Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,687

Re: PBP announcer Kate Scott will replace Marc Zumoff 

Post#301 » by stormi » Sun Jan 9, 2022 3:28 pm

Unpopular opinion:

McGinnis is nothing special.
Kate is also nothing special, indifferent on her. Not sure about this war on words.

I like Alaa actually, he's jovial and seems like an oaf but maybe I've just gotten used to him and his lame jokes and glaring homerific antics.

Jackson, whatever.

None of these guys are great. Zu was the greatest there ever was, and will be and it'll be nothing but disappointment if you're expecting a replacement to grab that torch any time soon.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,899

Post#302 » by mjkvol » Sun Jan 9, 2022 3:32 pm

GutUNC wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
Black Mage wrote:Fire Alaa, he's straight trash and Zumoff covered up just how bad he is.

I'll give Kate one more year to see if it's having to work with Alaa that is causing her issues.

Wish Jackson could take over for Alaa, reminds me of when we had Malik Rose who was awesome.

After hearing McGinnis and Jackson, it's pretty clear that they had the perfect team already in house. They wanted a woman, simple as that, which is their prerogative. Malik Rose was great at least partly due to working with a pro like Zumoff. Put Jackson with Kate and unless she settles down the clowning and shouting, it will be much of the same. The PBP announcer sets the tone of the broadcast.

I really don't have any strong feeling one way or another about Kate but why is the assumption that "they wanted a woman"? Why can't they have just made a bad hire instead of believing she's an affirmative action hire?

You may very well be correct. That's just the feeling I had from the moment Zumoff announced his retirement.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#303 » by mjkvol » Sun Jan 9, 2022 3:43 pm

stormi wrote:Unpopular opinion:

Kate is also nothing special, indifferent on her. Not sure about this war on words.

I like Alaa actually, he's jovial and seems like an oaf but maybe I've just gotten used to him and his lame jokes and glaring homerific antics.

Jackson, whatever.

None of these guys are great. Zu was the greatest there ever was, and will be and it'll be nothing but disappointment if you're expecting a replacement to grab that torch any time soon.

Agree somewhat with this except I think much more of McGinnis than you do and believe he would have eventually grabbed that torch - he's a local guy, highly thought of, and already had a good rep doing radio.

Kate just reeks of the typical ESPN PBP characteristics, and is much more suited to doing games on that network where you're not hearing her on a nightly basis and hyping every game and moment and being part of the broadcast is part of the job. She seems like a very nice person, but professionally she and McGinnis couldn't be further removed.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,481

Post#304 » by GoSixersBro » Sun Jan 9, 2022 4:10 pm

McGinnis is great. I think he's had to be over the top on radio because he's solo. He's essentially having a conversation with himself as opposed to say Merrill Reese who has Mike Quick to bounce his calls, emotions, etc. off of.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#305 » by mjkvol » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:01 pm

Okay, we're at about the mid-season point, what is everyone's take on our new team after having half a season to settle in?

To me, if anything, last night's game against SAC was the low point so far, and I don't see it changing.

Kate has only gotten worse with the screaming - last night the entire second half was her shouting, rooting for the Sixers like an 8th grader, cackling, and the ridiculousness of the post game song - at least she didn't start singing it last night. She's been here for about 15 minutes and acts like a lifelong Philly fan. Her knowledge of the sport is as good as any PBP announcer, I wish she's just take a breath and call the game, but what we've seen is probably what we'll continue to get.

Alaa's homerism is completely over the top. Another one who had a cup of coffee here and acts like a Philly lifer. He gets annoyed when opponents argue with calls or opposing fans chant 'MVP' for one of their players, and believes every call against the Sixers is wrong. Perfect example was the five second call on Niang, when even after it was shown to be five seconds, he still maintained it was wrong.

I've always loved announcers here that are homers (Hart, Kalas, Reese), but these two take it to a level that is just ridiculous and childish. I always hated when games were national because we missed Zumoff, but now I much prefer national games or even the Net or Knick feed we sometimes get, and are able to have a professional broadcast unless we luck out and get McGinnis for a night. I don't think either one is going anywhere, so this is what we'll have for the foreseeable future.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,528

Post#306 » by 76ciology » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:12 pm

Mjkvol,

I agree with everything you said.

I’ve given up and been just watching other team’s broadcast. I’ve never done this throughout multiple decades of watching Sixers games.

Maybe Kate and Alaa are doing well. It’s just not for my taste. I don’t mind Kate or Alaa, just not both. One of them should be replaced by either McGinnis or Marc Jackson. If both, then great. But both Kate and Alaa, It’s a disaster for me.

For those who are experiencing the same issues, I’d like to lead you to the light and just listen to opposing team’s TV coverage. It’s not as good as Zumoff and Malik Rose back then. But its nowhere near as bad or painful as Kate and Alaa.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Post#307 » by ankle420breaker » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:03 pm

I'll add that both Kate and Alaa think they're funnier than they actually are.... cant speak for everyone, but would imagine this just oozes annoyance from their collective audience.

Also-- its Cringe City with Kate's overemphasized enthusiasm on just about every play. To each their own, just not my style.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#308 » by mjkvol » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:09 pm

[quote="ankle420breaker"]I'll add that both Kate and Alaa think they're funnier than they actually are.... cant speak for everyone, but would imagine this just oozes annoyance from their collective audience.

