Re: Keeping JTA and GP2 long term 

Post#2 » by Coxy » Sun Dec 5, 2021 12:37 pm

Priorities.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,367

Post#3 » by GSWFan1994 » Sun Dec 5, 2021 3:42 pm

Yeah... I thought about making a similar thread yesterday (then forgot it).

Enjoy this team while it lasts... it will get very costly to keep both JTA and Payton, and also Porter and Bjelica.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#4 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Sun Dec 5, 2021 4:18 pm

Could also be the last season for Bjelica, Porter, Lee, Iguodala and Looney.

Hopefully Wiseman, Moody and Kuminga can step it up next season if we lose Bjelica, Porter, Anderson, Payton, Lee, Iguodala and Looney.

That's a lot of fantastic role players. As a fan it's going to be a fun off-season.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#5 » by xdrta+ » Sun Dec 5, 2021 6:20 pm

I doubt there will be much of a market for either JTA or GPII. Both turn 30 next season, both are limited offensively, and get by on hustle, defense, and smarts. Those aren't the traits that are really prized in today's NBA. Payton was cut by 4 teams before he caught on here, and I think teams can see how he fits with the Warriors but would he fit elsewhere? Not so much. Same goes for Juan.

Some people thought there would be a market for Looney before he signed his contract here, but again, too many limitations. Undersized, non-shooting center, there's no market for them. Same thing with these two, too many limitations.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,212

Post#6 » by wco81 » Sun Dec 5, 2021 6:22 pm

It's all going to come down to how well they shoot when left alone in the perimeter.

In the playoffs, if teams ignore them, they can't get minutes.

High energy will only carry you so far. In crucial possessions, they have to be able to hit open looks or they will load up on Curry and Klay even more.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,135

Post#7 » by cpower » Sun Dec 5, 2021 7:29 pm

We should get Porter and GP2 back. Porter is an amazing 3p shooter..GP2 just does so many small things. JTA is not bad but will see very limited time come ps time
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#8 » by Samurai » Sun Dec 5, 2021 7:36 pm

cpower wrote:We should get Porter and GP2 back. Porter is an amazing 3p shooter..GP2 just does so many small things. JTA is not bad but will see very limited time come ps time

If Porter proves he can stay healthy, I think that he would be out of our price range. I think the only reason he signed the minimum with us was to prove to the league that he can stay healthy and get a bigger payday.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,185

Post#9 » by clyde21 » Sun Dec 5, 2021 8:38 pm

we'll get other vets, the key is finding vets that fit what we do, Myers did that well this last season with Porter and Bjelica and bringing Iggy back, but the previous two he didn't...we'll see what happens.

but that's the point of having rookies scale guy for 5 years, Moody and Minga should be able to contribute at consistent levels next year, that's way more important than bringing JTA/Payton back. Wise is much more questionable we'll see what he looks like this season.

that said, i'd rather keep JTA/Payton than Poole if it came down to that choice.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#10 » by clyde21 » Sun Dec 5, 2021 8:40 pm

Samurai wrote:
cpower wrote:We should get Porter and GP2 back. Porter is an amazing 3p shooter..GP2 just does so many small things. JTA is not bad but will see very limited time come ps time

If Porter proves he can stay healthy, I think that he would be out of our price range. I think the only reason he signed the minimum with us was to prove to the league that he can stay healthy and get a bigger payday.

he can go, with Wiggy and Klay back, and Moody/Kuminga more ready, we won't really need his mins next yr anways. i'd be more interested in retaining Bjelica.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,743

Post#11 » by azwfan » Sun Dec 5, 2021 9:36 pm

If we can have 2 rotation players next season out of Wiseman / Kuminga / Moody then it won't be as vital that we keep all of our minimum guys.

I would like to keep GP2. He's been a difference maker in most (if not all) of the games he's played.

I would hope Moody can replace Lee.
JTA i'd love to keep if he's at a minimum or minimum +20%.
I don't think Kuminga will be consistent enough to replace Porter but if we can keep JTA that may mitigate some of the likely loss.
If Wiseman can eat some minutes at center, I think Belly or someone like him is possible. I'm not seeing Belly getting a big contract.
I got no clue on Looney (also a FA). Some days I want him back and other days I don't wanna look at him. Think he's fine at his number. Think it will take a leap from Wiseman for him to be a suitable fulltime replacement for him... and we may be expecting too much from the FO to find a Looney replacement at less money.

Don't see how we replace Iguodala's experience realistically.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 850

Post#12 » by DevinVassell » Mon Dec 6, 2021 12:49 am

Retaining both JTA and GPII on long term contracts should be a no brainer. Great teams need depth, long term cohesion and more importantly players who can contribute on CHEAP contracts. I'd rather not be looking for minimum scrapheap guys every off season.

I have to admit it bothers me Steph (how rich is he??) didn't even give the team a minor discount on his contract extension. A few mil? Nope, nothing, nada. He better not complain when his little warrior brothers making minimum leave for greener pastures.
wco81
RealGM

Post#13 » by wco81 » Mon Dec 6, 2021 12:54 am

azwfan wrote:If we can have 2 rotation players next season out of Wiseman / Kuminga / Moody then it won't be as vital that we keep all of our minimum guys.

I would like to keep GP2. He's been a difference maker in most (if not all) of the games he's played.

