Clippers Could Become Sellers At Trade Deadline

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Clippers Could Become Sellers At Trade Deadline 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:10 pm

The Los Angeles Clippers are operating under the possibility that Paul George may not return to game action this season, sources tell Jake Fischer of Bleacher Report.

George sustained a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow earlier this season.

The Clippers announced the injury on Christmas Day and gave a 3-4 week timetable for when he would be reevaluated.

Kawhi Leonard has also been out all season with a torn ACL.

The combination of injuries to their best two players could lead the Clippers to become sellers ahead of the deadline.

The front office of the Clippers approached Steve Ballmer this past offseason about treating this 21-22 season as more of "a gap year," league sources told Bleacher Report, and Ballmer gave his approval. This strategy has become called the "Warriors model" in which a contending team uses star injuries as an opportunity to reset. 

The Clippers, however, owe their unprotected pick in 2022 to the Oklahoma City Thunder.

"They're pretty much open for business for anyone except their main guys and Terance Mann. I think they really are fine falling out of the playoffs and regrouping for next year," said one Western Conference official. "I think they're trying to shed the Marcus Morrises of the world, guys that have some value and maybe can replace them with younger talent, maybe cheaper [contracts], to free them to get someone else this summer." 

Via Jake Fischer/Bleacher Report

alphatron10
Senior
And1: 366

Re: Clippers Could Become Sellers At Trade Deadline 

Post#2 » by alphatron10 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:33 pm

Not sure why they would want to tbh. It's not like them tanking this season due to injury is gonna net them a decent draft pick, seeing as it's going to OKC anyways
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,643

Post#3 » by Johnny Bball » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:42 pm

Well that doesn't make any sense at all.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,044

Post#4 » by Laimbeer » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:47 pm

Nobody wants Morris on that contract.
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#5 » by GunnerWRX » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:33 pm

The “Warriors model” was to get a lottery pick while the stars were injured.

The Clippers’ gap year is to give a lottery pick to OKC while the stars are recovering?

Big difference.
BooRadleysHouse
Sophomore
And1: 36

Post#6 » by BooRadleysHouse » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:43 pm

Doesn’t make much sense, but let’s be honest, outside of the stars this roster is trash. It wouldn’t hurt to trade off some of these aging guys like Ibaka, Morris, and Bledsoe and bring on younger guys who can get some court time and then re-tool for next year. I don’t think it’s a matter of tanking for the draft, but a matter of cleaning out the garbage
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,962

Post#7 » by Cassius » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:40 pm

It sucks that guys are physically ailing, nobody wants to wish an injury on anyone, but the entire organization deserve everything coming to them with the way they've operated. The Blake trade was in bad taste though understandable, but after (bitter Raptors fan) stalking Kawhi then roughing up Luka in the playoffs, it's hard to feel bad for them. They're capped out with damaged, soon-to-be ageing stars and no picks. Good luck.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#8 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:50 pm

Fire Sale... All players must go!

Players with injury problems:
Kawhi
George
Ibaka
Batum
Morris

Underachievers:
Jackson
Bledsoe
Kennard
Win-slow

Solid players that are no longer relevant in today's NBA
Zubac

I can't talk about the Clippers!
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Post#9 » by BigHustle » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:28 pm

alphatron10 wrote:Not sure why they would want to tbh. It's not like them tanking this season due to injury is gonna net them a decent draft pick, seeing as it's going to OKC anyways

Save money. Not about winning. Always follow the $$$.
BigTex
Senior
And1: 79

Post#10 » by BigTex » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:41 pm

If I were a Clippers fan -- and I am decidedly not -- swaping out of older guys forr some younger guys sound great. But who on the roster has any substantial trade value now? Can't say as I can think of anybody that has much. Maybe Jackson has some. But the rest are pretty much league average players. Not going to get much in return.

Return to Wiretap Discussion