R. Westbrook goes 2-14 vs Kings, gets trolled on every miss with "Foreigner - Cold As Ice"

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

ryguy613
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,527

Re: R. Westbrook goes 2-14 vs Kings, gets trolled on every miss with "Foreigner - Cold As Ice" 

Post#21 » by ryguy613 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:00 pm

Maxthirty wrote:
ryguy613 wrote:yeah, you can call me a grumpy old man (Im sure most of you will) but to me this kind of stuff just shows the overall decline of the nba. Professionalism is becoming an endangered creature. Trolling has become pervasive in all aspects of the game, and more and more it is becoming the primary method for communication, whether its in the national media, local broadcasts, arenas, or the players themselves. The NBA is essentially becoming an extension of NBA Twitter instead of NBA Twitter being an extension of the NBA.

I wouldn’t say grumpy, more like hypocritical old man. Teams and their fans have been taunting players since forever. This isn’t even mean spirited.

But please go on telling us how things were so much better in the past.

uh, fans have been doing stupid **** for the entirety of sports. Sports TEAMS (as in the people running organizations) really havent proceeded into anything that would be considered trolling until recently. Playing like "hit the road jack" on the loud speaker when a player fouls out is not the same as having a plyaer for the opposing team named as the player of the game for having a **** night or having your local broadcast put out chyrons like "Ya'll really paid Russ $44M dollars!". All of that **** is the clear personification of Meme Culture in entertainment. And meme culture by definition is mean spirited. Its one of the things that has made social media in general a **** show thats mostly only good for a cheap laugh every now and then (again generally at someone else's expense). So yeah I would definitely consider this **** to be mean spirited. Obviously the NBA agrees with me that this is unprofessional since theyve said it wont be happening again.
Maxthirty
Rookie
And1: 2,595

Re: R. Westbrook goes 2-14 vs Kings, gets trolled on every miss with "Foreigner - Cold As Ice" 

Post#22 » by Maxthirty » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:04 pm

ryguy613 wrote:
Maxthirty wrote:
ryguy613 wrote:yeah, you can call me a grumpy old man (Im sure most of you will) but to me this kind of stuff just shows the overall decline of the nba. Professionalism is becoming an endangered creature. Trolling has become pervasive in all aspects of the game, and more and more it is becoming the primary method for communication, whether its in the national media, local broadcasts, arenas, or the players themselves. The NBA is essentially becoming an extension of NBA Twitter instead of NBA Twitter being an extension of the NBA.

I wouldn’t say grumpy, more like hypocritical old man. Teams and their fans have been taunting players since forever. This isn’t even mean spirited.

uh, fans have been doing stupid **** for the entirety of sports. Sports TEAMS (as in the people running organizations) really havent proceeded into anything that would be considered trolling until recently. Playing like "hit the road jack" on the loud speaker when a player fouls out is not the same as having a plyaer for the opposing team named as the player of the game for having a **** night or having your local broadcast put out chyrons like "Ya'll really paid Russ $44M dollars!". All of that **** is the clear personification of Meme Culture in entertainment. And meme culture by definition is mean spirited. Its one of the things that has made social media in general a **** show thats mostly only good for a cheap laugh every now and then (again generally at someone else's expense). So yeah I would definitely consider this **** to be mean spirited. Obviously the NBA agrees with me that this is unprofessional since theyve said it wont be happening again.

I gotta say, blaming this on “meme culture” is pretty funny. Anything but meme culture! It’ll be the end of us!

Water makes you weak.
ryguy613
Bench Warmer

Re: R. Westbrook goes 2-14 vs Kings, gets trolled on every miss with 

Post#23 » by ryguy613 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:06 pm

Wallace_Wallace wrote:
ryguy613 wrote:
Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:

What?? why would the NBA not allow this to continue?? it's hilarious, it's entertaining, for players it's part of the experience when you play in a hostile arena with opposing fans.... i don't get why they would disallow this

...because it makes the sport look like its run by a bunch of twitter obsessed teenagers instead of... you know... a professional business worth billions of dollars.

Taunting players have been like forever, that's actually one of things that actually had gotten better over the years. Back in the 60s/70s/80s, it was endless racist chants. 90s/00s got a little better until the Pacers/Pistons brawl. This is only a personal attack regarding one's shooting; let's be honest, Westbrook has been shooting like crap all game. Nothing sensitive at all.

