ImageImageImage

Official Celtics 2022 Off-Season Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,747

Re: Official Celtics 2021-22 Season Thread, 2nd Edition 

Post#301 » by Larry_Russell » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:14 am

Nesmith will be more than fine, right now just needs to simplify himself.

I expected more from him, but at the same time and not overly surprised at his start to the season.

I want nothing more right now than for him to just spot up on the 3pt line on the weak side for those kick out swing passes. Then just be squared up and ready to let fly.

I do not want him initiating offense, I do not want him on the strong side offensively. Just spotting up on the weak side. When tatum/BRown/Smart/Schroder drive, the defense will always collapse and he will be wide open after the kick out pass and the swing over. I think he can hit well over 40% of those shots. ANd those shots are crippling to the opponents. They struggle to get the ball out of tatums hands only to have NEsmith bury an open 3.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,841

Post#302 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:49 am

zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#303 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:34 pm

15 of Celtics next 18 games are against .500-or-over teams. The other 3 are barely under. Winning is tough this season. Not too many gimmes on the schedule.

Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,541

Post#304 » by Celts17Pride » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:57 pm

Read on Twitter

Offense sucks!
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,141

Post#305 » by playa-hater » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:19 am

Celts17Pride wrote:
Read on Twitter

Offense sucks!

But our defense :-?

If this is our average, what might our offense look like the next 20 games with our tougher schedule??
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#306 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:41 am

The Jays have 11 total assists to each other. That's 1 per game. Is this by design? Lol. You can get an assist just by accident.

I'm now on the pier waiting for my dinghy to Break the Jays Up Island. Ready to get flamed.

What's the best we can get for Jaylen++? Someone who's a better fit on both ends?
La Flame
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,104

Post#307 » by La Flame » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:47 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:The Jays have 11 total assists to each other. That's 1 per game. Is this by design? Lol. You can get an assist just by accident.

I'm now on the pier waiting for my dinghy to Break the Jays Up Island. Ready to get flamed.

What's the best we can get for Jaylen++? Someone who's a better fit on both ends?

We need to get a real coach and a real point guard for at least once before I'd try to break it up.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#308 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:01 am

La Flame wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:The Jays have 11 total assists to each other. That's 1 per game. Is this by design? Lol. You can get an assist just by accident.

We need to get a real coach and a real point guard for at least once before I'd try to break it up.

We already had a real coach in Stevens. Jays stopped listening? They seem to have approved of Ime. Replace him, no assurance the next guy's any better and you become the SAC Kings with zero stability.

How many "real point guards" are there nowadays? Pls don't include Rubio or Conley. We want a gamechanger. So Trae, Doncic, Curry, CP, Harden, Ja, Jokic, Simmons, maybe LaMelo. Not getting any of those without giving up Jaylen.
La Flame
Bench Warmer

Post#309 » by La Flame » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:08 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
La Flame wrote:

We already had a real coach in Stevens. Jays stopped listening? They seem to have approved of Ime. Replace him, no assurance the next guy's any better and you become the SAC Kings with zero stability.

How many "real point guards" are there nowadays? Pls don't include Rubio or Conley. We want a gamechanger. So Trae, Doncic, Curry, CP, Harden, Ja, Jokic, maybe LaMelo. Not getting any of those.

Good pointguards grow on trees nowadays. Every year you have a chance to get one in the late lottery. Even Cole Anthony is a better PG than anyone we have on this team. Smart brings a lot of value, but he's not really the pointguard for this team. Personally hoping to snag SGA somehow
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#310 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:23 am

La Flame wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
La Flame wrote:

How many "real point guards" are there nowadays? Pls don't include Rubio or Conley. We want a gamechanger. So Trae, Doncic, Curry, CP, Harden, Ja, Jokic, maybe LaMelo. Not getting any of those.

Good pointguards grow on trees nowadays. Every year you have a chance to get one in the late lottery. Even Cole Anthony is a better PG than anyone we have on this team. Smart brings a lot of value, but he's not really the pointguard for this team. Personally hoping to snag SGA somehow

You'd know better since I haven't really watched other teams outside of the Cs but I feel those two are more scoring guards who are labeled PGs and not the distributing type. We already did that with Kyrie and Kemba.
akidlittle
Sophomore
And1: 116

Post#311 » by akidlittle » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:27 am

