Start Bjelica

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Re: Start Bjelica 

Post#101 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:51 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:Well here's the question:

How many centers in the league today require a big physical defensive center to defend them? Even the Joker and Embiid play as much outside as inside. Given that, why wouldn't we want a more gifted offensive player....3 point shooter and passer....over an undersized guy that might offer a little more resistance defensively?

Really...asking...who are the centers in the league that we need to worry about?

Let's focus on passing and ability to set a pick and then DO SOMETHING AFTER THAT ACTION...including take a three point short or make the next really good pass.

The post scoring game of old style centers is rare. The problem is that if you don't have a tool to fight that it can kill you, so you need to have something to put in for that.

Jokic, Embiid, Ayton, KAT, Rudy, Vucevic, Valanciunas, and Nurkic are all capable of going beyond 20 points in the paint on a night, even though the best of them are also deadly from outside the paint where it's more about length to defend them than mass.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,656

Post#102 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:17 am

Drummand and Cousins have the battering ram offensive game. Is Cousins playing for anybody?
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#103 » by FNQ » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:31 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Drummand and Cousins have the battering ram offensive game. Is Cousins playing for anybody?

No, which says a lot about his impact / ability

We dont need that style, we never have. The last player we had like that (besides Cousins) was JON, who backed it up with capable defense.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,656

Post#104 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:49 am

ILOVEIT wrote:
Someone please tell me the last time Looney stopped anyone? Let's not confuse having a nose for the ball and getting an offensive rebound to legit defense that makes a difference. Looney is a smart vet that will never hurt you. But to say he's a defensive player....really? He's undersized always....can't shoot....often get's roofed and can't even put shots back.

Looney is like grandpa's old sweater...we love him cause he's safe but I think BJ can set the same screens and he can also do something.

In most the possession in this video...you'll see that as the plays develops looney is always a zero threat to score. Replace him with BJ and he must be guarded.

[url]

As the video shows, you can't just ignore the screen setter even if the screen setter can't shoot. The screen setter can roll to the hoop or the screen setter can go somewhere ekse and set another screen for somebody else so the guy switched onto the screen setter must switch again onto the next guy having a screen set for them.

Kind of like of like. 2016 the Warriors seem to be killing defenses with precise well scripted offense. Like Bogut, Looney can't shoot but he knows how to contribute.

I think the 2nd unit needs BjA's shooting more than the first unti does. Looney knows how to play with Steph and Dray.
Leave Looney with the 1st unit.
Popovich
Pro Prospect
And1: 293

Post#105 » by Popovich » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:34 am

Even the Serbian national team gave up on him, he is finished there, there is no space for him there anymore, he admitted this himself after the Olympic qualification game that they (we) lost vs Italy in which he was terrible. Why is he even playing in such a good team as GSW are? To be honest he should retire or if he really likes money so much, try his luck in some non-Euroleague club.

And I admit I was wrong about the center advice as Loonie is doing a pretty good job so far.
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 217

Post#106 » by sonnyhill » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:37 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:
ILOVEIT wrote:
Someone please tell me the last time Looney stopped anyone? Let's not confuse having a nose for the ball and getting an offensive rebound to legit defense that makes a difference. Looney is a smart vet that will never hurt you. But to say he's a defensive player....really? He's undersized always....can't shoot....often get's roofed and can't even put shots back.

Looney is like grandpa's old sweater...we love him cause he's safe but I think BJ can set the same screens and he can also do something.

In most the possession in this video...you'll see that as the plays develops looney is always a zero threat to score. Replace him with BJ and he must be guarded.

[url]

As the video shows, you can't just ignore the screen setter even if the screen setter can't shoot. The screen setter can roll to the hoop or the screen setter can go somewhere ekse and set another screen for somebody else so the guy switched onto the screen setter must switch again onto the next guy having a screen set for them.

Kind of like of like. 2016 the Warriors seem to be killing defenses with precise well scripted offense. Like Bogut, Looney can't shoot but he knows how to contribute.

I think the 2nd unit needs BjA's shooting more than the first unti does. Looney knows how to play with Steph and Dray.
Leave Looney with the 1st unit.

Cousins signed a 10-day contract with Denver (https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nuggets-to-sign-demarcus-cousins-to-10-day-contract-per-report/)

While both are "undersized," Green and Kuminga may be the best "post defenders" on this year's roster. Looney, however, is the better rebounder.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#107 » by FNQ » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:23 pm

Nemo’s defense (and certainly offense) has fallen off a bit. His strength seems to be providing a different style than Looney, which throws off opposing players.

