ImageImageImage

Ime has got to go!

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Time for Ime to go?

1. Yes….right now!
26%
2)Maybe, but not right now.
17%
3 No, not even close to enough time to evaluate him.
45%
4. No way, love the guy.
12%

Total votes: 142

Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,747

Re: Ime has got to go! 

Post#201 » by Larry_Russell » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:12 pm

keevsnick1 wrote:To be fair to Ime, he has started to make some adjustments. No Smart-Schroder pairing the last two games. Closed with Jrich/Brown/Tatum/Grant/Rob which is the c's bets shooting lineup.

Of course still starting two bigs, and still not getting any minutes for the young guys. But its baby steps.

I feel like a conversation from Brad happened.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,006

Post#202 » by Hal14 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:17 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:
keevsnick1 wrote:To be fair to Ime, he has started to make some adjustments. No Smart-Schroder pairing the last two games. Closed with Jrich/Brown/Tatum/Grant/Rob which is the c's bets shooting lineup.

Of course still starting two bigs, and still not getting any minutes for the young guys. But its baby steps.

Maybe, maybe not.

Heaven forbid, we give Udoka credit for anything.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,141

Post#203 » by playa-hater » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:44 am

My kid once came home with a 55 on his test. When I blew up, he said at least he got more than half right :o :banghead:

My point is so what. Ime did something right doesn't take away from the fact he is NOT a good coach.

and me saying "not a good coach" is me being civil tonight.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#204 » by playa-hater » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:24 am

Larry_Russell wrote:

yeah maybe two months too late :o
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,528

Post#205 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:50 am

Good statement of the negative view.

New coach Ime Udoka seems to be from the Mark Jackson and Mike Singletary school of making everything about heart and effort and poise and "wanting it more than the next guy" with little regard for putting his players in actual good positions to succeed. In his defense, he wants ball-and-player movement but has a roster full of guys who want to play out of their own bag.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/lakers-among-biggest-disappointments-at-halfway-point-but-lebron-james-still-looks-like-a-playoff-cheat-code/
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#206 » by playa-hater » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:02 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:Good statement of the negative view.

New coach Ime Udoka seems to be from the Mark Jackson and Mike Singletary school of making everything about heart and effort and poise and "wanting it more than the next guy" with little regard for putting his players in actual good positions to succeed. In his defense, he wants ball-and-player movement but has a roster full of guys who want to play out of their own bag.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/lakers-among-biggest-disappointments-at-halfway-point-but-lebron-james-still-looks-like-a-playoff-cheat-code/

that's normally what AAU coaching is.. carry on.
wetsthebed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,216

Post#207 » by wetsthebed » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:39 pm

Holy jeez. 34% of people here are reactionary enough to think a first-time coach needs to be fired halfway through his first season. Also think we should've traded Billups after half a season? We're not a contender anyway, give him more time to learn and adjust. Relax.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,528

Post#208 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:53 pm

playa-hater wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:Good statement of the negative view.

that's normally what AAU coaching is.. carry on.

As I said, that's a good statement of the negative view. But I lean toward it being incorrect. I think Ime has significantly changed how the guys play on offense, and we're in the valley right now where they're still learning how to play accurately in the new way.

As for defense -- it seems similar to Brad's: "Switch and selectively scramble". The defense is good when the effort is consistent and not so good when it isn't. Individual player development matters too, e.g. Grant Williams' quickness or Robert Williams' recognition.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 55,415

Post#209 » by bisme37 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:51 pm

So... I keep thinking about how woefully unprepared and unorganized we were last night vs Sixers. Not just as far as "getting up" for a big game or effort or motivation. Like, what was the gameplan last night? What was the purpose behind the choices we made throughout the game? What were we taking away defensively? What were we trying to get offensively? It was just a bunch of dudes randomly doing whatever.

Are players doing what Udoka wants them to do and this is what it looks like? Or they aren't doing what he wants and just out there freelancing making it up as they go along? Is Udoka making it up as he goes along? Does he go through a gameplan with the guys that focuses on winning strategies for each particular game? Why are we not seeing any rhyme or reason to anything?

Whatever the answer is it's not working. If this is the coach's vision for the team it sucks. And if it isn't, it kinda seems like that falls on him too since the whole team isn't listening.

Edit: I just noticed I may have set a record for number of questions asked in one comment hahaha.

Anyway, we were much better tonight (vs Bulls) with many of the things I complained about here. yay.
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,747

Post#210 » by Larry_Russell » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:22 pm

This year celtics run isolation 9.2% of the time

Last year 7.8%

This year
Tatum iso 20%
Schroder iso 16%
Brown iso 8%

Last year for those 3
Tatum 18.5%
Schroder 8.2%
Brown 7%

Imes offense is "just score"
gocelts
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,898

Post#211 » by gocelts » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:35 am

Both Stevens and Ime should be fired at the end of the season. This team is grossly underperforming.

