ImageImageImageImageImage

Sportsnet and TSN have butchered their broadcasts

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

JD143726
Senior
And1: 1,145

Sportsnet and TSN have butchered their broadcasts 

Post#1 » by JD143726 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:09 pm

What the hell were they thinking? The new sideline reporters are awful, they keep trying to push Kayla Gray, Kia Nurse and the fat ex player on sportsnet, and they are all AWFUL. Between that and Devlin's corny regurgitated jokes, the broadcasts have become unwatchable. Just awful all the way around. Get some professionals on the sideline, on the broadcast and in the studio. This amateur hour crap is the worst.

*edit*

I'm the OP and I just wanted to clarify some stuff I said in the original post:

- Devlin is *excellent* when the games matter. Big regular season game, playoffs, whatever. He's very good. The problem is that his sense of humour is big time cringe and when the games don't mean anything he feels like he has to be comedic, which is most of the past two years. And that is the worst. Remember his 'what it do' at the championship parade? Big time cringe.

- TSN is at fault for annoying me with Kayla, rather than Kayla herself, because that f'n commercial played on *EVERY SINGLE COMMERCIAL BREAK* for the NBA Playoffs and the next four months. I was like 'uh, she must have a lot of talent' but I didn't make any judgements. But even *after* all of that ad spend *and the dismal ratings* *and* the bland TV work that adds nothing to the show...now, I don't like her. Call me racist, IDGAF.

- Kate sucks too. She's completely fake, and a phony, as anyone knows her would attest.

- The production values stink. The people ripping on the 'guys in the truck' are completely right.

- Moving Amy off camera, to replace Alvin, would be fine. I just don't need to see that on the sideline, but she knows her stuff. A Devlin/Amy duo would be fine. Moving Paul Jones and Eric Smith to TV would be ideal, but that's probably not going to happen.

- Multi billion dollar corporations should be putting out better products.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,047

Re: Sportsnet and TSN have butchered their broadcasts 

Post#2 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:09 pm

I actually think Kia Nurse is legit very good
JD143726
Senior

Post#3 » by JD143726 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:11 pm

TSN ran Kayla Grey's commercial for her show during the playoffs during EVERY commercial and the ratings are still below the toilet. Time to move on and recognize sunk costs, folks.
scuervo1
Junior
And1: 366

Post#4 » by scuervo1 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:17 pm

I don't think Amy is as bad as you make it out to be. Alvin is worse.
Mack11
RealGM
And1: 56,985

Post#5 » by Mack11 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:19 pm

lets be real has it ever been good? ppl manage to complain about anything like norma wick or the guys in the truck, leo rautins etc etc
right between the eyes
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,503

Post#6 » by right between the eyes » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:20 pm

What is the deal with Kayla Grey? Why are they highlighting her so much? Does she have family in the network? She sounds like nails on a chalkboard. And for her to get her own show is utterly ridiculous!
JD143726
Senior

Post#7 » by JD143726 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:21 pm

scuervo1 wrote:I don't think Amy is as bad as you make it out to be. Alvin is worse.

Alvin sucks too. Toronto is huge, they can't find people who don't suck at this?
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,685

Post#8 » by Badonkadonk » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:23 pm

JD143726 wrote:What the hell were they thinking? The new sideline reporters are awful, they keep trying to push Kayla Gray, Kia Nurse and the fat ex player on sportsnet, and they are all AWFUL. Between that and Devlin's corny regurgitated jokes, the broadcasts have become unwatchable. Just awful all the way around. Get some professionals on the sideline, on the broadcast and in the studio. This amateur hour crap is the worst.

Kia Nurse is fantastic, easily the most insightful "analyst" they've had.

The rest are debatable. Losing Rautins was a huge improvement regardless imo.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,492

Post#9 » by Duffman100 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:23 pm

JD143726 wrote:What the hell were they thinking? The new sideline reporters are awful, they keep trying to push Kayla Gray, Kia Nurse and the fat ex player on sportsnet, and they are all AWFUL. Between that and Devlin's corny regurgitated jokes, the broadcasts have become unwatchable. Just awful all the way around. Get some professionals on the sideline, on the broadcast and in the studio. This amateur hour crap is the worst.

