ImageImageImageImage

Fultz's 3PT shot (Video from 1/12/22)

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,515

Re: Fultz's 3PT shot (Video from 1/12/22) 

Post#41 » by shadrock » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:54 am

thelead wrote:
Audi wrote:Serious question: if he had made the ONE shot, would your opinion shifted in even the slightest?

One shot. Dude who tweeted that vid is trolling fans. Can’t believe we are even discussing it.

Who cares if he made it. Most of us are looking at the form.

Exactly. Form is terrible. Looks like his injury is impacting the mechanics still, which is exactly what we didnt want to see.
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,515

Post#42 » by shadrock » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:55 am

SOUL wrote:I mean, he is who he is. If he can distribute the ball and get into the lane and work the mid-range while adding threes once in a while, and be able to hit OPEN threes, even that is solid. I don't have any grand illusions about Fultz being anything other than a solid guard. Just showing that he has functional athleticism after his injury is the biggest thing for me when he comes back.

The hope we all had was this this wasnt who he was, though...
rusoopE
Sixth Man
And1: 678

Post#43 » by rusoopE » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:39 am

Is the nba 3pt line distance an issue with fultz motion aswell? He never shot that ugly from inside the arch. At least in orlando. Why cant he shoot it the same way behind it? Btw it makes me sad watching the ot video :(
"It's like 60 minutes on acid" - David Byrne

Vuc and Isaac supporter
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Post#44 » by fendilim » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:58 am

shadrock wrote:
SOUL wrote:I mean, he is who he is. If he can distribute the ball and get into the lane and work the mid-range while adding threes once in a while, and be able to hit OPEN threes, even that is solid. I don't have any grand illusions about Fultz being anything other than a solid guard. Just showing that he has functional athleticism after his injury is the biggest thing for me when he comes back.

The hope we all had was this this wasnt who he was, though...

His TOS isnt repairable to begin with. Never understood why people expected his shot mechanic to be better.
AaronB
Bench Warmer
And1: 621

Post#45 » by AaronB » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:26 am

His shot is probably going to be really bad, but I would bet on him in any dart tournament.

I don't think that is what anyone wants to hear though.
j_n
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,684

Post#46 » by j_n » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:09 pm

rusoopE wrote:Is the nba 3pt line distance an issue with fultz motion aswell? He never shot that ugly from inside the arch. At least in orlando. Why cant he shoot it the same way behind it? Btw it makes me sad watching the ot video :(

It probably is, he can't reach the basket with his mid range form, and I guess he can't shoot with his old three point shot form because of the tos.

In a recent video he described how he would lose the feeling in his hands in certain angles which is why he had the double clutch free throw.

Regardless, in opposition to what most people around here believe, I think Fultz can be an all star caliber player even if he never develops a good three point shot, the guy has too much talent, he'll get there barring injuries.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,149

Post#47 » by Knightro » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:02 pm

j_n wrote:Regardless, in opposition to what most people around here believe, I think Fultz can be an all star caliber player even if he never develops a good three point shot, the guy has too much talent, he'll get there barring injuries.

Not trying to be harsh, but there's like a 0.0% chance of Fultz being an all-star if he can't shoot.

He's not *that* great at everything else like prime Rondo or early career Jason Kidd or even Ben Simmons. Those guys were good to awesome at everything that wasn't shooting.

Fultz isn't that. He's pretty good at a lot of things things, but there's a huge gap between pretty good and great.
AaronB
Bench Warmer

Post#48 » by AaronB » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:18 am

Knightro wrote:
j_n wrote:Regardless, in opposition to what most people around here believe, I think Fultz can be an all star caliber player even if he never develops a good three point shot, the guy has too much talent, he'll get there barring injuries.

Not trying to be harsh, but there's like a 0.0% chance of Fultz being an all-star if he can't shoot.

He's not *that* great at everything else like prime Rondo or early career Jason Kidd or even Ben Simmons. Those guys were good to awesome at everything that wasn't shooting.

Fultz isn't that. He's pretty good at a lot of things things, but there's a huge gap between pretty good and great.

Fultz can shoot, he just can't shoot the 3. DeRozan is a 4-time all-star without being able to shoot the 3 (much improved this year).

His form out to 20 feet is normally really good. If he can do just that then I think he will have a great career as long as he focuses on defense.
SS_MagicMark
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33

Post#49 » by SS_MagicMark » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:53 am

swarlesbarkley wrote:
Magic_Kingdom wrote:Man that's a low release. Maybe his timing was off, but it looked like he pushed it. Not a good sign, but as others have said, there wasn't a legitimate reason to expect anything different.

Who was that Wake Forest kid that played for the Hawks for several years that had a low release 3-point shot? He would make them though. Maybe Fultz could model his shot after him. What was that guy's name?

Jeff Teague?
Josh Childress?

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app
fendilim
RealGM

Post#50 » by fendilim » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:08 am

AaronB wrote:
Knightro wrote:

Fultz can shoot, he just can't shoot the 3. DeRozan is a 4-time all-star without being able to shoot the 3 (much improved this year).

His form out to 20 feet is normally really good. If he can do just that then I think he will have a great career as long as he focuses on defense.

The game has changed and derozan’s lack of 3point range made him lost in the conversation before he added a 3pointer. Now he is even in the lower tier of mvp conversation.
AaronB
Bench Warmer

Post#51 » by AaronB » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:57 am

fendilim wrote:
AaronB wrote:
Knightro wrote:

The game has changed and derozan’s lack of 3point range made him lost in the conversation before he added a 3pointer. Now he is even in the lower tier of mvp conversation.

