Re: John Wall Has Shown 'Zero Inclination' For Buyout With Rockets

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

John Wall Has Shown 'Zero Inclination' For Buyout With Rockets 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:14 pm

John Wall has expressed "zero inclination to accept any type of buyout" with the Houston Rockets, sources told Jake Fischer of Bleacher Report.

Wall has $91.7 million remaining on his contract through next season.

The Rockets are committed to playing their young players this season, which has left Wall without a role as he remains in contract limbo.

Via Jake Fischer/Bleacher Report

Richard Miller
Veteran
And1: 2,883

Post#2 » by Richard Miller » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:27 pm

No s**t
SirClutchKing
Freshman
And1: 25

Post#3 » by SirClutchKing » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:34 pm

Texas no state income tax $$$
Yes Sir
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,184

Post#4 » by kenwood3333 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:54 pm

Committed to playing younger players, yet 33 year old Eric Gordon is avging 30mpg, vs 31 year John Wall sitting on the bench collecting 44M this season.
gidget24
Sophomore
And1: 70

Post#5 » by gidget24 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:59 pm

Well would you take a buyout knowing that the league probably values you $35 million less than what you are set to be paid next year. He has seen the 10 days that Cousins has been getting and we all know how Isaiah Thomas has been treated and even what is happening with Kemba Walker.

His best play is to collect half of next years salary and take a buyout at the trade deadline and sign with a competitor for minimum. At $47M there won't be many contracts from contenders for Houston to match up in trade.

League needs to enable teams to retain salary in trades, so Houston can retain X amount say $27M and take the cap hit for that in order to be able to match a $20M in contracts instead of a $47M in contracts in a trade and get something back in return instead of only having a buyout as a realistic option.
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Post#6 » by BigHustle » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:46 pm

Wall and Simmons going to start their own union.
PerfectJab
Veteran
And1: 1,349

Post#7 » by PerfectJab » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:33 pm

This was obviously leaked by the FO in order to put pressure on Wall. Good on Wall for not giving into it.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,725

Post#8 » by HotelVitale » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:37 pm

gidget24 wrote:Well would you take a buyout knowing that the league probably values you $35 million less than what you are set to be paid next year. He has seen the 10 days that Cousins has been getting and we all know how Isaiah Thomas has been treated and even what is happening with Kemba Walker. His best play is to collect half of next years salary and take a buyout at the trade deadline and sign with a competitor for minimum. At $47M there won't be many contracts from contenders for Houston to match up in trade. League needs to enable teams to retain salary in trades, so Houston can retain X amount say $27M and take the cap hit for that in order to be able to match a $20M in contracts instead of a $47M in contracts in a trade and get something back in return instead of only having a buyout as a realistic option.

His buyout would still pay him well more than half of a season. Buyouts often shave off like $5-10m total off a max contract for a year or two. It generally has to be enough money to make it worth the team's while but there's also no reason a player is going to bother with that if it's going to cost them a huge chunk of their contract.

Also not sure why the league has to change anything, both Wall and the Rockets knew what they were getting into and are fine with it. The Rockets got a first rounder and got off of Westbrook in exchange for paying Wall to do nothing as the team rebuilds. Wall gets to keep his money, until (or if) he decides he'd rather give some back in exchange for being a free agent. I get that it's a little annoying that a decent player isn't playing because of a contract situation, but I don't think the CBA needs to prioritize accommodating the whims of guys making almost $50m a year.
niha17
Rookie
And1: 68

Post#9 » by niha17 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:21 pm

why would he take a buyout. Hes never going to get a deal again. if hes lucky he'll get a min deal
njknicks
Pro Prospect
And1: 112

Post#10 » by njknicks » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:20 pm

Likely John Wall will likely take a "buyout" next season.

Zero chance of him forfeiting a portion of his $40+m annual salary ( especially given his age, injury history ).

The buyout will likely consist of spreading his next years salary ($47m) over 6 seasons ( $6.7m / 6 season ).

He will then sign a contract next season with any team of choice.

If his agent advises him otherwise, time to change agents.
BigTex
Senior
And1: 79

Post#11 » by BigTex » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:28 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
gidget24 wrote:Well would you take a buyout knowing that the league probably values you $35 million less than what you are set to be paid next year. He has seen the 10 days that Cousins has been getting and we all know how Isaiah Thomas has been treated and even what is happening with Kemba Walker. His best play is to collect half of next years salary and take a buyout at the trade deadline and sign with a competitor for minimum. At $47M there won't be many contracts from contenders for Houston to match up in trade. League needs to enable teams to retain salary in trades, so Houston can retain X amount say $27M and take the cap hit for that in order to be able to match a $20M in contracts instead of a $47M in contracts in a trade and get something back in return instead of only having a buyout as a realistic option.

His buyout would still pay him well more than half of a season. Buyouts often shave off like $5-10m total off a max contract for a year or two. It generally has to be enough money to make it worth the team's while but there's also no reason a player is going to bother with that if it's going to cost them a huge chunk of their contract.

