ImageImageImageImageImage

Sportsnet and TSN have butchered their broadcasts

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,294

Re: Sportsnet and TSN have butchered their broadcasts 

Post#241 » by WaltFrazier » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:30 am

mdenny wrote:I think ppl are too quick to categorize somebody based on their opinion on a single issue.

I can be opposed to the pathetic cancel attempt on leo and still support diversity.

I work at tsn and tbh....all the diversity is in front of the camera. Some ppl refer to this as "token diversity". It certainly isnt as diverse BEHIND the camera where the majority of jobs are. And our tv broadcasting programs in college are FILLED with ethnic minorities so it's defintely not a lack of interest.

It should also

In my humble opinion....the main culprit is nepotism which is WIDESPREAD in the tv industry in general. Almost everyone in their 20s or 30s is someone's neice or nephew or son or daughter or some other relation to an older employee. Because of this....the racial demographics of the workplace end up looking more like the 50s or 60s, before the waves of inmigration into the country. If you get the nepotism under control....it should impact the lack of diversity behind the camera.

It should also be noted....the tv industry is dying. It used to take 20 to 25 ppl to put a show to air. With automation....now they can do it with 5 to 10. If you have teenage kids or relatives who are interested on TV....i'd strongly recommend you'd mention. It was hard enough to break into the industry on 90s/00s. Now there's even more ppl competing for far fewer opportunities. It's a dubious career path at this point. Not impossible....but i'd think twice about young ppl pursuing it.

There's only one raptor media figure who i think has kinda opportunized socio-poltics to further their career. And i'm not even sure that's necessarily a bad thing. I'm more about not chopping ppl down than i am about whining about a person's success. There was no reason to get rid of rod black. And cancel attempts on ppl because they are white males are the domain of resentful, angry losers in life.

Lets prop ppl up. Not chop them down. I think almost all the new female hires for raptor tv have been good. There's only one that i kinda roll my eyes at.

The issues with the "truck" in Raptor broadcasts are purely issues of competence then.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#242 » by WaltFrazier » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:31 am

kj_ wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
kj_ wrote:“These people” sums up the opinions of said poster

Too bad it's an anonymous board or you could try to get him fired like Don Cherry huh?

I was wondering how long it would take you to respond with that.

Longer than I predicted. You’re slowing down. Still super predictable, but slower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am getting older and slowing down in many ways. :D Anything but predictable though.
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,526

Post#243 » by mdenny » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:45 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
mdenny wrote:
Ref_from_hell wrote:It was in 2019. He was forced to make a twitter apology. I just tried looking for it but all I could find was this "man's" tweet

Read on Twitter
more

Ppl like ian are such malovelent, performative little cutthroats. The type who'd poke u in the eye. I loathe that ppl like this are having their little moment. It won't last. This whole shtick will eventually become taboo and seen for what it is. An updated form of bullying that only the most dishonorable people participate in.

I never knew about this incident. Funny I just saw a guy named Peter Shurman on the Agenda on TVO last night, listed as a podcast guy. I thought hey isn't he on radio. I googled, turns out AM640 Global newsradio fired him for making the most innocuous comment. He told a story of a niece of his from a rural area came to live with his family in TO, he warned her about things like leaving a drink unattended, this is the big city. Made a comment like, young women can get in trouble. His feminist guest blew up, it's not women who get themselves in trouble, blah blah, and left the interview. Next thing he loses his job. Clearly he was just giving protective fatherly advice. This is an experienced level headed talk radio guy, a bit right of center I think, who didn't remotely deserve to get canned over that.

As mdenny said these malevolent woke types are sickening and so are the employers who cave in to them.

This is one of the more insidious talking points used by these progressive maniacs.

We shouldn't warn our treasured young woman of the dangers out there because it allegedly makes THEM responsible for their own safety.

This is so goddamn backwards and unspeakably stupid i don't even know how to respond. EVERY YOUNG TEENAGE WOMAN SHOULD BE WARNED ABOUT DATE RAPE DRUGS AND PROTECTING THEIR DRINKS.

