ImageImageImageImageImage

PG: RJ Tells Chanel: “Hold My Beer” while Randle Hangs Up His Spurs

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,180

Re: PG: RJ Tells Chanel: “Hold My Beer” while Randle Hangs Up His Spurs 

Post#721 » by DOT » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:19 pm

Capn'O wrote:^If we had been able to get Paul AND some good role players we would have challenged the Heatles in the east. But we didn't have the pieces.

There's a scenario where we trade for CP3 using a similar package we sent out for Melo, who doesn't force his way out of the Nuggets but instead leaves in the offseason to sign with us, and since we didn't also trade for Chauncey, we use the amnesty on Amare

Potentially, we still have enough cap space to sign Tyson, but I'm not sure

Then, cause we didn't trade for Melo mid-season, we win less games and miss the playoffs, but instead of drafting Shump, we take another defensive wing in Kawhi Leonard

A man can dream.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,553

Post#722 » by Capn'O » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:23 pm

K-DOT wrote:
Capn'O wrote:^If we had been able to get Paul AND some good role players we would have challenged the Heatles in the east. But we didn't have the pieces.

There's a scenario where we trade for CP3 using a similar package we sent out for Melo, who doesn't force his way out of the Nuggets but instead leaves in the offseason to sign with us, and since we didn't also trade for Chauncey, we use the amnesty on Amare

Then, cause we didn't trade for Melo mid-season, we win less games and miss the playoffs, but instead of drafting Shump, we take another defensive wing in Kawhi Leonard

A man can dream.

There was one poster on here (Stutterstep) who championed waiting for 2011 to have free agent money instead of 2010. That, allowing bloated contracts to organically come off the books while we stacked assets.

To save on a lot of waxing poetic... he got a lot of flak for it and he was 100% right.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,254

Post#723 » by Chanel Bomber » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:24 pm

K-DOT wrote:

A man can dream.

Melo wanted an extension before the lockout.

He was never going to sign in free agency.

The Nets had a trade lined up for him (the Deron Williams deal) if the Knicks didn't make a move. He would have signed the extension with them then.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,180

Post#724 » by DOT » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:54 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
K-DOT wrote:

A man can dream.

The Nets had a trade lined up for him (the Deron Williams deal) if the Knicks didn't make a move. He would have signed the extension with them then.

Yeah, but facts have never gotten in the way of a good narrative

When I suggest this scenario, it comes with the caveat of Melo being fine with waiting until free agency and not needing an extension before the lockout

That's really the big change. Cause I know Melo didn't force the Nuggets to trade him to us, and I know he didn't force us to trade for him, but if he weren't so adamant about the extension as well as not signing it with the Nuggets, we could have done the above. Still unlikely, cause I don't know if what we sent for Melo would've been seen as equivalent to what the Clips offered for CP3 at the time, but it's a hypothetical.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,975

Post#725 » by whocares1 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:46 pm

The Knicks were never going to use the amnesty on STAT either. He was well loved in the front office and they likely wouldn’t have. The problem was trading for Bargnani and forcing Melo back to the 3. They needed to get a 3 and D at the SF instead.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,254

Post#726 » by Chanel Bomber » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:54 pm

K-DOT wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
K-DOT wrote:There's a scenario where we trade for CP3 using a similar package we sent out for Melo, who doesn't force his way out of the Nuggets but instead leaves in the offseason to sign with us, and since we didn't also trade for Chauncey, we use the amnesty on Amare

A man can dream.

Yeah, but facts have never gotten in the way of a good narrative

When I suggest this scenario, it comes with the caveat of Melo being fine with waiting until free agency and not needing an extension before the lockout

That's really the big change. Cause I know Melo didn't force the Nuggets to trade him to us, and I know he didn't force us to trade for him, but if he weren't so adamant about the extension as well as not signing it with the Nuggets, we could have done the above. Still unlikely, cause I don't know if what we sent for Melo would've been seen as equivalent to what the Clips offered for CP3 at the time, but it's a hypothetical.

:lol:

Sure, I honestly didn't know whether you knew that aspect of the whole situation, that's why I mentioned it.

Him coming to the Knicks in free agency would've probably altered the outcome, as you said. How much? Hard to tell. It's fun to think of the possibilities.

Eric Gordon was more highly regarded at the time than any of our young players. He was seen as a surefire future All-Star at the time. The Knicks would've had to send at least two unprotected firsts in addition to Gallinari is my guess.

