ImageImageImage

Booker Discussion, news and highlights

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Where would you rank last year's Booker on the 2004-05 team?

Best player
11%
2nd best
19%
3rd best
36%
4th best
24%
5th best
10%

Total votes: 103

Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,382

Re: Booker Discussion, news and highlights 

Post#1021 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:19 am

David Kevin (@theIVpointplay) Tweeted:
Devin Booker in the clutch this season https://t.co/2xFlDMp37E
Read on Twitter
?s=20
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,074

Post#1022 » by bwgood77 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:08 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:David Kevin (@theIVpointplay) Tweeted:
Devin Booker in the clutch this season https://t.co/2xFlDMp37E
Read on Twitter
?s=20

That's pretty freaking awesome. What's even better about it is that he isn't having a very good shooting season and is still taking care of it and hitting them when it really matters.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,504

Post#1023 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:05 pm

Booker has been really impressive in the 4th quarter but what I like the most is that there's just less ISO-Book/Point Book down the stretch and I think he's really stepped up defensively too. You know the possessions where we do nothing for about 18 seconds and then Booker tries to create something from seemingly nothing in the 5-6s left. Outside of that Sacramento game where we couldn't get into the double digits points until LATE in the 4th, we've been killing it in the 4th quarter and Book has been huge for us.

Booker 2021-2022 4th Qtr stats
Assisted 2FGM %: 50% (+13%)
Assisted 3FGM %: 75% (+23%)
Assisted FGM %: 60% (+19%)
FG%: 48.8% (+8.7%)
3P%: 50% (+17.1%)
ORTG: 110.1
DRTG: 102.1
Net Rating: +8.0
Ast%: 22.6%
Ast/TO: 1.5
TS%: 53.5%
USG%: 30.8%
Pace: 102.1
% of team's FGA: 32.3%
% of team's 3FGA: 33.3%
% of team's points: 30.8%

Booker 2020-2021 4th Qtr stats
Assisted 2FGM %: 37%
Assisted 3FGM %: 52%
Assisted FGM %: 41%
FG%: 40.1%%
3P%: 32.9%
ORTG: 117.8
DRTG: 111.7
Net Rating: +6.1
Ast%: 18.8%
Ast/TO: 1.14
TS%: 52.7%
USG%: 32.7%
Pace: 96.1
% of team's FGA: 32.6%
% of team's 3FGA: 26.7%
% of team's points: 29.4%

Working with a smaller sample size at this point but there's clear improvements in the metrics when it comes to his play. He still accounts for roughly a third of the the team's 4th quarter shot attempts and about 30% of the points but he's getting more of those points from the 3 which he's also getting assisted on a lot more. He's moving the ball more with the higher assist rate and it's also great to see his A:T ratio has improved too.

For me, he's passed the eye test so far in the 4th quarter. A lot of those really annoying possessions where we slow things down to a crawl and expect something from CP3 (he's picked up the pace too this season) or Book have been significantly reduced and that has led to a more efficient and higher pace offense so far in the 4th.

2021-2022 Team 4th qtr stats:
Pts: 28.3pts
FG%: 50.2%
3P%: 38.5%
Ast: 6.3
Tov: 3.2
ORTG: 113.4
DRTG: 109.5
Net Rating: +3.9
AST%: 61%
TS%: 60.5%
Pace: 98.9 (6th in the league)

2020-2021 Team 4th qtr stats:
Pts: 27.1pts
FG%: 46.8%
3P%: 35.8%
Ast: 6.4
Tov: 3.1
ORTG: 113.6
DRTG: 111.5
Net Rating: +2.1
AST%: 62%
TS%: 58.1%
Pace: 95.1 (27th in the league)
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1024 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:24 am

Sam Cooper (@scooperhoops) Tweeted:
Good morning, Devin Booker is shooting a career high 38.5% from deep as of today
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Adi (@thatskindawild) Tweeted:
Book's Last 5 games
https://t.co/vNGquxe73L
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1025 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:52 am

David Kevin (@theIVpointplay) Tweeted:
Clutch Time is defined as 5 points or less & under 5 mins to go.

