DeAndre Ayton, Jalen Smith, Cameron Johnson, 3 first round picks, cash for Joel Embiid and Danny Green

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,799

Re: DeAndre Ayton, Jalen Smith, Cameron Johnson, 3 first round picks, cash for Joel Embiid and Danny Green 

Post#21 » by HotelVitale » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:42 pm

WargamesX wrote:I think this is actually fair, but I also think Ayton will be a top 5 center for a long time starting very soon. Plus he isn’t a injury risk like Embiid will be as Embiid gets older.

Big difference between 'will probably be a top-5 center' and 'is definitely a perennial MVP candidate.' The former is a nice asset, the latter is something teams will like tank for 4 years and go to battle with the league for a chance to get.
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Re: DeAndre Ayton, Jalen Smith, Cameron Johnson, 3 first round picks, cash for Joel Embiid and Danny Green 

Post#22 » by DroseReturnChi » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:52 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
WargamesX wrote:I think this is actually fair, but I also think Ayton will be a top 5 center for a long time starting very soon. Plus he isn’t a injury risk like Embiid will be as Embiid gets older.

Big difference between 'will probably be a top-5 center' and 'is definitely a perennial MVP candidate.' The former is a nice asset, the latter is something teams will like tank for 4 years and go to battle with the league for a chance to get.

mvp candidate is nothing to boast about and not untouchable. if ayton is a top 5 center starting next yr and say embiid is a top10 mvp candidate for next 5 yrs theres not much difference because ayton is already more than enough in a worthless position.

at the end of the day, embiid is not 1st team material and center dominating with high usage is what elite teams hate to see. this is similar situation saying dame is untouchable for past 5 yrs and now we know holding him longer is a lose lose situation unless you can acquire multiple all nba players.

i would decide to trade depending on simmons return of all nba back but you cannot go wrong with ayton who is a rising upcoming star. he is a nice hedge.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,814

Post#23 » by Saberestar » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:05 pm

Colbinii wrote:
JDLAW wrote:
Colbinii wrote:I think this is closer.

Booker, Ayton, 3 Unprotected 1sts and 3 pick swaps for Embiid, Danny Green

Even more ridiculous than OP.

The Suns are trading for a Top 5 player in the league in the midst of his prime. The Suns are giving up a low-end all-star [Booker], an above average starting Center [Ayton] and 3 picks.

Now Embiid is a Top 5 player? To me he is not even Top 10.

The Suns wouldn't trade any of those packages for Embiid, I have been very surprised by some answers in this thread.

Ayton is a great C, healthier and younger than Embiid and he is gonna be an All Star pretty soon.

Cam Johnson is already one of the best 6th man in the league and he is only in his third season. Amazing 3p shooter and good defender.

These two players (+fillers, probably Saric and Jalen Smith) would be fair value for Embiid (forget picks) BUT I wouldn't do it.

Embiid would change our system and we need Book and CP3 to have the keys on this team. It is working and we are favorites in the West to go again to the Finals this season.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#24 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:16 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:Do this, Fire Rivers, and then Simmons might actually come back to play

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app

It is interesting to ponder - Would this trade get Simmons to reconsider playing for Philly?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#25 » by Prokorov » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:50 pm

People will say "no way for philly" but it wont age well.

Embiid is turning 28. He has missed significant time every year. Injury/Fatigue have been big issues for him. Playoff success hasnt been there. Building around your center as your 1A offensive options hasnt shown championship success even if the center is an MVP type since the early 2000s.

How much prime does Embiid have left, how available is he during his prime and how quickly can you fit a championship cast around him?

Maybe this deal isnt quite there. I'd want at least 1 lock top 10 picks in the heap. but i think removing emotion selling high on embiid is not a bad idea nor is transitioning your 1A scorer from C to wing.

If the suns make this trade they lose depth/glue guys and in a couple years are looking at a 30+ year old embiid maybe hobbled by injured and a retired chris paul
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#26 » by Mykhyn » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:03 pm

RedIndian wrote:
Cklbmk wrote:
thamadkant wrote:Suns will not sabotage their established system to take on Embiid and basically CHANGE up the whole system. And vice versa with 76ers.

OP is nuts.

Suns would do OP in .1 seconds flat.

