ImageImageImageImage

Biggest need challenge (other than getting healthy)?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Re: Biggest need challenge (other than getting healthy)? 

Post#21 » by drsd » Mon Jan 3, 2022 9:51 pm

OrlMagic05 wrote:
purpleswordfish wrote:New ownership that actually wants to build a winner. Instead of the current ownership that is happy to put a tanking abomination on the floor year after year. As soon as they got the new building they wanted, they stopped caring about the product on the court.

So you prefer the 2019-2020 Magic? The 8th seed to lose 4-1 in the 1st round over and over again while drafting at #15 every year? What benefit does this have? At least now we have the chance to draft a top player in back to back years. Yes, sometimes that doesn't work, but guess what never works, being a stagnant 8th seed team.

Yes I prefer that. To become good, mediocre sits beforehand. If the Magic had been healthy all year, Orlando would be a totally different team this year. All management choices would have been different with a 2020/21 Magic that makes the playoffs.

Moving forward, the goal in 2022/23 must be to make the playoffs (or play-ins, if that is still there). But in doing that, the Magic will not be "good". The team would be a 35-42 win squad. That's the upside.

Look at Cleveland this year. That's the kind of year the Magic should look towards. For me, do not look at New York Atlanta, flash in the pan rosters last year, as neither roster is not built for growth.

thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,205

Post#22 » by thelead » Mon Jan 3, 2022 10:40 pm

drsd wrote:
OrlMagic05 wrote:
purpleswordfish wrote:New ownership that actually wants to build a winner. Instead of the current ownership that is happy to put a tanking abomination on the floor year after year. As soon as they got the new building they wanted, they stopped caring about the product on the court.

So you prefer the 2019-2020 Magic? The 8th seed to lose 4-1 in the 1st round over and over again while drafting at #15 every year? What benefit does this have? At least now we have the chance to draft a top player in back to back years. Yes, sometimes that doesn't work, but guess what never works, being a stagnant 8th seed team.

Yes I prefer that. To become good, mediocre sits beforehand. If the Magic had been healthy all year, Orlando would be a totally different team this year. All management choices would have been different with a 2020/21 Magic that makes the playoffs.

Moving forward, the goal in 2022/23 must be to make the playoffs (or play-ins, if that is still there). But in doing that, the Magic will not be "good". The team would be a 35-42 win squad. That's the upside.

Look at Cleveland this year. That's the kind of year the Magic should look towards. For me, do not look at New York Atlanta, flash in the pan rosters last year, as neither roster is not built for growth.

So... we should draft a future star guard (Garland) and potentially generational talent (Mobley) and then sign a few starting caliber players? Got it.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,936

Post#23 » by Xatticus » Mon Jan 3, 2022 10:42 pm

drsd wrote:
OrlMagic05 wrote:

It's moot because that core wanted out. We wouldn't be competitive because they didn't want to be here anymore. Once their heads are turned, you aren't going to get them to buy in. Clifford's message was stale and they weren't believing that they could be anything more than they were, which was far from good enough to accomplish anything other than not being as bad as they had been for every year they had been in Orlando.

I disagree with the fundamental point though. Of course you can't win a championship if you can't win 40 games, but being able to win 40 games doesn't mean you are any closer to winning a championship.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
OrlMagic05
Sixth Man
And1: 1,062

Post#24 » by OrlMagic05 » Tue Jan 4, 2022 1:36 pm

drsd wrote:
OrlMagic05 wrote:

I dont want the Magic to be just good. I want to us to be in the running to win a championship and you dont do that with Vuc (not knocking him) as your star player. That team would have maxed out at 4-5 seed which would not have even put us in the eastern conference finals. So once again, you want us to mediocre forever?

I'd rather take the chance and suck for a few years and acquire as much talent as possible. Hell, look what we got out of the Vuc trade. A 20 year old who could potentially win ROY. Those are the moves you have to make to be great.

Look at Golden State, they sucked for YEARSSSS they tried to win with Monta Ellis and didnt work until they really decided to suck it up for a few years and now they have a dynasty.
sportsrock37
Starter
And1: 233

Post#25 » by sportsrock37 » Wed Jan 5, 2022 6:01 am

Our pieces currently on the roster that I think will still be part of our hypothetical contending team in 3-4 years are:
Fultz
Cole
Suggs
Franz
WCJ

Okeke and JI are also possible if they can get healthy and Okeke at least get back to as good as he was as a rookie.

