Joel Embiid
37%

Total votes: 19

durantbird
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,167

Doncic vs Embiid 

Post#1 » by durantbird » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:30 pm

You get one of them on a 5 year deal. Who are you taking?
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,683

Re: Doncic vs Embiid 

Post#2 » by Johnny Firpo » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:27 pm

Doncic pretty easily for me with the "next five years" disclaimer. If you ask for this season and the next, probably Embiid, but 5 years? It's a no brainer, Luka could still get better, get in better shape, and he'll literally be in his prime/peak for the entirety of the five years. whereas Embiid is 28 in two months, could significantly slow down and lose most of his defensive impact as soon as 2024. He is already injury-prone, and I think his defensive impact has already gotten worse. Luka for sure.
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst
And1: 2,748

Post#3 » by LukaTheGOAT » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:50 pm

Luka

I think his performances against a great Clipper D in the PS were pretty dang, remarkable, the closer you inspect them.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,649

Post#4 » by GSP » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:15 pm

LukaTheGOAT wrote:Luka

I think his performances against a great Clipper D in the PS were pretty dang, remarkable, the closer you inspect them.

Mitchell averaged 35/5/5 on .598ts against the same team. Not saying Lukas performance wasn't great but the Clippers perimeter defense is better on paper than it is in actuality. And a lot of Lukas damage was pick and roll bum hunting mismatches like Reggie/Bev and Zu.
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst

Post#5 » by LukaTheGOAT » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:44 pm

GSP wrote:

Mitchell averaged 35/5/5 on .598ts against the same team. Not saying Lukas performance wasn't great but the Clippers perimeter defense is better on paper than it is in actuality. And a lot of Lukas damage was pick and roll bum hunting mismatches like Reggie/Bev and Zu.

Mitchell has killed everyone the past 2 PS. Besides the matchup you just noted, Mitchell averaged 36.3 pts and 4.9 assists on 69.6 TS% against the Nuggets in 20. Against the Grizzlies, Mitchell was on somewhat of a minutes restriction due to his ankle injury, yet he still averaged 28.5 points and 5.8 assists in only 29.9 minutes per game with a 60.9 TS%.

Mitchell was #1 in PS Offensive EPM and PIPM in 2020 and was near the top in 21 (for EPM). Among guys with at least 250 minutes played in each of the last 2 PS runs, Mitchell's 2020 and 2021 PS runs are #1 and #2 respectively among the entire NBA. I think Mitchell has kind of been a menace against everyone.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,649

Post#6 » by GSP » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:00 am

LukaTheGOAT wrote:
GSP wrote:

Mitchell has killed everyone the past 2 PS. Besides the matchup you just noted, Mitchell averaged 36.3 pts and 4.9 assists on 69.6 TS% against the Nuggets in 20. Against the Grizzlies, Mitchell was on somewhat of a minutes restriction due to his ankle injury, yet he still averaged 28.5 points and 5.8 assists in only 29.9 minutes per game with a 60.9 TS%.

Mitchell was #1 in PS Offensive EPM and PIPM in 2020 and was near the top in 21 (for EPM). Among guys with at least 250 minutes played in each of the last 2 PS runs, Mitchell's 2020 and 2021 PS runs are #1 and #2 respectively among the entire NBA. I think Mitchell has kind of been a menace against everyone.

Good point but I think Denver series there's an asterisk as their perimeter defense was absolute poop without Gary Harris. When he came back later in the series Mitchell was held in check
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst

Post#7 » by LukaTheGOAT » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:08 am

GSP wrote:
LukaTheGOAT wrote:
GSP wrote:

Good point but I think Denver series there's an asterisk as their perimeter defense was absolute poop without Gary Harris. When he came back later in the series Mitchell was held in check

I'm a bit uncertain about the Harris point. He came for the final 2 games. In Game 6, Donovan Mitchell had 44 points on 78.3 TS% and had a 20.3 BPM and was a +2 in the game. In game 7, he probably had his worse game of the series, having 22 points on 22 shots, but you could potentially argue it was just an off shooting game as he was 2 of 8 from 3...and he actually was a +3.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,703

Post#8 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:00 am

Embiid. I know the health risks. But he's the better player by a clear margin and figures to be for a few more years barring injury. And I think the edge is enough where I take the risk his health holds up.

Embiid is a beast.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
feyki
Veteran
And1: 447

Post#9 » by feyki » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:27 am

GSP wrote:

Mitchell has been a top 10 player the last two years. But still far away from Doncic's line. Besides 25 points loss, Doncic played with 38,5 PPG, 11 APG and with +3 rTS and +9 rORTG. It's Magic,Oscar level of offensive impact(actually it's better but with adjust).
“The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe that you might block every shot.”

Return to Player Comparisons