CP3-Booker-Bridges-Embiid could win a title 4 on 5

You don't turn down a trading your 4th best player for an all time great in his prime for "system" reasons

Nobody wins a title on paper. The Suns system is predicated on two great guards in Book and CP, with rim runners, defenders and shooters to surround them. They went to the Finals last year with that system, and currently have the best record in the NBA. They may or may not win the title, but are certainly one of the top contenders.

They will not break that continuity for a hypothetically greater shot at the title. Embiid is the greater talent by far than Ayton + Cam or whatever, but the idea that he'd just come in, and the Suns would win the title is ludicrous. Suns would need to change their entire style, and that doesn't happen in half a season.

Contenders are built over like 2 years with continuity and chemistry and adding the right role players around your stars. By the time the Suns have that with Embiid, CP would have fallen off a cliff anyway. Not to mention that the Suns would be completely shorn of assets to add new role players.

Of course, Sixers would never entertain this offer in the first place, so this is just a pointless discussion.

Pistons say hi
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,311

Post#27 » by DirtyDez » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:38 pm

Cklbmk wrote:
thamadkant wrote:Suns will not sabotage their established system to take on Embiid and basically CHANGE up the whole system. And vice versa with 76ers.

OP is nuts.

You don't turn down a trading your 4th best player for an all time great in his prime for "system" reasons

Yeah no kidding. Easy yes.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,158

Post#28 » by Mr Puddles » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:45 am

DirtyDez wrote:
Cklbmk wrote:

OP is nuts.

Yeah no kidding. Easy yes.

If he can stay healthy. This is the same Joel Embiid who's averaged 36 games a season since being drafted 8 years ago.
Spoiler:
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,776

Post#29 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:14 am

Prokorov wrote:People will say "no way for philly" but it wont age well.

Embiid is turning 28. He has missed significant time every year. Injury/Fatigue have been big issues for him. Playoff success hasnt been there. Building around your center as your 1A offensive options hasnt shown championship success even if the center is an MVP type since the early 2000s.

How much prime does Embiid have left, how available is he during his prime and how quickly can you fit a championship cast around him?

Maybe this deal isnt quite there. I'd want at least 1 lock top 10 picks in the heap. but i think removing emotion selling high on embiid is not a bad idea nor is transitioning your 1A scorer from C to wing.

If the suns make this trade they lose depth/glue guys and in a couple years are looking at a 30+ year old embiid maybe hobbled by injured and a retired chris paul

But he's an MVP level player. And the gap between MVP and really good is enormous. For instance you'd never trade KD for DeRozan and a bunch of picks. DD is a really good player. But he's not KD. And suddenly your contender, well isn't.

Warriors aren't trading Steph for Trae and a bunch of picks.

Nuggets aren't trading Jokic for Bam and a bunch of picks.

Bucks aren't trading Giannis for Tatum and Brown and a bunch of picks.

If you have a top 5 player with the on-court impact of Embiid, its a loss to trade him for the 10th best center because well he's young and might someday be the 4th best center.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#30 » by kuclas » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:24 am

Saberestar wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
JDLAW wrote:

Even more ridiculous than OP.

The Suns are trading for a Top 5 player in the league in the midst of his prime. The Suns are giving up a low-end all-star [Booker], an above average starting Center [Ayton] and 3 picks.

The Suns wouldn't trade any of those packages for Embiid, I have been very surprised by some answers in this thread.

Ayton is a great C, healthier and younger than Embiid and he is gonna be an All Star pretty soon.

Cam Johnson is already one of the best 6th man in the league and he is only in his third season. Amazing 3p shooter and good defender.

These two players (+fillers, probably Saric and Jalen Smith) would be fair value for Embiid (forget picks) BUT I wouldn't do it.

Embiid would change our system and we need Book and CP3 to have the keys on this team. It is working and we are favorites in the West to go again to the Finals this season.

Embiid not a top 10 player?? He’s been top 10 essentially since his second season. There is a reason he’s been all nab 2nd team 3 out of last 4 season. Really should be all nba 1st team in 2018 and 2019 except he gets dinged for not playing enough games. Embiid the last two seasons has been playing in the top 4-6 range. Just look at sixers record with embiid and without embiid. This season alone they are 21-9 with embiid. And 3-8 without embiid. And this is all without ben Simmons. And it’s been embiid record since he’s played.