Tonight, Book went 2 of 3.

Taking his overall Clutch Time stats to:
11/15 FG
30 PTS
4 AST
0 TOS

And a league leading +36 in Clutch Time this season. https://t.co/0OV5tHQ3BN
Read on Twitter
?s=20
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,102

Post#1026 » by MrMiyagi » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:24 pm

11/15 FG
30 PTS
4 AST
0 TOS

Read on Twitter
?s=20

This improvement in Book's game has CP3 all over it. Remember when Book would just try to jack up a 3 late to tie/take the lead when there was still time left in the game to be played?
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1027 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:12 pm

MrMiyagi wrote:

11/15 FG
30 PTS
4 AST
0 TOS

Read on Twitter
?s=20

This improvement in Book's game has CP3 all over it. Remember when Book would just try to jack up a 3 late to tie/take the lead when there was still time left in the game to be played?

Yep! That calming presence and veteran poise is very beneficial for skillset development/ internal growth. :nod:
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#1028 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:52 pm

What Book lacks in CP3's pure ball handling wizardry to get to his midrange spot, he makes up for with more considerably more length, size and athleticism. So while he may not be able to get to his spot as well as CP3 off the dribble, he's been doing far less off the dribble crap and making quicker reads to get to his spot with 1 or 2 dribble moves and then shooting over guys.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,074

Post#1029 » by bwgood77 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:35 pm

Interesting writeup on Booker's 3 pt shooting here by David Nash. He mentions a couple of things I have mentioned I was happy about with Booker and his 3 pt shooting...more catch and shoots, which typically are more wide open too, and shooting more from the corners, which he is good at...I remember seeing him shoot it from the corners in the olympics and thought it would be nice to see if he shot more from the corners for us and noticed they started doing it this season.

Often shooting slumps & surges are viewed within the wrong context, in my opinion. We like to go straight to the idea that mechanics and/or form must have changed. When in actual fact, the true change is just situation. Much like I theorised with Jae, I’m willing to bet that the increase in Booker’s efficiency comes down to shot quality.

From the day Devin Booker burst onto the scene, he was labelled a shooter. Book didn’t just forget how to shoot from deep. He was instead preoccupied with the burden of carrying the franchise on his shoulders, being the only true offensive threat night after night & all while also taking on the challenge of adding new skills to his burgeoning overall game.

Chris Paul has taken over driving duties for now & D-Book gets to instead ride shotgun next to one of the best Point Guards of all time. They’ve been on the road together for a while & finally, Booker is enjoying sharing the trip with some consistent partners in Crowder, Deandre Ayton & Mikal Bridges. The bad Suns of old are in the rear vision mirror & Booker is instead seeing great views out ahead.

Let’s get into how Devin Booker is losing his man & why it’s helping the Suns winning streak, shall we?

Catch & Shoot
The first real indicator in improved shot quality we have seen this season for Booker is in his catch & shoot numbers. Currently finishing 3.1 attempts a game at a 43.6% clip.

First 6 Games: 28.6% (3.5 3PA)

Next 6 Games: 55.0% (3.3 3PA)

Last 6 Games: 50.0% (2.3 3PA)

If this trend were to hold for the entirety of the 21/22 NBA season, it would be a considerable improvement on the 37.8% Booker shot on just 2.6 3PAs last season. It would also mark the highest volume of catch & shoot attempts for Book since (you guessed it!) the 17/18 season, where he shot 40.4% on 3.3 3PAs.

It isn’t earth shattering stuff to see a direct correlation between an uptick in the catch & shoot opportunities Booker is comfortable with & an increase in overall efficiency.

Phoenix are doing a great job so far this season hitting Book in his spots.

From The Corners
As much as I like a good joke, the earlier reference to Booker hitting everything with his foot on the line wasn’t solely for comedic purposes. With that form & the corners currently 9 inches closer in, it should be no surprise that Booker is currently shooting 47% from left & right combined.