Also not sure why the league has to change anything, both Wall and the Rockets knew what they were getting into and are fine with it. The Rockets got a first rounder and got off of Westbrook in exchange for paying Wall to do nothing as the team rebuilds. Wall gets to keep his money, until (or if) he decides he'd rather give some back in exchange for being a free agent. I get that it's a little annoying that a decent player isn't playing because of a contract situation, but I don't think the CBA needs to prioritize accommodating the whims of guys making almost $50m a year.

It's an easy formula. You take the buyout if, and only if, the buyout is greater than (or equal to if he wants to play elsehwere) the value of the contract minus the salary that he could sign for elsewhere (likely the league minimum or one year), plus the increase in present value that Wall could get obtaining the lump sum now, versus getting it over the two year period of the contract.

And to hell with spreading my buyout over six seasons, unless you'll pay interest at a market rate on the money you're deferring. With a guarantee from a financially sound third part to eliminate my credit risk.

Sure, I'll take a buyout, but I'll only give you a discount of about $1-2 million. And if Houston doesn't like it, tough. I'll sit here and collect my check. I'll get healthy. And maybe I"ll play in 2024 or not. Like teams say all the time, this is a business.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,197

Post#12 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:26 pm

njknicks wrote:Likely John Wall will likely take a "buyout" next season.

Zero chance of him forfeiting a portion of his $40+m annual salary ( especially given his age, injury history ).

The buyout will likely consist of spreading his next years salary ($47m) over 6 seasons ( $6.7m / 6 season ).

A waive and stretch would be (years remaining x 2 + 1) so 5 years if they stretched him this season and 3 if they stretched him next season. I don't believe that is an option if they buy him out. If they buy him out they pay him a lump sum to agree to void the contract.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#13 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:04 pm

BigHustle wrote:Wall and Simmons going to start their own union.

Or their own COD squad.
njknicks
Pro Prospect
And1: 112

Post#14 » by njknicks » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:23 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:

A waive and stretch would be (years remaining x 2 + 1) so 5 years if they stretched him this season and 3 if they stretched him next season. I don't believe that is an option if they buy him out. If they buy him out they pay him a lump sum to agree to void the contract.

Seen a few players with some nuance of this type of provision, ironically all on the Knicks - Joakim Noah being the one that comes to mind. Will be intriguing to see what direction Wall / agent goes -- likely in the offseason heading into next season.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,760

Post#15 » by CobraCommander » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:58 pm

niha17 wrote:why would he take a buyout. Hes never going to get a deal again. if hes lucky he'll get a min deal

You are Soo righttttttt

WallStar is a legend at the Bank...Hermès Hall of Fame.

John shouldn’t except a single dime less than what he is owed. John could take a buy out and actually work for less than what he is making sitting home in Texas with no state income tax. If John doesn’t play I wonder if he has to pay out of state taxes for game checks?
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,760

Post#16 » by CobraCommander » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:02 pm

You under estimate Johns resolve to be paid NOT to play basketball-

John was healthy with wizards and took extra time to get “right” after his injuries. The rockets paying him every nickel of that contract.

John said he was ready to come back this year but only if he starts....lol. Think about how absurd it is that the guy making 40 mil is also telling you what he will or won’t do for that 40 mil...and the rockets have all the leverage but alas they want to play the young guys....when Wall younger than some of their starters lol
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#17 » by Ballerhogger » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:39 pm

Wall is going retire and collect his check id be surprised if he picks up a basketball.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,197

Post#18 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:06 pm

CobraCommander wrote:
niha17 wrote:why would he take a buyout. Hes never going to get a deal again. if hes lucky he'll get a min deal

You are Soo righttttttt

WallStar is a legend at the Bank...Hermès Hall of Fame.

John shouldn’t except a single dime less than what he is owed. John could take a buy out and actually work for less than what he is making sitting home in Texas with no state income tax. If John doesn’t play I wonder if he has to pay out of state taxes for game checks?

Would you give up 10% of your income to get to play in the NBA for the next year+? How much would you give up if you were already set for life? I don't think he should have to give much back, but we have no idea what playing in the NBA is worth to him. He'll make more on a vet min deal than I will over the next 20 years. I won't hate on him if he takes a major haircut.

I also think HOU should be fined for not playing a healthy player, so what do I know?
alienpick
Starter
And1: 614

Post#19 » by alienpick » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:38 pm

Wall WANTS to play but the Rockets won't let him; unlike that entitled bum Simmons. Don't compare the two. The situations are completely different.
BullsOnParade99
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#20 » by BullsOnParade99 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:02 pm

alienpick wrote:

Wall WANTS to play but the Rockets won't let him; unlike that entitled bum Simmons. Don't compare the two. The situations are completely different.

He ONLY wants to play if he starts. They were going to bring him back, but not on John's terms.

It's funny how people are trying to twist this into Houston just won't allow it. He had an opportunity, but he refused to swallow his pride and take a role off the pine.

I do agree they're different situations...but the union stuff was probably just said as a joke.

Return to Wiretap Discussion