76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,340

Re: Around The League: 2021-2022 Season 1.0 

Post#561 » by 76ciology » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:24 pm

76ciology wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Yup. You’ll see. Even coach Jim Lynam and Marc Jackson liked it. While Doc Rivers, who knows basketball than anyone of us here, run it.

If you know basketball it makes sense.

Ok, explain how it makes sense. And don't just cite twin towers set ups from previous eras, tell me what the advantage is. Because it seems to me you're sacrificing perimeter defense (and rim protection if Embiid is the guy you're asking to guard 4s), offensive spacing, and your transition game (both ways), all so that you can get a rebounding edge and a possible post mismatch for an inferior post player.

Hell, people freak out about fit with Simmons... Pairing Jo with Drummond gives you all the same problems (and then some) and none of the advantages.

I’ll give you the reasons, you’ll give me counter reasons and all will be theoretical if it will work or dont.

Just saying.. people were like “you’re crazy, we’re not gonna run a drummond and embiid frontcourt”. And look where we are.

*i repeat. Im not saying we play big as default.

So it sounds like even Jojo approve this

“We have been talking about it a lot,” said Rivers. “We had that practice the day after Christmas. It was a fun practice where the five bigs played the five guards in a scrimmage. It was hilarious watching the bigs handle the ball, but they won. But we like that lineup because Drum can do so many things with the ball as far as passing and Joel is Joel.”

Drummond had four assists as did Embiid, and the Sixers were actually a plus-5 with that lineup.

“When teams try to trap now, you duck Drummond, that is a big target,” Rivers added. “We didn’t have any guard play; we were down 10 I think. I said, ‘No guard play, let’s go big. We can’t go small. Let’s go huge.’ I thought it had a big impact on the game. Joel was so excited because he has been wanting it and when we did it, he was over the moon about it so it’s a lineup we can use.

With Embiid and Drummond on the floor, the Sixers worked their way back into the game. It is something Embiid would like to see again.

“They were killing us on the glass, so I thought that was a great adjustment to kind of put some size out there because their two bigs were long and they kept getting to those 50/50 balls so I was excited,” said Embiid. “It was great and I think, in the future, that’s something that we should really look into because it really puts a lot of pressure on the opposite team.”

The good thing about the lineup is despite the two of them being big men, both have the versatility to play on the perimeter. Embiid can shoot and handle the rock, and Drummond is a good passer. They played off each other a bit.

“It was great,” Embiid finished. “I think that’s something that we can always use to our advantage especially because these days, I don’t really play like a center anymore. I feel like you can put me anywhere on the floor and I’m gonna figure it out from 1 through 5 so I thought it was great.”

Maybe we know more than Embiid and Doc. I dont know.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,761

Post#562 » by mjkvol » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:30 pm

76ciology wrote:

In certain situations, yes. Use that as a regular rotation, teams will adjust to it and pick it apart.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#563 » by youngcrev » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:28 pm

76ciology wrote:
76ciology wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
Ok, explain how it makes sense. And don't just cite twin towers set ups from previous eras, tell me what the advantage is. Because it seems to me you're sacrificing perimeter defense (and rim protection if Embiid is the guy you're asking to guard 4s), offensive spacing, and your transition game (both ways), all so that you can get a rebounding edge and a possible post mismatch for an inferior post player.

Hell, people freak out about fit with Simmons... Pairing Jo with Drummond gives you all the same problems (and then some) and none of the advantages.

I’ll give you the reasons, you’ll give me counter reasons and all will be theoretical if it will work or dont.

Just saying.. people were like “you’re crazy, we’re not gonna run a drummond and embiid frontcourt”. And look where we are.

*i repeat. Im not saying we play big as default.

So it sounds like even Jojo approve this

“We have been talking about it a lot,” said Rivers. “We had that practice the day after Christmas. It was a fun practice where the five bigs played the five guards in a scrimmage. It was hilarious watching the bigs handle the ball, but they won. But we like that lineup because Drum can do so many things with the ball as far as passing and Joel is Joel.”

Drummond had four assists as did Embiid, and the Sixers were actually a plus-5 with that lineup.

“When teams try to trap now, you duck Drummond, that is a big target,” Rivers added. “We didn’t have any guard play; we were down 10 I think. I said, ‘No guard play, let’s go big. We can’t go small. Let’s go huge.’ I thought it had a big impact on the game. Joel was so excited because he has been wanting it and when we did it, he was over the moon about it so it’s a lineup we can use.

With Embiid and Drummond on the floor, the Sixers worked their way back into the game. It is something Embiid would like to see again.

“They were killing us on the glass, so I thought that was a great adjustment to kind of put some size out there because their two bigs were long and they kept getting to those 50/50 balls so I was excited,” said Embiid. “It was great and I think, in the future, that’s something that we should really look into because it really puts a lot of pressure on the opposite team.”

The good thing about the lineup is despite the two of them being big men, both have the versatility to play on the perimeter. Embiid can shoot and handle the rock, and Drummond is a good passer. They played off each other a bit.

“It was great,” Embiid finished. “I think that’s something that we can always use to our advantage especially because these days, I don’t really play like a center anymore. I feel like you can put me anywhere on the floor and I’m gonna figure it out from 1 through 5 so I thought it was great.”