Okayyyy no need for that at all
digitalallstar
Senior
And1: 321

Post#10 » by digitalallstar » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:28 pm

What's up with all this complaining about the broadcast lately? When I'm watching I'm so focused on the gameplay I don't even realise people are talking over the action. We have what we have. Live with it and enjoy the actual sport that's happening before your eyes.

Sent from my SM-F926W using Tapatalk
Beets, bears, Battlestar Galactica.
RaptorReloaded
Veteran
And1: 970

Post#11 » by RaptorReloaded » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:31 pm

I actually really like Amy, Kia and Nikki. Those three are amazing and need more airtime. Kayla is unfortunately unbearable at times which is a shame. You can tell she’s trying very hard and cares but just hasn’t put together the right formula for an on air personality.

If it were up to me I’d have Amy replace Alvin (I like Alvin too but Amy is way better) and swap Nikki and Kayla. Nikki is an OG and been doing this for awhile. I think she deserves a better role based on her time and preformance.
PrinceV
Rookie
And1: 697

Post#12 » by PrinceV » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:41 pm

Just be happy we can watch basketball.
Ref_from_hell
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,712

Post#13 » by Ref_from_hell » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:43 pm

While I will say Amy is better than Alvin, and Kia is pretty good, I personally can't stand Kayla Gray either.

My personal opinion is that Sportsnet and TSN aren't hiring purely based on who the best talent is anymore. There are other motives.
Caped Crusader
Veteran
And1: 3,855

Post#14 » by Caped Crusader » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:46 pm

OP sounds like he's fun at parties. Some people just enjoy complaining about anything and everything while being extremely offensive in their incessant whining.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM Forums mobile app
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,556

Post#15 » by VanWest82 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:47 pm

Raptors coverage had become stale. Same personalities for years and years. Raptors are finally doing something about it.

Kayla isn't good, I agree. I'm pretty happy with Kia and Amy though. Amy has even done surprisingly well with Matt calling games. They have rapport. Alvin was just ok.

There have been other personalities in there too both in pre-game and as sideline reporters. They're finally experimenting and that's a good thing.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,362

Post#16 » by Lateral Quicks » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:48 pm

Don't forget TSN is currently running the backup team - it's usually Kate Beirness in the host's seat. I don't mind Kayla Gray on the sideline, but she's not my cup of tea as host. Kia Nurse and Leo are fine.

At Sportsnet, I'm not comfortable with Alvin alongside Matt. He needs a lot more practice before he's ready for this role. Amy on the sideline is fine.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,859

Post#17 » by Kingsway_fan » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:51 pm

digitalallstar wrote:What's up with all this complaining about the broadcast lately? When I'm watching I'm so focused on the gameplay I don't even realise people are talking over the action. We have what we have. Live with it and enjoy the actual sport that's happening before your eyes.

It's impossible to listen to the game when clowns Devlin and jack are shouting every 10 seconds....
digitalallstar
Senior
And1: 321

Post#18 » by digitalallstar » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:55 pm

Kingsway_fan wrote:
digitalallstar wrote:What's up with all this complaining about the broadcast lately? When I'm watching I'm so focused on the gameplay I don't even realise people are talking over the action. We have what we have. Live with it and enjoy the actual sport that's happening before your eyes.

It's impossible to listen to the game when clowns Devlin and jack are shouting every 10 seconds....

It's hard to hear them when I'm the one screaming at the TV.
Beets, bears, Battlestar Galactica.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 9,973

Post#19 » by tecumseh18 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:59 pm

This is exactly the right stance. The non-sexist, non-racist and non-body-shaming position.

I enjoy hearing what opposing teams' commentators say about the Raps, and listen to their broadcasts the next morning (after League Pass strips the ads out). But I don't even see the point of comparing them to our broadcasts. Except ... I noticed years ago that they were more diverse than the Raptors broadcasts (think Stephanie Ready in Charlotte).

And now Raptors broadcasts are more diverse. Kayla is bringing the flava "with her whole chest". And that makes me happy.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 21,760

Post#20 » by ItsDanger » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:01 pm

The quality is poor for this market. That's what happens when the best end product is not the objective.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.

Return to Toronto Raptors