Ime has shown nothing as a head coach. The guy is all talk. I’ve literally seen high-school teams more organized on offense. Other nba teams are laughing at us and we are completely ruining Brown and Tatum…at least Brown has the maturity to work on different parts of his game in spite of his horrible coach….and there’s talk about trading Brown?!?!?! This is how bad this moron is…we’re going to blow up a team around him ?!! And then what? He’ll improve with even younger players!?!?

How long until we stop moving the rookie coach goal posts? 10 games? 20 games ? 30 games?

Again, it’s unrealistic to fire a new coach mid season, but he should be sent packing after this season. He of course won’t because Stevens won’t want to admit it….but this is why they should both go.
~gocelts
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,963

Post#212 » by jfs1000d » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:55 am

Brad isn’t going anywhere. I bet he comes back as coach eventually. That said, Ime is getting slightly better. Team needs more shooting and a pg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,384

Post#213 » by Jaqua92 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:01 am

Eh. The team has a broken psychology. I'm willing to give Ime a pass until he fails to coach a new roster.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,850

Post#214 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:39 am

Old enough to remember fans complaining about Stevens not playing the Jays enough, playing too much smallball, and having an 11-man rotation. Be careful what you wish for. :)
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#215 » by playa-hater » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:28 pm

Bill Simmons makes it pretty clear what I have been saying.

https://fadeawayworld.net/nba-media/bill-simmons-takes-a-shot-at-the-boston-celtics-system-if-you-look-at-the-way-memphis-and-golden-state-have-developed-their-young-players-something-is-broken-on-the-celtics-side

"Bill Simmons has recently criticized the Celtics' system for the lack of development, claiming that "it's pretty clear" that something is wrong with the Celtics when comparing them to teams like the Grizzlies and the Warriors. He also added that Aaron Nesmith and Romeo Langford were "repeatedly buried from a minutes standpoint", and were "standing uselessly in the corner on every possession" for "multiple years".
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,210

Post#216 » by Parliament10 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:34 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Old enough to remember fans complaining about Stevens not playing the Jays enough, playing too much smallball, and having an 11-man rotation. Be careful what you wish for. :)

Yeahhh. But Stevens came in with a 25-57 Team.
And left, having brought the team to 3 ECF's in 4 years . . .
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,600

Post#217 » by Green89 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:20 pm

The Comedian wrote:
Green89 wrote:Look at the Cavs roster and record, then look at our roster and record. That alone should be enough to fire him, should we stay at this win percentage much longer. Most other competitive, top franchises would have fired him by now. Lakers for sure.

Not one franchise would have fired him less than halfway into a covid ridden season. Why haven’t the Lakers fired Vogel this season?

Posts like this are ridiculous.

Vogel's on the hot seat and was nearly fired after the Nuggets loss. Had he lost to the Jazz, this report says he was going to be canned. Lakers are 22-22 right now and currently a 6 seed. And I reiterate, top franchises don't allow poor coaching, especially not the Lakers.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/265482/Frank-Vogel-Was-Nearly-Fired-Following-Loss-To-Nuggets
Hal14
RealGM

Post#218 » by Hal14 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:14 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Old enough to remember fans complaining about Stevens not playing the Jays enough, playing too much smallball, and having an 11-man rotation. Be careful what you wish for. :)

Right, so maybe fans should relax, be patient, give Udoka a chance - and eventually he could lead the team just as far as Stevens did - if not further.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM

Post#219 » by Hal14 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:01 pm

Green89 wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
Green89 wrote:Look at the Cavs roster and record, then look at our roster and record. That alone should be enough to fire him, should we stay at this win percentage much longer. Most other competitive, top franchises would have fired him by now. Lakers for sure.

Not one franchise would have fired him less than halfway into a covid ridden season. Why haven’t the Lakers fired Vogel this season?

Posts like this are ridiculous.

Vogel's on the hot seat and was nearly fired after the Nuggets loss. Had he lost to the Jazz, this report says he was going to be canned. Lakers are 22-22 right now and currently a 6 seed. And I reiterate, top franchises don't allow poor coaching, especially not the Lakers.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/265482/Frank-Vogel-Was-Nearly-Fired-Following-Loss-To-Nuggets

1) LeBron has had basically every coach he's ever played for fired - bringing up Vogel is silly.

2) The Lakers being .500 is MUCH worse than the celtics being .500. The Lakers were legit title contenders in the preseason - the celtics were seen as a middle of the pack team in preseason.

Lakers were no. 3 team in the league in the preseason, Celtics were ranked 13th.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/nba-power-rankings-preseason-every-teams-best-case-scenario-2021-22/1k5s3acy0ro3d154h0s6uem007

You're comparing apples to oranges.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,210

Post#220 » by Parliament10 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:07 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:

Right, so maybe fans should relax, be patient, give Udoka a chance - and eventually he could lead the team just as far as Stevens did - if not further.

Based on what? -- What has Ime Udoka ever done?
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum

Return to Boston Celtics