ImageImageImageImageImage

Keeping JTA and GP2 long term

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Re: Keeping JTA and GP2 long term 

Post#81 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Jan 7, 2022 6:56 am

In case this was not resolved earlier in the thread, I just read that Warriors still have early Bird rights on GPII, and can re-sign Young Glove at up to $10 mil+ per year (and without having to use their taxpayer MLE)... of course if the tax burden is not too much for Lacob to bear.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,365

Post#82 » by GSWFan1994 » Fri Jan 7, 2022 7:47 am

I hope we pay the man. I'll be very happy to see him keep playing on the team.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Post#83 » by Coxy » Fri Jan 7, 2022 9:03 pm

Looks like we have guarantee his deal for the season. Sign this man up longer term Bob.

We better not let him go next season. I'll throw multiple bags of poop at Bob's car if we do.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#84 » by xdrta+ » Fri Jan 7, 2022 9:46 pm

Coxy wrote:Looks like we have guarantee his deal for the season. Sign this man up longer term Bob.

We better not let him go next season. I'll throw multiple bags of poop at Bob's car if we do.

He's not eligible for an extension so it will have to be next summer as a FA. I look for him to get something like Looney did, 3yr/$15M, something like that. Maybe a little less.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#85 » by xdrta+ » Fri Jan 7, 2022 11:23 pm

Damion Lee also had his $1.9M cap hit locked in today. He'll be a UFA at the end of the season.
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#86 » by GunnerWRX » Sat Jan 8, 2022 1:09 am

Did we waive Chiozza?
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#87 » by xdrta+ » Sat Jan 8, 2022 1:43 am

GunnerWRX wrote:Did we waive Chiozza?

Not yet. January 20 is when two-way contracts are guaranteed.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,743

Post#88 » by azwfan » Sat Jan 8, 2022 10:50 pm

xdrta+ wrote:

Do either of you know of a plausible replacement?
LJ Figueroa (big wing) hasn't been great or anything and the only other guy down in Santa Cruz that we'd have some sort of organizational push behind him is Mawugbe (raw center), but he hasn't been good either.

I don't have any Gleague player knowledge beyond the little I have of SCW... but I think Chiozza is going to be on this club the whole year.

On the bright side, we got 2x 2nds in the draft so maybe no available 2-way spot for him next season.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#89 » by xdrta+ » Sat Jan 8, 2022 11:59 pm

azwfan wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

LJ Figueroa (big wing) hasn't been great or anything and the only other guy down in Santa Cruz that we'd have some sort of organizational push behind him is Mawugbe (raw center), but he hasn't been good either.

I don't have any Gleague player knowledge beyond the little I have of SCW... but I think Chiozza is going to be on this club the whole year.

On the bright side, we got 2x 2nds in the draft so maybe no available 2-way spot for him next season.

I agree, Chiozza will be around for the regular season. They tweaked some rules for 2-ways, but they're still not eligible for the playoffs. With all the protocol turnover, pretty much anyone who can play at all is being snapped up from the G league for 10-day contracts.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,743

Post#90 » by azwfan » Sun Jan 9, 2022 12:06 am

xdrta+ wrote:
azwfan wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

I agree, Chiozza will be around for the regular season. They tweaked some rules for 2-ways, but they're still not eligible for the playoffs. With all the protocol turnover, pretty much anyone who can play at all is being snapped up from the G league for 10-day contracts.

I think Mulder was recently released. I guess he's a possibility for those holding out hope.

Edit: Tacko Fall now available!
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,202

Post#91 » by wco81 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:09 am

Team is rapidly declining, in just a month after the last post in this thread.

Poole is so **** spastic, someone throw him a pass near the top of the key in this Utah game and he bats it 20 feet into the back court.

He slips a lot trying some in and out dribbles.

You have to question giving him a big extension because he's so maddeningly inconsistent. He's young right?

But isn't this his contract year? Probably the best numbers in his career, because more minutes and shots per game. Times when he looks great but a lot of times, he just disappears.

He's improved every year and Warriors have few options. They can't expect to get lucky with minimum salary players like GP2 and OPJ again.

So he'll get a big contract and we'll be grousing more about him.
Dom801e
Veteran
And1: 861

Post#92 » by Dom801e » Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:36 am

Poole has another year left. I’m not sure I see him as a long term starter on a contender unless he continues to improve (which is very possible considering age and work ethic).