Let’s not kid yourself. Cp3 is the key to the suns team. Than booker. Cp3 takes so so okc team to playoffs. Cp3 is the one who makes the suns go. In the nba. You need the dominant wing/primary ball handler to wing a lot of games. Embiid doesn’t even have that.

Embiid is better on defense. Sure he’s been take more plays off these days. But just his presence on the defensive end changes opponent approach to attacking the rim. And again this is without the best perimeter defender in Simmons all season. Just look at sixers defense with and without embiid the last 6 seasons. He’s better on offense. Ayton is not a great center. He’s an above average center. He would have been maxed out by now especially after last season.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#31 » by Saberestar » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:16 pm

kuclas wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Embiid not a top 10 player?? He’s been top 10 essentially since his second season. There is a reason he’s been all nab 2nd team 3 out of last 4 season. Really should be all nba 1st team in 2018 and 2019 except he gets dinged for not playing enough games. Embiid the last two seasons has been playing in the top 4-6 range. Just look at sixers record with embiid and without embiid. This season alone they are 21-9 with embiid. And 3-8 without embiid. And this is all without ben Simmons. And it’s been embiid record since he’s played.

Let’s not kid yourself. Cp3 is the key to the suns team. Than booker. Cp3 takes so so okc team to playoffs. Cp3 is the one who makes the suns go. In the nba. You need the dominant wing/primary ball handler to wing a lot of games. Embiid doesn’t even have that.

Embiid is better on defense. Sure he’s been take more plays off these days. But just his presence on the defensive end changes opponent approach to attacking the rim. And again this is without the best perimeter defender in Simmons all season. Just look at sixers defense with and without embiid the last 6 seasons. He’s better on offense. Ayton is not a great center. He’s an above average center. He would have been maxed out by now especially after last season.

Personally I would prefer at least 10 players over Embiid.

Top 5? Do you think that he is better than any of Giannis, Curry, LeBron, Jokic or Durant? I guarantee you that I don't.

Regarding Ayton...he is around 5 years younger and is super healthy. He is already a borderline All Star and he keeps improving. 17 points and 11 boards per game and he is a great defender.

Personally I am not sure about Embiid being better than Ayton on defense. Ayton can defend pretty well in the perimeter and is more agile and mobile than Embiid. It is close.

Offensively Embiid is better for now, no doubt, but CP3 and Booker's usage wouldn't be the same with Embiid on the Suns in Ayton's place. And the Suns would lose Cam Johnson too. Too many changes when they things are working perfectly for the Suns.

All in all I wouldn't make the trade even without any pick involved but I understand Sixers fans too.
kuclas
General Manager

Post#32 » by kuclas » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:48 pm

Saberestar wrote:
kuclas wrote:
Saberestar wrote:Now Embiid is a Top 5 player? To me he is not even Top 10.

Top 5? Do you think that he is better than any of Giannis, Curry, LeBron, Jokic or Durant? I guarantee you that I don't.

Regarding Ayton...he is around 5 years younger and is super healthy. He is already a borderline All Star and he keeps improving. 17 points and 11 boards per game and he is a great defender.

Personally I am not sure about Embiid being better than Ayton on defense. Ayton can defend pretty well in the perimeter and is more agile and mobile than Embiid. It is close.

Offensively Embiid is better for now, no doubt, but CP3 and Booker's usage wouldn't be the same with Embiid on the Suns in Ayton's place. And the Suns would lose Cam Johnson too. Too many changes when they things are working perfectly for the Suns.

All in all I wouldn't make the trade even without any pick involved but I understand Sixers fans too.

It’s not sixers fans. 99% of sane fans would take embiid over ayton the next 5 seasons.

Think about it. Why didn’t the suns max out Ayton?

Almost all of Ayton points are at or near the painted area. He doesn’t create his own offense. And you think it’s an even trade?

Again. It’s his 4th year in the league. He hasn’t shown me anything that warrants game changing superstar status. And that’s why the suns don’t want to max him out. He would essentially be the third option on a max contract with suns and that’s a problem for the suns.

Suns are very fortunate to have cp3 healthy. I don’t wish any players injuries but just would like to see suns play 10-15 games without cp3 and see how they work. It won’t be pretty.
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,776

Post#33 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:51 pm

Embiid is an absolutely elite defender. There is zero case Ayton is in his league defensively. What is happening in this thread right now lol? How are people unaware how impactful Embiid is?
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
kuclas
General Manager

Post#34 » by kuclas » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:52 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Embiid is an absolutely elite defender. There is zero case Ayton is in his league defensively. What is happening in this thread right now lol? How are people unaware how impactful Embiid is?