What's next, the crowd should be quiet so that a bad free throw shooter can focus better?

yeah, i could be wrong here but I dont believe any nba organization has ever conducted racist chants. lol. you have a hard time separating idiotic fans from the people running the show. thats probably part of the problem with this entire conversation. The line has been blurred too much now imo.
Wallace_Wallace
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,985

Post#24 » by Wallace_Wallace » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:12 pm

ryguy613 wrote:
Wallace_Wallace wrote:
ryguy613 wrote:
...because it makes the sport look like its run by a bunch of twitter obsessed teenagers instead of... you know... a professional business worth billions of dollars.

Taunting players have been like forever, that's actually one of things that actually had gotten better over the years. Back in the 60s/70s/80s, it was endless racist chants. 90s/00s got a little better until the Pacers/Pistons brawl. This is only a personal attack regarding one's shooting; let's be honest, Westbrook has been shooting like crap all game. Nothing sensitive at all.

What's next, the crowd should be quiet so that a bad free throw shooter can focus better?

yeah, i could be wrong here but I dont believe any nba organization has ever conducted racist chants. lol. you have a hard time separating idiotic fans from the people running the show. thats probably part of the problem with this entire conversation. The line has been blurred too much now imo.

I could only imagine the amount of hateful treatment someone like Bill Russell or Wilt Chamberlain has received in the 60s/70s
Heck, just 20 years ago, the Miami Heat fans waived fortune cookies at Yao Ming. He might not have understood it, but it's f'ed up.

Those are out of line. Can't say anything racial, can't say anything regarding anyone's family. This was particularly towards Westbrook's shooting; it's justified because he's been shooting the ball rather horribly.
ryguy613
Bench Warmer

Post#25 » by ryguy613 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:13 pm

Maxthirty wrote:
ryguy613 wrote:
Maxthirty wrote:

I gotta say, blaming this on “meme culture” is pretty funny. Anything but meme culture! It’ll be the end of us!

Well I dont think I said it will be the end of us all, though twitter has most definitely dumbed down our over all level of discourse. Im sure as the child you surely are, doing anything for a cheap laugh is the paramount. Thats fine. Do you. I just prefer that adults run the sport behind the scenes. Maybe when you get to adulthood youll agree as well. Only time will tell.
ryguy613
Bench Warmer

Post#26 » by ryguy613 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:16 pm

Wallace_Wallace wrote:
ryguy613 wrote:
Wallace_Wallace wrote:

I could only imagine the amount of hateful treatment someone like Bill Russell or Wilt Chamberlain has received in the 60s/70s
Heck, just 20 years ago, the Miami Heat fans waived fortune cookies at Yao Ming. He might not have understood it, but it's f'ed up.

Those are out of line. Can't say anything racial, can't say anything regarding anyone's family. This was particularly towards Westbrook's shooting; it's justified because he's been shooting the ball rather horribly.

I think we're talking past each other here. FANS have done that kind of **** forever. I dont believe a TEAM has ever participated in it. Or do you have an example where an arena put up images of fortune cookies on the big screen when Yao was playing? Im trying to make a distinction between fans and professionals who run the viewing experience.
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,265

Post#27 » by John Murdoch » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:21 pm

Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think WB is using the "ballhog gloves" in games
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Post#28 » by BallerTalk » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:24 pm

This may be another case of The good old days that never were.
What you decry as "trolling" has always been around, you just called it by other names (ribbing, razzing, heckling, etc). Teams have long poked playful fun at opponents with sound effects, comical images on the big screen, mascot mockery and such.
I don't see this as much different.
You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-
Maxthirty
Rookie
And1: 2,595

Post#29 » by Maxthirty » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:24 pm

ryguy613 wrote:
Maxthirty wrote:
ryguy613 wrote:

Well I dont think I said it will be the end of us all, though twitter has most definitely dumbed down our over all level of discourse. Im sure as the child you surely are, doing anything for a cheap laugh is the paramount. Thats fine. Do you. I just prefer that adults run the sport behind the scenes. Maybe when you get to adulthood youll agree as well. Only time will tell.

Lol
Water makes you weak.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,719

Post#30 » by Jadoogar » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:28 pm

This is funny but wrong messenger. Kings haven't made the playoffs for 15 years, they shouldn't be trash talking anyone.
Wallace_Wallace
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,985

Post#31 » by Wallace_Wallace » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:30 pm

ryguy613 wrote:
Wallace_Wallace wrote:
ryguy613 wrote:

I think we're talking past each other here. FANS have done that kind of **** forever. I dont believe a TEAM has ever participated in it. Or do you have an example where an arena put up images of fortune cookies on the big screen when Yao was playing? Im trying to make a distinction between fans and professionals who run the viewing experience.

