ImageImageImageImageImage

Dalano Banton Discussion / Appreciation

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

pilkoids
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,316

Re: Dalano Banton Discussion 

Post#361 » by pilkoids » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:30 pm

Need to find this kid more playing time
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,887

Post#362 » by Kingsway_fan » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:43 pm

pilkoids wrote:Need to find this kid more playing time

He is not nba ready.. perhaps by next year he van be a rotation piece.
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Post#363 » by Kevin Willis » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:15 pm

Kingsway_fan wrote:

His defense is porous. He cannot shoot outside consistently. His vision is limited impacting his PnR. I agree he needs another year. It's tough to go from a decent player in college to being a rotation player on a playoff team.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,618

Post#364 » by Psubs » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:23 pm

Kingsway_fan wrote:

He's too good for the GLeague so just keep getting reps. He'll be okay next season.
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,713

Post#365 » by Ell Curry » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:11 pm

What's his situation as an RFA in 2023? Like what's the max offer he can get from a team like OKC?
Where's the D?
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,630

Post#366 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:54 am

Psubs wrote:
Kingsway_fan wrote:

He's too good for the GLeague so just keep getting reps. He'll be okay next season.

He finds his shot, he's going to be very good next year as, not as a rookie, but for all intents and purposes, a rookie. But his three and shot is very much a work in progress.
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,748

Post#367 » by Badonkadonk » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:23 am

Psubs wrote:
Kingsway_fan wrote:

I watched the last stream, when they won by that clutch 3 by Bonga.

Banton is not too good for the Gleague. It wasn't like watching Fred back in the day - he didn't stand out, got bodied, made bad decisions in haste etc.

The game still needs to slow down for him, which is understandable given his path. I think he needs A LOT of reps with the 905.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,560

Post#368 » by DreamTeam09 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:23 pm

I really like this kids game. He's a one man fast brake. He's the fastest player with the ball on our team. Looks like he's shooting better in the gleague too, atleast from 3. I wouldn't mind him getting some more reps with us.

He's gonna reinforce what we are tryna do in a good way.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
VC15Era
Bench Warmer
And1: 865

Post#369 » by VC15Era » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:04 pm

thought Barnes feel of cliff but Dalano just blew up.. that happens when we are in win now mode.
Madhouse
RealGM
And1: 9,876

Post#370 » by Madhouse » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:18 am

He won't get minutes in the NBA this year so develop in G League and hopefully become a rotational player next season
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,380

Post#371 » by Tha Cynic » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:08 pm

Dalano kind of changed his style of game, similar to Flynn as the season has gone on. In the first few games you saw someone who showed court vision and only attacked when he saw an open lane. Now he tries to do too much offensively, and this is hurting him, just like it's hurting Flynn.

I think both players are kind of stuck playing the way the entire team was playing in the first couple of months when all this team seemed to do was have each individual player isolate and go one on one against the defense. For whatever reason Flynn started doing that this year after showing a good ability to run the point last season, especially the pick and roll. Similarly Banton has gone away from what made him successful in the first several games and is now trying to play too much like a combo guard. I don't know if both players were told to be more aggressive with their offense, but that's taking away from what they're good as.
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,879

Post#372 » by agkagk » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:30 pm

Not a finished product.

Super tootsie.

But, Definitely not ready for regular burn.

Needs to hit the gym in the off season. He gets pushed around a lot which is why he’s struggling to initiate the offense.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,516

Post#373 » by WaltFrazier » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:38 pm

A year away but a keeper. My issue is I see him in 905 games just driving through everyone and finishing over them . Things he can't do in the big league. He needs to work on his handle and running halfcourt offense, playmaking.

But I've only watched a few parts of 905 so may be off base
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#374 » by johanliebert » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:51 pm

Tha Cynic wrote:Dalano kind of changed his style of game, similar to Flynn as the season has gone on. In the first few games you saw someone who showed court vision and only attacked when he saw an open lane. Now he tries to do too much offensively, and this is hurting him, just like it's hurting Flynn.

I think both players are kind of stuck playing the way the entire team was playing in the first couple of months when all this team seemed to do was have each individual player isolate and go one on one against the defense. For whatever reason Flynn started doing that this year after showing a good ability to run the point last season, especially the pick and roll. Similarly Banton has gone away from what made him successful in the first several games and is now trying to play too much like a combo guard. I don't know if both players were told to be more aggressive with their offense, but that's taking away from what they're good as.

Flynn has never show the ability to run point and get the team into their sets. Being able to run the pick and roll doesn’t mean you have vision or can run a team it’s essentially a 2 man game.

I’ll never get why people claim Flynn was a playmaker he’s never shown that skill and it’s why he’s glued to the bench for 2 seasons now.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,571

Post#375 » by bluerap23 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:53 pm

Honestly, has a very long way to go as an offensive player. The improved jump shot form is encouraging, but it didn't take long for defences to adjust to his drive game. I am currently higher on Champagnie because he has more of a niche game as a role player. Dalano has the higher ceiling, but I'm concerned about certain aspects of his game. Won't really know more until next season.

Right now it looks like he can turn into Kyle Anderson, which is a useful player for sure. The problem is, as a second round draft pick, his window is smaller to develop on our team.
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#376 » by johanliebert » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:54 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:A year away but a keeper. My issue is I see him in 905 games just driving through everyone and finishing over them . Things he can't do in the big league. He needs to work on his handle and running halfcourt offense, playmaking.

I’ve seen him finish through contact and over defenders in the NBA. His issue is getting by his defender in the half court he can only get to the basket in transition.

Who knows if he’ll ever be ready when more rookies are coming in next season. Like Flynn he’s another overrated prospect by this board.
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,431

Post#377 » by mtcan » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:53 pm

I look forward to seeing if Banton's game continues to develop. He isn't NBA ready this season.

In the event that this team proceeds to stink it up on this upcoming road trip and pivots towards a tank...I wouldn't be opposed to seeing more Banton with the big club...but otherwise I look forward to seeing him in summer league.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,323

Post#378 » by WuTang_OG » Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:06 pm

Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,801

Post#379 » by Los_29 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:01 pm

johanliebert wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:A year away but a keeper. My issue is I see him in 905 games just driving through everyone and finishing over them . Things he can't do in the big league. He needs to work on his handle and running halfcourt offense, playmaking.

I’ve seen him finish through contact and over defenders in the NBA. His issue is getting by his defender in the half court he can only get to the basket in transition.

Who knows if he’ll ever be ready when more rookies are coming in next season. Like Flynn he’s another overrated prospect by this board.

Did you just say Flynn is an overrated prospect on this board? Just a month ago, this board wanted him off the team and had completely given up on him.

I don't know where people get this stuff from. :lol:
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,516

Post#380 » by WaltFrazier » Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:03 pm

He's done a great job of staying ready. He was playing shifts when Fred sat before ASG, the Flynn took his minutes, now he's back contributing. Fine games vs Spurs and Nuggets. The play where Thad lobbed to Khem, Banton made an underrated bounce pass to Thad to get that break started. And some great assists of his own
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.

Return to Toronto Raptors