Which explains why we've seen so much of it...
76ciology
RealGM

Post#564 » by 76ciology » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:54 pm

Sixers Rebounding Stats:

-30th in total rebounds per game
-28th in total rebounding %
-30th in offensive rebounds per gm
-30th in offensive rebound %
-28th in team rebounds
-23rd in defensive rebounds per gm
-22nd in defensive rebounding %
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Monix
Pro Prospect
And1: 660

Post#565 » by Monix » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:17 pm

76ciology wrote:Sixers Rebounding Stats:

-28th in team rebounds

that's gonna happen when you regularly start 2 below average NBA athletes in Curry and Green

also, without the threat of Simmons team's aren't as wary of the break out the other way so can commit more toward chasing misses
76ciology
RealGM

Post#566 » by 76ciology » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:53 am

Monix wrote:
76ciology wrote:Sixers Rebounding Stats:

-28th in team rebounds

that's gonna happen when you regularly start 2 below average NBA athletes in Curry and Green

also, without the threat of Simmons team's aren't as wary of the break out the other way so can commit more toward chasing misses

Partly yes but Its mostly because of the 3-4 positions. You’re running with Green or Thybulle (SG) at 3 then you have weak rebounder/non physical PFs with Niang and Tobi at 4.

It’s ok to run a small backcourt. But we have probably the tiniest non physical 3-4 duo in the entire league.

Hornets played 4D chess against us the other night and it exposes us.

You can just have multiple guys run on transition because there’s no player on our team who hurt them on Orebs once embiid steps out to play defense or on long rebounds.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#567 » by 76ciology » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:56 am

To be a great defensive team you need to have size or physicality at 3-4 position or at 4-5 position.

Because PnR forces your big to step out and if he doesnt step out then its an open jumper and if he steps out, there should be a couple of forwards or another big who can rotate to the paint and protect the rim or grab the boards.

Utah Jazz has the same problem. Not much of an issue in regular season but always exposed in the playoffs.
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 803

Post#568 » by zaz102 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:29 pm

6 teams within 2.5 games of each other in the East. It'll be interesting to see where they all land in the second half of the season.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,471

Post#569 » by GoSixersBro » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:16 pm

What is everyone's thoughts on Jalen Brunson? Potential to be a starter on a competitive team? Would you want him in Philly?
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,749

Post#570 » by Stanford » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:09 am

I can't tell if we want the kings to start winning or keep losing. If they continue tonight's play they may be closer to a tank than a playoff push.
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#571 » by Tomjas » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:22 am

Stanford wrote:I can't tell if we want the kings to start winning or keep losing. If they continue tonight's play they may be closer to a tank than a playoff push.

They should be doing a full OKC tear down with anything and anyone being on the market with exception of Hali, 2022 pick and possibly Mitchell

Owner won’t do it though
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,371

Post#572 » by Eyeamok » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:24 am

Its amazing every game the 76ers win they win without their 2nd best player who is was an all star.
replacing his production with a 2nd year untested player and a next man up attitude. The team has been ravaged with covid. And yet here they are climbing up the standings in their conference. So writers or whoever is in charge of voting for an MVP candidates...yes its still early..but please put some respeck..yes respeck on Joel Embiids name.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
76ciology
RealGM

Post#573 » by 76ciology » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:04 pm

Read on Twitter
76ciology
RealGM

Post#574 » by 76ciology » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:21 pm

Another guy who i was high on in last year’s draft.

76ciology
RealGM

Post#575 » by 76ciology » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:04 pm

Read on Twitter

One of my fave players before haha
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,667

Post#576 » by Negrodamus » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:16 pm

76ciology wrote:Another guy who i was high on in last year’s draft.

Great AST%, OBPM, DBPM, FTr at Illinois. 75+% FT, 50+% 2FG. Was just short of the ideal 2 AST%, but later in the first it's something you can look past. 6'4 with a solid frame and athleticism.

The numbers were definitely there to suggest at least a role player in the NBA, at least from my metric.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#577 » by Kobblehead » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:00 pm

GoSixersBro wrote:What is everyone's thoughts on Jalen Brunson? Potential to be a starter on a competitive team? Would you want him in Philly?

I think he's best suited as a bench player. The two traits most teams look for in their ancillary starters are shooting and defense. Brunson doesn't shoot threes and he doesn't make plays defensively.

Would I want him, here? Nah, we have too many munchkins right now IMO.
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#578 » by Tomjas » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:25 am

Game changer

Read on Twitter
Sportfan73
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,315

Post#579 » by Sportfan73 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:50 am

Tomjas wrote:Game changer

Read on Twitter

More movement the better imo
76ciology
RealGM

Post#580 » by 76ciology » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:47 am

Kobblehead wrote:
GoSixersBro wrote:What is everyone's thoughts on Jalen Brunson? Potential to be a starter on a competitive team? Would you want him in Philly?

I think he's best suited as a bench player. The two traits most teams look for in their ancillary starters are shooting and defense. Brunson doesn't shoot threes and he doesn't make plays defensively.

Would I want him, here? Nah, we have too many munchkins right now IMO.

Too many guys who are opportunistic scorers than guys who can get buckets when they want to.

Maxey
Tobi
Seth

Because of redundancy, Brunson wont look that good on our team. And like Tobi, Brunson will just eat a chunk of those opportunistic buckets out of the 3 guys i mentioned which will likely hurt their game

Return to Philadelphia 76ers