ImageImageImage

Pick the Best BBIQ's on the Celtics - (New Revised Poll)

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Revised: Pick your 5 Highest BBIQ Celtics

Horford
23%
Smart
20%
Grant W.
20%
Tatum
13%
Pritchard
3%
White
13%
Robert W.
7%
Jaylen
No votes
3rd String - (Nesmith, Theis, Kornet, Hauser, [Brodric])
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 30

djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Pick the Best BBIQ's on the Celtics - (New Revised Poll) 

Post#1 » by djFan71 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:51 pm

Below, is a copy of the Old Poll, by djFan71.
I added a New Revised Poll. Since we lost some players, and gained others.

So let's have at it, again.
And see who is who, for the remainder of the Regular Season.

~ Parl

Obviously, the definition of BBIQ is debatable, but basically who do you think knows the game the best on the team. Pick up to 4 and discuss.

Note: I could only have 10 options so left off the short-termers Dennis & Enes. Write them in the comments if you feel they are top 4.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Re: Best BBIQ on Cs 

Post#2 » by Feed Your Head » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:56 pm

Smart, Tatum, Al, Grant probably?
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,865

Post#3 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:58 pm

I nominate this subforum as the only voting option.
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,829

Post#4 » by truth18 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:16 pm

The real question: who has the best barbecue IQ on the team?

I'm thinking Smart, Rob and Pritch could cook up some nice ribs.
YOU LOSE
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,607

Post#5 » by BK_2020 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:42 pm

I would guess Nesmith, Tatum, Marcus, and Timelord have the best BBQ on the Cs just based on where they are from.
The dark horse is Jaylen since Georgia, while not known for BBQ, is next to four states famous for BBQs.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by djFan71 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:07 pm

I feel like Josh is another darkhorse in the BBQ race. Went to school in Tennessee.

I also threw him a vote in the BBIQ race. I really agree with Comedian's list, but decided to forgo Al since he's ancient and has an unfair accumulated wisdom advantage. I went Josh, Tatum, Smart, Grant.
pac213up
General Manager
And1: 3,797

Post#7 » by pac213up » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:11 pm

Al by a fair margin. Smart's shot selection is a disqualifier for me, everything else about his game is high BBIQ stuff though.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#8 » by Feed Your Head » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:15 pm

djFan71 wrote:I feel like Josh is another darkhorse in the BBQ race. Went to school in Tennessee.

I also threw him a vote in the BBIQ race. I really agree with Comedian's list, but decided to forgo Al since he's ancient and has an unfair accumulated wisdom advantage. I went Josh, Tatum, Smart, Grant.

Josh is like never out of position defensively, same for Romeo actually. Josh just infinitely better than Romeo on the other end.

People will argue against Smart and Tatum due to the shots they take, but Smart barely even shoots at this point. And Tatum has to deal with defenses throwing everything at him, so of course there will be some bad shots and turnovers. But there’s a reason for the countless articles about how quickly he picks things up.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,858

Post#9 » by Jammer » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:15 pm

I voted Al Horford, Rob Williams III, Josh Richardson and Payton Pritchard. Think everyone else is lacking in decision making at crucial times.

Tatum going too much ISO on his bad days, and continuing to fire on his bad days, irks the hell out of me yet Tatum is probaby one of the higher IQ's on the team, shot selection and shot forcing aside.

Smart would probably be my 5th choice, but I get angst from his shot selection some games, especially when he's not hitting but keeps shooting. But I'd put Mahcus above Jayson Tatum in terms of straight IQ for the game. Smart sets some pretty decent screens, while Tatum rarely gives up his body.

Grant's offensive game is SO LIMITED it's hard to give him credit for his seal-offs and picks, but he probably should be in the discussion simply on his picks and seals. However, 0.6 Assists per game from 22 minutes of court time blows. Richardson's is not much higher (1.4 apg in 25 mpg) but Richardson seems to flow with the offense better.

I guess I'm thinking:

Al Horford
Payton Pritchard
Rob Williams III
Josh Richardson
Mahcus Smaat
Jayson Tatum
Grant Williams

Pritchard only averages 1.8 apg in 12.9 pmg, but Pritch has an Assist % of 24.6%, which means he actually does pass quite a bit to teammates in scoring position. The only player with a higher assist % is Mahcus Smaat, who boasts 29.9%.

Everyone else has serious issues with what they see, and don't react to quick enough or with the optimal decision or simply poor judgement, in the course of a game.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by djFan71 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:31 pm

Jammer wrote:Grant's offensive game is SO LIMITED it's hard to give him credit for his seal-offs and picks, but he probably should be in the discussion simply on his picks and seals. However, 0.6 Assists per game from 22 minutes of court time blows.

Agreed, but assist #s are mainly due to role. He's a spacer / drive close outs guy. Assists just aren't in that package yet. If we gave him the ball in the post, or he gets more advanced on his close out driving, that could change.
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,441

Post#11 » by SichtingLives » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:31 pm

Imagine Perk, Tony Allen, Big Baby, Leon Powe and PJ Brown cooking up some BBQ? gettin down on a rib eating contest? Dang. I'd pay for that on ppv. No wonder that team was so good
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,226

Post#12 » by Parliament10 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:35 pm

I voted Horford, Smart, Grant & Rob.

