Read on Twitter
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Re: Dame Over 

Post#2 » by red_power » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:51 pm

Considering the fact that Blazers are going to play the next 10 out of 12 games on a road, it's safe to assume this injury will be called a "season-ending" after him being reevaluated in 8 weeks.
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
RTG HD
Rookie
And1: 741

Post#3 » by RTG HD » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:53 pm

I hope we get someone good in the draft.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,436

Post#4 » by Pattycakes » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:06 pm

Honestly this team looks better this year without him. Might be odd but I could see us improving up to the playoffs, grabbing that 7/8 seed then him coming back for them.
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,796

Post#5 » by The Sebastian Express » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:14 pm

THE TANK IS ON!

I think we might see a CJ trade this year.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,838

Post#6 » by JasonStern » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:17 pm

Season has been a **** show.

Totally support:
* Shutting Dame down
* Tanking for a good pick
* Getting a new GM in place ASAP so he can start planning what he's going to do with this roster
* Ideally using the high pick plus CJ to land a Simmons or whoever is available upgrade

...and round out the roster to make another attempt next year. Not convinced that players like Nurkić, Covington, etc. have played their way into contracts that Portland couldn't afford without being a luxury tax team. So maybe keeping this core together is a good idea, maybe it's not. But at least the new GM would have options and an asset in a high pick to hopefully do something with.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,934

Post#7 » by DusterBuster » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:39 pm

Best possible situation at this point. Been an f'd season from the get-go, not just from the Blazers but for every team practically. Fine to punt on it and go for a pick, especially in a strong draft. Get into that Top 6-8 range and hope for a decent bounce of the lottery balls. Then use the pick or trade it (agreement and trade after player is picked for CBA rules) at the draft to get Dame some help.

I'd be fire-selling some vets off right now too. I would most definitely be trying to sell of RoCo to a playoff team for a low 1st rounder right now. If you can get a 1st back for him from like Memphis, Milwaukee or GS, that would free up a lot of options for trades before the deadline with the Blazers own pick if they want to be proactive about getting someone in town for Dame. That said, if Portland is going the tank route, might be best to just hold steady, sell off whoever you can for 1st rounders (like CJ, RoCo and maybe even Nurk), then play out the season and lottery to see where the dust settles at and make the big roster overhaul this summer.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,826

Post#8 » by Norm2953 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:47 am

The upcoming could very determine what road forward the team makes. Team could be a spoiler
if CJ comes back to team with Simons with McLemore as the third guard. They still lack a quality
PF type to make any real noise even if Dame pulls a MJ and comes back in the last 10 games of
the season.
Jsun947
Analyst
And1: 425

Post#9 » by Jsun947 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:24 am

Haynes says 6-8 weeks minimum which is the next 20-25 games.

If Dame is out the season (which we should assume) then trading Roco & Nurkic is an absolute must, both to make our team worse for a better pick and get some type of asset for them since neither will and/or should be re-signed. If we trade them for bad 1st or 2nd round picks though that’s going to rub Dame the wrong way if we’re trying to convince him to stay next season.

If we give up on CJ too then Dame definitely is going to want out for sure…

My guess is we do something like Roco & Nurkic for a player that’s useful next year and under contract, something like Roco+Nurkic for Oubre & Plumee and we keep CJ around then see how the ping pong balls fall.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 1,997

Post#10 » by Village Idiot » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:10 am

JasonStern wrote:Season has been a **** show.

Totally support:
* Shutting Dame down
* Getting a new GM in place ASAP so he can start planning what he's going to do with this roster
* Ideally using the high pick plus CJ to land a Simmons or whoever is available upgrade

...and round out the roster to make another attempt next year. Not convinced that players like Nurkić, Covington, etc. have played their way into contracts that Portland couldn't afford without being a luxury tax team. So maybe keeping this core together is a good idea, maybe it's not. But at least the new GM would have options and an asset in a high pick to hopefully do something with.
you had me nodding up to this point. If we get a high pick the last think I want to do is blow it on Ben Simmons. I'd be happy taking a chance on Simmons but don't think his value is that high any more.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
The Sebastian Express
And1: 9,796

Post#11 » by The Sebastian Express » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:18 am

If the pick isn't top three I'd trade it for Simmons with CJ, but we'd need additional coming back from Philly at that point. But I want Jabari Smith. Like everyone does.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,221

Post#12 » by monopoman » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:13 am

The only thing standing between this team and a high pick is Anfernee Simons, if this kid keeps playing like he has they could easily nab an 8th seed or something.

I realize Dame is the better player, but Anfernee has looked extremely good these past 6 games or so since he has been set as one of the main guys. The play-in format also helps make this more of a reality even if we end up 9th or 10th we can still get a playoff spot depending.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#13 » by Norm2953 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:25 am

I'm less concerned about a top 3 pick for whoever is there, is going to be a 19 year old who will need time
to grow into his body as well as time to develop and adjust to the league.