So if you look at the pieces, you have a PG, 2 combo guards, a SF/PF combo and a PF/C combo. My main needs would be a shooting/scoring focused wing, another 3 and D combo forward, and a defensive minded big that can spread the floor a little bit.

So you are looking at below as the main 8 players when healthy. Typically I would want want to play 9-10 guys every game so you'll rotate in 2 more guys with this core group every game, based on injuries, foul trouble, matchups, etc.

-Fultz/Cole/Suggs getting nearly all the guard mins. I really like the different combos you can put them with shooting/playmaking/defense.
-Scoring/Shooting Offensive Minded Wing getting remaining SG mins as well as a good chunk of SF mins
-Franz getting his minutes at both SF/PF
-3/D Combo Forward(Hopefully JI/Okeke) who gets 20-25 mins at SF/PF
-WCJ splitting his mins at both PF/C
-Backup C that plays good defense and can spread the floor a little at least(even if it's a midrange jumper) and that can play with WCJ.

You'll need another PG, another wing, another forward, and another center that would fill out your 9-10 man rotation-probably a combo of vets and young players(that we draft with our hypothetical pick in the 20's). With injuries, matchups, foul trouble, etc these guys will likely still see quite a bit of time and play most games, but when healthy a couple of them will see some DNP-CD.
Florida Gator Alum
Orlando Magic
Atlanta Braves
Washington Redskins
Washington Capitals

@badamsufl
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,125

Post#26 » by pepe1991 » Wed Jan 5, 2022 6:58 am

Talent is still biggest need of this roster.

If you can pick where, perfect would be to have superstar as versitale two way guard-wing.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,110

Post#27 » by zaymon » Wed Jan 5, 2022 11:21 am

Its hard to say what we need becouse we have so many young guys.
From young guys right now only Franz plays good enough to play on a contender other would be Gary Harris but its uncertain if he stays. WCJ is close but he is kind of inconsistent, he sulks a lot.
If fully healthy Isaac is part of our future contender for sure. His role is very hard to get, we would have to get Chet to replace him to some extent.
Fultz is a mystery, but i wouldnt count on him until i see him on a court. He was never above average starter.
Anthony is very talented but his archetype is not very succesful in the playoffs. He would need to operate off the ball a lot more but he is happy with dominating possesions.
I believe Suggs has more chance to start for us long term than Cole but he is very far away offensively. I dont see him as a superstar, Jrue is propably his ceiling.

I know many of you will laugh, but Wagner ascendence makes me more willing to keep Harris. He already shown he is starter level guard on a contender and difference maker on defense. How many more years we want to waste with Wagner rookie contract ? Its too early to make decision but if Franz keeps getting better and better this season? Gary is young enough, he just enters his prime and he seems almost fully healthy this year. It will be hard to get good veterans next year or two and prolonged rebuild is often death sentence.

*/Harris?/Wagner/Isaac?/Carter?

One core player, two potential core players and one medium term (like Millsap on Nuggets) veteran.
Suggs and 2022 frp could be core players.
Anthony is a long shot to be a starter, like him as a 6th man.
Okeke still has upside, could be great first wing of the bench.
Not the biggest fan of Hampton. Never a fan of Bamba.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#28 » by pepe1991 » Wed Jan 5, 2022 11:46 am

I don't know how you can trust Harris health to the point where you will need to pay him some 2-3 or 4 years -whatever money to keep him.
This guy is playing well... for 15 games. he played 70 games once in his whole career. He hasn't been able to stay healthy for last 3 years.
He is like MPjr. Just accident waiting to happen again.
zaymon
Lead Assistant

Post#29 » by zaymon » Wed Jan 5, 2022 12:10 pm

pepe1991 wrote:I don't know how you can trust Harris health to the point where you will need to pay him some 2-3 or 4 years -whatever money to keep him.
This guy is playing well... for 15 games. he played 70 games once in his whole career. He hasn't been able to stay healthy for last 3 years.

We need to take some risks. Notice that he also dramatically changed his game. He was dunking over people a lot in the past, now he is more deliberate, finishing with his craft.
MPJ had structural damage to his spine, everybody knew he will get hurt again. It was team trajectory changing mistake to give him max, so dumb.
I dont see any better idea to use our cap space right now. Maybe he wants to build something with Wagner and Carter. Suggs is obvious elephant in the room but he is not ready to start yet.
Knowing our team we wont resign Harris but he is interesting option and high character veteran. We will need those 2 years from now at the least, maybe even as soon as next year if Isaac is healthy or we draft Holmgren. We could be this year Cavaliers. They have Rubio, Love, Osman as good veterans. Allen and Markkanen as young veterans.
We have only Harris as good veteran, maybe Ross but he is hindering as us much as helping.
Carter, Isaac and Fultz are young veterans but only Carter is somewhat reliable.
Cavs are young we could be even better than them next year looking at our rosters
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#30 » by pepe1991 » Wed Jan 5, 2022 12:27 pm

zaymon wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:I don't know how you can trust Harris health to the point where you will need to pay him some 2-3 or 4 years -whatever money to keep him.

We need to take some risks. Notice that he also dramatically changed his game. He was dunking over people a lot in the past, now he is more deliberate, finishing with his craft.
MPJ had structural damage to his spine, everybody knew he will get hurt again. It was team trajectory changing mistake to give him max, so dumb.
I dont see any better idea to use our cap space right now. Maybe he wants to build something with Wagner and Carter. Suggs is obvious elephant in the room but he is not ready to start yet.
Knowing our team we wont resign Harris but he is interesting option and high character veteran. We will need those 2 years from now at the least, maybe even as soon as next year if Isaac is healthy or we draft Holmgren. We could be this year Cavaliers. They have Rubio, Love, Osman as good veterans. Allen and Markkanen as young veterans.
We have only Harris as good veteran, maybe Ross but he is hindering as us much as helping.
Carter, Isaac and Fultz are young veterans but only Carter is somewhat reliable.
Cavs are young we could be even better than them next year looking at our rosters

You can probably find 2017 posts of me being huge Harris fan, so it's not like i don't like his game or don't like him as player. Same with Otto Porter. I just have difficult time beliving that if you exstend him of some 3 years -45M ( sounds logical if you are his menager). you will squeeze 65 games a year for him.

And i'm not sure how many injury prone players Magic can afford to keep.

Keep in mind Isaac and Fultz are yet to return, Okeke has been more out than in for 2 and half years (year zero and year and half season ), Cole hasn't been able to stay healthy, Wendell never played 50 games in his life... Bamba averages like 50 games a year.
At some point never being able to put up roster won't be "great rebulid strategy" but " okey, this is expensive disaster" once you resign those guys on non-rookie deals.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,576

Post#31 » by basketballRob » Wed Jan 5, 2022 12:49 pm

We should get rid of Harris now while he's playing well. I would be afraid to give him another contract because he could lose his motivation to play.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,489

Post#32 » by Skybox » Wed Jan 5, 2022 2:35 pm

zaymon wrote:*/Harris?/Wagner/Isaac?/Carter?

One core player, two potential core players and one medium term (like Millsap on Nuggets) veteran.

I agree with every individual fact you state BUT where does the scoring come from in that lineup? I think Franz could/should be 20ppg for his career, playing unselfishly, but Harris, IMO, only has that role on a contender if he's got two other guys scoring 20+. (Unless you're suggesting a fully revitalized Harris is good for 18ppg in a 3&D role). You could say the same for Isaac...both very good players at times, but need offensive support around them. WCJ is nice but will never be Vuc-like, in terms of carrying offense more than rarely. I can make a case for almost every player on our roster having a role on a great team, but maybe all of them need a Brandon Ingram or Zach Lavine to "complete them" offensively.

The way he looks lately, I could even see Franz as a legit Point Forward/initiator for a lot of minutes with another big SG designated scorer (Lavine-ish, Ivey?). Then, you've got a more supportive role for Suggs and/or Fultz in that sometimes ball handling Jrue/Harris/MCW role. IMO...

Certainty -can be top 3 guy on a really good team: Franz
Can be a starter on a really good team with certain support from other players (and health): Isaac, WCJ
Can be a starter on that team if he plays the way he once did-at his peak: Harris, Fultz
Can be in a supporting role/maybe solid starter if he develops/things fall the right way: Suggs
Could be a really good bench player/6th-8th man: Anthony, TRoss, Okeke(?)
Solid end of the bench guys: RoLo, MCW, M. Wagner
Who the hell knows (but have something worth exploring or selling): RJ(speed), Bamba(length)
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,908

Post#33 » by Knightro » Wed Jan 5, 2022 2:49 pm

drsd wrote:Look at Cleveland this year. That's the kind of year the Magic should look towards. For me, do not look at New York Atlanta, flash in the pan rosters last year, as neither roster is not built for growth.

The Cavs tanked hard for 3 full seasons to get the roster they have now. They added four lotto picks during that time frame and hit big on two of them (Garland and Mobley). Then when the time was right for them they traded for Allen (trade deadline of tank year 3) and then traded for Markkanen and Rubio (offseason before year 4).

That's precisely what the Magic are attempting to do as well. The only difference is that the Magic have only been actively tanking for about half the time (1.5 seasons of tanking and 2 lotto picks) that the Cavs did it.
zaymon
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by zaymon » Wed Jan 5, 2022 2:57 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
zaymon wrote:

You can probably find 2017 posts of me being huge Harris fan, so it's not like i don't like his game or don't like him as player. Same with Otto Porter. I just have difficult time beliving that if you exstend him of some 3 years -45M ( sounds logical if you are his menager). you will squeeze 65 games a year for him.

And i'm not sure how many injury prone players Magic can afford to keep.

Keep in mind Isaac and Fultz are yet to return, Okeke has been more out than in for 2 and half years (year zero and year and half season ), Cole hasn't been able to stay healthy, Wendell never played 50 games in his life... Bamba averages like 50 games a year.
At some point never being able to put up roster won't be "great rebulid strategy" but " okey, this is expensive disaster" once you resign those guys on non-rookie deals.

Lets assume Wagner ends this year on a very strong, Isaac and Fultz return healthy and we make a late push. Draft pick wont matter much but lets say we are lucky and draft Holmgren/Smith. We would be still very young, with enough talent to have very diminishing return on future tanking.
What free agents we target ? Look at the list its beyond bad.
For guards its Beverley, Lamb, Satoransky, Delon Wright, Tyus Jones. From better rfa its Divincenzo and Simons.
Our frontcourt could be really set with Wagner, Isaac/Holmgren, Carter. Thats 6'10+ wall, all of them can dribble, shoot and maybe excluding Isaac (but Holmgren is better) pass.
I dont feel comfortable with Fultz, Anthony, Suggs, Hampton. If Fultz cant shoot he is below average starter, Anthony is ball dominant and cant defend, Hampton is clueless and Suggs couldnt dribble. Even if one of them pans out we need one more. Two of them becoming good starters feels like pushing your luck. I also love the idea of Suggs learning from Harris. He could be bigger, better version of him.
I think we wont retain Harris becouse we believe in our guards as organization but Wagner could be really ready to win as soon as next season.
zaymon
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by zaymon » Wed Jan 5, 2022 4:18 pm

Skybox wrote:
zaymon wrote:*/Harris?/Wagner/Isaac?/Carter?

I agree with every individual fact you state BUT where does the scoring come from in that lineup? I think Franz could/should be 20ppg for his career, playing unselfishly, but Harris, IMO, only has that role on a contender if he's got two other guys scoring 20+. (Unless you're suggesting a fully revitalized Harris is good for 18ppg in a 3&D role). You could say the same for Isaac...both very good players at times, but need offensive support around them. WCJ is nice but will never be Vuc-like, in terms of carrying offense more than rarely. I can make a case for almost every player on our roster having a role on a great team, but maybe all of them need a Brandon Ingram or Zach Lavine to "complete them" offensively.

The way he looks lately, I could even see Franz as a legit Point Forward/initiator for a lot of minutes with another big SG designated scorer (Lavine-ish, Ivey?). Then, you've got a more supportive role for Suggs and/or Fultz in that sometimes ball handling Jrue/Harris/MCW role. IMO...

