Doncic, SGA, Randle, Tatum. Who has been worst this season?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Who has been the biggest disappointment this season?

Luka Doncic
19%
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
7%
Julius Randle
57%
Jayson Tatum
17%

Total votes: 143

Marvin Martian
Head Coach
And1: 5,053

Doncic, SGA, Randle, Tatum. Who has been worst this season? 

Post#1 » by Marvin Martian » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:26 am

These 4 in my opinion has been the biggest disappointments this season. Who has been the worst in your opinion?

Personally, I would go with SGA. He has taken the biggest hit in regards to his scoring efficiency and quite frankly he should be a 25ppg scorer by now. Especially on this bottom feeder OKC squad.
dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,244

Re: Doncic, SGA, Randle, Tatum. Who has been worst this season? 

Post#2 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:36 am

Randle. He was in my eyes the guy who would take the Knicks a step forward. Finally, make the Knicks something valid after all these years sucking. Tatum has been playing better and is still young and learning. Luka came into this season overweight, has been playing injured while the team has been struck with injuries and covid. Shai Gilgeous-Alexander is playing on a really bad team so you can't blame him if it is his own fault or the team's fault. Whatever he does, the team won't do much better.
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,902

Post#3 » by DaGawd » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:36 am

You coulda ran with the all Kentucky poll with Fox,SGA,Randle and AD
BaF
Washington Wizards
GeorgeSears
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,286

Post#4 » by GeorgeSears » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:39 am

Biggest disappointment and worst are two different things. Luka is obviously the biggest disappointment because he's better than all of them. However, the worst has easily been Julius Randle. I've never liked Randle's game. He's like a slightly more athletic version of Zach Randolph, when Randolph played for the Knicks.
Rockazoids
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Post#5 » by Rockazoids » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:03 am

The Knicks are 21-21, 7-3 in their last 10 games give Randle a break.
Follow the science not some internet physician & get your shots.
Kerrsed wrote:Just thinking of this deal makes my ass hurt!

turk3d wrote: you're about to make me go old rem on you

GoNYK1288 wrote:You better clench your butt cheeks because the GB is about to have at you.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,808

Post#6 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:14 am

How is SGA a disappointment exactly? I get the expectations for Luka/Tatum are going to be super high. And I get Randle had a really great year last year so his return to the norm disappoints those who believed that was the new Randle. But what's wrong with SGA?

My guess is you looked at 3-pt shooting and went no further and concluded he's been bad. And that would be a mistake.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,290

Post#7 » by babyjax13 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:16 am

Randle is just not the same caliber player. Between Luka/SGA/Tatum I'd say it is Luka, since SGA and Tatum have turned things around recently.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,045

Post#8 » by bstein14 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:24 am

Texas Chuck wrote:How is SGA a disappointment exactly? I get the expectations for Luka/Tatum are going to be super high. And I get Randle had a really great year last year so his return to the norm disappoints those who believed that was the new Randle. But what's wrong with SGA?

My guess is you looked at 3-pt shooting and went no further and concluded he's been bad. And that would be a mistake.

He's just way less efficient than last season. Keep the same as last season would have been great but overall OKC is the 4th worst team in the league and SGA was billed as an efficient guard with superstar potential. He didn't take a step forward after signing that huge max deal he took a step back.

Fox is in a similar boat as far as just being way less efficient this year.
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,042

Post#9 » by Murray_17 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:24 am

Texas Chuck wrote:How is SGA a disappointment exactly? I get the expectations for Luka/Tatum are going to be super high. And I get Randle had a really great year last year so his return to the norm disappoints those who believed that was the new Randle. But what's wrong with SGA?

His efficiency is down and all his FG% are down, not only the 3-pt shooting.

But he's probably the only guy worth guarding on that entire team and defenses are loading on him so i see why his numbers are down across the board.