Already in line for top 6th man pay. I’m guessing that’s around 15M/yr.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#93 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:44 pm

Poole for top reserve money makes easy sense and there is no reason to think he won't take steps forward.

JTA and GP2 are more concerning because there is no reason to think they will get better. GP2 needs to get better at running the offense, and both need to get much better at shooting. At least they are likely to be cheap.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#94 » by FNQ » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:27 pm

Dom801e wrote:Poole has another year left. I’m not sure I see him as a long term starter on a contender unless he continues to improve (which is very possible considering age and work ethic).

I very much doubt that Poole’s 5th year will be on the Warriors. He will try to be a lead guard somewhere
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,079

Post#95 » by The-Power » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:29 pm

FNQ wrote:
Dom801e wrote:Poole has another year left. I’m not sure I see him as a long term starter on a contender unless he continues to improve (which is very possible considering age and work ethic).

I very much doubt that Poole’s 5th year will be on the Warriors. He will try to be a lead guard somewhere

If the Warriors would like to keep him, I highly doubt he's going to force his way out by being a malcontent. Maybe he'll test his market and sign an offer if they can't agree on an extension, but it's then up to the Warriors to either match it or not.

I believe the Warriors like him enough come up with a decent offer. So it would take him rejecting it AND another team offering him a lot of money. Possible but I'd push back against the idea that Poole is likely gone by the end of next season.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#96 » by and1GS » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:37 pm

He actually can't reject our offer as he will be an RFA. Purely as an asset, it would be a bad move to let him walk for nothing. I'd imagine we re-sign him, work out a sign and trade or sign and then trade him a year later. I don't see not matching an offer sheet as an option for a team with a 35 year old Curry and Klay and 33 year old Draymond.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#97 » by FNQ » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:52 pm

and1GS wrote:He actually can't reject our offer as he will be an RFA. Purely as an asset, it would be a bad move to let him walk for nothing. I'd imagine we re-sign him, work out a sign and trade or sign and then trade him a year later. I don't see not matching an offer sheet as an option for a team with a 35 year old Curry and Klay and 33 year old Draymond.

Not possible to S&T unless we let one of the big 3 go

I would expect Poole to be in high demand as a potential lead guard. We may have the option to match, but if gets 20m a year.. it’s pretty hard for us to match

If it comes to him or Wiggins, which is what I’d expect, I’d chose Wiggins, and I think Ws would too.. plus no one is going to ask Wiggins to lead a team again. Poole? Maybe.. and funny enough, his college provides him the best fit. Detroit building around Cade, Poole and Stewart isn’t a bad setup. Especially if they add Chet, Paolo, or Jabari
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#98 » by FNQ » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:55 pm

The-Power wrote:
FNQ wrote:

If the Warriors would like to keep him, I highly doubt he's going to force his way out by being a malcontent. Maybe he'll test his market and sign an offer if they can't agree on an extension, but it's then up to the Warriors to either match it or not.

I believe the Warriors like him enough come up with a decent offer. So it would take him rejecting it AND another team offering him a lot of money. Possible but I'd push back against the idea that Poole is likely gone by the end of next season.

Not force his way out, but if he has the chance to get paid and run his own team, wouldn’t you do it if you were him? Strike while the iron is hot, one injury or one bad season could take it all away
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,079

Post#99 » by The-Power » Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:17 pm

FNQ wrote:
The-Power wrote:
FNQ wrote:

Not force his way out, but if he has the chance to get paid and run his own team, wouldn’t you do it if you were him? Strike while the iron is hot, one injury or one bad season could take it all away

Oh, I don't doubt that he might want that (he for sure wants it down the road; the question is how much patience he has). My point was more that the decision would still be with the Warriors whether to match the offer or not. Moreover, your point about a possible injury or bad season would also mean that he might be open to negotiate an extension when he becomes eligible instead hoping for max money in 2023.

And again, I'm not saying Poole is definitely going to stay. But I see a solid chance that both he and the Warriors have sufficient mutual appreciation and incentive to keep working together beyond his current contract. But we'll probably have a better idea of what's going to happen when the off-season arrives.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#100 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:41 am

Keep gp2. Lee and jta are expendable.

Return to Golden State Warriors