I also wonder if the Knicks had amnestied Amar'e instead of Billups, if Chris Paul would've signed or not, seeing that the Clippers were on the rise with him, Blake and DAJ - in a big market too. I don't remember if we would've had the cap to sign him with Melo and Chandler on the books either - not to mention the cap holds of the young guys. And I'm feeling lazy so I won't look it up.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,349

Post#727 » by dakomish23 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:59 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:RJ started off slowly last year and came on. It was just a mistake to write off his season after 15 bad games. It's ok. You are all forgiven.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,349

Post#728 » by dakomish23 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:02 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
K-DOT wrote:

A man can dream.

And the UTA exec said whoever lost the Melo bid was who he was going to call for the Dwill deal.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,045

Post#729 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:35 pm

Melo said George Karl wanted to trade him to Utah for Derrick Favors
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,898

Post#730 » by GONYK » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:44 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:Melo said George Karl wanted to trade him to Utah for Derrick Favors

Would have been difficult, since Favors was a Net at the time
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,045

Post#731 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:47 pm

GONYK wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:Melo said George Karl wanted to trade him to Utah for Derrick Favors

Would have been difficult, since Favors was a Net at the time

Whoops meant the Nets. I’ll see myself out lol
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 14,559

Post#732 » by KnixtapeH20 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:58 pm

Capn'O wrote:^If we had been able to get Paul AND some good role players we would have challenged the Heatles in the east. But we didn't have the pieces. That's the formula though. The Billups+ model. Unfortunately, Billups himself broke down.

On a more base level Melo/Amare was not a great pairing and then Amare broke down. And we've been trying to get as many power forwards as possible since to recreate that magic :lol:

LOL jesus
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,866

Post#733 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:08 pm

KnixtapeH20 wrote:
Capn'O wrote:^If we had been able to get Paul AND some good role players we would have challenged the Heatles in the east. But we didn't have the pieces. That's the formula though. The Billups+ model. Unfortunately, Billups himself broke down.

On a more base level Melo/Amare was not a great pairing and then Amare broke down. And we've been trying to get as many power forwards as possible since to recreate that magic :lol:

LOL jesus

Maybe we should put McBride on the Zion Diet to beef him up for the frontline
ImageImageImage
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,443

Post#734 » by cgmw » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:29 pm

whocares1 wrote:The Knicks were never going to use the amnesty on STAT either. He was well loved in the front office and they likely wouldn’t have. The problem was trading for Bargnani and forcing Melo back to the 3. They needed to get a 3 and D at the SF instead.

The problem was ALSO that the Knicks would never use amnesty on STAT when it was obvious they should have despite being beloved. The problem was ALSO that the Knicks failed to be attractive to higher-level FAs so they reached on STAT ignoring the very clear medical evidence that his knees were done. The problem was ALSO that the Knicks were so hard up to get multiple Max Cats that they completely ignored the bad fit of Melo-Amare. The problem was ALSO that the Knicks doubled down on Amare-Melo by trading the farm for Melo. The problem was ALSO that the Knicks triple-downed on Amare-Melo by using Amnesty on Chauncey to sign yet another dubious fit in Chandler. And yes, of course, the problem was also Bargnani. But by then it was too late.

Singling out "The Problem" with the Knicks is useless unless you subscribe to my personal philosophy of the buck ending with Jimmy D.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,313

Post#735 » by duetta » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:38 pm

cgmw wrote:
whocares1 wrote:The Knicks were never going to use the amnesty on STAT either. He was well loved in the front office and they likely wouldn’t have. The problem was trading for Bargnani and forcing Melo back to the 3. They needed to get a 3 and D at the SF instead.

The problem was ALSO that the Knicks would never use amnesty on STAT when it was obvious they should have despite being beloved. The problem was ALSO that the Knicks failed to be attractive to higher-level FAs so they reached on STAT ignoring the very clear medical evidence that his knees were done. The problem was ALSO that the Knicks were so hard up to get multiple Max Cats that they completely ignored the bad fit of Melo-Amare. The problem was ALSO that the Knicks doubled down on Amare-Melo by trading the farm for Melo. The problem was ALSO that the Knicks triple-downed on Amare-Melo by using Amnesty on Chauncey to sign yet another dubious fit in Chandler. And yes, of course, the problem was also Bargnani. But by then it was too late.

Singling out "The Problem" with the Knicks is useless unless you subscribe to my personal philosophy of the buck ending with Jimmy D.

The other problem was that because of colossal management incompetence, the Knicks were saddled with the unmovable contract, Eddy Curry, and thus were not in the position to offer Lebron, Bosh, and Wade a chance to play together in NYC.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,024

Post#736 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:21 pm

Lillard getting surgery and will be out indefinitely, and some of you wanted to trade everything for him. I despise some of you :evil:
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#737 » by Marty McFly » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:38 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:Lillard getting surgery and will be out indefinitely, and some of you wanted to trade everything for him. I despise some of you :evil:

incoming top 3 pick for the blazers.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.

Return to New York Knicks