11%

Total votes: 129

Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,182

Re: Deni Avdija 

Post#1021 » by Zonkerbl » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:12 pm

Deni was playing good defense at the beginning of the year, but lately he's been letting the refs get into his head, and to be honest for fouls that are legit. Don't get angry at genuine fouls, don't get angry at 50/50 calls. Playing defense angry is an excellent way to get a bunch of fouls called on you in a row. Keep your mind in the moment. Be a goldfish.

Actually would like coach wes to call everybody over to the sidelines periodically just to take some deep breaths. Trez needs it, Beal needs it, Kuz needs it - the team needs to be mentally stronger and it's not a difficult fix.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1022 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:32 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:Deni was playing good defense at the beginning of the year, but lately he's been letting the refs get into his head, and to be honest for fouls that are legit. Don't get angry at genuine fouls, don't get angry at 50/50 calls. Playing defense angry is an excellent way to get a bunch of fouls called on you in a row. Keep your mind in the moment. Be a goldfish.

Actually would like coach wes to call everybody over to the sidelines periodically just to take some deep breaths. Trez needs it, Beal needs it, Kuz needs it - the team needs to be mentally stronger and it's not a difficult fix.

Deni's real good at interior defense against players who attack the rim, but farther out on the perimeter, he's giving them more space, and because he always jumps straight up, he's giving shooters space to make jumpers. He's very good against players trying to penetrate. Overall - a fine defender. You're right - the team needs to be mentally stronger re complaining about calls. "Give me the strength to change what I can and accept what I can't change" - by some guy.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1023 » by Zonkerbl » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:39 pm

Early on in the season the team trusted the defensive system, were all invested in moving as a unit, and not getting down when someone on the other team makes a tough shot.

This team had someone score 40 against them and still won. Keep your head in the game at all times. Yes opposing coaches are professional and will scout you out.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1024 » by Zonkerbl » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:52 pm

There's worse situations to be in then "the only way to crack this defense is to get them to foul on the perimeter"
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#1025 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:52 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:Deni was playing good defense at the beginning of the year, but lately he's been letting the refs get into his head, and to be honest for fouls that are legit. Don't get angry at genuine fouls, don't get angry at 50/50 calls. Playing defense angry is an excellent way to get a bunch of fouls called on you in a row. Keep your mind in the moment. Be a goldfish.

This is where you need a player on the court to police the other players in my opinion. Bradley Beal might not be playing due to the protocol but I think as the team’s so called best player, whenever he plays he needs to be a calming force and a leader.

I was kind a hoping Spencer Dinwiddie would fulfill this role. ZTB, really good posts.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1026 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:04 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:Early on in the season the team trusted the defensive system, were all invested in moving as a unit, and not getting down when someone on the other team makes a tough shot.

This team had someone score 40 against them and still won. Keep your head in the game at all times. Yes opposing coaches are professional and will scout you out.

Deni just turned 21 days ago. I am glad he plays with fiery passion and is demonstrative. The teammates might not respond favorably, however, to any perceived disrespect from a peer. What’s utmost is the coach addresses in private any behaviors not conducive to team cohesion.

I’m not even watching except for recaps.

I THINK what’s happening is the inevitable everyone trying to get theirs when minutes are sparse for the number of bodies competing to play. To expend energy on defense and to sacrifice individual stat for team MIGHT BE COUNTERPRODUCTIVE if the goals are ME, MINE, and I instead of us as a team.

As for the big picture I love this team so much more than the past Wizards. I remember when Antawn Jamison and Caron Butler were gonna play 40 minutes and take 1 billion shots, defense be damned. Were they better players? Yes…But at best we maintained mediocrity because it seemed like Brendan Haywood was the only guy that would play defense. And for whatever reason Eddie Jordan really liked Etan Thomas more. That team had a different kind of problem from this one.

This roster hardly has anyone 30 years old. Most of the players are in their prime or are approaching prime. Several of them are just getting started. And yet we’re at least mediocre already. It could be a lot worse
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1027 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:05 pm

Deni is a decent young prospect.
Bye bye Beal.
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,154

Post#1028 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:19 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Zonkerbl wrote:Early on in the season the team trusted the defensive system, were all invested in moving as a unit, and not getting down when someone on the other team makes a tough shot.

Deni just turned 21 days ago. I am glad he plays with fiery passion and is demonstrative. The teammates might not respond favorably, however, to any perceived disrespect from a peer. What’s utmost is the coach addresses in private any behaviors not conducive to team cohesion.

I’m not even watching except for recaps.
[b]
I THINK what’s happening is the inevitable everyone trying to get theirs when minutes are sparse for the number of bodies competing to play. To expend energy on defense and to sacrifice individual stat for team MIGHT BE COUNTERPRODUCTIVE if the goal are ME, MINE, and I instead of us as a team.

As for the big picture I love this team so much more than the past Wizards. I remember when Antawn Jamison and Caron Butler were gonna play 40 minutes and take 1 billion shots, defense be damned. Were they better players? Yes…But at best we maintained mediocrity because it seemed like Brendan Haywood was the only guy that would play defense. And for whatever reason Eddie Jordan really liked Etan Thomas more. That team had a different kind of problem from this one.

