ImageImageImageImageImage

Thibs Got To Go

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,517

Re: Thibs Got To Go 

Post#121 » by Chanel Bomber » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:47 pm

Jay10 wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:Mike Woodson was better than Thibs, even though he didn't have a good year in 2013-14.

The FO really sabotaged him by adding Bargnani, on top of Stoudemire's return, when Melo had just had his best season playing the 4. I don't know to what extent his hands were tied, or if that was his responsibility as HC, but he should have kept playing Melo at the 4 and kept Bargnani and Amar'e as back-up 5s strictly.

Still, give me Woodson over Thibs any day of the week.

The front office didn't sabotage Mike Woodson. The 2012-2013 roster was made up of veteran players that won championships, and because of age they didn't return for the 2013-2014 season.

People still haven't come to notice that all of these coaches have the same coaching style:

Mike Woodson
Doc Rivers
Tom Thibodeau

They are all heavy-isolation coaches and in the end it comes down to the talent level of the players.

We definitely missed Kidd and Novak's 3-point shooting.

The Knicks ran one of the most modern offenses in 2012-13 under Woodson. A big reason why was Melo playing the 4 full-time because Amar'e - who was a net negative - missed most of the season. We essentially ran a 4-out line-up, which led to a lot of open 3s.

Anyway, I'm not calling Woodson a genius, or a great coach. And he's at least partly to blame for the 2013-14 season, although as you said it generally comes down to talent (and from that perspective I think Amare's negative impact is really underestimated). I just liked what I saw from him more than what I've seen from Thibs.
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
And1: 4,771

Post#122 » by Sprewell4Three » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:53 pm

First of all, the NBA needs to replace Dolan. And bring in actual basketball people. That know and understand the game. Seeing what Memphis is doing just shows you that building through the draft, hiring the right people can do. Knicks right now are trying to re build and try to sign old washed up vets. Can’t do both , it’s either one or the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BlueAndOrange33
Ballboy
And1: 19

Post#123 » by BlueAndOrange33 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:02 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:Mike Woodson was better than Thibs, even though he didn't have a good year in 2013-14.

I strongly disagree.

Coach Thibs.
10 NBA seasons as Head Coach.
413-298 overall.
115 games above .500%.
.581%.

NBA Coaching Awards:
▪︎2010-11 NBA Eastern Conference Coach of the Month (January).

▪︎2010-11 NBA Eastern Conference Coach of the Month (March).

▪︎2010-11 NBA Eastern Conference Coach of the Month (April).

▪︎2011-12 NBA Eastern Conference Coach of the Month (January).

▪︎2011-12 NBA Eastern Conference Coach of the Month (March).

▪︎2012-13 NBA Eastern Conference Coach of the Month (January).

▪︎2020-21 NBA Eastern Conference Coach of the Month (May).

☆ 2010-11 NBA Coach of the Year.
☆ 2020-21 NBA Coach of the Year.

Vs.

Mike Woodson:
9 NBA seasons as Head Coach.
315-365 overall.
50 games below .500%
.463%.

NBA Coaching Awards:
▪︎ 2012-13 NBA Eastern Conference Coach of the Month (April).

Etc.
Etc.

We all have our own opinions and to each our own but to tell us that Mike Woodson was better than coach Thibs imo is 100% false.
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 14,906

Post#124 » by KnixtapeH20 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:28 am

I'd hire Theo Pinson I know he could do a better job and Theo is pretty close to Thibs so the transition should be smooth

Plus when u listened to the games in Spanish everyone would think their uncle was coaching

Damn just realized I might have to explain the joke.. Tío in Spanish means uncle lol. I'll let myself out
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,313

Post#125 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:04 pm

Everyone hates Thibs, but Knicks have been missing 48 minutes of their presumed PG tandem and yet have gone 7-3 during that stretch. Ok, maybe Rose played a game in the beginning and Kemba got in a game or two.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#126 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:06 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
Jay10 wrote:

The FO really sabotaged him by adding Bargnani, on top of Stoudemire's return, when Melo had just had his best season playing the 4. I don't know to what extent his hands were tied, or if that was his responsibility as HC, but he should have kept playing Melo at the 4 and kept Bargnani and Amar'e as back-up 5s strictly.

