Will the bank shot be gone forever? Why can't players try banking in threes?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 5,987

Re: Will the bank shot be gone forever? Why can't players try banking in threes? 

Post#21 » by falcolombardi » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:41 am

Takuya Kimura wrote:
falcolombardi wrote:essentially because the aiming is more complex

you have to aim to a specific part of the backboard in a way that it bounces in a good angle to the hoop

with aiming to the rim you have less stuff to worry about and is easier to use the rim as visual reference

in shorter shots in a diagonal angle (the classic Bank shot) however the angle is relatively easy to see and hit making it a viable option .

This is exactly what I think, which makes me wonder why the bank shot was a thing in the first place.

is easier for beginners to hit bankshots from diagonal angles
FreeThrowLine
Veteran
And1: 4,274

Re: Will the bank shot be gone forever? Why can't players try banking in threes? 

Post#22 » by FreeThrowLine » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:52 am

Shock Defeat wrote:People Itt 10 years ago:
“Have you ever played basketball? Step back threes are more difficult than a regular three”

What the 2 other people that have replied to this comment didn't touch on, is that the step back serves a purpose. You're creating space between yourself and the defender, so while a step back 3 in theory is more difficult than a standard set shot, you also don't need to step back unless you're trying to create that space. There's no advantage in trying to shoot a 3 off the backboard
asas
Pro Prospect
And1: 586

Post#23 » by asas » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:16 am

Shock Defeat wrote:Back in the day the bank shot used to be a money shot but nowadays I see it very rarely. I think Westbrook is the only player that still tries for the bank shot. Once he is gone will the bank shot be gone forever?

Why can't somebody perfect the bank shot from the three point line? Bank shots from the elbow are technically easier than a regular jumpshot, I'm surprised that no one has tried adding it to their repertoire yet.

If you think only Westbrook shoots bank shots you need to watch more basketball before making this statement. Players still do it.
moderndarwin
Rookie
And1: 1,170

Post#24 » by moderndarwin » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:36 am

I can say without question that it is possible to get really good at making bank shot threes.

I’m a pretty good shooter but for whatever reason i started shooting bank shots elbow threes and i absolutely can hit them with regularity in games no problem. It’s almost the only three i take. Once you get the feeling down it’s such a weird spot to take a shot from that people just naturally loosen up. Clearly at the nba level with scouting it’d be different but i can say unequivocally if a scrub like me can become a deadly three ball shooter any good shooter in the nba could.
coolness
Analyst
And1: 303

Post#25 » by coolness » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:41 am

I like a good hook-bank from the elbow or between the elbow and the side-line.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#26 » by monopoman » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:44 am

prophet_of_rage wrote:I played with a guy who banked threes. But players today are buried so deep in the corners they can't bank the 3 from there.

And a banked 3 from the 45 or top feels like a fluke.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk

Having seen Lillard play nearly every single game, he doesn't take many from the corner. I think the corner 3 is more a tool of the non-star level player since that is usually a good passing angle from the paint. Meanwhile guys like Curry, Harden, Lillard take most of their 3's from the areas further away.

They also have the ball in their hands more so moving towards the corner to take a shot usually brings a defender that will try to make it difficult.
Monky15
Starter
And1: 692

Post#27 » by Monky15 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:47 am

Its not practical but LOL at the people saying the op never plays basketball because shooting normal 3's takes enough strength as it is.

I see plenty of NBA players shooting comfortably from way beyond the 3pt line, I'm sure LeBron or Harden could comfortably attempt to bank 3's it would just be poor time management imho to try and learn to do it efficiently if it can be done at all.
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,020

Post#28 » by JN61 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:57 am

BigGargamel wrote:OP, have you tried to shoot a bank 3 before? You have to put in even more strength than usual to get the ball that far. Banking in 3''s just doesn't make sense physically.

Edit: What guy above me said haha.

I do love a nice mid range bank, but as we know...analytics says don't take that shot anymore.

