Caris LeVert to Orlando

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,547

Caris LeVert to Orlando 

Post#1 » by NYG » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:55 am

Caris LeVert and Jeremy Lamb for Terrance Ross and Gary Harris

The Magic get a player more in line with their roster's timeline and the talent on the court is about even.

The Pacers get some adults in the room to make their win now talent work together better on the court and in the locker room.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,899

Re: Caris LeVert to Orlando 

Post#2 » by K_chile22 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:59 am

LeVert is 27, don't see why Orlando wants all that salary

Reasons for both teams are age related but Harris and LeVert are almost exactly the same age, as are Ross and Lamb
Edit: for some reason I thought Ross was expiring, so it's not that much salary, still don't think it makes sense directionally for Orlando, or Indy really
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,346

Post#3 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:02 am

I don't think LeVert is good, but I don't understand how swapping him for Ross achieves anything either. And the expiring guys are whatever here.

I think both teams should be trying to simply get off their guy, though I get for Indy they seem him as the guy they swapped Dipo for and if Fisher is to believed they have a silly asking price atm for him. And tbf the Pacers probably could get an expiring and minor asset for him. Teams will talk themselves into wings with some shot creation ability even if there doesn't appear to be any positive team value to what he does.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
DSN1423
Sophomore
And1: 66

Post#4 » by DSN1423 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:38 am

I think the deal for Orlando would be Harris for Lavert plus something (a pick? or a prospect).

IND get 20 mil off the books. Orl get a pick or prospect with Lavert. Lavert has a skillset needed by Orl to compliment the plethora of good solid role players, which is shot creation and lead scoring guard skills (even if he isn't all that efficient).

Ross can be moved in a separate deal that is a straight dump of salary.

In short Orlando would only take on salary for extra picks or prospects and IND try free up money ASAP for next year's retooling.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,914

Post#5 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:52 am

Gary Harris used to be good looking young player, that was then...

Now he's expiring and a shadow of the player he was once.
youOK
Pro Prospect
And1: 569

Post#6 » by youOK » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:04 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:Gary Harris used to be good looking young player, that was then...

I don't think Levert is much more than an expiring and a small asset. It's not a terrible trade if you think you could send Ross elsewhere for some small value.
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,652

Post#7 » by orlando_joe » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:53 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:Gary Harris used to be good looking young player, that was then...

magic wont do this..but as far as harris you might want to go look at his dec and jan splits his numbers as good as ever he looks healthy
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,080

Post#8 » by tiderulz » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:16 am

DSN1423 wrote:I think the deal for Orlando would be Harris for Lavert plus something (a pick? or a prospect).

IND get 20 mil off the books. Orl get a pick or prospect with Lavert. Lavert has a skillset needed by Orl to compliment the plethora of good solid role players, which is shot creation and lead scoring guard skills (even if he isn't all that efficient).

In short Orlando would only take on salary for extra picks or prospects and IND try free up money ASAP for next year's retooling.

what is the skillset? it isnt shooting, he isnt that good an outside shooter. And that is what Orlando really needs.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#9 » by tiderulz » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:17 am

orlando_joe wrote:

magic wont do this..but as far as harris you might want to go look at his dec and jan splits his numbers as good as ever he looks healthy

new contract mirage
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by orlando_joe » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:21 am

tiderulz wrote:
orlando_joe wrote:

new contract mirage

so you think he was just being lazy ? ok could be? but if trading for this year is that not a good thing?
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#11 » by tiderulz » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:24 am

orlando_joe wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
orlando_joe wrote:magic wont do this..but as far as harris you might want to go look at his dec and jan splits his numbers as good as ever he looks healthy

new contract mirage

so you think he was just being lazy ? ok could be? but if trading for this year is that not a good thing?

prospective buyers will look at his past years and are not going to give up very much for him, as he is expiring.
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by orlando_joe » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:34 am

tiderulz wrote:
orlando_joe wrote:
tiderulz wrote:new contract mirage

prospective buyers will look at his past years and are not going to give up very much for him, as he is expiring.

i dont expect anything at all ..would not do this trade because would rather have ross at 11 next yr then levert at 18..was just saying harris has shown he can play last 20 games his numbers as good in that time as he almost ever put up
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#13 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:49 am

orlando_joe wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
orlando_joe wrote:magic wont do this..but as far as harris you might want to go look at his dec and jan splits his numbers as good as ever he looks healthy

new contract mirage

He's had injury problems his whole career in the NBA. Great that he's doing better and let's hope he can stay healthy.
DSN1423
Sophomore
And1: 66

Post#14 » by DSN1423 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:43 am

tiderulz wrote:
DSN1423 wrote:I think the deal for Orlando would be Harris for Lavert plus something (a pick? or a prospect).

what is the skillset? it isnt shooting, he isnt that good an outside shooter. And that is what Orlando really needs.

You didnt read the rest of the sentence after the part you underlined?
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#15 » by tiderulz » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:39 am

DSN1423 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

You didnt read the rest of the sentence after the part you underlined?

we have Cole Anthony doing that already, at a much cheaper price.
Adrian Street
Rookie
And1: 319

Post#16 » by Adrian Street » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:59 am

orlando_joe wrote:

Go look at the stats for Caris LeVert since November.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#17 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:25 pm

Adrian Street wrote:
orlando_joe wrote:

Go look at the stats for Caris LeVert since November.

I think the problem we're having finding a taker for LeVert is his next year salary. He puts up numbers but still misses games and I don't think he help you win.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,987

Post#18 » by Wizop » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:50 pm

I'm on team trade LeVert but we need a PG back unless the plan is to start Lance.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,579

Post#19 » by pacers33granger » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:43 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:I don't think LeVert is good, but I don't understand how swapping him for Ross achieves anything either. And the expiring guys are whatever here.

I think both teams should be trying to simply get off their guy, though I get for Indy they seem him as the guy they swapped Dipo for and if Fisher is to believed they have a silly asking price atm for him. And tbf the Pacers probably could get an expiring and minor asset for him. Teams will talk themselves into wings with some shot creation ability even if there doesn't appear to be any positive team value to what he does.

Some seem to believe that LeVert's issues are due to health and having to do too much on most teams he's been on. There's arguments there. He has some interesting qualities that could become something really good and there are flashes. However, the reality is that his game right now is only effective as a lead guard and he's not good enough for that role. We still lost a ton of games with Sykes and Washington Jr. as the starting backcourt, but those losses felt better. We looked like a better team with two role players. LeVert will likely also have nagging injuries every year and miss chunks of games.

I'd probably do the trade in the OP. Very doubtful Indy does though based on how they view LeVert. Maybe management realizes though that Lance does about 80% of what LeVert does for us, but is a better defender and passer, while also being boat loads cheaper.

Return to Trades and Transactions