Raptors Interested In Trading For Jakob Poeltl

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Raptors Interested In Trading For Jakob Poeltl 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:47 pm

The Toronto Raptors have interest in trading for Jakob Poeltl.

The Raptors traded Poeltl to the San Antonio Spurs in 2019 as part of the Kawhi Leonard. Poeltl re-signed with the Spurs during the 2020 offseason on a three-year, $27 million deal.

The Raptors are 11-4 over their past 15 games and are now in playoff contention with a need at center.

Toronto sits at less than $300,000 below the luxury tax line, which could complicate the way they approach improving their roster.

Via Marc Stein/Substack

CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,279

Re: Raptors Interested In Trading For Jakob Poeltl 

Post#2 » by CIN-C-STAR » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:57 pm

I highly doubt the Spurs have much interest in Boucher, and I know Toronto ain't trading Scottie, OG or Siakam here, so they'd have to be willing to part with some serious draft capital for this to be feasible.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#3 » by TimeisIllmatic » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:17 pm

CIN-C-STAR wrote:I highly doubt the Spurs have much interest in Boucher, and I know Toronto ain't trading Scottie, OG or Siakam here, so they'd have to be willing to part with some serious draft capital for this to be feasible.

I could see a Toronto, Spurs, 3rd team trade happening. 3rd team gets Gary Trent, Spurs get picks + filler, Raptors could get Poetl.
njknicks
Pro Prospect
And1: 112

Post#4 » by njknicks » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:25 pm

Why would Spurs give up on a quality / steadily improving Center with a very reasonable contract?
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,432

Post#5 » by G R E Y » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:37 pm

Boucher? Lmao

Just **** off :lol:
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#6 » by G R E Y » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:38 pm

TimeisIllmatic wrote:
CIN-C-STAR wrote:I highly doubt the Spurs have much interest in Boucher, and I know Toronto ain't trading Scottie, OG or Siakam here, so they'd have to be willing to part with some serious draft capital for this to be feasible.

I could see a Toronto, Spurs, 3rd team trade happening. 3rd team gets Gary Trent, Spurs get picks + filler, Raptors could get Poetl.

How does filler for our most important rim protector who's averaging a double double this month--in other words, improving as the season progresses-- help us?
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
ebrian
Junior
And1: 32

Post#7 » by ebrian » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:40 pm

RealGMers should know by now that any rumor involving the Toronto Raptors is completely false, meant just to generate traffic.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#8 » by Indeed » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:45 pm

Poeltl shooting 40% from free throw is worth it for the Raptors?
It would be a surprise to me if Poeltl is the main piece, as the Raptors maybe better off with better shooting.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,346

Post#9 » by MadDogSHWA » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:56 pm

njknicks wrote:Why would Spurs give up on a quality / steadily improving Center with a very reasonable contract?

I wouldn't be shocked to see Siakam for Jakob +Vercel etc. Spurs will play Siakam at the 5.
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#10 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:00 pm

ebrian wrote:RealGMers should know by now that any rumor involving the Toronto Raptors is completely false, meant just to generate traffic.

All other rumors are on point! :lol:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#11 » by G R E Y » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:08 pm

MadDogSHWA wrote:
njknicks wrote:Why would Spurs give up on a quality / steadily improving Center with a very reasonable contract?

I wouldn't be shocked to see Siakam for Jakob +Vercel etc. Spurs will play Siakam at the 5.

Do you mean Devin Vassell? One of our most promising 3+D players and on a rookie contract - something we need, along with Jakob, for that matter? Yeah no...
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
MadDogSHWA
General Manager

Post#12 » by MadDogSHWA » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:10 pm

G R E Y wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:

Do you mean Devin Vassell? One of our most promising 3+D players and on a rookie contract - something we need, along with Jakob, for that matter? Yeah no...

Sorry. Yes. I started drinking a few hours ago. LOL. I said Vassell because he'd be the guy I'd want.

Let me rephrase:

Siakam +a young prospect (Primo maybe) +filler
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#13 » by G R E Y » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:21 pm

MadDogSHWA wrote:
G R E Y wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:

Sorry. Yes. I started drinking a few hours ago. LOL. I said Vassell because he'd be the guy I'd want.

Let me rephrase:

lol it's ok. RealGM has been misspelling Siakam's last name since he got into the league (it's not that hard!).

I notice you're going for our lottery picks in Vassell and Primo. It should probably be mentioned that these guys are the future for us, like literally the back court or the 2/3 in the next wave of players. So Derrick White, for instance, is 27, not on the younger side of development, right? He's our 2 guard right now (though can run the point), and I think either at some point he goes back to the bench or we maybe use him as trade bait once Vassell and Primo get more reps and fill out a little.

The thing is, Siakam addresses our PF need, but if we play him at the 5 in giving up Jakob (why would we do that as he's our best rim defender, and in his first full season as starter) it's not really an advantage, and we take up a ton of our cap space for a now player which is not where we're at in year one of a rebuild.

Like it may work on paper in terms of position need at PF and contracts exchanged, but it doesn't work for our team right now and going forward. We're getting a 6'8" player who is 27 on a huge contract whereas we're giving up better contracts and players of need that we're developing and fit out timeline. And while Siakam scores well, it's not really an issue for us, surprisingly, even with four established scoring vets out.

It just doesn't seem to make sense for us to give up what we need more of and have for better money. PATFO love Vassell and Primo.

Lonnie Walker? Yeah maybe...
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
BlackThought
Sixth Man
And1: 1,545

Post#14 » by BlackThought » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:31 pm

G R E Y wrote:
TimeisIllmatic wrote:

How does filler for our most important rim protector who's averaging a double double this month--in other words, improving as the season progresses-- help us?

You're 15-26, nobody is really THAT important. Being an ex-Raptor I've been following Poetl since he left and I like that he's progressing but let's not fool ourselves here, he's not averaging a double double on any playoff team. At best he's either a low minute starter or a bench guy and shouldn't be played more than 25 min a game.

That said I think he's worth a lot more than Boucher but that's just how little I think of Boucher's value.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#15 » by G R E Y » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:41 pm

BlackThought wrote:
G R E Y wrote:
TimeisIllmatic wrote:

You're 15-26, nobody is really THAT important. Being an ex-Raptor I've been following Poetl since he left and I like that he's progressing but let's not fool ourselves here, he's not averaging a double double on any playoff team. At best he's either a low minute starter or a bench guy and shouldn't be played more than 25 min a game.

That said I think he's worth a lot more than Boucher but that's just how little I think of Boucher's value.

I think we were like 7-3 before half the team got hit with Covid. **** happens. But let's say we have a full team and still 15-26. The point still stands that we're in year one of a rebuild, we have assets we're developing, and it makes zero sense to trade them for Saikam, especially with Jakob going the other way. We have a losing record without him, we don't need him to score a bunch of points even as we've incorporated him into the O more and he's part of the young group in his first full year as starter (so lots to adjust to).

I don't know why there's such a rush to development by some teams, but it's never been the way Spurs have done it. Regardless of record, we're not skipping steps, and giving up assets for a now-player on a huge contract isn't what a year one rebuild is about.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
MadDogSHWA
General Manager

Post#16 » by MadDogSHWA » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:45 pm

G R E Y wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:
G R E Y wrote:Do you mean Devin Vassell? One of our most promising 3+D players and on a rookie contract - something we need, along with Jakob, for that matter? Yeah no...

Let me rephrase:

lol it's ok. RealGM has been misspelling Siakam's last name since he got into the league (it's not that hard!).