Also-- its Cringe City with Kate's overemphasized enthusiasm on just about every play. To each their own, just not my style.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app[/quote]

Oh, no doubt, they have so many little inside type jokes (which Kate has to inform us are inside jokes) during the course of a game. That is the current trend of announcers making themselves part of the broadcast, always letting us know what the producer is doing, etc. Incredibly annoying, but they are convinced it's entertaining.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#309 » by mjkvol » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:12 pm

76ciology wrote:Mjkvol,

I’ve given up and been just watching other team’s broadcast. I’ve never done this throughout multiple decades of watching Sixers games.

Maybe Kate and Alaa are doing well. It’s just not for my taste. I don’t mind Kate or Alaa, just not both. One of them should be replaced by either McGinnis or Marc Jackson. If both, then great. But both Kate and Alaa, It’s a disaster for me.

For those who are experiencing the same issues, I’d like to lead you to the light and just listen to opposing team’s TV coverage. It’s not as good as Zumoff and Malik Rose back then. But its nowhere near as bad or painful as Kate and Alaa.

How do you get the other team's broadcast? Once in a while here we'll get the Nets or Knicks feed, which is fine. Ian Eagle and the woman he works with do a great job on Nets games.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#310 » by LloydFree » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:56 pm

stormi wrote:Unpopular opinion:

Jackson, whatever.

It may not be popular but that is correct. McGinnis isn't anything special. I'd go so far as to say he isn't good at all. But older fans of the team have become accustomed to his schtick and younger fans don't know any different.That said, Kate sounds like an average Small Town college broadcaster. The only difference between them, in quality to the ear, is familiarity.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,509

Post#311 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:54 pm

Big time McGinnis fan for his radio calls. Very entertaining and quick witted. The job is harder then you think. As for Kate and Alaa...Kate irritates me. My wife who doesn't watch sports at all complains about just having to hear her voice if I put the game on in the Living room. Alaa is cool for the most part. I'm honestly just glad to be able to watch the games for a change.
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#312 » by agiaco » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:04 pm

I have never been less interested in watching the Sixers local broadcast on league pass since league pass was an option. After signing in late to watch the game last night, I was greeted by Kate yelling "ANDDD IT'S TIED AT EIGHTY ONE" and I immediately wanted to turn off the tv. The next few minutes was followed by more excruciatingly bad yells and overexcitement. It's sad that Zu is gone more than anything.
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#313 » by agiaco » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:05 pm

mjkvol wrote:
76ciology wrote:Mjkvol,

How do you get the other team's broadcast? Once in a while here we'll get the Nets or Knicks feed, which is fine. Ian Eagle and the woman he works with do a great job on Nets games.

You need league pass - can select which broadcast you want to listen to through the app.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,776

Post#314 » by Skates » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:26 pm

I hoped Kate would get Alaa to use some more modern references when broadcasting games, but it almost seems to have gone the other way. I’ve been watching Sixers basketball and the NBA since just after Dr J arrived on the Sixers so I get the references, but I have to think a lot of people don’t and we all want something fresher and more timely. Her announcing is fine, just stop the references that make me feel my age, lol.

Marc and Tom are a nice change of pace, but I could see their schtick getting repetitive pretty quickly.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#315 » by mjkvol » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:31 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:My wife who doesn't watch sports at all complains about just having to hear her voice if I put the game on in the Living room.

Ha! My wife walked through the room a couple of times when she was in mid-shriek, and said "is she serious?" with an incredulous look. I simply said "very".
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#316 » by mjkvol » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:44 pm

Skates wrote:I hoped Kate would get Alaa to use some more modern references when broadcasting games, but it almost seems to have gone the other way. I’ve been watching Sixers basketball and the NBA since just after Dr J arrived on the Sixers so I get the references, but I have to think a lot of people don’t and we all want something fresher and more timely. Her announcing is fine, just stop the references that make me feel my age, lol.

Marc and Tom are a nice change of pace, but I could see their schtick getting repetitive pretty quickly.

That's the beauty of having a Zumoff and why guys like that are irreplaceable. He had a conversational style that made it like watching with an old friend, and got excited at the proper times, not every time a Sixer made a play.

I'm certainly not an Alaa fan, but his dated references are the least of the problem with the broadcast IMO. Funny thing is that with Alaa, Jackson, and Lynam, all the Sixers have in their broadcast team are guys from a different era. Kate doesn't have the gravitas to 'modernize' Alaa, and I'm not sure she is the least bit concerned.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,776

Post#317 » by Skates » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:55 pm

Kate is trying to be Maxey level deferential to Zumoff’s legacy, which she has done just fine, but now they need to move on to something different and up to date.

Dear gods, every time I see Jimmy Lynam and that beard I want to ask him where he hid his pot of gold, lol.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,133

Post#318 » by Arsenal » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:00 am

After half the season, not impressed with Kate. She's annoying.

Get rid of her and bring in Tom (or anyone) please.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,509

Post#319 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:39 am

Who was the radio announcer in the early 90s? He'd say "Hawkins, three point shot GOT IT"
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Post#320 » by ankle420breaker » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:44 am

mjkvol wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:My wife who doesn't watch sports at all complains about just having to hear her voice if I put the game on in the Living room.

Ha! My wife walked through the room a couple of times when she was in mid-shriek, and said "is she serious?" with an incredulous look. I simply said "very".
My wife just entered the room

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Philadelphia 76ers