Left Corner: 50.0% (3 of 6)

Right Corner: 45.5% (5 of 11)

Total: 47.0% (8 of 17)

I can hear you yelling at me all the way Down Under - SMALL SAMPLE SIZE ALERT!

And you would be right. BUT, hear me out…..

Firstly in terms of the efficiency holding, Booker shot 51.4% on 35 attempts through 65 games last season. But think about that attempts number for a second. Just 35 in 65 games? That’s basically only 1 every 2 games. This season, Booker already has half the attempts (17) in just 18 games. The Suns have gone from getting him a corner look once every couple, to basically one each game. Booker is on track to blow all of his previous seasons out of the water in terms of attempts, which have been on the decline since (you guessed it!) the 17/18 season.

Dating back to that season, I’ve wanted Monty to try get Booker more looks from the corners & it seems the team is now in position to make that happen.

Left Wide Open
Booker is doing a considerable amount of damage to the opposition & more than a considerable amount of inflation to his shooting numbers, by punishing teams for leaving him open. As it stands, Book is being left ‘Wide Open’ (6+ Feet to the nearest defender) for 2.4 attempts a game from deep & is making 53.5% of said shots.

Tight (2-4 Feet): 10.5% (1.1 3PA)

Open (4-6 Feet): 37.8% (2.5 3PA)

Wide (6+ Feet): 53.5% (2.4 3PA)

Currently, 41% of Book’s 3PAs are classed as ‘Wide Open’ & the 2.4 total is more than any other season in his career thus far. Next best is 2.0 in (you guessed it!) the 17/18 season.

How does the best player on the team go UP in ‘Wide Open’ attempts year on year? Well, it’s not the only way but it starts with two simple words; D FENCE
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1030 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:23 pm

Phoenix Suns (@Suns) Tweeted:
A 50-50-90 week.

@DevinBook has been named the Western Conference Player of the Week! https://t.co/S5mtEnWwm3
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1031 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:31 pm

Kellan Olson (@KellanOlson) Tweeted:
Monty Williams said he gets amped up for every game and doesn’t get into the hoopla all that much. Does enjoy test Warriors present.

“They have everything we want. They have championships, they have MVPs, they have Defensive Player of the Years — they have all that. We don’t.”
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1032 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:36 pm

Duane Rankin (@DuaneRankin) Tweeted:
"He was the first person to tell me the truth."

Monty Williams on Steve Kerr when he interviewed for #Suns head coach job when Kerr was the GM and didn't get the job.

"Mont, you're not ready for this."

Williams said he needed that.
Read on Twitter
?s=20

What do you guys think he meant by saying that? Do you think it could've been an inference to Sarver himself being a major issue given his history.

Or could it be about the franchise itself being viewed an irreparable disaster with a horrible front office situation itself being a potential career killer for young coaches given its coaching carousel for so long? :dontknow:
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#1033 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:01 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:Duane Rankin (@DuaneRankin) Tweeted:
"He was the first person to tell me the truth."

Monty Williams on Steve Kerr when he interviewed for #Suns head coach job when Kerr was the GM and didn't get the job.

"Mont, you're not ready for this."

Williams said he needed that.
Read on Twitter
?s=20

What do you guys think he meant by saying that? Do you think it could've been an inference to Sarver himself being a major issue given his history.

Or could it be about the franchise itself being viewed an irreparable disaster with a horrible front office situation itself being a potential career killer for young coaches given its coaching carousel for so long? :dontknow:

If I recall, Monty hadn't had any head coaching experience yet during Kerr's time as the Suns GM and the Suns still had Amare/Nash and still had championship aspirations. Monty was still very young in his coaching career at the time and stepping into a team that had those aspirations would have been a lot to handle. It was a different time where first time coaches generally don't get head coaching jobs on title contenders. The Hornets that Monty took over was quite young, up and coming, wasn't chasing a title and was the better fit for a first time head coach as opposed to a team that was moving on from an elite coach in D'Antoni, had multiple WCF trips and was one of the most dangerous contenders over the past 3-4 years.

“The next time I talked to Steve … he just told me straight up, ‘Mont, you’re not ready for this job. I’m not even going to put you through this,'” Williams said.

Williams said the feedback from Kerr was humbling yet true.

Now, for Suns fans curious when this was, Williams didn’t say and it’s not 100% clear. But looking at when the Suns had head coaching openings during Kerr’s tenure as the team’s GM from 2007-10, it would have been either the summer of 2008 or 2009.

Kerr hired Terry Porter in ’08, and Porter was fired after 51 games. Alvin Gentry took over mid-sesaon on an interim basis, and then went on to be hired full time the following year.

An assistant in Portland at the time, Williams was still in his mid-30s working up the coaching ranks. He said Kerr’s honesty about the situation really allowed him to grow as a coach.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1034 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:04 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:What Book lacks in CP3's pure ball handling wizardry to get to his midrange spot, he makes up for with more considerably more length, size and athleticism. So while he may not be able to get to his spot as well as CP3 off the dribble, he's been doing far less off the dribble crap and making quicker reads to get to his spot with 1 or 2 dribble moves and then shooting over guys.

Isn't it a little crazy that two of our three core players (Booker and Ayton) need to specifically work on their ballhandling skillset to take their games to the next level. Ayton to become a top 5 big man, And Booker to potentially transition to a post paul lead guard role for us. I just wonder why ( pure speculation) they don't put a ton of emphasis on this aspect of their games in the offseason?

I mean don't they have elite trainers that the players themselves or the front office can hire to advance these areas/ skillsets in their games ( to the teams' benefit obviously). The old time greats of th he 80s' and 90s' utilized this often, Kobe, Jordan, etc.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#1035 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:31 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:What Book lacks in CP3's pure ball handling wizardry to get to his midrange spot, he makes up for with more considerably more length, size and athleticism. So while he may not be able to get to his spot as well as CP3 off the dribble, he's been doing far less off the dribble crap and making quicker reads to get to his spot with 1 or 2 dribble moves and then shooting over guys.

Isn't it a little crazy that two of our three core players ( Booker and Ayton) need to specifically work on their ballhandling skillset to take their games to the next level. Ayton to become a top 5 big man, And Booker to potentially transition to a post paul lead guard role for us. I just wonder why ( pure speculation) they don't put a ton of emphasis on this aspect of their games in the offseason?

Ball handling is incredibly important, it opens up the triple threat and allows the player to create his own shot. I don't believe you can be one of the top players without being able to create your own shot. But even then, there's levels to that shot creation ability. Booker for as good as a scorer he is, his ball handling could be even better and that would make him an even better scorer. Right now he still has issue with pressure defense and getting to his mid range shot is not easy without a good pick.

With Ayton, the more I watch him, the less I actually think his main issue is ball handling. A lot of times he's only one dribble away from the basket and it's something he has the ability to do but he either settles for the jumper (after a couple of jab steps) or passes out. His main issue imo is with his reads. Towns doesn't have an elite handle even for a big man like Embiid or AD does but he reads the floor well and makes his moves with confidence and determination. He seeks out contact, he drives to score and he looks to elevate. If you watch Ayton, how often is he actually looking to score even when he has the ball in his hand? And when he wants to score, how often is it a jab step jumper or a fadeaway rather than a drive? He doesn't play like a guy that is looking to score and that's fine if his role is to be the the 4th or 5th option but we need him to be more than that.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1036 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:39 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:

Isn't it a little crazy that two of our three core players ( Booker and Ayton) need to specifically work on their ballhandling skillset to take their games to the next level. Ayton to become a top 5 big man, And Booker to potentially transition to a post paul lead guard role for us. I just wonder why ( pure speculation) they don't put a ton of emphasis on this aspect of their games in the offseason?

Ball handling is incredibly important, it opens up the triple threat and allows the player to create his own shot. I don't believe you can be one of the top players without being able to create your own shot. But even then, there's levels to that shot creation ability. Booker for as good as a scorer he is, his ball handling could be even better and that would make him an even better scorer. Right now he still has issue with pressure defense and getting to his mid range shot is not easy without a good pick.