Team needs to fully evaluate the roster for if the impending free agents are still on the roster, team will
need to decide whether any attempt to sign them should be made as well decide on Dame/CJ. If the team
builds around Simons/Little as so many want them to do, how to best compliment them needs to be
decided. Let's see how the team finishes the season before any final decision is made. The most likely
course of action is going to be to move Roco to get under the tax line. He knows this and is beginning to
play better in the hope a playoff contender will trade for him.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#14 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:05 pm

Norm2953 wrote:I'm less concerned about a top 3 pick for whoever is there, is going to be a 19 year old who will need time

Team needs to fully evaluate the roster for if the impending free agents are still on the roster, team will
need to decide whether any attempt to sign them should be made as well decide on Dame/CJ. If the team
builds around Simons/Little as so many want them to do, how to best compliment them needs to be
decided. Let's see how the team finishes the season before any final decision is made. The most likely
course of action is going to be to move Roco to get under the tax line. He knows this and is beginning to

That's not always the case. Some can have an immediate impact. I think the Blazers need to wait and see where the pick lands and who they can potentially get first.

I'll be honest, I'm definitely a bit excited for a summer with the lottery again after so long of not caring about the draft because the Blazers got bounced in the first round.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,671

Post#15 » by PDXKnight » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:07 pm

Pattycakes wrote:Honestly this team looks better this year without him. Might be odd but I could see us improving up to the playoffs, grabbing that 7/8 seed then him coming back for them.

I doubt we make it past the deadline without a nurk and cov trade so i think the playoffs will be a huge question mark even more than it already is

And as far as our roster minus dame I think every team does ok for a time after losing a superstar to an injury. We had our little spurt just now i think, i’m saying this road trip squashes any playoff hopes pretty abruptly, 2-10 sort of record imo even without looking at opponents
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#16 » by Norm2953 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:55 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:I'm less concerned about a top 3 pick for whoever is there, is going to be a 19 year old who will need time

That's not always the case. Some can have an immediate impact. I think the Blazers need to wait and see where the pick lands and who they can potentially get first.

I'll be honest, I'm definitely a bit excited for a summer with the lottery again after so long of not caring about the draft because the Blazers got bounced in the first round.

It would be a factor with the 19 year old bigs unless the team is most interested in Banchero for as others have said,
Holmgren is far from a finished product at 195 lbs.

Going back to the other thread about Turner, one can see Portland packaging their high pick (after they are assured of
it being a lottery pick) in a package for Turner.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#17 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:44 pm

Norm2953 wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

It would be a factor with the 19 year old bigs unless the team is most interested in Banchero for as others have said,
Holmgren is far from a finished product at 195 lbs.

Going back to the other thread about Turner, one can see Portland packaging their high pick (after they are assured of
it being a lottery pick) in a package for Turner.

Again, every player is unique. Yes, most rooks are a work in progress, but some can come in immediately and have a noticeable impact. It's silly to write off that probability.

As for Turner, Portland can only include their pick in a deal for him at or very close to the actual draft due to restrictions with the pick being traded to Chicago from the Nance deal. So sure, Portland can do that, but they aren't getting Turner this season. The next complication to that is if they were to do that, then they need to resign him quickly, otherwise, Portland is potentially giving away a Top 10 lottery pick for a 1 year rental of Turner, which is not appealing - regardless of how long you think a rookie can take to develop.
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,161

Post#18 » by Dame Lizard » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:30 am

Village Idiot wrote:
JasonStern wrote:Season has been a **** show.

Totally support:
* Shutting Dame down

you had me nodding up to this point. If we get a high pick the last think I want to do is blow it on Ben Simmons. I'd be happy taking a chance on Simmons but don't think his value is that high any more.
I agree, particularly given the risk of Simmons not being happy in Portland either.

On the other hand, If Simmons came out and said he'd love to play in Portland long-term, then I would make that trade (CJ + high draft pick).

Simmons, for his flaws, is an excellent player and would be worth running alongside Dame. Portland has to take some risks to compete and I feel that would be worth taking.
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,161

Post#19 » by Dame Lizard » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:33 am

I really hope Portland doesn't even entertain the idea of extending Lillard.

He has two more guaranteed years after this season, and a player option for when he'll be 34 years old. Unless he's willing to take a reasonable paycut on his extension, then PLEASE don't extend him any further Portland.

I love Dame, and he's a great player, but a 6'2" point guard would be expected to be on the decline into his mid 30s. We don't want to mortgage our future on Dame having some $45-50M contract when he's 36 y.o. and may be a shell of the player he is now.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers