Norm Powell to NOP for TPE + ____? pick(s)

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

MKWB
Sixth Man
And1: 627

Norm Powell to NOP for TPE + ____? pick(s) 

Post#1 » by MKWB » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:56 am

Pels and Blazers are trending in different directions now. Blazers looking like a lost/tanking season with both Dame and CJ missing extended time, and Pels clicking at the right time for a strong push at the play-in/ late playoff seeding, even without Zion who might even return after the all-star break.

Pelicans have the $17 + mil. TPE from the Adams trade, so they can absorb Powell's 5(!) year acending contract straight up.
Would Blazers want to hit the reset button on high-level role player Norm's long contract? They duck the tax, create more playing time for their young players, and can add some draft pick(s) in the trade.

So---- What draft pick or collection of picks, would it take for POR to dump Powell to the Pels for a TPE? Future top-10 protected Pels' pick? Future Lakers pick?

Other options would be Satoransky's expiring + ________ ,
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Re: Norm Powell to NOP for TPE + ____? pick(s) 

Post#2 » by babyjax13 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:04 am

Probably a good call for a team that might look to move a lottery pick for a player. I don't think this is the direction NOP should move in, but their own pick 1-12 protected for a few years sounds reasonable.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,714

Post#3 » by Ell Curry » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:06 am

Jaxson Hayes and a highly protected 1st might suit Portland. Nurkic a free agent and they stay under the tax.
Where's the D?
MKWB
Sixth Man

Post#4 » by MKWB » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:18 am

babyjax13 wrote:Probably a good call for a team that might look to move a lottery pick for a player. I don't think this is the direction NOP should move in, but their own pick 1-12 protected for a few years sounds reasonable.

Yea, I know accepting this Zion-less season as lost and semi-tanking seems like the more objectively logical route to take. But man, watching this team click lately with BI playing like a superstar is too fun! May be best to ride out the season with this core of vets and young player mix, but if anything, I see them adding a key player rather than trading one away this deadline.
MKWB
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by MKWB » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:20 am

Ell Curry wrote:Jaxson Hayes and a highly protected 1st might suit Portland. Nurkic a free agent and they stay under the tax.

That seems pretty reasonable. Assuming you're adding Sato in there for salary matching. But the homer in me is seeing Hayes really turn the lights on lately playing within himself, and would hate to give up on that potential after waiting so long on his development.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,440

Post#6 » by Myth » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:23 am

I really don't think Portland will be looking to trade Powell. We are tanking the season, but the direction the team seems to indicate is that they are hoping to obtain a pick and bounce back next season with a healthy Lillard with hopes of being competitive. Portland needs to make decisions regarding Nurkic, Covington, CJ McCollom, and Simons this summer, but Powell is a rare person who fits next to Lillard that is locked into a reasonable multiple year contract. I only see them moving him for an upgrade or if the draft hands us a stud at SG.
MKWB
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by MKWB » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:24 am

Myth wrote:I really don't think Portland will be looking to trade Powell. We are tanking the season, but the direction the team seems to indicate is that they are hoping to obtain a pick and bounce back next season with a healthy Lillard with hopes of being competitive. Portland needs to make decisions regarding Nurkic, Covington, CJ McCollom, and Simons this summer, but Powell is a rare person who fits next to Lillard that is locked into a reasonable multiple year contract. I only see them moving him for an upgrade or if the draft hands us a stud at SG.

True that, totally makes sense. He's a good, solid player that fits seamlessly. We shall see what happens.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,787

Post#8 » by Colbinii » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:25 am

So long as Lillard is on the roster, the team is likely to keep Powell unless traded for an equally talented player who is a wing.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
tacos
Senior
And1: 384

Post#9 » by tacos » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:18 am

Myth wrote:I really don't think Portland will be looking to trade Powell. We are tanking the season, but the direction the team seems to indicate is that they are hoping to obtain a pick and bounce back next season with a healthy Lillard with hopes of being competitive. Portland needs to make decisions regarding Nurkic, Covington, CJ McCollom, and Simons this summer, but Powell is a rare person who fits next to Lillard that is locked into a reasonable multiple year contract. I only see them moving him for an upgrade or if the draft hands us a stud at SG.

Exactly this
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#10 » by Whole Truth » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:25 am

babyjax13 wrote:Probably a good call for a team that might look to move a lottery pick for a player. I don't think this is the direction NOP should move in, but their own pick 1-12 protected for a few years sounds reasonable.

Agree with you, I like Powell too but think he's not the right target for NO's. They need to improve their defense & playmaking.

What I would do however is use that TPE for Powell & flip either him or Graham with additional value to Philly for SImmons.

Portland trade - (Powell) for (17m TE, pick)

Philly trade - (Simmons) for (Powell, Naw, Jax, Saro, pick/s)

NO's trade - (17m TE, Naw, Jax, Sato pick/s) for (Simmons)
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#11 » by MasterIchiro » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:42 am

Hornets own the Pelicams 2022 1st round draft pick from the Devonte' Graham trade. It's lottery protected so we are 100% behind anything that increases the Pelicans hopes of reaching the playoffs. Even buzzing around the play-in slot adds value to the pick. It's a bit of a long shot but could be pick 15.

Hornets would be interested in Nurkic here as a rental.
It has been written...
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#12 » by Resistance » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:14 pm

Whole Truth wrote:

Agree with you, I like Powell too but think he's not the right target for NO's. They need to improve their defense & playmaking.

What I would do however is use that TPE for Powell & flip either him or Graham with additional value to Philly for SImmons.

You are aggregating/combining the TPE with salary to trade for Simmons?
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#13 » by Whole Truth » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:59 pm

Resistance wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

Yes
expatbayern
Senior
And1: 213

Post#14 » by expatbayern » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:30 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
Resistance wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

Yes

Doesn't work. You can absorb a guy up to the size of the TPE (like Powell) but only if you're actually receiving him. In a 3 way deal where you're getting Simmons, he'd be the one who has to fit into the TPE.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#15 » by Whole Truth » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:23 pm

expatbayern wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
Resistance wrote:

Yes

Doesn't work. You can absorb a guy up to the size of the TPE (like Powell) but only if you're actually receiving him. In a 3 way deal where you're getting Simmons, he'd be the one who has to fit into the TPE.

A way around that, NO's take a bad contract back in combination with Powell reduce his value. Does Portland have a contract in the 10-17m range they would like to dump ?

Portland trade - (Powell, Covington, Nance) for (Harris, NO's pick/s)

Philly trade - (Simmons, Harris) for (Graham, Covington 14m 1yr, Sato 11m 1y, 17m TE, Jax, Naw, NO's pick/s)

NO's trade - (Graham. Sato, Jax, Naw 17m TE, NO's pick/s) for (Simmons, 10-17m bad contract)

- The vet Covington is expiring in a lost season for Portland returns to Philly to contend as expiring value for Harris.
- Harris is overpaid but he's a good player, Portland turn Norm & an expiring vet into Harris in order to net pick compensation from NO's, get 4yrs control on a overpaid but good player where Covington is set to walk.
- Phiily use Simmons value to dump somwhere around 140m in total salary. Net a shooting PG in Graham, depth at PF with Nance, a young talented C to backup Embiid moving forward, 25m in expiring value, along with pick compensation.
- N0's use their TE & pick cache to consolidate loose pieces into a better player that address their lack of defense, playmaking & versatility, help Philly dump their 36m max contact on a non max player with 4yrs remaining on it to reduce Simmons overall cost.
MKWB
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by MKWB » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:23 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
expatbayern wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
Yes

A way around that, NO's take a bad contract back in combination with Powell reduce his value. Does Portland have a contract in the 10-17m range they would like to dump ?

Philly trade - (Simmons, Harris) for (Graham, Covington 14m 1yr, Sato 11m 1y, 17m TE, Jax, Naw, NO's pick/s)

NO's trade - (Graham. Sato, Jax, Naw 17m TE, NO's pick/s) for (Simmons, 10-17m bad contract)

- The vet Covington is expiring in a lost season for Portland returns to Philly to contend as expiring value for Harris.
- Harris is overpaid but he's a good player, Portland turn Norm & an expiring vet into Harris in order to net pick compensation from NO's, get 4yrs control on a overpaid but good player where Covington is set to walk.
- Phiily use Simmons value to dump somwhere around 140m in total salary. Net a shooting PG in Graham, depth at PF with Nance, a young talented C to backup Embiid moving forward, 25m in expiring value, along with pick compensation.
- N0's use their TE & pick cache to consolidate loose pieces into a better player that address their lack of defense, playmaking & versatility, help Philly dump their 36m max contact on a non max player with 4yrs remaining on it to reduce Simmons overall cost.

That's confusing the way you formatted that, but I get what you're aiming for with legally using the TPE.

Still, as has been covered a few times on other BS to NOP threads, that's a big nope. Rich Paul agented disgruntled star who quits on his team-- Griffin and Pels franchise wants no part of that again, especially for a complete non-shooter on a big contract.
Herb Jones and Hart have elevated their defense to a much higher level, and they can actually shoot. The only real position of need for the Pels is PG upgrade and a healthy Zion upgrade.
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#17 » by Resistance » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:19 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
expatbayern wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
Yes

I thought that we already covered this a few days ago...

LAC may actually want Tobias Harris

Resistance wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:Revamping the trade using the last report I posted above.

Part 1 of the trade -

Philly trade - (Harris 36m) to Clippres for (Bledsoe 18m, Ibaka 9.7m expiring, NO;s 10m TE)

Clippers trade (Bledsoe, Morris, Ibaka) for (Harris, NO's pick ?)

NO's trade - (17m TE, pick ?) for (Morris 3yrs 15m)

Part 2 of the trade -

Philly trade - (Simmons 33m) to NO's for (Morris, Satoranski 11m expiring, Jaxson Hayes, pick/s ?)

NO's trade - ( Morris 15m, Satoranski 11m, Jaxson Hayes 6.5m, pick/s) 32m total for (Simmons 33m)

The trade deadline is roughly a month away and I don't think that New Orleans will be able to accomplish all of that by then.

101. When can't a player be traded? Can players be given "no-trade" clauses in their contracts?

In addition, teams cannot trade players under the following circumstances:

* For two months after receiving the player in trade, if the trade aggregates the player's salary with the salaries of other players. However, the team is free to trade the player immediately, either by himself or without aggregating his salary with other salaries. This restriction applies only to players who were acquired using an exception (and not cap room). (Also see question number 90.)

* When the trade deadline has passed. Teams are free to make trades again once their season has ended4, but cannot trade players whose contracts are ending or could end due to an option or ETO.

* For three months or until December 15 of that season (whichever is later) after signing a contract as a free agent or matching an offer sheet to a restricted free agent. This obviously does not apply to the trade completing a sign-and-trade transaction (see question number 92).

* For three months or until December 15 of that season (whichever is later) after converting a Two-Way contract to a standard contract (see question number 83), with the three months beginning on the date the contract is converted.

* For three months or until January 15 of that season (whichever is later) after re-signing a free agent with Larry Bird or Early Bird rights, if the team is over the cap, the player's new salary is above the minimum, and he receives a raise greater than 20%.

* For 30 days after signing as a draft pick. This applies even for later-signed first round picks, who are signed using cap room at least three seasons after they are drafted (see question number 49).

* For 30 days after signing a Two-Way contract (see question number 82).

* For one year after signing a player to a Designated Veteran contract or extension (see question number 24).

* For six months after signing a player to an extension that is over the limit (in terms of years, salary or raises) for an extend-and-trade transaction5 (see question number 95).

* After claiming a player on waivers, for 30 days if the player was claimed during the season. If the player was claimed during the offseason, he cannot be traded until the 30th day of the following season.

* A team cannot reacquire a player it traded away during the same season (a season for this purpose being defined as starting on the first day of the regular season and ending on the last day of the Finals). If the player was traded between seasons (i.e., from the first day after the Finals to the last day prior to the start of the next regular season), it cannot reacquire the player prior to the end of the next season. If he is waived by his new team, then he cannot re-sign with his original team until the one-year anniversary of the trade, or until the July 1 following the end of his contract, whichever comes first6. However, if a team trades a player's draft rights, it can reacquire the player during the same season.

* A team cannot acquire players during a season when they do not have room on their 15-man roster, even if they intend to waive an incoming player immediately. For example, a team with 14 players cannot trade one player for three, while simultaneously waiving an incoming player to remain at 15 players7.

Since things have evolved with the Clippers, they might be going in a different direction than this type of trade.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,440

Post#18 » by Myth » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:21 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
expatbayern wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
Yes

You better be talking about a whole bunch of picks going to Portland, because Portland does not swap Powell for Harris without probably 2 1st round picks minimum, and then you are adding in Covington plus Nance which would require additional compensation.
lordjeff05
Veteran
And1: 766

Post#19 » by lordjeff05 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:39 pm

My struggle with this is given that you have Anfernee Simons balling, wouldnt the preference be to give him Powell's minutes long term? Even in a win now environment, you use the trade exception and a pick to get another wing. Even without a stud SG in the draft you have two stud SGs already, not counting Powell.
b33nine
Senior
And1: 92

Post#20 » by b33nine » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:09 pm

lordjeff05 wrote:

My struggle with this is given that you have Anfernee Simons balling, wouldnt the preference be to give him Powell's minutes long term? Even in a win now environment, you use the trade exception and a pick to get another wing. Even without a stud SG in the draft you have two stud SGs already, not counting Powell.

I don't think I recall a situation where a trade exception has ever been packaged with a draft pick to return a really good player. Teams want to be able to tell their fan bases that they should be excited about something, and that's a tough sell when you receive a trade exception back instead of a promising player.

Also, doesn't an exception limit what you can receive back in that you can't package it with another player for salary purposes?

Return to Trades and Transactions