I notice you're going for our lottery picks in Vassell and Primo. It should probably be mentioned that these guys are the future for us, like literally the back court or the 2/3 in the next wave of players. So Derrick White, for instance, is 27, not on the younger side of development, right? He's our 2 guard right now (though can run the point), and I think either at some point he goes back to the bench or we maybe use him as trade bait once Vassell and Primo get more reps and fill out a little.

The thing is, Siakam addresses our PF need, but if we play him at the 5 in giving up Jakob (why would we do that as he's our best rim defender, and in his first full season as starter) it's not really an advantage, and we take up a ton of our cap space for a now player which is not where we're at in year one of a rebuild.

Like it may work on paper in terms of position need at PF and contracts exchanged, but it doesn't work for our team right now and going forward. We're getting a 6'8" player who is 27 on a huge contract whereas were giving up better contracts and players of need that we're developing and fit out timeline. And while Siakam scores well, it's not really an issue for us, surprisingly, even with four established scoring vets out.

It just doesn't seem to make sense for us to give up what we need more of and have for better money. PATFO love Vassell and Primo.

You drive a hard bargain. I'll settle for either Walker or White who frankly fit our timeline better. White is light-years better than anyone on our bench.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#17 » by G R E Y » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:47 pm

MadDogSHWA wrote:
G R E Y wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:

Let me rephrase:

Like it may work on paper in terms of position need at PF and contracts exchanged, but it doesn't work for our team right now and going forward. We're getting a 6'8" player who is 27 on a huge contract whereas were giving up better contracts and players of need that we're developing and fit out timeline. And while Siakam scores well, it's not really an issue for us, surprisingly, even with four established scoring vets out.

You drive a hard bargain. I'll settle for either Walker or White who frankly fit our timeline better. White is light-years better than anyone on our bench.

I"ll let PAFTO know :lol: (says fan who has no insider info or influence whatsoever!)
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
MadDogSHWA
General Manager

Post#18 » by MadDogSHWA » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:57 pm

G R E Y wrote:I"ll let PAFTO know :lol: (says fan who has no insider info or influence whatsoever!)

I like the idea of Vassel and Primo plus Murray. They seem to line up age wise. Keldon looks like an absolute star some nights and also fits that timeline.

Hopefully Pop can ride with this group until that Spurs DNA gets infused.

I haven't followed the Spurs as closely the last few years but have been a fan since Mr Robinsons Neighbourhood.
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#19 » by TimeisIllmatic » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:17 pm

G R E Y wrote:
TimeisIllmatic wrote:

Filler would be to make the salaries match but I think getting assets like picks would be helpful considering the Spurs aren't going far w/ their current roster. At some point they need to figure out how to get a star on the roster.
BlackThought
Sixth Man
And1: 1,545

Post#20 » by BlackThought » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:25 pm

G R E Y wrote:
BlackThought wrote:
G R E Y wrote:How does filler for our most important rim protector who's averaging a double double this month--in other words, improving as the season progresses-- help us?

I think we were like 7-3 before half the team got hit with Covid. **** happens. But let's say we have a full team and still 15-26. The point still stands that we're in year one of a rebuild, we have assets we're developing, and it makes zero sense to trade them for Saikam, especially with Jakob going the other way. We have a losing record without him, we don't need him to score a bunch of points even as we've incorporated him into the O more and he's part of the young group in his first full year as starter (so lots to adjust to).

I don't know why there's such a rush to development by some teams, but it's never been the way Spurs have done it. Regardless of record, we're not skipping steps, and giving up assets for a now-player on a huge contract isn't what a year one rebuild is about.

dude, everyone's teams got hit with covid, your record is what it is. And the Raptors are not moving Siakam for Poetl, it doesn't make sense for both sides.

Frankly I don't think the Raps even need Poetl other than the occasional match up against lumbering bigs. Guys like Birch and Precious Achiuwa fits the modern game much better. I can see raps doing a package with Trent/boucher/pick(s) in a trade with another team and perhaps come back for a poetl trade with some pick(s) and salary filler and that's about it.

Return to Wiretap Discussion