Uhm finding enough strength from your legs and arms is easy to bank shots from 3... Unless one is skinny high schooler. Issue it's damn hard to bank 3 pointer. Longer the distance harder it is to have silky touch on the bounce.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,020

Post#29 » by JN61 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:18 am

Egg Nog wrote:
Shock Defeat wrote:I think Westbrook is the only player that still tries for the bank shot.

We can't really be certain he's trying for the bank shot.

Granted this year he is 39.1% but still at 9/23 so he can turn that around just matter of games but last season he was 62.8%, and before this season last 5 seasons his average is 122/242, which is 50.4% (which one bad season really drags down, otherwise he shoots 55-60% almost yearly around this span of games. For his career he is at 321/600 which is 53.5%.

Which is 3% of his all FGAs or around 10% of his overall jumpers attempted for his career which in terms of made shots is pretty good for someone who is sub 40% jump shooter.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#30 » by BostonCouchGM » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:10 am

It’s not utilized because contrary to the narrative spread by those born after 1990, the skill level of NBA players hasn’t been this low since the 70s. It’d be more apparent if they called carries, travels, push off and illegal moving screens. The bank shot was mostly used by back to the basket bigs facing up shooting hooks or turnarounds or mid-range jump shooters. Two groups that no longer exist. I doubt it ever returns
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,495

Post#31 » by old skool » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:12 pm

I can't understand why no one shoots FTs with their eyes closed anymore. It seems no one hardly even attempts the eyes closed FT since it was slightly popular with Jordan.

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app
Bologna Smasher
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,182

Post#32 » by Bologna Smasher » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:28 pm

Not worried about players banking threes, but I do miss seeing Duncan's mid-range bank shot. Even liked watching Wade's even though he didn't use it as much.
Maxthirty
Rookie
And1: 2,595

Post#33 » by Maxthirty » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:40 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:It’s not utilized because contrary to the narrative spread by those born after 1990, the skill level of NBA players hasn’t been this low since the 70s. It’d be more apparent if they called carries, travels, push off and illegal moving screens. The bank shot was mostly used by back to the basket bigs facing up shooting hooks or turnarounds or mid-range jump shooters. Two groups that no longer exist. I doubt it ever returns

“Players are less talented than they have been in 50 years. Even though everyone disagrees with me and I have zero evidence to support my case.”
Water makes you weak.
oversteerdawg
Senior
And1: 785

Post#34 » by oversteerdawg » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:49 pm

Assfault
Hon-essim wrote:LOL @John Starks, Charles Oakley, Harper and Davis = average team but Smush, Kwame and Luke = not.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,718

Post#35 » by UcanUwill » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:04 pm

Shock Defeat wrote:People Itt 10 years ago:
“Have you ever played basketball? Step back threes are more difficult than a regular three”

It is still the case... so your analogy makes no sense.

Bank shot 3 makes no sense and you will know it if you ever shot a ball from that range. I think banking from deep is only good when you very off balanced leaning to the basket side in the air, that is when its very hard to actually hit a normal long range shot.
canada_dry
Head Coach
And1: 5,266

Post#36 » by canada_dry » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:49 pm

Have u seen russell Westbrook try a bank shot these days? He'll kill it himself.

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,147

Post#37 » by Optimus_Steel » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:17 am

Banking in 3s probably doesn't make sense given the distance. However I've always thought to myself why don't the terrible free throw shooters like Shaq, Dwight, Ben Simmons try to bank in free throws? It can't be worse than their normal free throw stance/form, and the distance is close enough it may work. Could be ego? I remember Rick Barry pushing for players to try the granny shot but none wanted to be made fun of....

Sent from my Pixel 5 using RealGM Forums mobile app
aka: prorl
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,861

Post#38 » by Curmudgeon » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:35 am

The bank shot died with Sam Jones. The hook shot died with Tommy Heinsohn and Cliff Hagan. RIP.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit

Return to The General Board