With Ayton, the more I watch him, the less I actually think his main issue is ball handling. A lot of times he's only one dribble away from the basket and it's something he has the ability to do but he either settles for the jumper (after a couple of jab steps) or passes out. His main issue imo is with his reads. Towns doesn't have an elite handle even for a big man like Embiid or AD does but he reads the floor well and makes his moves with confidence and determination. He seeks out contact, he drives to score and he looks to elevate. If you watch Ayton, how often is he actually looking to score even when he has the ball in his hand? And when he wants to score, how often is it a jab step jumper or a fadeaway rather than a drive? He doesn't play like a guy that is looking to score and that's fine if his role is to be the the 4th or 5th option but we need him to be more than that.

I agree with your points man. And would love to see Booker advance his ballhandling more so that he can break those pressure defenses, and be one even more lethal as an iso scorer which would subsequently also open his playmaking/ facilitating to greater assist numbers too.

And for Ayton, I do love his unselfish nature. But he's just so damn elite at/ around the rim that IF he could just advance his ballhandling skillset further, I believe his gravity he creates could be even greater. Plus if he has the ball in his hands more, driving to the rim more often, I believe his free throw generation would increase as a side effect of that as well as his percieved dominance by opposing defenders. :D

** I still would really like him to workout personally with Olajuwan in his dream camp, As I do see many potential parallels between them. And think Olajuwan could be Aytons' Apex outcome. Or perhaps a mix of Olajuwan and Ewing ( sans Ewings physicality yet)? :-?
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#1037 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:25 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:

I agree with your points man. And would love to see Booker advance his ballhandling more so that he can break those pressure defenses, and be one even more lethal as an iso scorer which would subsequently also open his playmaking/ facilitating to greater assist numbers too.

And for Ayton, I do love his unselfish nature. But he's just so damn elite at/ around the rim that IF he could just advance his ballhandling skillset further, I believe his gravity he creates could be even greater. Plus if he has the ball in his hands more, driving to the rim more often, I believe his free throw generation would increase as a side effect of that as well as his percieved dominance by opposing defenders. :D

** I still would really like him to workout personally with Olajuwan in his dream camp, As I do see many potential parallels between them. And think Olajuwan could be Aytons' Apex outcome. Or perhaps a mix of Olajuwan and Ewing ( sans Ewings physicality yet)? :-?

I don't know about the whole Olajuwan thing. I'm not saying he won't benefit from working with the Dream but right now I feel like his issue is might be even more basic whereas an Olajuwan camp might be working on more advanced offensive (and defensive) stuff. The fact that offense against even a guard in the post is an issue are signs that either he's overthinking things or he's just not comfortable.
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,150

Post#1038 » by bigfoot » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:40 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:

Yes ... this team's window is only as big as CP3's fight against father time. Realistically we are looking at 2-3 more years max. He would turn 37 during this season's playoff run. In three years he would be 40 in the playoffs. Stockon put up 10 pts and 7 assists and nearly 2 steals when he was 40 so it is possible. Still, if he has a major drop-off next season then the Suns can opt-out of his $30M contract in 23/24. If he's still playing at a fairly high level then we are stuck with Booker, Paul, Ayton. Gotta hope that is enough to win in chip this year or in the next two.

The Suns need to be prepared to find the CP3 replacement. So figure we lock up Ayton for $20M-$28M this summer. That means free agents are an unlikely source. If at any time next season, the team is stagnating, I would guess the Suns look at moving Ayton plus change for a big name on an expiring deal. Siakam and Towns are likely candidates. Either of them gives a ball-handling/playing making/3-point shooting big to pair with Booker and Bridges.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1039 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Dec 1, 2021 6:15 am

FLEX From Jersey (@FlexFromJersey) Tweeted:
Devin Booker is going to be fine! Mild Left hamstring strain. Should be fine in a week or two. Suns will be extremely cautious this early in the season.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1040 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:15 am

Dave King (@DaveKingNBA) Tweeted:
Lived up to his promise!
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Return to Phoenix Suns