My Lakers Rebuild

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

I_Love_This_Game!!
Pro Prospect
And1: 70

My Lakers Rebuild 

Post#1 » by I_Love_This_Game!! » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:25 pm

These trades will never happen because the Lakers would never trade LeBron. But, if I were them, this is what I’d do…

TRADE #1

LAL trades / PHI receives: LeBron James, Kendrick Nunn

PHI trades / LAL receives: Ben Simmons, Tyrese Maxey, Furkan Korkmaz

Why this trade works for Philly: James is old, but he is still playing at a high level. His championship experience and play could help elevate the Sixers to a championship.

TRADE #2

LAL trades / GSW receives: Anthony Davis, Carmelo Anthony, Trevor Ariza

GSW trades / LAL receives: Andrew Wiggins, James Wiseman, Moses Moody, 2026 1st round pick

Why this trade works for the Warriors: The acquisition of Davis would make them title favorites.

Why these trades work for the Lakers: They start over with young pieces that still have upside. I would then pull a Rockets / Wall situation with Westbrook. Sit and pay him while working towards a buyout. Their new lineup:

PG…Maxey…Reaves
SG…Moody…Monk
SF…Wiggins…THT
PF…Simmons…Doumbouya
C…Wiseman…Howard

What do you think?
My Dream Team
PG...Magic Johnson...Steph Curry
SG...Michael Jordan...Kobe Bryant
SF...Larry Bird...LeBron James
PF...Tim Duncan...Charles Barkley
C...Kareem Abdul-Jabbar...Wilt Chamberlain
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,042

Re: My Lakers Rebuild 

Post#2 » by R-DAWG » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:32 pm

Rebuilding around Westbrook!
I_Love_This_Game!!
Pro Prospect

Post#3 » by I_Love_This_Game!! » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:34 pm

R-DAWG wrote:Rebuilding around Westbrook!

Guess you didn’t see the part about sitting and paying Westbrook while working towards a buyout. SMH
My Dream Team
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,827

Post#4 » by eminence » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:53 pm

GS would have to take the deal. Davis at the 5 could be absolutely nuts.
I bought a boat.
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,042

Post#5 » by R-DAWG » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:04 pm

I_Love_This_Game!! wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:Rebuilding around Westbrook!

Guess you didn’t see the part about sitting and paying Westbrook while working towards a buyout. SMH

It was a joke.

Big 3 of Westbrook-Melo-Dwight = 2012 NBA Champions?
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#6 » by Ballerhogger » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:38 pm

I don’t want Ben Simmons . James wismen doesn’t get you AD
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,164

Post#7 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:53 pm

It probably also effectively ends the attractiveness of The Lakers to premiere free agents. I mean, if they’re willing to deal Lebron for a Ben Simmons, why would a top free agent ver want to sign with them again?
LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Post#8 » by LAL1947 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:11 pm

I_Love_This_Game!! wrote:These trades will never happen because the Lakers would never trade LeBron. But, if I were them, this is what I’d do…

TRADE #1

I really like your Trade #1. Trade #2 not so much. I'd keep AD and try sending Westbrook to Cleveland for Lauri Markkanen and Kevin Love.

PG: Maxey......... New PG or groom THT to be a PG?
SG: Monk........... Reaves
SF: Simmons ...... Korkmaz
PF: Markkanen.... Doumbouya
Ce: Davis............ Howard

Scoot McGroot wrote:It probably also effectively ends the attractiveness of The Lakers to premiere free agents. I mean, if they’re willing to deal Lebron for a Ben Simmons, why would a top free agent ver want to sign with them again?

Sometimes you have to ignore public opinion and do what's best for the organization. I feel like this is one of those times, or the Lakers will be in for some very dark years in the near future.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,164

Post#9 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:17 pm

LAL1947 wrote:
I_Love_This_Game!! wrote:These trades will never happen because the Lakers would never trade LeBron. But, if I were them, this is what I’d do…

PG…Maxey…Reaves
SG…Moody…Monk
SF…Wiggins…THT
PF…Simmons…Doumbouya
C…Wiseman…Howard

What do you think?

I really like your Trade #1. Trade #2 not so much. I'd keep AD and try sending Westbrook to Cleveland for Lauri Markkanen and Kevin Love.

Scoot McGroot wrote:It probably also effectively ends the attractiveness of The Lakers to premiere free agents. I mean, if they’re willing to deal Lebron for a Ben Simmons, why would a top free agent ver want to sign with them again?

Sometimes you have to ignore public opinion and do what's best for the organization. I feel like this is one of those times, or the Lakers will be in for some very dark years in the near future.

Yeah, it’s fine, so long as the team also doesnt hope to go all in on assuming max free agents will just flock to LA. If they don’t trust you, they won’t come.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,623

Post#10 » by LightTheBeam » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:21 pm

I think you sold yourself short here. Id ask for Kuminga and Thybulle as well. I don't think either team turns you down.
I_Love_This_Game!!
Pro Prospect

Post#11 » by I_Love_This_Game!! » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:27 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:I think you sold yourself short here. Id ask for Kuminga and Thybulle as well. I don't think either team turns you down.