You put ayton on sixers team. Even with ayton playing all the games. Sixers would not be 24-17. They would be 17-24 at best. Likely 13-28. That’s embiid impact.

Embiid is 21-9 with this current roster. The team is 3-8 without embiid.

They focus on sixers playoff failures. And while embiid soldiers a lot of the blame. He’s been fantastic the last couple of playoff runs. Sixers just don’t have an elite wing or even a capable point guard shooting more than 5 feet outside the paint. Embiid has to generate his own offense from 20 feet outside the paint. Ayton can’t do that.

That’s why ayton is absolutely dependent on cp3. Embiid doesn’t need cp3 to be impactful. Just image cp3 with embiid plus booker. That’s a championship team for the next 2 seasons. And you take that risk any day. And embiid with booker means the championship window is 5 years even without cp3.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#35 » by jcsunsfan » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:59 pm

Neither team would do this.
Jay_Sizzle
Senior
And1: 527

Post#36 » by Jay_Sizzle » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:13 pm

Suns need their center to constantly set picks on offense and challenge/switch the p/r on defense. Their entire lineup is built around the center doing just that.

If they switch to an Embiid-led isolation game on offense -- there is no guarantee they will even be very good. Suns currently have the best record in the league. Too easy to destroy the chemistry for an NBA finals team that is working for the second year in a row. Remember Ayton in his short time has already: gone farther than Embiid in playoffs,and played more games per year him annually.

There is no guarantee that adding a player like Embiid works on Phoenix. Suns are a young team that shares the ball really well. Adding a ball-dominant player that likes to blame others is not a lock to work. Think of Westbrook on LAL -- the team is worse with him playing (even though the "talent" level is higher with Westbrook than Harrell , KCP and Kuzma
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#37 » by Saberestar » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:41 pm

kuclas wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
kuclas wrote:

It’s not sixers fans. 99% of sane fans would take embiid over ayton the next 5 seasons.

Think about it. Why didn’t the suns max out Ayton?

Almost all of Ayton points are at or near the painted area. He doesn’t create his own offense. And you think it’s an even trade?

Again. It’s his 4th year in the league. He hasn’t shown me anything that warrants game changing superstar status. And that’s why the suns don’t want to max him out. He would essentially be the third option on a max contract with suns and that’s a problem for the suns.

Suns are very fortunate to have cp3 healthy. I don’t wish any players injuries but just would like to see suns play 10-15 games without cp3 and see how they work. It won’t be pretty.

The Suns didn't want to give Ayton a 5 year max but they want to give him a max for less years and they will do it in the next offseason. James Jones is on the record saying it.

He is a RFA and he is happy on the team, not a big deal that he didn't get the extension.

Ayton is 23 years old. He is much more than a finisher in the paint, he can score in a lot of ways.

His usage is low, and that is nice for a C who plays next to an amazing backcourt. Book and Cp3 are the engineers that create our offense and works nicely.

And it's not about trading Ayton for Embiid. It is about trading Ayton AND Cam Johnson. Cam has 6th MOTY potential on a rookie contract.

Taking into account their age, health, salaries, chemistry, skills and potential I prefer Ayton+Cam Johnson over Embiid.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,311

Post#38 » by DirtyDez » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:51 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Embiid is an absolutely elite defender. There is zero case Ayton is in his league defensively. What is happening in this thread right now lol? How are people unaware how impactful Embiid is?

Chris Paul would physically assault James Jones if he turned this deal down. He wants a championship.

But this is stupid cause contenders don’t trade their best player.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,490

Post#39 » by Patsfan1081 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:32 pm

OP is nuts.

The “system” argument doesnt really apply when you’re talking about a top ten player. EMBIID/Booker/Paul would be dominant with any supporting cast. No chance Philly moves on from Embiid at this point unless the obvious….
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,490

Post#40 » by Patsfan1081 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:34 pm

jcsunsfan wrote:Neither team would do this.

As a fan of neither I see no way Phoenix would turn that down.some of these takes like Ayton being a better defender are ridiculous to be honest……coming from a Celtics fan too.

Return to Trades and Transactions