ImageImageImage

Pick the Best BBIQ's on the Celtics - (New Revised Poll)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Revised: Pick your 5 Highest BBIQ Celtics

Horford
23%
Smart
20%
Grant W.
20%
Tatum
13%
Pritchard
3%
White
13%
Robert W.
7%
Jaylen
No votes
3rd String - (Nesmith, Theis, Kornet, Hauser, [Brodric])
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 30

Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,625

Re: Best BBIQ on Cs 

Post#21 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:19 pm

truth18 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:If Smart and Horford aren't your top 2, basketball is not for you.

Pritchard and Tatum probably next, but Grant and Richardson fair enough.

But what's your take on BBQIQ?

It's rather saucy.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#22 » by BostonCouchGM » Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:48 am

It's between Pritchard and Horford. I've seen Pritchard have to direct the Jays where to be on the floor. Horford knows his stuff too. lmao at people voting Smart. WTF? He may have elite BBIQ on the defensive end but his abysmal BBIQ on offense negates it, thus disqualifying him
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,391

Post#23 » by Triple7 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:33 am

Any one but Smart lol. That guy has the lowest iq in basketball. Too many bone headed plays and bad basketball decisions.

Lol smart got a lot of homers in here smh!
TheOGJabroni
Head Coach
And1: 1,992

Post#24 » by TheOGJabroni » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:49 pm

Triple7 wrote:Any one but Smart lol. That guy has the lowest iq in basketball. Too many bone headed plays and bad basketball decisions.

Smart to me is the really bright kid that just shuts his brain off from time to time and gets into something really stupid. He understands the game really well but then goes and does something that will certainly make you question that.

I also just can't accept him having the lowest IQ when guys like JaVale McGee are still kickin around :lol:
Triple7
RealGM

Post#25 » by Triple7 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:55 pm

TheOGJabroni wrote:
Triple7 wrote:Any one but Smart lol. That guy has the lowest iq in basketball. Too many bone headed plays and bad basketball decisions.

Smart to me is the really bright kid that just shuts his brain off from time to time and gets into something really stupid. He understands the game really well but then goes and does something that will certainly make you question that.

I also just can't accept him having the lowest IQ when guys like JaVale McGee are still kickin around :lol:

He’s on that level. JR smith level. Enough with the excuses already lol. You don’t see guys like CP3, rajon rondo or even Lebron do stupid stuff like what Smart has been doing, especially at end of a close game. That foul he did against the mavs before that Luka buzzer beater, that stupid pass he made against the sixers recently. Those are low bbiq stuff. He always make bone headed plays. From his awful shot selection, total lack of awareness of the shot clock at times, as well as some no look passes that result in turnovers. Point guards don’t do that ****. Just because he’s good at defense, doesn’t make him smart. Sick of the guy!
TheOGJabroni
Head Coach
And1: 1,992

Post#26 » by TheOGJabroni » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:14 pm

Triple7 wrote:
TheOGJabroni wrote:

He’s on that level. JR smith level. Enough with the excuses already lol. You don’t see guys like CP3, rajon rondo or even Lebron do stupid stuff like what Smart has been doing, especially at end of a close game. That foul he did against the mavs before that Luka buzzer beater, that stupid pass he made against the sixers recently. Those are low bbiq stuff. He always make bone headed plays. From his awful shot selection, total lack of awareness of the shot clock at times, as well as some no look passes that result in turnovers. Point guards don’t do that ****. Just because he’s good at defense, doesn’t make him smart. Sick of the guy!

I mean those are really extreme takes. There's a middle ground between McGee/Smith and CP3, Rondo or LeBron.
Triple7
RealGM

Post#27 » by Triple7 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:35 pm

TheOGJabroni wrote:
Triple7 wrote:
TheOGJabroni wrote:Smart to me is the really bright kid that just shuts his brain off from time to time and gets into something really stupid. He understands the game really well but then goes and does something that will certainly make you question that.

I mean those are really extreme takes. There's a middle ground between McGee/Smith and CP3, Rondo or LeBron.

Hahaha of course Mcgee and JR are on a different level, but Smart is closer to them, than proven high bbiq guys like cp3 and Lebron.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Post#28 » by return2glory » Sat Jan 1, 2022 4:28 pm

Grant, Pritchard, Josh and Rob. Rob just lacks self confidence but you can see it improving.

Honorable mention to Smart, Horford and Enes. Enes understands how to position himself for rebounds and how and when to set screens to get his teammates open. Smart and Horford didn't make my top 4 because both their shooting % from 3 hurts them. Work on that or cut down on your 3 pt attempts. Also Smart's bad shot selection hurts him but he is taking better shots of late.
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,051

Post#29 » by Dogen » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:06 am

Rob will be climbing this chart. He's got great instincts and athleticism, but really sees the floor well too. Give him another year or two.
Hey you! Can we come together?
theman
RealGM
And1: 1,406

Post#30 » by theman » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:09 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:It's between Pritchard and Horford. I've seen Pritchard have to direct the Jays where to be on the floor. Horford knows his stuff too. lmao at people voting Smart. WTF? He may have elite BBIQ on the defensive end but his abysmal BBIQ on offense negates it, thus disqualifying him

Pritchard, Horford and Josh got my votes. They seem to be in the right place at the right time and not make a lot of errors.
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#31 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:29 pm

Triple7 wrote:
TheOGJabroni wrote:

Perhaps you should review the stories of how Rondo's tenure ended in Dallas.
Joshyjess
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,927

Post#32 » by Joshyjess » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:32 pm

Defensively, Smart is the Albert Einstein of basketball. Offensively, Smart is the Jeckyl and Hyde of basketball. Sometimes he makes incredible passes, and plays, other times he's monstroulsly bad on offense.
Grant Williams seems like the most constant, stable guy on the team. This year he has done an amazing job of being consistent. I really think he has a top-level basketball IQ.
A lot of people have picked Tatum, and I just don't see it. He relies on pure talent about 95% of the time, which bails out what I think is actually a pretty low basketball IQ. He makes so many head-scratching plays that even his great talent can't compensate for, that I just don't see him as any kind of basketball savant. When Tatum's talent is off, you can clearly see how low his bbIQ is on any given night.
I think Rob Williams has a really hight BBIQ. He seems like he's always scanning the court for the best possible look, and he makes some amazing plays to keep drives going. When Rob first came to the league, he depended WAY too much on his talent, now, he uses his talent so much more intelligently.
wetsthebed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,216

Post#33 » by wetsthebed » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:35 pm

I think it's pretty clearly Horford. But the fact that the second vote getter is a mediocre second year role player is pretty telling.
Marvel
RealGM
And1: 14,275

Post#34 » by Marvel » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:08 pm

:lol:
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,802

Post#35 » by Parliament10 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:32 am

Dogen wrote:Rob will be climbing this chart. He's got great instincts and athleticism, but really sees the floor well too. Give him another year or two.

I think that Rob Williams is vastly underrated on his BBIQ.
He's got great instincts, and great hands.

Grant Williams surprises me, as 2nd in the Pole.
Does pretty well on the court, though. And, he's only 23.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#36 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:36 am

Parliament10 wrote:
Dogen wrote:Rob will be climbing this chart. He's got great instincts and athleticism, but really sees the floor well too. Give him another year or two.

I think that Rob Williams is vastly underrated on his BBIQ.
He's got great instincts, and great hands.

Grant Williams surprises me, as 2nd in the Pole.
Does pretty well on the court, though. And, he's only 23.

He does have a magnetic personality.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#37 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:47 am

In ordinary intelligence, there are people who have a lot and people who have less but work hard to make the best use of what they have.

The first time I articulated that distinction was at a party in the Back Bay in the 1970s. A fellow guest said that the latter characterization fit his boss perfectly, his boss being Senator Ted Kennedy.

Tatum seems like a guy who strives to make the best use of a not particularly high level of BBIQ. Rob Williams strikes me as a guy with natively high BBIQ who is learning how best to use it. Ditto Grant Williams, and I think he's ahead of Rob.

At Al's age, it's tough to see which group he's in. Perhaps he's just generally up there with Grant. (When he was younger he was overshadowed first by Noah and then by Millsap, so I don't really recall much of what he was like.)

Romeo's another one who just seems generally high on the list. I can't figure out from his athletic or scoring skills alone why he was such an elite high school player. So probably he's always seen the court well too.
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#38 » by soxfan2003 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:01 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:In ordinary intelligence, there are people who have a lot and people who have less but work hard to make the best use of what they have.

The first time I articulated that distinction was at a party in the Back Bay in the 1970s. A fellow guest said that the latter characterization fit his boss perfectly, his boss being Senator Ted Kennedy.

Tatum seems like a guy who strives to make the best use of a not particularly high level of BBIQ. Rob Williams strikes me as a guy with natively high BBIQ who is learning how best to use it. Ditto Grant Williams, and I think he's ahead of Rob.

At Al's age, it's tough to see which group he's in. Perhaps he's just generally up there with Grant. (When he was younger he was overshadowed first by Noah and then by Millsap, so I don't really recall much of what he was like.)

Romeo's another one who just seems generally high on the list. I can't figure out from his athletic or scoring skills alone why he was such an elite high school player. So probably he's always seen the court well too.

I haven't watched Celtics as much this year but Al Horford strikes me as a fairly high basketball IQ. He was never really able to defend peak/near peak Lebron driving to the basket that well but not that many people with his size/athleticism could. KG/Duncan both just had more physical gifts. But how an aging Horford could make harder for the much bigger Embiid was impressive. He also seemed to have a calmness on offense and knew what he was doing.
Ill News
General Manager
And1: 16,306

Post#39 » by Ill News » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:02 am

BBIQ for me is how fast you can process/read your opponent's movements and the plays that are unfolding around you, and how quickly you react to it. So based on that personal definition, the clearest answer is Horford, who in his prime was a fantastic offensive hub and defensive coordinator. Next up would be Smart, mainly for how well he reads his opponents on defense but more recently, how he facilitates the offense. I dare say that Smart is playing the best basketball of his life this season.

I'd say Tatum and Rob also have BBIQ, they're just a tier below Horford and Smart. You can clearly see Tatum's high BBIQ with the way he plays defense and sets up teammates, they're sometimes just buried beneath his instincts as a scorer. Same can be said for Rob, he's shown flashes of being able to be a facilitator on offense coupled with his improving instincts as a defender.

Jaylen may have a high personal IQ, but he doesn't make the cut for BBIQ imo. He still gets lost on defense sometimes, and is prone to tunnel vision.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#40 » by sam_I_am » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:46 pm

A lot of people think Pritchard has higher BBIQ on team. It just goes to show how being less talented can still make you look pretty dumb out there. I think that is Smarts biggest problem. He tried to do things against players who are just better than him resulting in some awful looking plays. If Smart had a lot less BBIQ and a little more ability to beat defenders off the dribble and was a threat to get tot the rim I would be a lot happier.

Return to Boston Celtics