Tomjas wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
Tomjas wrote:
Much of this post is about feelings/personality and not logic

You think that Ben is aloof then try Bjorn Borg

You think that Tobi isn’t outwardly passionate then try Ernie Els

The issue is quality

The Sixers need size, athleticism, rebounding, playmaking and defence

Being the process, aloof, a bookworm or smiling won’t cut it as it’s all about winning

Alright man, tell me what should have happened? Yes, Embiid and Doc called Ben out, which he deserved. Many players are fine with it, but some take it to heart. Ben clearly did. How do you deal with him shrinking in the playoffs. How do you deal with him bailing on the team? What is the solution to all of this. Please help me understand.

First move of the off season should have been to sack Doc

Simmons was terrible offensively against the Hawks but Rivers cost us the series

Don’t give me any bs about a 5 year contract

Harris & his partners bought the franchise for $300 million & it’s now worth $2 billion + so they can eat his deal

Not only is Rivers a terrible coach but he completely screwed the Simmons situation & Ben is infinitely more important than Doc

He’s also alienated several top players - Paul, Kawhi, George, Simmons

Doc is a complete fraud

Second move was to shoot Tobias into the sun as he doesn’t fit with anyone on the team

Westbrook was traded for value so why can’t Harris?

Ben will probably never come back but the fact that Doc & Tobi are still here is a joke

Rivers messed up by not doing hack a capela same time hawks were hacking A Simmons.

Everyone who watched the series saw fear in Capela’s eyes. He was equally 33% free throw shooting as Ben. He’s 60% free throw shooter himself. They remove capela. Hawks have zero size left. That alone would have saved us in game 5 up by 10 points 3.5 minutes left. That’s coaching. And doc rivers failed to recognize it. Capela was bricking almost anything at the rim with embiid nearby as well.

It would have changed the series results. All on doc rivers.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,870

Re: Maxey and Embiid? 

Post#82 » by mjkvol » Sun Jan 2, 2022 4:20 pm

Tomjas wrote:
You think that Ben is aloof then try Bjorn Borg

You think that Tobi isn’t outwardly passionate then try Ernie Els

Are you going to seriously compare NBA basketball with sports like tennis and especially golf? Golfers are trained to keep their emotions in check and just focus on the next shot - they all have sports psychologists as part of their 'teams' for just that purpose.

Players in sports like basketball and football thrive on the release of emotions and passion, using them to their advantage to gain any edge they can get. Tiger Woods aside, how many top golfers have routinely shown outward emotion?
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#83 » by mjkvol » Sun Jan 2, 2022 4:27 pm

kuclas wrote:Rivers messed up by not doing hack a capela same time hawks were hacking A Simmons.

Everyone who watched the series saw fear in Capela’s eyes. He was equally 33% free throw shooting as Ben. He’s 60% free throw shooter himself. They remove capela. Hawks have zero size left. That alone would have saved us in game 5 up by 10 points 3.5 minutes left. That’s coaching. And doc rivers failed to recognize it. Capela was bricking almost anything at the rim with embiid nearby as well.

It would have changed the series results. All on doc rivers.

Rivers messed up more than that in the Hawks series, but letting them get away with having Capela on the floor was coaching incompetence. While Simmons was the most obvious villain in the series loss, a good coach would have mitigated his weaknesses and never had him on the floor in those situations, and never would have stuck with rotations that were clearly failing in big spots.

It's pretty clear that among the moves Morey needs to make to give the Embiid era any shot at real success is to jettison Rivers after this season. Sadly, I don't see that happening short of a complete implosion.
SixersSince82
Junior
And1: 202

Post#84 » by SixersSince82 » Sun Jan 9, 2022 1:57 am

mjkvol wrote:
Rivers messed up more than that in the Hawks series, but letting them get away with having Capela on the floor was coaching incompetence. While Simmons was the most obvious villain in the series loss, a good coach would have mitigated his weaknesses and never had him on the floor in those situations, and never would have stuck with rotations that were clearly failing in big spots.

It's pretty clear that among the moves Morey needs to make to give the Embiid era any shot at real success is to jettison Rivers after this season. Sadly, I don't see that happening short of a complete implosion.

If Daryl can't get the return he wants for Ben come summer time what are the chances he simply fires Doc and hopes that's a big step toward repairing the team's relationship with Simmons?
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#85 » by mjkvol » Sun Jan 9, 2022 2:10 am

SixersSince82 wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

If Daryl can't get the return he wants for Ben come summer time what are the chances he simply fires Doc and hopes that's a big step toward repairing the team's relationship with Simmons?

That would also require a big sell to Joel, and then to the team that has adjusted to new roles and busted their asses while Ben partied with what's her name. It's highly unlikely, but if it was accompanied by a Harris trade netting something more than a bag of balls it might not be the worst outcome.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#86 » by rzzzzz » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:24 pm

So the last game before Maxey last entered the virus protocols, I thought he and Jo had really found it. The two of them continued that rapport in the presser afterwards. Since he’s been back, it seems like Maxey spends a lot more time standing in the corner, and much more on the ball with the 2nd unit. That made sense, maybe, earlier in the season, and maybe if they trade Simmons for a really good point guard, but right now, I’d like to see Doc go back to where we were a couple of weeks ago. The Jo-Maxey thing just started looking so damn promising.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#87 » by mjkvol » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:43 pm

rzzzzz wrote:So the last game before Maxey last entered the virus protocols, I thought he and Jo had really found it. The two of them continued that rapport in the presser afterwards. Since he’s been back, it seems like Maxey spends a lot more time standing in the corner, and much more on the ball with the 2nd unit. That made sense, maybe, earlier in the season, and maybe if they trade Simmons for a really good point guard, but right now, I’d like to see Doc go back to where we were a couple of weeks ago. The Jo-Maxey thing just started looking so damn promising.