Certainty -can be top 3 guy on a really good team: Franz
Can be a starter on a really good team with certain support from other players (and health): Isaac, WCJ
Can be a starter on that team if he plays the way he once did-at his peak: Harris, Fultz
Can be in a supporting role/maybe solid starter if he develops/things fall the right way: Suggs
Could be a really good bench player/6th-8th man: Anthony, TRoss, Okeke(?)
Solid end of the bench guys: RoLo, MCW, M. Wagner
Who the hell knows (but have something worth exploring or selling): RJ(speed), Bamba(length)

Hmm you make great points. To be honest i am not sure. Wagner ceiling is hard to gauge, at times he is unstoppable, and his synergy with Carter will only grow. We also have no idea how good is Isaac. He was always promising shooter and now he is also huge. Lets look at past champions who won with defense

Holiday/Tucker/Middleton/GA/Lopez-
Billups/Hamilton/Prince/R.Wallace/B.Wallace
Parker/Ginobili/Leonard/Diaw/Duncan
Kidd/Terry/Marion/Nowitzky/Chandler
Lowry/Green/Leonard/Siakam/Gasol

Harris is better on offense than Tucker, Green. At his peak he is similar to Terry and Hamilton and definetly worse than Ginobili.
Carter has his flaws but he could be best 3 point shooter and second best passer after Gasol.
Isaac could be similar to R. Wallace/Siakam in offensive impact. We dont really know, but propably worse.
Wagner propably needs to be all nba unless we are build more like Pistons. Suggs/Harris ? Its getting more and more likely he can be second option on a contender.
Lets remember right now Harris is our best two way guard (its not close) and he is better scorer than Anthony lately.
I would not oppose trading two of Anthony, Fultz, Hampton plus Ross but next star worth trading for is propably Doncic and he is years away.
I am propably daydreaming right now and we are nowhere near competing but looking at Cavaliers roster makes you really wonder.
purpleswordfish
Rookie
And1: 540

Post#36 » by purpleswordfish » Wed Jan 5, 2022 5:31 pm

OrlMagic05 wrote:

I didn't say I preferred the 2019-2020 Magic roster. Not sure where you got that, even after re-reading my post. To be clear, I'm tired of an ownership that seems pleased with sub-30 win seasons 7 out of the last 10 years (including this year). Especially after taxpayers contributed a buttload of money to build them a state of the art arena.
Mauro Pedrosa
Analyst
And1: 4,387

Post#37 » by Mauro Pedrosa » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:12 pm

Tyler Herro
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,489

Post#38 » by Skybox » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:53 pm

Mauro Pedrosa wrote:Tyler Herro

Yeah...he'd be a really nice compliment to Fultz/Suggs...I wonder if MIA would even entertain?

Cole Anthony & Harris

for...Herro & Duncan Robinson

Anthony takes on Herro's 6th man spark off of the bench (as a PG) & we take on Robinson's big contract, giving them a large expiring in Harris (without really hurting their chances this year as Harris is playing great and Robinson isn't). Anthony will no doubt blow up in MIA, but he's just not the building block we need in ORL. I wish him well in a better role on a better team with better mentors in Lowry & Butler.

ORL put's Herro front and center in a big role. If Robinson regains his lethal shooting (why wouldn't he?), we, arguably, get the two best players in the trade for absorbing the big contract/risk.
Mauro Pedrosa
Analyst
And1: 4,387

Post#39 » by Mauro Pedrosa » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:02 pm

Skybox wrote:
Mauro Pedrosa wrote:Tyler Herro

Yeah...he'd be a really nice compliment to Fultz/Suggs...I wonder if MIA would even entertain?

Cole Anthony & Harris

for...Herro & Duncan Robinson

Anthony takes on Herro's 6th man spark off of the bench (as a PG) & we take on Robinson's big contract, giving them a large expiring in Harris (without really hurting their chances this year as Harris is playing great and Robinson isn't). Anthony will no doubt blow up in MIA, but he's just not the building block we need in ORL. I wish him well in a better role on a better team with better mentors in Lowry & Butler.

ORL put's Herro front and center in a big role. If Robinson regains his lethal shooting (why wouldn't he?), we, arguably, get the two best players in the trade for absorbing the big contract/risk.

Not sure they would want to send us a young prospect but maybe we could make an offer they wouldn’t be willing to match in free agency. Same with Cam Reddish
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 572

Post#40 » by MasterGMer » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:37 am

Magic need a star the team can build around and the alpha dog on offense. Just like how Houston did trading for James Harden.

But speaking of this year's draft, I hope we get either Jabari, Bencharo or Chet

Return to Orlando Magic