Kevin Durant
77%

Total votes: 35

Matt15
Assistant Coach
And1: 499

Starting a Team- Karl Malone or Kevin Durant 

Post#1 » by Matt15 » Sun Jan 9, 2022 9:48 pm

Who would you rather build a new team around?
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,669

Re: Starting a Team- Karl Malone or Kevin Durant 

Post#2 » by penbeast0 » Sun Jan 9, 2022 9:54 pm

Athough the incredible ironman stats are, well, incredible, in today's league I take Durant without a question. Before the 3 point shot, Karl Malone. In between, it depends on how the coach uses Durant.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,606

Post#3 » by Peregrine01 » Sun Jan 9, 2022 10:22 pm

I’d take Karl knowing that he’s more likely to stick with us.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,500

Post#4 » by 70sFan » Sun Jan 9, 2022 10:33 pm

I think that Durant peaked higher and showed more quality on average throughout his prime, but some things to consider:

1. Malone was the ultimate ironman, while Durant's durability is suspect.

2. Malone played on a small market team for basically his entire career. Durant left Warriors in the best situation possible.

3. Malone turned small market Utah to a title contenders for over decade. While he did have Stockton, overall he played with much weaker talent than Durant.
SHAQ32
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,945

Post#5 » by SHAQ32 » Sun Jan 9, 2022 10:46 pm

penbeast0 wrote:Athough the incredible ironman stats are, well, incredible, in today's league I take Durant without a question. Before the 3 point shot, Karl Malone. In between, it depends on how the coach uses Durant.

I don't think it's going on a limb to assume Malone would be shooting 3's in 2022 (and a lot of them)

From 1997 until 2002 (Karl's last all-star season) he averaged 78% from the line. Are there any players today, that are strictly PFs, that both shoot 78% or better from the line and do not shoot 3s?
falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 5,986

Post#6 » by falcolombardi » Sun Jan 9, 2022 11:00 pm

SHAQ32 wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:Athough the incredible ironman stats are, well, incredible, in today's league I take Durant without a question. Before the 3 point shot, Karl Malone. In between, it depends on how the coach uses Durant.

I don't think it's going on a limb to assume Malone would be shooting 3's in 2022 (and a lot of them)

From 1997 until 2002 (Karl's last all-star season) he averaged 78% from the line. Are there any players today, that are strictly PFs, that both shoot 78% or better from the line and do not shoot 3s?

generally is hard for big to take many long distance shots

guards can run off screens (Curry, ray allen, reggie) or use their handles and picks to get shots off at volume from the 3 point line (harden, lillard)

but bigs usually dont have the stamina(bigger bodies tire more quickly), mobility and handles to do either at volume, and there is just so many spot up shots a player can get

bigs with strong playmaking which malone seemed to have seem to work better opersting off the post where they can simultaneously threaten the defense with passing (to a cuttee or out of double team) shooting a strong midrange or attacking the rim from close enough they dont need too many dribbles (see jokic)

i am sure he would incorporate the 3 point shot, i just dont think it would become his main source of offense
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,764

Post#7 » by Colbinii » Sun Jan 9, 2022 11:26 pm

I would take Karl Malone, even without him developing a good 3 point shot [Which is weird].
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,534

Post#8 » by sp6r=underrated » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:36 am

Not sure how I come down on the comparison. These are two similar level players. But I do know Malone had a GOAT level work ethic.

1. His 3 point shot would be around Lebron level.
2. His muscle mass would have stayed at late 80s to keep up with today's high pace rather than late 90s slowball.
SHAQ32
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,945

Post#9 » by SHAQ32 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:20 pm

I think Malone's 3-pointer would be better than LeBron, at least as far as catch-and-shoot. And he's just got a more fluid stroke in general, despite the bulk.
No-more-rings
Head Coach
And1: 3,850

Post#10 » by No-more-rings » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:26 pm

Malone feels like the safer pick given his goat level durability. Durant's average prime level is higher, but i don't think it's by a significant amount.
Sublime187
Rookie
And1: 1,092

Post#11 » by Sublime187 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:08 pm

I think Malone is overrated as a number one option. His numbers came down considerably in the playoffs. He is likely a better defender but I think KD is much more reliable on offense. KD before Warriors was not always great in the playoffs either but I think he again has been much better then Malone.

I don't think you win anything today if Malone is your number one guy whereas KD is one of the few superstars in the league.
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,474

Post#12 » by pillwenney » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:39 am

Interesting question of how Malone would be used defensively in this era. He's such a pure PF, including in that way. He really doesn't have the heigh or length to protect the rim. My guess is he would have to slim down a little in hopes of becoming more switchable. He'd probably still be among the very strongest players in the league, and an absolute freight train rolling to the rim in an era with better spacing.

Anyway, if we're going to consider things like durability and loyalty, I kinda think one has to also consider that a team would receive more pressure than any time in the modern era to not have Malone on their team, given his past, and the current climate. I wonder how that would complicate things.

Outside of the scope of that, purely as a player, I'd pretty easily pick Durant--more portable to the playoffs, better in isolation, probably over all more deadly.
falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 5,986

Post#13 » by falcolombardi » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:29 am

the point about karl malone past ( child rapist) PR disaster not allowing a team to play him today is a good one

normally i would separate the person from the player but in karl malone case, the former may impact the latter
wetsthebed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,216

Post#14 » by wetsthebed » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:49 am

pillwenney wrote:Interesting question of how Malone would be used defensively in this era. He's such a pure PF, including in that way. He really doesn't have the heigh or length to protect the rim. My guess is he would have to slim down a little in hopes of becoming more switchable. He'd probably still be among the very strongest players in the league, and an absolute freight train rolling to the rim in an era with better spacing.

He'd need to cut down some of that #breastmeat.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,178

Post#15 » by Statlanta » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:08 am

Karl Malone, his longevity guarantees me a window of competition as long as I'm not incompetent.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,797

Post#16 » by Larry_Russell » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:33 pm

Malone had real nice form on his jumper iirc, I would bet in todays game he would stretch the floor quite well.

Return to Player Comparisons