You may be right.
My Dream Team
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#12 » by Resistance » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:27 pm

LAL1947 wrote:

TRADE #1

Between changes in the CBA and the rise of owners with Fatter Wallets than the Buss family, I don't have the future as bright for the Lakers as it was in past decades.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,365

Post#13 » by zimpy27 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:31 pm

Yeah I think this is the last we see of the Lakers for decades.

LeBron is the reason they aren't irrelevant right now and just won a championship. Could be another 50 years before this franchise makes it back if they trade LeBron and AD.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Post#14 » by LAL1947 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:43 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:

Yeah, it’s fine, so long as the team also doesnt hope to go all in on assuming max free agents will just flock to LA. If they don’t trust you, they won’t come.

Agreed, but if they are able to pull off the two trades listed in my post, the Lakers won't be able to sign a star FA until Kevin Love is off the books anyway. Having Davis, Simmons, Markkanen, Maxey, Monk, Korkmaz, THT and Reaves will make it easier to build a new team without depending on FAs.

Another point to consider, Lebron did what was best for himself when he left Cleveland the 1st time, not even getting them back a player or a pick. So I don't think any teams owe him a thing if they decide to trade him to get assets back.

Resistance wrote:Between changes in the CBA and the rise of owners with Fatter Wallets than the Buss family, I don't have the future as bright for the Lakers as it was in past decades.

Yes, that's true... but it's also another reason why the Lakers FO need to be ruthless when it comes to making trades at the right time and for the right value. They cannot afford any missteps IMO.
I_Love_This_Game!!
Pro Prospect

Post#15 » by I_Love_This_Game!! » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:03 pm

Resistance wrote:Yes, that's true... but it's also another reason why the Lakers FO need to be ruthless when it comes to making trades at the right time and for the right value. They cannot afford any missteps IMO.

I have been a die hard Laker fan since the 70s. I was thrilled the team signed Lebron, acquired Davis and won a championship.

I wasn’t thrilled with the Westbrook acquisition, but was happy they were swinging for the fences. With that said…it didn’t work. They have no chance of winning a championship with the team as is. And, there aren’t any ways to improve. So, unfortunately…I believe a rebuild is the only way to go.

Yes, trading Lebron and Davis is ruthless, but like Resistance said, the Lakers need to be. And it’s not like this isn’t a win-win-win. Lebron and Davis go to championship competitors. I think future free agents will appreciate that the team did right by them.
My Dream Team
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#16 » by Soulyss » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:18 pm

Conceptually It's interesting... I think both Lebron & AD are being undervalued here, but it's not extreme given AD's inability to stay on the floor and Lebron's age... it's probably a couple of 1sts shy, but interesting.

More at play here are the ramifications for future FA signings given this would be a very public, likely grumpy breakup with LeGM & Klutch
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,623

Post#17 » by LightTheBeam » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:38 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:I think you sold yourself short here. Id ask for Kuminga and Thybulle as well. I don't think either team turns you down.

You may be right.

Ya obviously Lakers never trade Lebron. But Sixers should give anything and everything not named Embid to pair those 2.

Lakers would have a nice haul of young guys to kick start. Plus its LA so the next generation of superstars wanting out will absolutely head to LA once Russ expires.

Simmons, Maxey, Thybulle, Kuminga, Moody, Wiseman, Reaves, THT is a great start before adding the eventual superstars.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,793

Post#18 » by Slim Tubby » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:31 am

Resistance wrote:Yes, that's true... but it's also another reason why the Lakers FO need to be ruthless when it comes to making trades at the right time and for the right value. They cannot afford any missteps IMO.

I have been a die hard Laker fan since the 70s. I was thrilled the team signed Lebron, acquired Davis and won a championship.

I wasn’t thrilled with the Westbrook acquisition, but was happy they were swinging for the fences. With that said…it didn’t work. They have no chance of winning a championship with the team as is. And, there aren’t any ways to improve. So, unfortunately…I believe a rebuild is the only way to go.

Yes, trading Lebron and Davis is ruthless, but like Resistance said, the Lakers need to be. And it’s not like this isn’t a win-win-win. Lebron and Davis go to championship competitors. I think future free agents will appreciate that the team did right by them.

Excellent post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
I_Love_This_Game!!
Pro Prospect

Post#19 » by I_Love_This_Game!! » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:53 pm

Slim Tubby wrote:

Excellent post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Slim. I appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
My Dream Team
tacos
Senior
And1: 385

Post#20 » by tacos » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:29 pm

O man both of these are just AWFUL for the lakers!

:evil: I for one as a blazer fan LOVE it... is there any way we can reroute the crappy young assets they get for some head cases to build around the Ben Simmons Russell Westbrook core? How does Chad Ochocinco feel about playing basketball? What's Royce White doing nowadays? And we can loop in Marvin Bagley? Then we get Bob Knight to come out of retirement and we'll make a Hollywood reality show

A lineup of
Westbrook/Simmons/Ben Simmons also emotionally troubled sister/Marvin Bagley/Dwight

Then a bench of Chad Ochocinco/Mike Tyson/ Ron Jeremy/John Cena/Snooki

Make it so number one! :D

Return to Trades and Transactions