The front office didn't sabotage Mike Woodson. The 2012-2013 roster was made up of veteran players that won championships, and because of age they didn't return for the 2013-2014 season.

People still haven't come to notice that all of these coaches have the same coaching style:

Mike Woodson
Doc Rivers
Tom Thibodeau

They are all heavy-isolation coaches and in the end it comes down to the talent level of the players.

We definitely missed Kidd and Novak's 3-point shooting.

The Knicks ran one of the most modern offenses in 2012-13 under Woodson. A big reason why was Melo playing the 4 full-time because Amar'e - who was a net negative - missed most of the season. We essentially ran a 4-out line-up, which led to a lot of open 3s.

Anyway, I'm not calling Woodson a genius, or a great coach. And he's at least partly to blame for the 2013-14 season, although as you said it generally comes down to talent (and from that perspective I think Amare's negative impact is really underestimated). I just liked what I saw from him more than what I've seen from Thibs.

I think Grimes has some Novak 2.0 potential.

He's got that pure shot that I think can lead to backbreaker 3's and run stopping 3's, even at around 20 mpg.

We shall see.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,407

Post#127 » by robillionaire » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:55 pm

I’m genuinely curious why people think with the lack of top shelf talent on this roster, the horrible shooting slumps, and injuries to players (including rose who many consider our best player at least when the narrative suits it) should be better than 21-21.

We threw a party each time this team would reach .500 last year. Because we knew how much they were overachieving relative to the talent on the team. But somewhere down the road we forgot. The FO made the team worse in the offseason. Thibs is at least keeping them moderately competitive and from being a total embarrassment. For that alone he shouldn’t go anywhere.

Woodson had prime melo who was an all star and a top talent. we don’t have that. None of our players made all star voting in the first returns. And we have a huge fanbase in the biggest city in the country and wouldn’t even vote for our own players. So that should say something about the talent on the team. It’s ranges from bad to mid. A clown coach like fizdale would have this team at 10-32 right now. Which I understand many would rather have for draft purposes but for the sake of the coach discussion isn’t a recipe for success. Thibs is making the most with what he has. Get an actual first option player in here and then let’s talk about it if the team isn’t winning more than .500
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#128 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:03 pm

robillionaire wrote:I’m genuinely curious why people think with the lack of top shelf talent on this roster, the horrible shooting slumps, and injuries to players (including rose who many consider our best player at least when the narrative suits it) should be better than 21-21.

We threw a party each time this team would reach .500 last year. Because we knew how much they were overachieving relative to the talent on the team. But somewhere down the road we forgot. The FO made the team worse in the offseason. Thibs is at least keeping them moderately competitive and from being a total embarrassment. For that alone he shouldn’t go anywhere.

Woodson had prime melo who was an all star and a top talent. we don’t have that. None of our players made all star voting in the first returns. And we have a huge fanbase in the biggest city in the country and wouldn’t even vote for our own players. So that should say something about the talent on the team. It’s ranges from bad to mid. A clown coach like fizdale would have this team at 10-32 right now. Which I understand many would rather have for draft purposes but for the sake of the coach discussion isn’t a recipe for success. Thibs is making the most with what he has. Get an actual first option player in here and then let’s talk about it if the team isn’t winning more than .500

This

I wish his offense was more varied though.
Then again, with better talent, maybe it would be.
Probably not.
That's the way it is sometimes. That someone is very good, but still flawed and not great.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,407

Post#129 » by robillionaire » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:14 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
robillionaire wrote:I’m genuinely curious why people think with the lack of top shelf talent on this roster, the horrible shooting slumps, and injuries to players (including rose who many consider our best player at least when the narrative suits it) should be better than 21-21.

This

I wish his offense was more varied though.
Then again, with better talent, maybe it would be.
Probably not.
That's the way it is sometimes. That someone is very good, but still flawed and not great.

