Game 38: Portland vs Cleveland 7:00pm Root,Root+ 

Post#1 » by Brandon-Clyde » Fri Jan 7, 2022 2:38 am

vs

Time: 7:00pm
Place: Moda Center
TV: Root,Root+

GLB of the game Victoria Justice
Spoiler:
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,842

Re: Game 38: Portland vs Cleveland 7:00pm Root,Root+ 

Post#2 » by Norm2953 » Fri Jan 7, 2022 3:16 am

Will be my first TV game on Direct TV. I finally got hooked up after some cancellations
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,942

Post#3 » by ducler » Fri Jan 7, 2022 8:05 pm

Read on Twitter
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,655

Post#4 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sat Jan 8, 2022 3:06 am

1st quarter GLB pic
Spoiler:
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#5 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sat Jan 8, 2022 3:38 am

2nd quarter GLB
Spoiler:
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#6 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sat Jan 8, 2022 4:25 am

3rd quarter GLB pic
Spoiler:
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#7 » by PDXKnight » Sat Jan 8, 2022 4:50 am

Seems like the kind of bs game we win
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#8 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sat Jan 8, 2022 4:54 am

4th quarter GLB pic
Spoiler:
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,231

Post#9 » by monopoman » Sat Jan 8, 2022 7:02 am

Blazers inching towards that bottom 3 record in the West.

I took a look at the numbers if any franchise is worthy of a tank year it's this one, the Blazers have only missed the playoffs 15 times in their entire history. Blazers may not be great at winning championships, but they have to be one of the most consistent teams to see in the playoffs in the entire NBA.

Crap if you take out the first 6 seasons where this team missed the playoffs every year then since their championship season they have only missed the playoffs 9 times.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Post#10 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Jan 8, 2022 5:26 pm

monopoman wrote:Blazers inching towards that bottom 3 record in the West.

I took a look at the numbers if any franchise is worthy of a tank year it's this one, the Blazers have only missed the playoffs 15 times in their entire history. Blazers may not be great at winning championships, but they have to be one of the most consistent teams to see in the playoffs in the entire NBA.

Crap if you take out the first 6 seasons where this team missed the playoffs every year then since their championship season they have only missed the playoffs 9 times.

that's not much of an accomplishment. For the last 15 years or so, 16 of 30 teams made the playoffs. In 1983-84 there were 23 teams and 16 made the playoffs; that's 70% of the teams into the playoffs

last time I checked, in the Stolshey era, the Blazers averaged less than 46 wins (adjusted for covid seasons) and a 6th seed. Blazers have made the playoffs 37 times and have lost in the 1st round 25 of those times

this is a definition of mediocrity. Yeah, it's a little fancier than average mediocrity, but it's still lipstick on a pig. Worse, is that in the Stolshey era, the Blazers just settled. They stopped trying to build a contender. The standard wasn't a championship, it just became making the playoffs. In the last 21 years, the Blazers have won a grand total of 6 games past the first round, and 4 of those wins came in a single series. They haven't won a conference finals game since Pippen was a Blazer. In that 21 year span, the Blazers made the playoffs 14 times and their record was 31-62. That winning percentage would translate to 27 wins in a regular season

but here's the thing about all that: since Portland, in the last 21 years have 14 playoff appearances in 21 seasons, in their first 30 years, they finished in the playoffs 23 times. Take out the first 6 seasons when they didn't appear, and Portland was 23 of 24 for making the playoffs. As I said, in the last 21 years Portland has won 6 games past the 1st round. In those earlier 24 seasons, Portland won 61 games past the first round. 61 wins in 24 seasons vs 6 wins in 21 seasons.

The Blazers are locked in purgatory. Making the playoffs but getting consistently bounced in the first round is the worst type of purgatory for a small market. And right now, I'm half-convinced the Blazers will find a way to rinse/repeat this failure by somehow making the play-in and losing their draft pick this season after getting swept in the 1st round. Another year of fence-straddling on the treadmill in purgatory...it's the Blazer way!
monopoman
RealGM