Possibly preparing for a coming trade?

Just a thought.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant

Post#88 » by rzzzzz » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:59 pm

mjkvol wrote:Possibly preparing for a coming trade?

Just a thought.

Coming in? At this point, I buy the sense that that we’re not going after Fox because of Maxey. No Harden this season. Dame still has a lot of healing to do, if he even comes back. If Pop stays with the Spurs, and he is somehow fascinated with Simmons being his next major project, yes I’d definitely want Murray, who would be our #1 pg. Otherwise, why not Max the Maxey potential now. Even if he’s going out, which would not be popular with the fan base, the way he’s been used recently hardly showcases him.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#89 » by mjkvol » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:27 pm

rzzzzz wrote:
mjkvol wrote:Possibly preparing for a coming trade?

Just a thought.

Coming in? At this point, I buy the sense that that we’re not going after Fox because of Maxey. No Harden this season. Dame still has a lot of healing to do, if he even comes back. If Pop stays with the Spurs, and he is somehow fascinated with Simmons being his next major project, yes I’d definitely want Murray, who would be our #1 pg. Otherwise, why not Max the Maxey potential now. Even if he’s going out, which would not be popular with the fan base, the way he’s been used recently hardly showcases him.

Oh no I wasn't referring in any way to moving him! More of a change of role to fit an incoming player. To me, Maxey is the one untouchable aside from Biid.

Anyway, it was just a thought.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,753

Post#90 » by Sixersftw » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:48 pm

Read on Twitter

The Big bro-little bro energy is off the charts. This is the Fultz that was promised.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant

Post#91 » by rzzzzz » Tue Feb 1, 2022 4:06 am

Maxey comes up big, again, when Embiid finally takes a game off. Got to be a way to get these two completely copacetic.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,538

Post#92 » by SixthStreet » Tue Feb 1, 2022 6:06 am

I don't think it's all that complex to figure out. Maxey needs to let the triples fly in the half court and have the keys to push on misses for 1 man fast breaks. I feel like we play at a slower pace to maximize Embiid but just like we let Simmons race down the court Maxey needs to be enabled to do the same.

Maxey also needs to work on his ball handling so he can can break down defenders with change of direction. Right now if his straight line drive is cut off he doesn't have a counter that can get him into the paint. That would make him more effective in half court situations and could improve his ability to get to the line.
strotorious
Ballboy
And1: 51

Post#93 » by strotorious » Tue Feb 1, 2022 4:14 pm

Agree with both of the last two posts. Maxey needs to figure out how to remain aggressive and effective playing with Embiid, but still needs some development to become a true lead guard. To me the obvious answer is to stagger the rotations the way Brown did with Embiid and Simmons. Start and end each half with both, but in between set the rotations so there's just one of them on the court. There'd be a stretch of Embiid post and kick or his two man game with Curry and there'd be a stretch of Maxey pick and roll with Drummond.

Maxey gets equal chance to develop his own game and his chemistry with Embiid, and as a bonus it would reduce the defensive liability of Maxey and Curry in the same backcourt, Harris could put up his quiet but efficient 20 ppg without ever being the first option, and we'd never have to see point Korkmaz again.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,429

Post#94 » by Eyeamok » Tue Feb 1, 2022 4:57 pm

mjkvol wrote:
SixersSince82 wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

That would also require a big sell to Joel, and then to the team that has adjusted to new roles and busted their asses while Ben partied with what's her name. It's highly unlikely, but if it was accompanied by a Harris trade netting something more than a bag of balls it might not be the worst outcome.

At the end of last nights game. Embiid was smiling like crazy giving high fives to all the players on the team. The guy is happy and part of that happiness has to be playing for Doc. You are right. I feel it would have to be a massive sell to get Embiid on board with Doc being fired.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,674

Post#95 » by stormi » Tue Feb 1, 2022 5:39 pm

Maxey got himself enshrined in FreeDawkins showdown history?

Our boy has become a man.
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,031

Post#96 » by Murray_17 » Wed Feb 2, 2022 12:44 am

Read on Twitter

More time to bond with Joel :P
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,753

Post#97 » by Sixersftw » Wed Feb 2, 2022 2:29 am

Murray_17 wrote:
Read on Twitter

More time to bond with Joel :P

Just give me one picture with them and Harden at All Star Weekend. I'm a messy ***** that lives for drama.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,509

Post#98 » by 76ciology » Wed Feb 2, 2022 3:13 am

What makes undersized combo guards be very good? I think its being able to chuck 3s. That’s what I see from Garland and Trae.

If Maxey wants to take it to the next level, it all depends on how much and how good he can in chucking those 3s.

But hey, Rome isn’t built in a day.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,504

Post#99 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Wed Feb 2, 2022 3:49 am

76ciology wrote:What makes undersized combo guards be very good? I think its being able to chuck 3s. That’s what I see from Garland and Trae.

If Maxey wants to take it to the next level, it all depends on how much and how good he can in chucking those 3s.

He'll never hit them at the rate Trae Young does, but I think Maxey will be just fine. I remember it took Lou Williams a few years in the league before he began to really knock em down. Maxey will get there, possibly as early as next season.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,509

Post#100 » by 76ciology » Wed Feb 2, 2022 4:10 am

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
76ciology wrote:What makes undersized combo guards be very good? I think its being able to chuck 3s. That’s what I see from Garland and Trae.

He'll never hit them at the rate Trae Young does, but I think Maxey will be just fine. I remember it took Lou Williams a few years in the league before he began to really knock em down. Maxey will get there, possibly as early as next season.

Yeah lou will is also a possibility.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers