What needs to be added? NYK / SAC

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

I_Love_This_Game!!
Pro Prospect
And1: 70

What needs to be added? NYK / SAC 

Post#1 » by I_Love_This_Game!! » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:42 pm

NYK trade / SAC receive: Julius Randle

SAC trade / NYK trade: Davion Mitchell, Marvin Bagley, 2023 1st round pick (top 20 protected)

Why this trade works for The Knicks: After acquiring Cam Reddish, the team realizes they overachieved last year and are better off embracing a youth movement. While Bagley offers very little upside at this point, the key piece the team acquires here is Mitchell. He is a young PG who can grow with the core. Also, it is addition by subtraction as they won’t have to run their offense through Randle anymore and get out of his contract. Their new lineup:

PG…Mitchell…Rose…Quigley
SG…Barrett…Burks
SF…Reddish…Fournier
PF…Toppin…Bagley
C…Mitchell…Noel

Why this trade works for the Kings: Despite his flaws and contract, Randle is the best player in the deal. Adding him to a team with strong guard play should elevate them to a playoff team. Their new lineup:

PG…Fox…Halliburton
SG…Halliburton…Hield
SF…Barnes…Harkless
PF…Randle…Jones
C…Holmes…Thompson

What needs to be added to make this a win/win?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
My Dream Team
PG...Magic Johnson...Steph Curry
SG...Michael Jordan...Kobe Bryant
SF...Larry Bird...LeBron James
PF...Tim Duncan...Charles Barkley
C...Kareem Abdul-Jabbar...Wilt Chamberlain
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,275

Re: What needs to be added? NYK / SAC 

Post#2 » by Godaddycurse » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:22 pm

Doubtful Randle's play this year is elevating any team. Definitely wouldn't pay 2 1sts for him at this point
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,568

Post#3 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:17 pm

I don't mind adding Randle if the team is hell bent on moving forward instead of taking a step back.

But my offer is Bagley + Tristan + 2022 1st and thats it.
patman66
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,361

Post#4 » by patman66 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:59 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:I don't mind adding Randle if the team is hell bent on moving forward instead of taking a step back.

That is a solid deal for NYK, a top 6 pick.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#5 » by LightTheBeam » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:11 am

patman66 wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:I don't mind adding Randle if the team is hell bent on moving forward instead of taking a step back.

Possibly. Would hope that adding Randle, lillard/george getting injured would propel the kings out of the bottom 10, but who knows.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using RealGM mobile app
patman66
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,361

Post#6 » by patman66 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:13 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
patman66 wrote:

Possibly. Would hope that adding Randle, lillard/george getting injured would propel the kings out of the bottom 10, but who knows.

I don't see randal as a player that is going to make that positive of an impact just dropping in middle of the season. I don't see him as a plug and play guy but more of a guy whose game has to be almost schemed around to get his biggest impact. Regardless, I don't see his value to the kings as that high.
Rockazoids
Head Coach
And1: 1,995

Post#7 » by Rockazoids » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:12 pm

I don't know about this. I think Randle is worth more than Mitchell & at pick 21 or later in 2023. Protection on the pick need to be
changed and be the 2022 pick because Mitchell hasn't showed nothing yet. Right now he is no better than McBride.
Follow the science not some internet physician & get your shots.
Kerrsed wrote:Just thinking of this deal makes my ass hurt!

turk3d wrote: you're about to make me go old rem on you

GoNYK1288 wrote:You better clench your butt cheeks because the GB is about to have at you.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,002

Post#8 » by OGSactownballer » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:18 pm

No way you get a current rookie lotto pick and another first for Randle.

And honestly I don’t think Randle would fit our roster. We are best as a running team and Randle is strictly traditional half court and needs to be the focal point of the offense to produce.

We don’t have the size or defenders to play a slow down half court game and it completely undermines the strengths of our guard line.
kb02
Bench Warmer
And1: 631

Post#9 » by kb02 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:21 pm

Rockazoids wrote:I don't know about this. I think Randle is worth more than Mitchell & at pick 21 or later in 2023. Protection on the pick need to be
changed and be the 2022 pick because Mitchell hasn't showed nothing yet. Right now he is no better than McBride.

Keep Randall.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Post#10 » by blind prophet » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:22 pm

Boy I hope we don't do something like this. With our luck we would be in the lottery and miss out on something more concrete long term.

I'm going to pass.