I'd do something like "Brown+Smart for Simmons+Thybulle+Maxey".
1) We are not going to be contenders with our current roster anyway. Like it's better to try something different, if you know that the current flow of things doesn't satisfy you.
2) Doing this trade we add much more playmaking whereas we are not losing in the defensive end.
3) And I guess it's more then obvious that the Jays don't fit well together. They need to be separated
pac213up
General Manager
And1: 3,797

Post#312 » by pac213up » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:05 pm

Roster has good talent, just not balanced at least with who is getting the minutes. Need more shooting on the court for a larger % of the game. Teams are doubling Tatum, knowing he is slow to read it and even when he does there is no one to fear shooing the ball except JB.
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,966

Post#313 » by cl2117 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:46 pm

akidlittle wrote:I'd do something like "Brown+Smart for Simmons+Thybulle+Maxey".
1) We are not going to be contenders with our current roster anyway. Like it's better to try something different, if you know that the current flow of things doesn't satisfy you.
2) Doing this trade we add much more playmaking whereas we are not losing in the defensive end.
3) And I guess it's more then obvious that the Jays don't fit well together. They need to be separated

I don't love it, but after the fact I could get on board with that kind of trade. You'd probably have to send Schroder as well since they'd need more help at PG (unless they keep Smart as PG).

It gets way too big, but I'd try and swap JRich for Curry as well to get more shooting after losing Brown's and getting Simmons' black hole skillset. Either that or drop out Thybulle and Smart, but think that's a loss in value coming our way.

I think with the way Maxey is playing though you're gonna run into issues with Daryl not wanting to move him. I honestly don't know how the Simmons saga will play out because it feels like he's going to wait until another team is similarly desperate and hope that he can swap Simmons for a KAT/Beal/Brown type player.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
La Flame
Bench Warmer

Post#314 » by La Flame » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:26 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
La Flame wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:We already had a real coach in Stevens. Jays stopped listening? They seem to have approved of Ime. Replace him, no assurance the next guy's any better and you become the SAC Kings with zero stability.

You'd know better since I haven't really watched other teams outside of the Cs but I feel those two are more scoring guards who are labeled PGs and not the distributing type. We already did that with Kyrie and Kemba.

Kyrie was a ballstopper and Kemba was bad. But as simple as someone who can slash like Schroder but can also actually hit 3s and pass, brings a different look. This offense has been very stale for years now.

I wouldn't say they are just scoring guards, they are decision makers. Always putting pressure on the defense and making the correct reads more often than not. IT was the last good pg we had that did pg things
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#315 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:00 am

Celtics now up to 17th in assist percentage. "Take that, Boss Brad." -- Coach Ime

Team still can't shoot for ****. Except Grant. Grant is special.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,528

Post#316 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:22 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:Celtics now up to 17th in assist percentage. "Take that, Boss Brad." -- Coach Ime

Team still can't shoot for ****. Except Grant. Grant is special.

It would be awesome if he remained a 50-40-90 guy for the rest of the season.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#317 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:25 am

It seems as if the rotation is up to 10 guys that have Ime's confidence (Enes being the 10th).

2-3 more are pretty much assured of multiple additional chances to earn it (Pritchard, Nesmith, perhaps Parker too).

Juancho and Bruno seem buried for now, as are the 2-way guys.
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,555

Post#318 » by Shak_Celts » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:11 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:It seems as if the rotation is up to 10 guys that have Ime's confidence (Enes being the 10th).

2-3 more are pretty much assured of multiple additional chances to earn it (Pritchard, Nesmith, perhaps Parker too).

He doesn't trust NS, probably be out the rotation again if Rob ever stays healthy... :banghead:
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#319 » by Gomes3PC » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:53 pm

I think that is more of a reflection of the fact that neither is very good off the ball than anything else. Both those guys find ways to make plays for much lesser players. The difference is neither of the Jays really has figured out how to impact offense away from having the ball in their hands.

Tatum does to some degree by his sheer gravity pulling defenders away from his teammates, but how he leverages that gravity and his ability to move without the ball is pretty disappointing TBH. Brown is a little better as he does a good job running the floor on the break and can cut to the basket more effectively, but he still probably doesn't do it enough. I honestly can't remember the last time I saw Tatum cut without the ball.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#320 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:55 pm

Shak_Celts wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:It seems as if the rotation is up to 10 guys that have Ime's confidence (Enes being the 10th).

He doesn't trust NS, probably be out the rotation again if Rob ever stays healthy... :banghead:

If you mean Enes -- we'll see, but leaving him at the end of yesterday's game is evidence the other way.

Enes of course also has a lot of off-court distractions. But I'm guessing he's hit his stride with respect to those.

Return to Boston Celtics