It's unspeakably dumb that such a warning is interpreted as blaming women for getting roofied.

We will look back on this nonsense in 20 years and wonder how can ppl be so dumb. The answer is that ppl are desperate to undertake the moral high ground.....so much so....they are willing to endanger young women in the process.
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,660

Post#244 » by johanliebert » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:57 pm

https://youtu.be/OpH_8Nd_taQ

Kayla’s getting that push. I have no issue with her however it’s the new talent on the broadcast team.
pilkoids
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,303

Post#245 » by pilkoids » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:27 pm

everdiso wrote:
mdenny wrote:
pilkoids wrote:
Minorities were never on board. You think the Jamaican mother of 3 commuting hours a day to a low paying job that barely feeds her family ever had this on her radar?

Agreed. From the beginning this has always been an upper-middle class elitist thing. Basically creating a new language and new social rules in their privileged environments and then punishing those who don't learn all their new terminology and rules. It's been an elitist "secret handshake" thing from the get-go.

I know people who at least have the balls to say they just don't like chicks talking about sports.

They don't hide behind this cowardly nonsense that you guys parrot from the usual grifters we all know well.

Care to explain this that I posted in this very same thread before all of the minorities talk?

pilkoids wrote:
JD143726 wrote:What the hell were they thinking? The new sideline reporters are awful, they keep trying to push Kayla Gray, Kia Nurse and the fat ex player on sportsnet, and they are all AWFUL. Between that and Devlin's corny regurgitated jokes, the broadcasts have become unwatchable. Just awful all the way around. Get some professionals on the sideline, on the broadcast and in the studio. This amateur hour crap is the worst.

*edit*

I'm the OP and I just wanted to clarify some stuff I said in the original post:

- Devlin is *excellent* when the games matter. Big regular season game, playoffs, whatever. He's very good. The problem is that his sense of humour is big time cringe and when the games don't mean anything he feels like he has to be comedic, which is most of the past two years. And that is the worst. Remember his 'what it do' at the championship parade? Big time cringe.

- TSN is at fault for annoying me with Kayla, rather than Kayla herself, because that f'n commercial played on *EVERY SINGLE COMMERCIAL BREAK* for the NBA Playoffs and the next four months. I was like 'uh, she must have a lot of talent' but I didn't make any judgements. But even *after* all of that ad spend *and the dismal ratings* *and* the bland TV work that adds nothing to the show...now, I don't like her. Call me racist, IDGAF.

- Kate sucks too. She's completely fake, and a phony, as anyone knows her would attest.

- The production values stink. The people ripping on the 'guys in the truck' are completely right.

- Moving Amy off camera, to replace Alvin, would be fine. I just don't need to see that on the sideline, but she knows her stuff. A Devlin/Amy duo would be fine. Moving Paul Jones and Eric Smith to TV would be ideal, but that's probably not going to happen.

- Multi billion dollar corporations should be putting out better products.

I've liked Kia a lot - very real, down to earth. Alvin needs to go though.

It's lazy, brain-dead, mischaracterizations like yours happening in the real world that are having real consequences to people.

I happen to like Kia the most out of all of the broadcast crew, but also happen to think todays social movements can go too far. See how I held two separate thoughts there in my head?
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#246 » by WaltFrazier » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:13 pm

everdiso wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
kj_ wrote:“These people” sums up the opinions of said poster

Too bad it's an anonymous board or you could try to get him fired like Don Cherry huh?

It's just so awful that people aren't allowed to say anything they want without any repercussions.

What a sad sad world we live in that people have to be responsible for their own words and actions.