Post#11 » by monopoman » Sat Jan 8, 2022 10:30 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:

that's not much of an accomplishment. For the last 15 years or so, 16 of 30 teams made the playoffs. In 1983-84 there were 23 teams and 16 made the playoffs; that's 70% of the teams into the playoffs

last time I checked, in the Stolshey era, the Blazers averaged less than 46 wins (adjusted for covid seasons) and a 6th seed. Blazers have made the playoffs 37 times and have lost in the 1st round 25 of those times

this is a definition of mediocrity. Yeah, it's a little fancier than average mediocrity, but it's still lipstick on a pig. Worse, is that in the Stolshey era, the Blazers just settled. They stopped trying to build a contender. The standard wasn't a championship, it just became making the playoffs. In the last 21 years, the Blazers have won a grand total of 6 games past the first round, and 4 of those wins came in a single series. They haven't won a conference finals game since Pippen was a Blazer. In that 21 year span, the Blazers made the playoffs 14 times and their record was 31-62. That winning percentage would translate to 27 wins in a regular season

but here's the thing about all that: since Portland, in the last 21 years have 14 playoff appearances in 21 seasons, in their first 30 years, they finished in the playoffs 23 times. Take out the first 6 seasons when they didn't appear, and Portland was 23 of 24 for making the playoffs. As I said, in the last 21 years Portland has won 6 games past the 1st round. In those earlier 24 seasons, Portland won 61 games past the first round. 61 wins in 24 seasons vs 6 wins in 21 seasons.

The Blazers are locked in purgatory. Making the playoffs but getting consistently bounced in the first round is the worst type of purgatory for a small market. And right now, I'm half-convinced the Blazers will find a way to rinse/repeat this failure by somehow making the play-in and losing their draft pick this season after getting swept in the 1st round. Another year of fence-straddling on the treadmill in purgatory...it's the Blazer way!

Most of the professional sports put 60-70% of the teams in the playoffs, so that isn't saying much.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#12 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Jan 9, 2022 1:26 am

monopoman wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:
Spoiler:

The Blazers are locked in purgatory. Making the playoffs but getting consistently bounced in the first round is the worst type of purgatory for a small market. And right now, I'm half-convinced the Blazers will find a way to rinse/repeat this failure by somehow making the play-in and losing their draft pick this season after getting swept in the 1st round. Another year of fence-straddling on the treadmill in purgatory...it's the Blazer way

Most of the professional sports put 60-70% of the teams in the playoffs, so that isn't saying much.

exactly...which is why the standard of 'making the playoffs' is such a meaningless one
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,163

Post#13 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Sun Jan 9, 2022 2:44 am

Wizenheimer wrote:The Blazers are locked in purgatory. Making the playoffs but getting consistently bounced in the first round is the worst type of purgatory for a small market. And right now, I'm half-convinced the Blazers will find a way to rinse/repeat this failure by somehow making the play-in and losing their draft pick this season after getting swept in the 1st round. Another year of fence-straddling on the treadmill in purgatory...it's the Blazer way!

While I often disagree with him, the cynic in me might argue that, with the disadvantages of a small market, that consistently making the playoffs is itself a realistic metric of success for a small market team. I would rather be the Jazz or the Grizzlies than the Timberwolves or Kings for example.

Not saying we cant or we shouldn't hold ourselves to a higher standard, but in reality we may have to lower our expectations compared to some of the larger markets.
monopoman
RealGM

Post#14 » by monopoman » Sun Jan 9, 2022 3:44 am

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:The Blazers are locked in purgatory. Making the playoffs but getting consistently bounced in the first round is the worst type of purgatory for a small market. And right now, I'm half-convinced the Blazers will find a way to rinse/repeat this failure by somehow making the play-in and losing their draft pick this season after getting swept in the 1st round. Another year of fence-straddling on the treadmill in purgatory...it's the Blazer way!

While I often disagree with him, the cynic in me might argue that, with the disadvantages of a small market, that consistently making the playoffs is itself a realistic metric of success for a small market team. I would rather be the Jazz or the Grizzlies than the Timberwolves or Kings for example.

Not saying we cant or we shouldn't hold ourselves to a higher standard, but in reality we may have to lower our expectations compared to some of the larger markets.

I thought it was also more noteworthy when as a franchise we have faced some of the worst luck in the NBA, and on top of that have never signed a top tier free agent. I don't think many teams could match our list of rough injuries that have impacted this team in a negative way over the past 50ish years.

