Re: 76ers Have Increased Asking Price For Ben Simmons In Trade Talks

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

76ers Have Increased Asking Price For Ben Simmons In Trade Talks 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:21 am

Some rival teams have described the asking price of the Philadelphia 76ers for Ben Simmons to be "growing in price -- not declining," according to sources that spoke with Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN.

The 76ers are seeking a top-25 caliber player in a return for Simmons, but offers of that quality have yet to materialize. The 76ers don't appear to be anywhere close to executing a trade of Simmons.

Simmons continues to express an unwillingness to play for the 76ers.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,235

Post#2 » by luciano-davidwesley » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:49 am

This does not make any sense whatsoever. Simmons has severe limitations, a bad contract, a worse attitude and no noticeable improvement in his shooting since he was drafted. He is the epitome of a diva. He's also still refusing to play for the team.

I doubt any other teams are bothered that both Simmons and the Sixers continue to shoot themselves in the foot repeatedly.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,914

Post#3 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:22 am

This is like the guy who has a house on the market for 7 months and can't sell it for $200,000 so he raises his price to $300,000.
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#4 » by red_power » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:46 am

Seems like Ben is going to sit out the rest of his contract with 76ers, not just this season.
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 509

Post#5 » by TheCage4 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:54 pm

IF the Sixers manage to move Ben, the return will be pennies on the dollar. They will continue to posture otherwise, but inevitably they will accept minimal assets just to move on.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
gidget24
Sophomore
And1: 70

Post#6 » by gidget24 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:42 pm

Maybe they are just trying to string this along till the off season and then make a run at Harden as a free agent using the Simmons contract as part of a sign and trade with the Nets.

I mean at that point if you are the Nets and Harden is walking you would then take Simmons and maybe a pick or two back if the alternative is nothing. You would then hope that playing with Kyrie and KD would alleviate the pressure on Simmons similar to Wiggins thriving in GSW. You can then rebuild value and maybe trade him for other assets.

If Harden re-signs or goes some where else you can then look at lowering that value on what you want back for Simmons instead of walking into another year like this.

Maybe I am giving the 76ers to much credit.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,191

Post#7 » by King4Day » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:43 pm

gidget24 wrote:Maybe they are just trying to string this along till the off season and then make a run at Harden as a free agent using the Simmons contract as part of a sign and trade with the Nets.

That's a really good theory.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
Airmax3D
Sophomore
And1: 22

Post#8 » by Airmax3D » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:44 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:This is like the guy who has a house on the market for 7 months and can't sell it for $200,000 so he raises his price to $300,000.

Where do they have $200,000 houses?? Asking for a friend
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,914

Post#9 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:26 pm

Airmax3D wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:This is like the guy who has a house on the market for 7 months and can't sell it for $200,000 so he raises his price to $300,000.

I knew I'd get a response like this. I live in Indianapolis, our cost of living is much lower than most big cities.

Indianapolis and the surrounding area you can get a really nice house for $200-250K, haven't you seen the HGTV show called Good Bones? It's about a mother and daughter team who rehab houses in historic areas of Indianapolis, They make these incredible beautiful homes out of old rundown dumps and sell them for $240-300K. Some sell much higher than that but it depends on the size of the house and the quality of the renovations.
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Re: Re: 76ers Have Increased Asking Price For Ben Simmons In Trade Talks 

Post#10 » by Marty McFly » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:03 pm

Ben, invest whatever bread you have my guy. You're not getting traded.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
Young Moosehead
Veteran
And1: 4,025

Post#11 » by Young Moosehead » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:54 pm

Get in there Morey! Sunk cost fallacy FTW! Keep pushing it until you get nothing!