In late December, Nemo’s tracking impact (defensively) was much better when Looney had more minutes, almost linearly. This was unusual because typically a player will get more minutes if they are playing well, so you’d expect the stats to reflect that. Not so. Nemo played better when Looney got more minutes.. so my theory is that since both are smart positional defenders, Nemo takes advantage of Looney’s aggressiveness on D. Example: a guy drives down the lane. Looney is there, locked in his man, then switches to the middle to actively contest the shot. Later, in the same scenario, Nemo is locked in his man and leans towards middle, but stays on his man

Looney tries to take away shooting angles, more vulnerable to passes
Nemo takes away passing lane, more vulnerable to the shot

It’s not 100% of the time, but the data and eye test point to that being the case.. what’s truly impressive about Looney this year is that despite challenging the shots more, his rebrate is somehow spiking and he’s one of the best rebounders in the league. He’s having a career year
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,391

Post#108 » by SpreeChokeJob » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:31 pm

Popovich wrote:Even the Serbian national team gave up on him, he is finished there, there is no space for him there anymore, he admitted this himself after the Olympic qualification game that they (we) lost vs Italy in which he was terrible. Why is he even playing in such a good team as GSW are? To be honest he should retire or if he really likes money so much, try his luck in some non-Euroleague club.

And I admit I was wrong about the center advice as Loonie is doing a pretty good job so far.

Bjelica is extremely valuable if his three’s are going down, but he’s more negative on the floor when it’s not. Which is what has been happening lately when he hasn’t been hitting at a good clip.

He complicates things more he has to. That screws up his shot. He doesn’t shoot when he’s open, he drives when he is open, shoots when he is covered or when he is very long range. Belly, is close to 7ft, no one is going to come close to blocking his shot if there is even a little bit of separation. Instead he drives into traffic which leads me grumbling to the tv.

He’s getting a lot of open looks too which makes it more frustrating. He prefer to drive when he is open. It’s like watching Bizarro play basketball. He has a high percentage play with greater reward, but most of the time the drives are ineffective because the defender already is a few feet away from him and he is flat out open. He gives the advantage back to the defense which leads to a turnover most of the time.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,891

Post#109 » by Samurai » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:45 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Popovich wrote:Even the Serbian national team gave up on him, he is finished there, there is no space for him there anymore, he admitted this himself after the Olympic qualification game that they (we) lost vs Italy in which he was terrible. Why is he even playing in such a good team as GSW are? To be honest he should retire or if he really likes money so much, try his luck in some non-Euroleague club.

Bjelica is extremely valuable if his three’s are going down, but he’s more negative on the floor when it’s not. Which is what has been happening lately when he hasn’t been hitting at a good clip.

He complicates things more he has to. That screws up his shot. He doesn’t shoot when he’s open, he drives when he is open, shoots when he is covered or when he is very long range. Belly, is close to 7ft, no one is going to come close to blocking his shot if there is even a little bit of separation. Instead he drives into traffic which leads me grumbling to the tv.

He’s getting a lot of open looks too which makes it more frustrating. He prefer to drive when he is open. It’s like watching Bizarro play basketball. He has a high percentage play with greater reward, but most of the time the drives are ineffective because the defender already is a few feet away from him and he is flat out open. He gives the advantage back to the defense which leads to a turnover most of the time.

Seems that his release is not particularly quick, and he must feel that it is slow. Similar to Omri Caaspi, who was a good 3-point shooter but had a slow release and was thus reluctant anytime someone was near him. Bjelly needs to have more confidence that he can get his shot off and take those (relatively) open 3's instead of driving into traffic and causing a turnover.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,391

Post#110 » by SpreeChokeJob » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:54 pm

Samurai wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:

Seems that his release is not particularly quick, and he must feel that it is slow. Similar to Omri Caaspi, who was a good 3-point shooter but had a slow release and was thus reluctant anytime someone was near him. Bjelly needs to have more confidence that he can get his shot off and take those (relatively) open 3's instead of driving into traffic and causing a turnover.

You’re correct. He’s probably lost confidence in his shot. The release is not the issue. Due to the offense he has plenty of clearance from the defender given his height and slow release, but he rather drive. Maybe he’s no longer hitting in practice. When he’s open though, this is me to the tv screen.

Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,082

Post#111 » by Outside » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:57 pm

Bjelica's problem is that he has no midrange game. For his career, 2.6 percent of his shots have come from 10-16 feet, and 2.8 percent have come from 16 feet to the three-point line. He also shoots poorly when he takes those shots (32.8 and 31.9 percent).
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,552

Post#112 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:27 pm

Stop. Bumping. Old. Threads.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly

Return to Golden State Warriors