Also the QO for Bagley should be cheaper right? Small chance we can get more later or actually keep him. I like Davion too. Maybe he'd look better if he were drafted 20. But a cheap budget defensive guard for awhile.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#11 » by blind prophet » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:23 pm

Oh top 20 protected?

That makes it more tempting, but who knows when that would convey. We were handcuffed with the old Hickson contract. Not a good place to be.
Rockazoids
Head Coach

Post#12 » by Rockazoids » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:29 pm

blind prophet wrote:Boy I hope we don't do something like this. With our luck we would be in the lottery and miss out on something more concrete long term.

I'm going to pass.

Also the QO for Bagley should be cheaper right? Small chance we can get more later or actually keep him. I like Davion too. Maybe he'd look better if he were drafted 20. But a cheap budget defensive guard for awhile.

How has Davion been on defense so far? Stat never tell the whole story.

GoNYK1288 wrote:You better clench your butt cheeks because the GB is about to have at you.
Rockazoids
Head Coach

Post#13 » by Rockazoids » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:29 pm

kb02 wrote:
Rockazoids wrote:I don't know about this. I think Randle is worth more than Mitchell & at pick 21 or later in 2023. Protection on the pick need to be

Keep Randall.

Ok

blind prophet
RealGM

Post#14 » by blind prophet » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:33 pm

Rockazoids wrote:
blind prophet wrote:Boy I hope we don't do something like this. With our luck we would be in the lottery and miss out on something more concrete long term.

I'm going to pass.

Well first I'm sure everyone on the Kings looks worse than their advanced stats, as a franchise we don't play good D. Have stretches sure where we look ok.

He's been great. You can really see it when you compare him to our other guards. He's undersized but doesn't get bullied. Even at the half court line you'll often see other teams guards with their back to him to protect the ball.

A pest.

I'm going to wager he'll have a long NBA career as a solid defensive off the bench guard.
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#15 » by WargamesX » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:34 pm

Yeah that protection is trash. I could understand 1-10 but 1-20 is too limiting when the rest of the contract is an expiring and a rookie PG averaging 8/3.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#16 » by LightTheBeam » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:36 pm

patman66 wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
patman66 wrote:

I don't see randal as a player that is going to make that positive of an impact just dropping in middle of the season. I don't see him as a plug and play guy but more of a guy whose game has to be almost schemed around to get his biggest impact. Regardless, I don't see his value to the kings as that high.

Even if you believe that. The Kings pick is currently slated at #10.

Hard to imagine swapping Bagley for Randle makes the Kings worse. Who knows.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,002

Post#17 » by OGSactownballer » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:41 pm

blind prophet wrote:
Rockazoids wrote:

I'm going to pass.

Well first I'm sure everyone on the Kings looks worse than their advanced stats, as a franchise we don't play good D. Have stretches sure where we look ok.

He's been great. You can really see it when you compare him to our other guards. He's undersized but doesn't get bullied. Even at the half court line you'll often see other teams guards with their back to him to protect the ball.

A pest.

I'm going to wager he'll have a long NBA career as a solid defensive off the bench guard.

Pretty much what I was going to say but I’ll add that he has come in already knowing how to use his body, footwork and arm length to properly defend. He also has an innate knowledge of utilizing court structure (baseline/sideline other players) as an added defensive asset to guarding his man. His hands are incredibly fast.

On the other side his personal offense is absolutely a work in progress. Learning a few little tricks when going to the rim such as protecting the balm with his body to draw contact calls - as well as simply getting past his rookie year and getting those calls - as well as finding his best shooting stance (he is much better in a set shot than motion) will help that. As far as acting as a lead guard and ball delivery he is already there just again needs to learn to be aware of the faster defenders in the NBA and coaching schemes that hide weaker ones by having them zone and haunt the passing lanes.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,457

Post#18 » by jayjaysee » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:11 pm

I’m not ready to call Mitchell a bust or just a defensive guard. Rookie is a rookie.

I’d pass for Sac. Six months ago this trade would have looked like a steal, but any other version of Randle besides last season’s isn’t worth the OP.

One first and expirings seems fair.

Don’t think NY would really target Mitchell anyways though.
Pelon chingon
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,161

Post#19 » by Pelon chingon » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:14 pm

I dont have the slightest intrest in Randle for Sacramento and I like him as a player just not the direction the Kings should go. Kings need defenders and draft capital.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,770

Post#20 » by BoogieTime » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:53 pm

Mitchell would immediately become a top 2 asset on the Knicks and Randle isn't even positive value at this juncture

He's not coming close to the Kings 202

Return to Trades and Transactions