People should watch what they say but the repercussions for saying your opinion in a way that doesn't suit the current language police should not be loss of income and social disgrace forever
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,025

Post#247 » by C Court » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:31 pm

mdenny wrote:In my humble opinion....the main culprit is nepotism which is WIDESPREAD in the tv industry in general. Almost everyone in their 20s or 30s is someone's neice or nephew or son or daughter or some other relation to an older employee. Because of this....the racial demographics of the workplace end up looking more like the 50s or 60s, before the waves of inmigration into the country. If you get the nepotism under control....it should impact the lack of diversity behind the camera.

Agreed. This is a huge issue. When you see someone new in the media industry, many times you discover they are related to someone else in TV, radio or press. Which is why I have so much respect for those who built careers based on hard work and talent and not based on who their dad or uncle is.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,526

Post#248 » by mdenny » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:46 pm

C Court wrote:
mdenny wrote:In my humble opinion....the main culprit is nepotism which is WIDESPREAD in the tv industry in general. Almost everyone in their 20s or 30s is someone's neice or nephew or son or daughter or some other relation to an older employee. Because of this....the racial demographics of the workplace end up looking more like the 50s or 60s, before the waves of inmigration into the country. If you get the nepotism under control....it should impact the lack of diversity behind the camera.

Agreed. This is a huge issue. When you see someone new in the media industry, many times you discover they are related to someone else in TV, radio or press. Which is why I have so much respect for those who built careers based on hard work and talent and not based on who their dad or uncle is.

It has consequences for diversity and ethnic representation. On average....the same ethnic demographics will reproduce themselves through family relations.

Merit-based hiring practise is actually the real path towards real diversity and representation imo.
nestea
Veteran
And1: 1,773

Post#249 » by nestea » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:02 pm

JD143726 wrote:What the hell were they thinking? The new sideline reporters are awful, they keep trying to push Kayla Gray, Kia Nurse and the fat ex player on sportsnet, and they are all AWFUL. Between that and Devlin's corny regurgitated jokes, the broadcasts have become unwatchable. Just awful all the way around. Get some professionals on the sideline, on the broadcast and in the studio. This amateur hour crap is the worst.

*edit*

I'm the OP and I just wanted to clarify some stuff I said in the original post:

- Devlin is *excellent* when the games matter. Big regular season game, playoffs, whatever. He's very good. The problem is that his sense of humour is big time cringe and when the games don't mean anything he feels like he has to be comedic, which is most of the past two years. And that is the worst. Remember his 'what it do' at the championship parade? Big time cringe.

- TSN is at fault for annoying me with Kayla, rather than Kayla herself, because that f'n commercial played on *EVERY SINGLE COMMERCIAL BREAK* for the NBA Playoffs and the next four months. I was like 'uh, she must have a lot of talent' but I didn't make any judgements. But even *after* all of that ad spend *and the dismal ratings* *and* the bland TV work that adds nothing to the show...now, I don't like her. Call me racist, IDGAF.

- Kate sucks too. She's completely fake, and a phony, as anyone knows her would attest.

- The production values stink. The people ripping on the 'guys in the truck' are completely right.

- Moving Amy off camera, to replace Alvin, would be fine. I just don't need to see that on the sideline, but she knows her stuff. A Devlin/Amy duo would be fine. Moving Paul Jones and Eric Smith to TV would be ideal, but that's probably not going to happen.

- Multi billion dollar corporations should be putting out better products.

No way for Paul and Erek. Between Paul's voice cracking like puberty, and Erek saying " Jonsey" every five minutes, I'll take a hard pass.
Im an Optomist, not an optometrist!
nestea
Veteran

Post#250 » by nestea » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:06 pm

Duffman100 wrote:

Okayyyy no need for that at all

Little harsh yes, but I find men can get away with being overweight on television then women.

Terry Bradshaw comes to mind.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,489

Post#251 » by Duffman100 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:40 pm

Some big news out of Sportsnet has some big names execs are heading out the door.
nestea
Veteran

Post#252 » by nestea » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:50 pm

Duffman100 wrote:Some big news out of Sportsnet has some big names execs are heading out the door.