Signed, everyone in the East.
“It’s like being the ugly step child… I’m 6’9 in my heart.” - FVV
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,667

Post#12 » by rzzzzz » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:16 pm

Increasing the asking price? Sounds like the prologue for a deal. Morey probably looking for something truly multifaceted, to move Harris out as well. I’m still looking at Murray, but would settle for Halliburton, along with all the other sundry pieces.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 7,992

Post#13 » by ontnut » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:32 pm

Just lol.
What if the rest of the NBA GM's just ignore Morey and assume Simmons is a retired player. Then what happens to the asking price?
haha they should all just collectively say we're not trading for Simmons and force the 6ers to either buy him out so everyone has a chance to sign him, or eat that cap for years to come and waste Embiid.
bj2323
Junior
And1: 31

Post#14 » by bj2323 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:34 pm

D'Aron Fox and Bagley for Simmons.

That Sacramento team has had the same result for the last 4 years with the Fox, Hield, and Barnes trio. Why not swing for the fence for someone like Simmons and have him play PF:

Haliburton / Mitchell
Hield
Barnes
Simmons
Holmes
I likes sports
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,200

Post#15 » by J-Mezzy » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:15 pm

The only logical conclusion I can reach is that Morey feels Harden will come and is holding on to Simmons as a trading chip until that time comes.

Nothing else makes sense
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,998

Post#16 » by kalel123 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:17 pm

gidget24 wrote:Maybe they are just trying to string this along till the off season and then make a run at Harden as a free agent using the Simmons contract as part of a sign and trade with the Nets.

I mean at that point if you are the Nets and Harden is walking you would then take Simmons and maybe a pick or two back if the alternative is nothing. You would then hope that playing with Kyrie and KD would alleviate the pressure on Simmons similar to Wiggins thriving in GSW. You can then rebuild value and maybe trade him for other assets.

If Harden re-signs or goes some where else you can then look at lowering that value on what you want back for Simmons instead of walking into another year like this.

Maybe I am giving the 76ers to much credit.

It's plausible that's their thinking. Of course, what's lost in all this is that they would then likely be wasting another year of Embiid's prime that could very well be short lived due to health reasons. Based on history, Morey sounds like the guy who won't give this kind of thing much thought, which could very well bite him in the ass. He's all about numbers and is also acting out of spite.

And of course, suppose Sixers fail in getting Harden. Then what? Offers for Simmons are not going to get any better the longer this drags on. Quite the opposite could be true and they could very well end up having done all this for nothing.
LavieG
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#17 » by LavieG » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:18 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Airmax3D wrote:

I knew I'd get a response like this. I live in Indianapolis, our cost of living is much lower than most big cities.

Indianapolis and the surrounding area you can get a really nice house for $200-250K, haven't you seen the HGTV show called Good Bones? It's about a mother and daughter team who rehab houses in historic areas of Indianapolis, They make these incredible beautiful homes out of old rundown dumps and sell them for $240-300K. Some sell much higher than that but it depends on the size of the house and the quality of the renovations.

Offtopic, but where I'm from you can get a garage with space for two cars. A good house would cost you +1 million, a good (in quality) and good looking, nice house will cost you 2.5 million. (Not US)

They might think about trading his diva mentality to LA in return for the Ice cold player of Lakers last game, Westbrook.
castor777
Senior
And1: 110

Post#18 » by castor777 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:05 pm

LavieG wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
Airmax3D wrote:

Offtopic, but where I'm from you can get a garage with space for two cars. A good house would cost you +1 million, a good (in quality) and good looking, nice house will cost you 2.5 million. (Not US)

They might think about trading his diva mentality to LA in return for the Ice cold player of Lakers last game, Westbrook.

Truly the only "top 25" player I can see them getting right now is Westbrook. He's no longer top 25 by any means, but heading into the trade deadline, he's the only one I can see being moved for whatever the Lakers can get for him. That said, no idea how Simmons helps LAL, especially without playing this season and no signs of him working on his shooting. The defense would be nice, but if you aren't a threat from deep/midrange you're not much use playing with LeBron.

Return to Wiretap Discussion