Well that’s kinda like saying I wish D’Antoni’s defense was more varied, that’s just not really his forte. Thibs offense might be a better with better players but I’m not holding my breath for “more varied”
N Y K
RealGM
And1: 8,451

Post#130 » by N Y K » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:12 pm

I missed this place

KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 14,906

Post#131 » by KnixtapeH20 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:30 pm

Deuce 16 pts, 16 assists last nite... . This dinosaur won't even give him an opportunity bc of those 2 games Randle was out

16 assists.... G league or not
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#132 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:25 pm

Can't wait until Thibs loses the rest of the roster.
That'll be next year.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,653

Post#133 » by prophet_of_rage » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:00 am

A great coach makes bad talent decent. Thibs doesn't put his players in a position to succeed.

The offence lacks movement to get cutters and slashers open. So the defence just loads up on the scorer.

There is a reason Randle and RJ get blocked so much at the rim. It's never clear.

He has no variety in his lineups. We don't have a speed line up, a power lineup, a shooting lineup, etc.

Our OOTs are very pedestrian. Get yhe ball and iso.

We could be five wins better. Each loss tgat was three or four points vould be swung by better coaching.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk
Adelheid
RealGM
And1: 6,816

Post#134 » by Adelheid » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:29 am

theres players' exit interview every end of season
management will hear player feedback about coach
Jimmit79
Head Coach
And1: 5,251

Post#135 » by Jimmit79 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:36 am

This is why I'm not buying the RJ hype trade anyone and everyone on this roster and restart rebuild.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
nyk2017
Pro Prospect
And1: 765

Post#136 » by nyk2017 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:50 am

Sprewell4Three wrote:First of all, the NBA needs to replace Dolan. And bring in actual basketball people. That know and understand the game. Seeing what Memphis is doing just shows you that building through the draft, hiring the right people can do. Knicks right now are trying to re build and try to sign old washed up vets. Can’t do both , it’s either one or the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There has to be multibillionaire in the NYC area who loves the Knicks and is willing to spend $5-6 billion to overpay just to get rid of Dolan.
nyczlegacy
Analyst
And1: 783

Post#137 » by nyczlegacy » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:12 am

N Y K wrote:I missed this place

LMAO
god shammgod wrote:didn't watch a minute. it feels good. might not watch more than a game or two for the rest of the season. there's nothing to see. our best player is a midget g-leaguer.
NowWHYcee7
Bench Warmer
And1: 979

Post#138 » by NowWHYcee7 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:56 pm

I have my issues with him, but no, it's not time for him to go. You let him and go and replace him with who?

The Knicks are a an average team talent wise and their record reflects that. What were you expecting exactly? RJ is still developing and showing signs/growing pains. Randle overachieved last year but he's still not a terrible player like "fans" are making him out to be. He's not Eddy Curry. I'm not opposed to trading him for the right return but I'm not gonna engage in hyperbole either. Rose is hurt and we have no PG.

Last year all of you wanted IQ to be the starting PG and were firm in your convictions that Payton was the source of aaaalllllll our woes (even though we were having a great season, all things considered) Now we see he is NOT a PG and really just a chucker....so basically Thibs was right and you were wrong. The only gripe I have with Thibs right now is that YES, I do think Obi should be getting more minutes. I want to see what we have with him. Maybe Thibs sees something that we don't, but as a fan I do want to see that for myself.

You dudes need to calm down. I know this new sports culture revolves around hot takes, but can reality take the drivers seat for a change? Damn.
delvec19
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,920

Post#139 » by delvec19 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:07 pm

Sorry, last thing this team needs is another coaching change for the 20th time in 2 decades. We never get better because of it and there's frankly no one else out there. This is a flawed roster that played over it's head last year. I hope we ship out some of the vets at the deadline and continue to stockpile assets for the future. We're going to need to land a disgruntled star at some point because the lottery rarely works out for us.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,517

Post#140 » by Chanel Bomber » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:07 pm

Thibs is a competent coach, and he's not responsible for the incompetence of the front office.

This is just not a good roster. But Thibs is not getting the best out of it either.

Thibs is who he is.

An average NBA coach.

A basketball Republican who never adjusts or tries new ideas.

A coach who has a template, and puts players in certain roles within that template regardless of talent or fit.

A coach who has favorites and scapegoats.

A dogmatic mind. A stubborn soul.

He's not the biggest problem right now. But he probably would be if we had a decent roster.

Return to New York Knicks