Oh?
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,489

Post#253 » by Duffman100 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:58 pm

nestea wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:Some big news out of Sportsnet has some big names execs are heading out the door.

Oh?

Head of media and head of IT of media basically. Won’t stop there.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
pilkoids
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,303

Post#254 » by pilkoids » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:12 am

Duffman100 wrote:
nestea wrote:

Oh?

Head of media and head of IT of media basically. Won’t stop there.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
What implications does this have for the broadcast/coverage?

Sent from my SM-G991W using RealGM mobile app
adubmac
Junior
And1: 617

Post#255 » by adubmac » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:57 am

No one was better than John Saunders, the New VR never had it so good!

I think Kia Nurse is a rising star and Leo gets a bad wrap. He's not perfect but he's better than most and a huge upgrade to the rest of the newcomers.
holy wack unlyrical lyrics
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,359

Post#256 » by Lateral Quicks » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:34 am

I wonder if those Sportsnet dismissals have to do with the abysmal performance of their streaming services. The in-browser streams have been unwatchable until very recently. Not acceptable for a megacorps like Rogers.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,043

Post#257 » by Westside Gunn » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:07 am

Judging from this thread, it appears people are getting tired of our broadcasters, no matter who they are, because (my theory) they have a basketball podcast they listen to, or its probably their own, and they think that the people on TV aren't analytical as much as their podcaster. Podcast fatigue is real. I think people were more tolerant 15 years ago (surprise surprise) when they had less choices. There was one channel with raptor games, and a set broadcast team, with a couple podcasts on the web. Now we are overwhelmed.

I don't care that much about the broadcast team. I treat it as background noise. I just want the team to win. Matt Jack Leo etc have the talent to think on their feet and communicate succinctly vs some jabroni that has 4 hours in his podcast to make a point. Alvin has been in his job for only 3 or 4 months and people want him out which is pretty strange. Kia Nurse is pretty good, she has a commanding tone and has that charisma that makes you listen. They say vocals can make a big difference, even if you don't make sense.

BTW give Leo his flowers, I've been watching the man since the New VR days as a youngin. I am not sure what's going on if he has even been in a game this year, but it would be sad to force him away this way.
i miss the days when the bricks was only nineteeeeeeeen, i need a 100 right now
Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant

Post#258 » by Westside Gunn » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:12 am

Lateral Quicks wrote:I wonder if those Sportsnet dismissals have to do with the abysmal performance of their streaming services. The in-browser streams have been unwatchable until very recently. Not acceptable for a megacorps like Rogers.

They don't compete against anyone in the country. No incentive. The changes don't mean anything when you only compete against yourself and the consumer of the service only has you to rely on.
Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant

Post#259 » by Westside Gunn » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:24 am

mdenny wrote:
C Court wrote:

It has consequences for diversity and ethnic representation. On average....the same ethnic demographics will reproduce themselves through family relations.

Merit-based hiring practise is actually the real path towards real diversity and representation imo.

This has been the way of recruiting for a long time. They preached this in school and networking events. It's all about who you know, but yes you do hear of a story here and there where people make it on their own.

Because the Canadian diversity model (specially in Ontario) encourages settling in enclaves and not integrating with one another, if today it's a white problem, tomorrow it will be an ______(insert ethnicity here) problem.

Merit based hiring is the way it should be and not on who you know, but with additional requirements on gender, racial, sexual preference hires, we seem to be drifting further away from that. I've been a contractor with a few companies and I clearly see the wrong people with key roles in many cases because they need to meet those quotas. It shouldn't be forced or else people stop taking it seriously.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,726

Post#260 » by Ayt » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:05 pm

SuppaSlick wrote:3. I know many don't understand how demeaning that is to say people are diversity hires and I'm sure they also don't care but it is. I hear it all the time in my job from people yet they were hired because they are cousins of the boss and feel no shame in still throwing the diversity stone... It's embarrassing people, please do better.

They know exactly what they are saying.

Return to Toronto Raptors