Aw got it, I know what you meant (my bad).

My example, the Miami Heat (the team) promoted the game by passing out 8,000 fortune cookies. That would be out of line for the organization.

I still believe targeting a player's shooting performance by the PA announcer (or whoever is working the screen) is not out of line. It's just a way to pump up the fans. There were plenty of chants to pump up the crowd; Pistons' announcer used chant "Out of bounds, Detroit basketball" in a key turnover, or Lakers' announcer plays "Move bitch, get out the way" whenever their opponent's shot is blocked. I suppose we could have two difference opinions on this topic.
ryguy613
Bench Warmer

Post#32 » by ryguy613 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:36 pm

BallerTalk wrote:

This may be another case of The good old days that never were.
What you decry as "trolling" has always been around, you just called it by other names (ribbing, razzing, heckling, etc). Teams have long poked playful fun at opponents with sound effects, comical images on the big screen, mascot mockery and such.
I don't see this as much different.

I dont necessarily think this particular case is the worst of it, and if it was just an isolated incident I would likely just roll my eyes and chuckle like most are doing. but I see more of a pattern with the overall presentation of the nba, that this is only a small part of. thats the point im trying to make. Its become a whole lot more "Skip Bayless-ish" in general across all mediums. Much more emphasis on "owning" someone than on celebrating your own stuff, and again, much less professional overall.
ryguy613
Bench Warmer

Post#33 » by ryguy613 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:37 pm

Wallace_Wallace wrote:
ryguy613 wrote:
Wallace_Wallace wrote:

My example, the Miami Heat (the team) promoted the game by passing out 8,000 fortune cookies. That would be out of line for the organization.

I still believe targeting a player's shooting performance by the PA announcer (or whoever is working the screen) is not out of line. It's just a way to pump up the fans. There were plenty of chants to pump up the crowd; Pistons' announcer used chant "Out of bounds, Detroit basketball" in a key turnover, or Lakers' announcer plays "Move bitch, get out the way" whenever their opponent's shot is blocked. I suppose we could have two difference opinions on this topic.

Woooooow. That is beyond **** up, and the Miami Heat as an organization should be ashamed of themselves for that. That is truly disgusting.
Grumpy Heat Fan
General Manager
And1: 8,305

Post#34 » by Grumpy Heat Fan » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:51 pm

ryguy613 wrote:
Wallace_Wallace wrote:
ryguy613 wrote:

Woooooow. That is beyond **** up, and the Miami Heat as an organization should be ashamed of themselves for that. That is truly disgusting.

how is that messed up?
that's like if americans play the Toronto Raptors, and they pass out mcdonalds to everyone. who cares? whats the offense here

"here's a symbol of american food, haha, because you're american!"

i don't see the offense. omgawd they passed out mcdonalds burgers!! lol at the fake outrage over nothing

(yes im aware fortune cookies were invented by chinese americans, and not in china)
"As for me personally, I don't truly care how much I make these days, my main focus is on playing for a winner." - Dirk Nowitzki, July 2016
Bornstellar
Head Coach
And1: 17,295

Post#35 » by Bornstellar » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:00 pm

People are really mad about this? :lol: It was pretty funny. Westbrook's always in his feelings
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,374

Post#36 » by Raps in 4 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:04 pm

Commentator: "That's the guy you want shooting"

Sure, if you're the opposing team.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#37 » by celticfan42487 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:06 pm

RIPskaterdude wrote:Boooooo

Read on Twitter

NBA: * FUN DETECTED *

MUST DESTROY

phew good. Can't have any personality, someone might get offended!
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,582

Post#39 » by Syd-TK3 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:14 pm

RIPskaterdude wrote:Boooooo

Read on Twitter

Wow the league is so soft let people have their fun smh
theoilslick
Senior
And1: 266

Post#40 » by theoilslick » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:27 pm

Trolling is “the act of leaving an insulting message on the internet in order to annoy someone”.

It’s not the same as your opposing team’s PA teasing one of your players for their erroneous choices. That is the nature of competitive sports.

Of the top 50 active players in points scored, Westbrook is the 2nd worst in eFG% and TS%. John Wall is the worst for those. Being a former MVP make you a life-time magnet of attention and scrutiny.

At least he doesn’t take the insults too seriously like some of his stans do.
Charlie Kelly: “I eat stickers all the time, dude!” IASiP

Return to The General Board