ImageImageImageImageImage

[Marc Stein] Raptors interested in trading for Jakob Pöltl

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

MoneyBall
Analyst
And1: 3,183

Re: [Marc Stein] Raptors interested in trading for Jakob Pöltl 

Post#101 » by MoneyBall » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:15 am

Do we really want to give up a FRP for Poetl? I mean I like him but he's hardly the game changer some of you are making him out to be. If we have to trade GTJ for him it's a lateral move at best. Only way this makes sense to me is if you can get value back for Dragic by adding a third team to the mix.
TRik
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,428

Post#102 » by TRik » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:26 am

Seriously, if we could make a deal for JP and Lonnie Walker that would be amazing.
‘Silly rabbit’
yellowknifer
Analyst
And1: 2,337

Post#103 » by yellowknifer » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:15 am

I remember the defensive impact he had. I also remember he was a skilled passer who had great chemistry with Fred and Pascal. Smart and fundamentally sound. He has decent touch around the basket. His shooting drops his value though. If he could hit 60 percent of his FTs it would be one thing. I'm not sure what a proper deal looks like. Maybe a swap of some kind or a heavily protected first? Plus some pieces with potential value like Flynn to match salaries.
Hoop Heavy
Rookie
And1: 601

Post#104 » by Hoop Heavy » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:16 pm

MoneyBall wrote:Do we really want to give up a FRP for Poetl? I mean I like him but he's hardly the game changer some of you are making him out to be. If we have to trade GTJ for him it's a lateral move at best. Only way this makes sense to me is if you can get value back for Dragic by adding a third team to the mix.

Yeah, I liked Jacob when the was in the 6 first time round. Sure the free throws and the limited range aren't ideal, but the boarding, low post D and rim protection are big steps up. Then, his salary demands looking forward may not be so high.

Still, like many, I don't know if I would give up a starter for him. Gary is a nice piece. However, the Raps have lots of lesser values that maybe could be cobbled in a multi-team trade. Beyond Dragic and Boucher (or Achuiwa), there's the 5 mil TPE and even a FRP. Collected value equals Poetl easily.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,147

Post#105 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:36 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
redeye514 wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:Let's consider this rumour.

1) Marc Stein doesn't know anything about the Raptors and hasn't for years.
2) San Antonio almost never trades and never leaks.
3) Toronto never leaks.
4) There's too many close-knit relationships between both FOs to leak.

Yet Kawhi was Vegas betting favourite to be traded to the Raptors before it happened....
Kawhi and the Raps weren't known until very late in the game though.

We heard of rumours like a month before it happened I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#106 » by will » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:16 pm

ConSarnit
Analyst
And1: 3,603

Post#107 » by ConSarnit » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:25 pm

Hoop Heavy wrote:
MoneyBall wrote:Do we really want to give up a FRP for Poetl? I mean I like him but he's hardly the game changer some of you are making him out to be. If we have to trade GTJ for him it's a lateral move at best. Only way this makes sense to me is if you can get value back for Dragic by adding a third team to the mix.

Yeah, I liked Jacob when the was in the 6 first time round. Sure the free throws and the limited range aren't ideal, but the boarding, low post D and rim protection are big steps up. Then, his salary demands looking forward may not be so high.

Still, like many, I don't know if I would give up a starter for him. Gary is a nice piece. However, the Raps have lots of lesser values that maybe could be cobbled in a multi-team trade. Beyond Dragic and Boucher (or Achuiwa), there's the 5 mil TPE and even a FRP. Collected value equals Poetl easily.

I like Poetl but I wouldn’t give up GTJ for him. Our backup guard rotation is garbage. Missing FVV or GTJ really screws our rotation. We have no one we can rely on coming off the bench from 1-3 (maybe Yuta?).

Our guard depth is on the razors edge (ie. We have no depth whatsoever). Poetl doesn’t make a ton of sense to me right now.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#108 » by will » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:35 pm

ConSarnit wrote:
Hoop Heavy wrote:

I like Poetl but I wouldn’t give up GTJ for him. Our backup guard rotation is garbage. Missing FVV or GTJ really screws our rotation. We have no one we can rely on coming off the bench from 1-3 (maybe Yuta?).

Our guard depth is on the razors edge (ie. We have no depth whatsoever). Poetl doesn’t make a ton of sense to me right now.

If I put myself in the Spurs point of view, I am asking for ADBOE or Pascal if dealing Yakub Purrtl in a trade.