The other guys are biggest dissapointments than him for sure.
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,808

Post#10 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:29 am

yeah you can't play those lineups and ask SGA to be a 60% TS guy. But this is a guy who leads the league in points on drives just ahead of Ja. Teams can't keep him out of the paint and that's with the Thunder having Muscala and nobody to space the floor for him. Imagine how lethal and efficient he would be if you couldn't just collapse on him?

Context matters. Just like with Luka none of the Dallas shooters save Maxi were making 3's to start the season. Now DFS and Bullock and Brown and THJ are making shots in line with their norms and Dallas is winning a bunch of games around Luka again.

But if you just look at individual stats it can be very misleading. You have to realize what's happening around them to understand why some of their numbers aren't as gaudy as you want.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#11 » by mattao313 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:36 am

It has to be Luka imo guy started the season out of shape would have thought he learned his lesson but guess not. He's also really inefficient and a to machine. This is a guy I thought would be pushing his way into the top 5 of best players in the league.

Sent from my 5087Z using RealGM mobile app
Championships
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,573

Post#12 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:46 am

SGA was down to 20 ppg, he’s up to 22.5. He’s on the upswing lately. His 3 has been off, but he’s also been in and out of the lineup a bunch. I could definitely see him around 24-25 ppg at 38% from 3 by season end if he has a hot month.

His roster situation is much worse than last year with the revolving door due to Omicron hitting the entire league too. Teams are also more prepared for him this year and focusing him. Chuck really covered all of this.

For me relative to their talent level maybe Luka. BUT that’s only because I picked him to be the MVP this year, best player in the NBA. The one thing about Luka though is when it counts (playoffs), you know he’s gonna bring it at that MVP level.

Tatum to me is Paul George 2.0. Every year preseason hype and he will look like an MVP for 1-2 months, then disappear (by his standards). He will have 40 in a crazy dominant game, then have a ghost performance. I don’t feel like he’s all that consistent for his talent level.

Keep in mind at the halfway mark so much can change.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
Pinpilinpauxa
Sophomore
And1: 154

Post#13 » by Pinpilinpauxa » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:54 am

The 25/8.5/9 guy have been the biggest disappointment. Thats how good he is. The year he doesn't come fat, if ever, he will be the MVP
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,198

Post#14 » by brutalitops » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:06 am

SGA has been great? How is he dissapointing?
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,142

Post#15 » by jbk1234 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:24 am

I didn't really have high expectations for Randle, so I'm not all that disappointed.

The guy who's still good, but a bit of a disappointment is Tatum. His growth curve since his rookie year has been kind of flat. I absolutely thought he'd develop into a first option on a contender, but he's not really a playmaker for his teammates.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
rickxdel
Junior
And1: 449

Post#16 » by rickxdel » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:34 am

Most disappointing and worst player are 2 different questions

most disappointing is Luka, given he's probably the most talented and highest potential young player in the league, people expect him to play like an mvp but that's definitely not been the case

Worst player of this bunch is Randle (though even he's been better lately by moving the ball more rather than doing his inefficient iso's, maybe he's accepting he's not a superstar)
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,020

Post#17 » by JN61 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:52 am

My guess is you didn't do your research.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
Ritzo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,252

Post#18 » by Ritzo » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:13 am

Luka is not taking basketball seriously, he is out of shape and he whines in the game even more than last year. I used to love watching him but not anymore.
hoosierdaddy34
Head Coach
And1: 5,726

Post#19 » by hoosierdaddy34 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:23 am

Imagine being 22 years old, putting up 25-8-9, having your team in the 5th seed, and people are disappointed in your play.

Man, Luka truly is next level great.
Marvin Martian
Head Coach
And1: 5,053

Post#20 » by Marvin Martian » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:38 am

hoosierdaddy34 wrote:Imagine being 22 years old, putting up 25-8-9, having your team in the 5th seed, and people are disappointed in your play.

Man, Luka truly is next level great.

I think a lot of people expected Luka to be in the MVP conversation this season but this year, he isn't even top 5. That is the disappointment

Return to The General Board