I think we would likely have a few more championships if this team was located in LA or something.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#15 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Jan 9, 2022 5:41 am

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:While I often disagree with him, the cynic in me might argue that, with the disadvantages of a small market, that consistently making the playoffs is itself a realistic metric of success for a small market team. I would rather be the Jazz or the Grizzlies than the Timberwolves or Kings for example.

c'mon...that's a false choice. The Kings and Wolves are perhaps the two worst run franchises in the modern NBA. There's nothing saying the Blazers will be that bad if they simply try to get off the treadmill they are trudging on

in fact, the steady manner in which the level of participation in this forum has declined shows that consistently making the playoffs as an obvious pretender, then consistently failing, doesn't generate much enthusiasm. It's a poor template of "success"
monopoman
RealGM

Post#16 » by monopoman » Sun Jan 9, 2022 5:48 am

Wizenheimer wrote:
DeBlazerRiddem wrote:While I often disagree with him, the cynic in me might argue that, with the disadvantages of a small market, that consistently making the playoffs is itself a realistic metric of success for a small market team. I would rather be the Jazz or the Grizzlies than the Timberwolves or Kings for example.

c'mon...that's a false choice. The Kings and Wolves are perhaps the two worst run franchises in the modern NBA. There's nothing saying the Blazers will be that bad if they simply try to get off the treadmill they are trudging on

in fact, the steady manner in which the level of participation in this forum has declined shows that consistently making the playoffs as an obvious pretender, then consistently failing, doesn't generate much enthusiasm. It's a poor template of "success"

I think there was more excitement when Dame was younger, hoping that this team would make a swing for fences move like the Raptors did. Unfortunately this team never did that, either ownership or Olshey were unwilling to move CJ and other pieces like him to get a Kawhi level player.

The odds of Dame ever winning a championship as a Blazer is quickly closing and may already be closed, thus the lack of enthusiasm. ****, I was in the Moda Center in game 5 when Dame hit that buzzer beating shot to win the series against OKC, the fanbase was electric and the entire arena was going crazy. So it wasn't like this fervor as a Blazer fan has been gone for 10 years.

Lillard, has only played alongside an all-star level player his first few years in Portland, this team has never done **** trying to get another one for him in his entire tenure here after LMA left. No team can win the entire thing with one top 10 player, LBJ couldn't get it done on the Cavs back before he left the team.

This is even more true in an NBA where players team up and you have losers like KD joining a team that won 73 games the year prior.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#17 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Jan 9, 2022 4:17 pm

monopoman wrote:I think there was more excitement when Dame was younger, hoping that this team would make a swing for fences move like the Raptors did. Unfortunately this team never did that, either ownership or Olshey were unwilling to move CJ and other pieces like him to get a Kawhi level player.

pretty damn sure that was a lot more Olshey than ownership; his ridiculous overvaluing of CJ was well documanted. But yeah, ownership bears a lot of the blame for the shtshow Blazers. They let Olshey run the team into the ditch and it's been obvious for 5 years that was where it was all headed

monopoman wrote:The odds of Dame ever winning a championship as a Blazer is quickly closing and may already be closed, thus the lack of enthusiasm. ****, I was in the Moda Center in game 5 when Dame hit that buzzer beating shot to win the series against OKC, the fanbase was electric and the entire arena was going crazy. So it wasn't like this fervor as a Blazer fan has been gone for 10 years.

c'mon now...that shot was the capper for a hard fought playoff game when the Blazers had the chance to win the series. Of course the home fans were going to be going nuts. That electric enthusiasm was nowhere in sight 3 weeks later when the Warriors were putting the finishing touches on a sweep of the Blazers. Just another obvious piece os evidence that the Blazers were a pretender, not a contender, and that the roster was the issue

and of course, ownership left the architect of that pretending roster in place so he could build 3 more broken rosters, including this year's

and yeah, it's entirely possible the window has closed for Dame and a title in Portland. But the Blazers owe Dame, and Blazer fans, at least one honest attempt to put a contending roster around Dame. They haven't done that since Dame arrived. It's been a decade of BS excuses for inaction and not swinging for the fences. And I'm already seeing the same BS excuses being advanced right now...."probably can't get much done during the season because: blah blah blah; will have to wait for the off-season". And the perpetual pattern is that the same excuses will be advanced by the same people in the off-season: "hard to make major trades during the summer, will probably have to wait till the trade deadline"

it's the Blazer version of groundhog day

Return to Portland Trail Blazers