This roster hardly has anyone 30 years old. Most of the players are in their prime or are approaching prime. Several of them are just getting started. And yet we’re at least mediocre already. It could be a lot worse

Agreed. It just looked like they just stopped playing for each as a unit after the hot start, and some guys are worried about contracts (Neto, Harrell) or their place in the rotation. The defensive issues are part personnel, but there is a total lack of focus and want in that department.

The backcourt to me stands out in that area. Dinwiddie is painful in terms of awareness and effort. Neto seems like he tries, but he's just physically overmatched constantly from both a height and strength perspective. Holiday has been okay here and there as a pesky defender, but is often over aggressive for the sake of being over aggressive. Beal early on was okay, but he's constantly ball watching, whining to the refs, or plays gimmicky defense instead of smart defense, like the type of defense you see guys get low in their stance, looking aggressive, but not really paying attention to what's really going on, but yeah he stinks. Then we have KCP, who I think certain matchups has been fine, but he has other matchups were he just gets smoked, and he's our best guard defender. Deni is arguably the best backcourt defender though he has struggled a bit lately, albeit I feel like guys lately are just making a lot of tough shots on him.

Side bar. Speaking of Haywood and Etan, I remember the running joke was Brendan Haywood slept with Eddie Jordan's wife because of the flagrant favoritism EJ would give Etan over Haywood despite Haywood playing well.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#1029 » by 80sballboy » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:31 am

I assume this is mostly complete BS, but I would not be shocked about him complaining about playing time to Wes.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
RealGM

Post#1030 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:05 am

He might want to be traded. This organization isn't prominent, However, he could find even less playing time on a better team.
Bye bye Beal.
arusinov
Sophomore
And1: 254

Post#1031 » by arusinov » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:54 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:He might want to be traded. This organization isn't prominent, However, he could find even less playing time on a better team.

If Deni actually wants to be traded at all it would not be about going to more "prominent" organization.

It would be about going to rebuilding team like Orlando or Detroit where player like Saddiq Bey can have a lot games with 10+ shots on below 25% FG%... and at the end score 30 pts like today.

I still hope he will be able to improve on offense and start getting to his potential in Washington though...
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 547

Post#1032 » by daSwami » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:41 pm

All the Deni trade talk on Twitter is making me anxious. He's arguably the best defensive player this franchise has had since Ben Wallace. (Am I forgetting someone?) The onus is on WUJR to find a role for him on offense and I hope he does.
:banghead:
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 882

Post#1033 » by badinage » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:49 pm

daSwami wrote:All the Deni trade talk on Twitter is making me anxious. He's arguably the best defensive player this franchise has had since Ben Wallace. (Am I forgetting someone?) The onus is on WUJR to find a role for him on offense and I hope he does.

Amen.

If they’re stupid enough to let him go, it will haunt this franchise for the next 15 years.

I don’t want to be haunted again.

Ben. C Webb. Sheed. Rip. …

You do not eat your young. You do not eat your young.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,301

Post#1034 » by nate33 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:25 pm

daSwami wrote:All the Deni trade talk on Twitter is making me anxious. He's arguably the best defensive player this franchise has had since Ben Wallace. (Am I forgetting someone?).

Nene
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Post#1035 » by closg00 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:30 pm

daSwami wrote:All the Deni trade talk on Twitter is making me anxious. He's arguably the best defensive player this franchise has had since Ben Wallace. (Am I forgetting someone?) The onus is on WUJR to find a role for him on offense and I hope he does.

I haven't seen anything from anyone reputable, just random Twitter chatter
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,969

Post#1036 » by dckingsfan » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:27 pm

Yeah, when he almost got the DNP - I was thinking a trade was coming the next day...
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,348

Post#1037 » by Kanyewest » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:50 pm

nate33 wrote:
daSwami wrote:All the Deni trade talk on Twitter is making me anxious. He's arguably the best defensive player this franchise has had since Ben Wallace. (Am I forgetting someone?).

Nene

Also Trevor Ariza, Brendan Haywood. Not even sure he's better than KCP/DeShawn Stevenson types yet only because the officials haven't seemed to give Deni a lot of respect yet- although good chance it will happen when he becomes a vet.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#1038 » by 80sballboy » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:26 pm

Charles "CJ" Jones for all you oldsters out there!
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#1039 » by WallToWall » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:03 pm

I do not think that Deni will be traded, unless some return involving other young players are being returned. Shep has already said that he will not mortgage the future for a “win now” strategy. Deni’s potential has yet to be unlocked and realized. I think Shep knows that.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,969

Post#1040 » by dckingsfan » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:53 pm

WallToWall wrote:I do not think that Deni will be traded, unless some return involving other young players are being returned. Shep has already said that he will not mortgage the future for a “win now” strategy. Deni’s potential has yet to be unlocked and realized. I think Shep knows that.

I really hope you are right on that one... And it isn't like he hasn't played this season. It's just... you know... Wizards.

Return to Washington Wizards