It ain't GTJ, because because the Spurs already have nice guard players already. Murray and Derrick White are locked up long term, Primo Pasta is waiting in the wings.
refshateRaps
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,921

Post#109 » by refshateRaps » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:43 pm

Nice piece at the right price not not our main area of need
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,158

Post#110 » by PhilBlackson » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:45 pm

No way we should trade a FRP....or OG which is borderline laughable for Yak.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Ackshun
General Manager
And1: 4,574

Post#111 » by Ackshun » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:56 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:No way we should trade a FRP....or OG which borderline laughable for Yak.

No way this trade happens.

Some other team out there will send a late 1st for Poetl. Spurs aren't playing to win but in that asset appreciation mode. They aren't selling Poetl for cap relief or an 8th man in the rotation.

Doubt Poetl is a Raptor this year.
Rapsalot
Head Coach
And1: 1,646

Post#112 » by Rapsalot » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:06 pm

I looked at this for salary and fit. He would be a good but 50 game fit. I like the KB, PA, JP three different and diverse Cs. In games where JP plays if all three are healthy I give PA 10 mins at PF. Only one trade seems to fit.

JP + SA 2023 Second pick from Indy so likely 33-36 = CB + IB + Toronto 2023 first top 10 protected then and future. Say we finish top 6 next year that pick is 18 vs say the 35 pick
We get JP and move back 17 spaces in draft. They get Mobile C/PF who will likely sign for about same money next year or they would get almost 9mil cap and get to move up 15-20 spots and have 2 firsts in 2023.
We could look at similar for Mo Bamba
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,965

Post#113 » by anotherhomer » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:08 pm

we don't really have anything that we can offer spurs, short of picks and fillers
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,830

Post#114 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:27 pm

anotherhomer wrote:we don't really have anything that we can offer spurs, short of picks and fillers

Hell why not Boucher, Yuta, Malachi and this year's FRP for Yak and Bates-Diop. Pops will get Malachi sorted and Yuta needs a role beyond fringe player. When on Boucher looks like a 6th man. No way we trade Gary. Fred-Gary is a lock. Barnes s/be 6th man to get the ball in year two. When he comes in he should be a 10-0 run in the making.

Paskal-Yak-OG-Gary-Fred
Barnes. ! Sign here.
Hoop Heavy
Rookie
And1: 601

Post#115 » by Hoop Heavy » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:18 pm

It could all just be some smoke to cover the real move for ... sssh don't tell ... BAMBA

ooops
Son Goku 25
RealGM
And1: 40,587

Post#116 » by Son Goku 25 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:52 pm

Hoop Heavy wrote:It could all just be some smoke to cover the real move for ... sssh don't tell ... BAMBA

ooops

Probably
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,998

Post#117 » by kalel123 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:04 am

How about Willie Cauley-Stein?

Not the player of similar level obviously but would cost no valuable trade asset to get as a plug if we fail to get these big men we are rumored to be interested in. Not sure how bad he is at this point to be cut.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,048

Post#118 » by Indeed » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:08 am

kalel123 wrote:How about Willie Cauley-Stein?

Not the player of similar level obviously but would cost no valuable trade asset to get as a plug if we fail to get these big men we are rumored to be interested in. Not sure how bad he is at this point to be cut.

Isn't he on leave due to personal reason?
But we will be over the tax if we sign him instead of trading him.
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,998

Post#119 » by kalel123 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:59 am

Indeed wrote:
kalel123 wrote:How about Willie Cauley-Stein?

Isn't he on leave due to personal reason?
But we will be over the tax if we sign him instead of trading him.

Did a short Google search and it seems you are right. That might be more of a reason that Mavs waived him because they felt like he'd be unavailable for the season whatever his personal reason is.

IF he is available though, I don't know if tax would be a huge issue. In a worst case scenario, couldn't they buy out Dragic at a discount to leave enough room under the tax to get him? Don't think the events have to happen in a certain order as I believe the team is ok as long as they are under the tax at a certain point in the season. They could also trade Dragic in a package to get back less salary to have more room under the tax. A lot of hoops to jump through but could be better than having to give up too much value for some of these other guys in a trade depending on how much trade value one believes Dragic has.
bballsparkin
General Manager
And1: 7,423

Post#120 » by bballsparkin » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:07 am

Love me some Poeltl. Still can't spell his name right without checking. I'll start feeling bad about that once he starts shooting over 55% from FT again. I don't think that's asking too much.

Return to Toronto Raptors