I don't think Kuminga will be consistent enough to replace Porter but if we can keep JTA that may mitigate some of the likely loss.
If Wiseman can eat some minutes at center, I think Belly or someone like him is possible. I'm not seeing Belly getting a big contract.
I got no clue on Looney (also a FA). Some days I want him back and other days I don't wanna look at him. Think he's fine at his number. Think it will take a leap from Wiseman for him to be a suitable fulltime replacement for him... and we may be expecting too much from the FO to find a Looney replacement at less money.

The issue with Kuminga and Moody, or any role player, is the ability to hit shots well enough to force teams to keep defenders on them.

You can see how excited Curry and Green get when Porter hits 3s.

They haven't had that for awhile now. At the start of the season, Porter was maybe at most the 3rd option after Curry and Poole. Teams gave him open looks and he hit a lot of them.

Porter and Bjelica started out hot but you're happy if they can hit around 37-38%, over 40% from the corners.

Even 35% from Kuminga and Moody on 2-4 attempts a game would be huge.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#14 » by xdrta+ » Mon Dec 6, 2021 1:08 am

DevinVassell wrote:Retaining both JTA and GPII on long term contracts should be a no brainer. Great teams need depth, long term cohesion and more importantly players who can contribute on CHEAP contracts. I'd rather not be looking for minimum scrapheap guys every off season.

I have to admit it bothers me Steph (how rich is he??) didn't even give the team a minor discount on his contract extension. A few mil? Nope, nothing, nada. He better not complain when his little warrior brothers making minimum leave for greener pastures.

Curry taking a discount wouldn't have freed up any money for other players. Until they can get under the cap (a long way off) the amounts they can pay any of these minimum players is set in stone.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#15 » by clyde21 » Mon Dec 6, 2021 2:09 am

DevinVassell wrote:Retaining both JTA and GPII on long term contracts should be a no brainer. Great teams need depth, long term cohesion and more importantly players who can contribute on CHEAP contracts. I'd rather not be looking for minimum scrapheap guys every off season.

steph could've taken 50% and it wouldn't have mattered because warriors were already over
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Post#16 » by WarriorGM » Mon Dec 6, 2021 2:25 am

Did you see Messi's recent $674 million contract? That's closer to what Curry should be making. Lacob could double what's he's currently paying in penalties and it would still be a bargain.
wco81
RealGM

Post#17 » by wco81 » Mon Dec 6, 2021 2:32 am

xdrta+ wrote:

Curry taking a discount wouldn't have freed up any money for other players. Until they can get under the cap (a long way off) the amounts they can pay any of these minimum players is set in stone.

Though maybe it would make Lacob more likely to pay the luxury tax on an MLE contract if say Curry took at least $5 million a year less?

So they could give one of these minimum contract guys a MLE deal.

They should do it anyways, if they're key contributor to the team, including through the playoffs.

But could have lower the luxury tax bite on an MLE contract next year.

Spurs possibly extended the Duncan/Ginobli/Parker core when Duncan and Ginobli took discounts, which allowed them to pay Green and Kawhi, their first big contracts.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,743

Post#18 » by azwfan » Mon Dec 6, 2021 2:58 am

wco81 wrote:
azwfan wrote:If we can have 2 rotation players next season out of Wiseman / Kuminga / Moody then it won't be as vital that we keep all of our minimum guys.

The issue with Kuminga and Moody, or any role player, is the ability to hit shots well enough to force teams to keep defenders on them.

You can see how excited Curry and Green get when Porter hits 3s.

They haven't had that for awhile now. At the start of the season, Porter was maybe at most the 3rd option after Curry and Poole. Teams gave him open looks and he hit a lot of them.

Porter and Bjelica started out hot but you're happy if they can hit around 37-38%, over 40% from the corners.

Even 35% from Kuminga and Moody on 2-4 attempts a game would be huge.

I don't think 35/36% from Moody is out of the realm of possibility. Not so sure about Kuminga. I'd be happy with low 30's from Kuminga. Even at low 30's if he's defending at a high level and attacking the basket, that can be a big plus.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
HabsAndDubs
Senior
And1: 489

Post#19 » by HabsAndDubs » Tue Dec 7, 2021 7:00 pm

I think JTA is a Warriors lifer, but I can’t imagine them being able to afford GP2 whenever his deal is done. Everyone already knew he was an elite defender, but this season people are realizing that he’s actually a better contributor on both ends, and he can probably give you 25-30 minutes a night, especially on a middling team. I expect it’ll be the same situation the Lakers had with Alex Caruso- you give him what you can offer to keep the bigger pieces around him, but some team gives him a much better, and more equitable deal, and he takes it. I hope they can sign him though, he’s been so great.

For JTA, I think it’s his preference to stay here, and I don’t know how much more he could get from another team- there are a lot of JTAs out there. If the Warriors offer him a UD-type deal ie we’ll give you the vet min until your legs give out, and after that we’ll figure a way to give you some off court role on the team, I can’t see him turning it down to make like what, 3 mil on Orlando?
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#20 » by and1GS » Tue Dec 7, 2021 7:50 pm

What's the most we can offer GP2? taxpayer MLE I'd assume? That might even be too much for him. As others have said, all comes down to how well he shoots from range.

JTA we can re-sign him for his current deal, which is market rate. He has good and bad games, but I don't think any team looks at him and sees a top 7 rotation guy or even a 4-5M guy.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in

Return to Golden State Warriors