Go look at his stats, he is a 4 time all-star without a 3 point shot. He is in the MVP consideration with a 3 point shot, somehow developed in the last year. That still does not obviate the fact he was a multiple all-star without a 3 point shot.

The bottom line is that Fultz can be very successful with elite 2 point perimeter shooting. The question is can he be elite at 2 point perimeter shooting.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#52 » by Skin » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:13 am

How do Fultz's critics feel about Jimmy Butler's perimeter shooting? Or Giannis?

The overreaction here is GRAND. I LOVE the haters spewing crap right now. Fultz has other strengths that he can rely on to be successful. At least he's not like Westbrook and takes volume shots that he knows can't make.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
fendilim
RealGM

Post#53 » by fendilim » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:29 am

AaronB wrote:
fendilim wrote:
AaronB wrote:

Go look at his stats, he is a 4 time all-star without a 3 point shot. He is in the MVP consideration with a 3 point shot, somehow developed in the last year. That still does not obviate the fact he was a multiple all-star without a 3 point shot.

The bottom line is that Fultz can be very successful with elite 2 point perimeter shooting. The question is can he be elite at 2 point perimeter shooting.
yes that is possible, but the chances of that happening is unlikely. Fultz’s mid-range game isnt even elite, nor is it even comparable to demar. Also with demar’s lack of range, he is stil more respectable from the 3point line. Not every team respects Fultz’s ability to shoot 3s, what more in big games.
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,499

Post#54 » by jezzerinho » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:01 am

Skin wrote:How do Fultz's critics feel about Jimmy Butler's perimeter shooting? Or Giannis?

The overreaction here is GRAND. I LOVE the haters spewing crap right now. Fultz has other strengths that he can rely on to be successful. At least he's not like Westbrook and takes volume shots that he knows can't make.

I actually think Fultz' biggest obstacle is that he doesn't back himself enough. So many times you saw Markelle come out early in games and absolutely dominate driving to the rim, only to pull the brakes and go sit in the corner while Fournier ran PnR sets. Fultz needs to learn to punish teams that don't respect his threat until he's neutralized or it opens space up for others to get better looks.
j_n
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,684

Post#55 » by j_n » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:40 pm

fendilim wrote:
AaronB wrote:
fendilim wrote:The game has changed and derozan’s lack of 3point range made him lost in the conversation before he added a 3pointer. Now he is even in the lower tier of mvp conversation.

yes that is possible, but the chances of that happening is unlikely. Fultz’s mid-range game isnt even elite, nor is it even comparable to demar. Also with demar’s lack of range, he is stil more respectable from the 3point line. Not every team respects Fultz’s ability to shoot 3s, what more in big games.

I'm sure Demar didn't enter the league as an elite mid range shooter, you are basing your view on Fultz's shot on basically his rookie year
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,094

Post#56 » by tiderulz » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:13 pm

AaronB wrote:
fendilim wrote:
AaronB wrote:

Derozan has a killer midrange game. Fultz does not.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,955

Post#57 » by Xatticus » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:21 pm

tiderulz wrote:
AaronB wrote:
fendilim wrote:The game has changed and derozan’s lack of 3point range made him lost in the conversation before he added a 3pointer. Now he is even in the lower tier of mvp conversation.

DeRozan's mid-range game isn't really what makes him good. His ability to get to the free throw line is. There just isn't anybody in the league whose mid-range game is enough to carry them. Fultz needs to add something significant if he is going to be a volume scorer. If the 3-point shot is broken, that's one huge avenue closed.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,588

Post#58 » by Skybox » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:26 pm

jezzerinho wrote:
Skin wrote:How do Fultz's critics feel about Jimmy Butler's perimeter shooting? Or Giannis?

I actually think Fultz' biggest obstacle is that he doesn't back himself enough. So many times you saw Markelle come out early in games and absolutely dominate driving to the rim, only to pull the brakes and go sit in the corner while Fournier ran PnR sets. Fultz needs to learn to punish teams that don't respect his threat until he's neutralized or it opens space up for others to get better looks.

I always felt like his “glimpses” were often more impressive than those of the 3 or 4 guys ahead of him, just less frequent. I was really looking forward to seeing what he would do with a true green light (and expectations every night) after the trades of everyone ahead of him in the pecking order…same with Isaac, to some extent. Hope we get to see them spread their wings.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,588

Post#59 » by Skybox » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:30 pm

Xatticus wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
AaronB wrote:

DeRozan's mid-range game isn't really what makes him good. His ability to get to the free throw line is. There just isn't anybody in the league whose mid-range game is enough to carry them. Fultz needs to add something significant if he is going to be a volume scorer. If the 3-point shot is broken, that's one huge avenue closed.

Without going to the archives, I feel it’s safe to say that getting to the line is REQUIRED to enter the upper stratosphere of players. I’m confident that the top 20 scorers probably also are near the top of free throw attempts…it’s just easy money. Fultz (and Suggs and Franz) are all capable of providing more of that than any of the last regimes here. Could be big.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,506

Post#60 » by Bergmaniac » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:54 pm

But Fultz has never been good at getting to the line in the NBA. This is one of the main reasons I find it baffling when so many people here claim he's a great slasher. His free throw drawing rate wasn't much higher than Vucevic's dreadful one in his only healthy season. Even Fournier and Terrence "Why drive when I can chuck a jumpshot every time I get the ball" Ross had higher FTr than him.

Again with these pointless comparisons, why don't you add Shaq to the list too? Butler and Giannis play different positions, they are bigger, they are excellent defenders who get to the rim a ton. Fultz is a PG who is an average defender at best at the least impactful defensive position and doesn't get to the line much. How many PGs in the the current NBA have positive impact without at least a decent 3 point shot?

Return to Orlando Magic