Rob has a really good BBIQ, and I think that will show more and more.
Grant has good Basketball Strategy. But, he also makes what he thinks are necessary fouls.
Smart has Great BBIQ. Except, that he thinks he's Michael Jordan, when shooting.
Horford has impeccable BBIQ. Though, his body may not be able to do, what his mind thinks anymore.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,312

Post#13 » by Captain_Caveman » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:51 pm

If Smart and Horford aren't your top 2, basketball is not for you.

Pritchard and Tatum probably next, but Grant and Richardson fair enough.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,312

Post#14 » by Captain_Caveman » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:05 pm

I mean... Marcus and Al are the only two guys who can run an offense or direct a defense. The 3rd name on the list is maaaaybe 30% of those guys in terms of BBIQ.

Being smart at a limited role like Grant or Richardson is not even close to the same thing as a being guy that not only has to do everything, but also direct his teammates as to their roles in the process. How many times a guy do you see Smart barking out assignments to his teammates and even shoving them into position?

Absolute crazy talk to not have those guys as your top two.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,529

Post#15 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:22 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:I mean... Marcus and Al are the only two guys who can run an offense or direct a defense. The 3rd name on the list is maaaaybe 30% of those guys in terms of BBIQ.

Being smart at a limited role like Grant or Richardson is not even close to the same thing as a being guy that not only has to do everything, but also direct his teammates as to their roles in the process. How many times a guy do you see Smart barking out assignments to his teammates and even shoving them into position?

Absolute crazy talk to not have those guys as your top two.

The 4 vocal defensive leaders seem to be Horford, Smart, Grant Williams and, recently, Rob Williams as well.

The main candidates to put above any of those for reading the situation at the offensive end are Tatum, Richardson, Pritchard, and Langford.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Jammer
General Manager

Post#16 » by Jammer » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:58 pm

Tatum and Brown are high volume scorers.

Tatum has a pedestrian Effective FG % of 48 (factoring in 2's vs. 3's), and a meager Points Per Shot of 1.194.

What's keeping Tatum from entering the stratosphere of the NBA's truly efficient scorers is his Brain. Not making the right choices of when to shoot, and what type of shot.

If Tatum ever sees the light on offense, and it will truly be an awakening if he does, then perhaps he can approach a truly effient scorer:

Kevin Durant 1.444 Points Per Shot 57 % Effective FG%
Steph Curry 1.344 Points Per Shot 56% Effective FG%
Jayson Tatum 1.194 Points Per Shot 48% Effective FG%

Tatum averages 21.5 Shots Per Game

If Tatum could elevate from 1.194 to 1.34 Points Per Shot he'd score 3.1 MORE POINTS PER GAME on the same # of shots.
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,829

Post#17 » by truth18 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:05 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:If Smart and Horford aren't your top 2, basketball is not for you.

Pritchard and Tatum probably next, but Grant and Richardson fair enough.

But what's your take on BBQIQ?
YOU LOSE
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,607

Post#18 » by BK_2020 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:15 pm

Jammer wrote:Tatum and Brown are high volume scorers.

Tatum has a pedestrian True Shooting % of 48, and a meager Points Per Shot of 1.194.

What's keeping Tatum from entering the stratosphere of the NBA's truly efficient scorers is his Brain. Not making the right choices of when to shoot, and what type of shot.

If Tatum ever sees the light on offense, and it will truly be an awakening if he does, then perhaps he can approach a truly effient scorer:

Kevin Durant 1.444 Points Per Shot 57 % True Shooting %
Steph Curry 1.344 Points Per Shot 56% True Shooting %
Jayson Tatum 1.194 Points Per Shot 48% True Shooting %

If Tatum could elevate from 1.194 to 1.34 Points Per Shot he'd score 3.1 MORE POINTS PER GAME on the same # of shots.

Tatum's TS% is .531 but yeah he could do better.
Jammer
General Manager

Post#19 » by Jammer » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:25 pm

Jammer wrote:Tatum and Brown are high volume scorers.

Tatum has a pedestrian Effective FG % of 48, and a meager Points Per Shot of 1.194.

Kevin Durant 1.444 Points Per Shot 57 % Effective FG%
Steph Curry 1.344 Points Per Shot 56% Effective FG%
Jayson Tatum 1.194 Points Per Shot 48% Effective FG%

BK_2020 wrote:Tatum's TS% is .531 but yeah he could do better.

Good catch. I corrected my earlier post by switching True Shooting % to Effective FG% (simply adjusts for 3's and 2's, rather than also adding in fouls). Nonetheless, Tatum is way below where he PROBABLY could be if he were more thoughtful about his opportunities, and CLEARLY WAY BELOW HIGHER IQ Players like Steph Curry and Kevin Durant, who are not just simply better shooters, but better thinkers as well.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by djFan71 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:18 pm

It may be non-recency bias (coined that right now), but for Rob to be considered he needs to be in the right spot more on both ends. He's way better than he used to be, but still not what I'd consider top of the line BBIQ. His passing is nice, but we're really talking a few nice passes a week. It's not like we can run the offense thru him like we do Al.

Return to Boston Celtics