ImageImageImageImage

What if we fall out of the top 3 again?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

davey_wavy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

What if we fall out of the top 3 again? 

Post#1 » by davey_wavy » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:12 am

No Paolo
No Jabari
No Chet

I know it’s early, trust me. But you got some SERIOUS talent in the top 3, and I’m scared. If the ping pong balls kick us out, I will literally be a 37yo grown man crying on the couch.

Ya know, sometimes I wonder if I’ll see my team (since I was 10yo) win a championship before I die. I really think about that
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,980

Re: What if we fall out of the top 3 again? 

Post#2 » by thelead » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:29 am

I have not stressed wins this year because the tank/draft doesn't matter as much this year. It would be nice to grab one of those guys for sure but I don't think any of them are generational talents to worry about. I could be wrong but I just don't see complete players there. I do like Jabari's combination of shooting and age though.
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#3 » by The Effect » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:39 am

dont stress, this is the first year in a while where there no clear cut #1 franchise changing player
Last time that was the case was 2013, and we got a top 3 pick

Chet, Jabari and Paolo are all very good, but they arent the level of a Zion, cade or KAT coming out

If we fall out of the top 3, i likely wont be able to watch the draft on account of i will no longer have a tv, but i would hope we would take Jonny Davis and add some scoring to this team
FFBlitzace
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,780

Post#4 » by FFBlitzace » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:44 am

davey_wavy wrote:
Ya know, sometimes I wonder if I’ll see my team (since I was 10yo) win a championship before I die. I really think about that

I think the same thing. Then I think about young, obnoxious Lakers fans that have known nothing but winning, and have won multiple championships. How dare they? What gives them the right? I've paid my dues. Why must I continue to suffer?

But then I think about my other blessings in life, especially compared to people in bad parts of the world, and I feel a little silly for having that kind of jealous rage.

I still feel like I deserve a Magic championship though. What, I can't get just one? Give me a break.
11/18/2017 - I have officially disowned Nikola Vucevic and branded him a loser.

- Skal Labissiere was my guy in 2016 pre-trade. Whoops, but I still believe.
- Malik Monk was my guy in 2017. Whoops(?)
- Mo Bamba was my guy in 2018. TBD.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,159

Post#5 » by Def Swami » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:54 am

I wouldn't sweat it. I really like Bennedict Mathurin, Jaden Ivey, Johnny Davis, Kendall Brown, or AJ Griffin. There may not be a generational talent, but I'd wager on the field over the "consensus top 3" harboring the best player in the draft.
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,945

Post#6 » by JF5 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:54 am

I see this draft pick as more of a trade piece for a Vet TBH. Since talent isnt so deep and this team already has enough young guys, I can see them going after a guy that would help them be more competitive next year.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,581

Post#7 » by Bensational » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:05 am

davey_wavy wrote:No Paolo
No Jabari
No Chet

I know it’s early, trust me. But you got some SERIOUS talent in the top 3, and I’m scared. If the ping pong balls kick us out, I will literally be a 37yo grown man crying on the couch.

Depends if you watch Cade, Green and Mobley now and still feel gutted about missing the chance to get one, or if guys like Wagner, Barnes, Giddey and would be just as happy with them on the team.

Because there’s guaranteed to be good players outside the top 3, as there always is.
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 600

Post#8 » by MasterGMer » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:28 am

Trade up...
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,694

Post#9 » by Statlanta » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:31 am

What if we get into the top 3 and that guy develops like Jabari Parker?

I mean we need a home run if its not here then we need to trade the 1st rounders and force talent on the roster.
Aaron Gordon, Devin Booker, Tyrese Halliburton, Trae Young, Anthony Edwards and Luka Doncic all made the Conference Finals.

Where’s Joel Embiid?
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,942

Post#10 » by RookieStar » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:35 am

Well... this kinda sucks. This is the perfect season to shamelessly tank and not get penalized for it and, while no clear cut generational talent, is still loaded in the top 3 so far.

However, dont sweat it as the ncaa season goes on, more players would rise to claim a top spot.
Magicfanatic82
Junior
And1: 200

Post#11 » by Magicfanatic82 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:51 am

I'm liking Johnny Davis. He's not flashy but its like a guilty pleasure watch. Plays hard and smart.
I do agree any of those bigs will fit well. Chuma has regressed and Isaac is well... who knows. As far as I'm concerned big is a need.
j_n
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,684

Post#12 » by j_n » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:14 am

At this point I'm expecting us to drop out, it's been such a horrible run luck wise, but still, most draft have at least one franchise player after the top 4, even if we fall to 5-6 we should still be in a great position to add a future all star to an already intriguing young core.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,044

Post#13 » by drsd » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:18 am

davey_wavy wrote:No Paolo
No Jabari
No Chet

That's a feature not a bug. Orlando really needs an ultra-efficient long-bomber, or an alpha-Ace, at SG. The probable draft position of #5 will be loaded with SG options.

Hardy or Ivey is likely Mr #4. So the Magic get to chose between the other Jaden, and Bennedict Mathurin, MarJon Beauchamp, Max Christie, Johnny Davis, and Blake Wesley.

I love Mathurin in particular. He is athletic and long. His shooting stroke is very precise. He does not have Jalen Green upside (the player I was drooling for last year), but Mathurin ticks almost every need-box Orlando has.

Magicfanatic82 wrote:I'm liking Johnny Davis. He's not flashy but its like a guilty pleasure watch. Plays hard and smart.
I do agree any of those bigs will fit well. Chuma has regressed and Isaac is well... who knows. As far as I'm concerned big is a need.

If Orlando drafts and then Davis is available at #7, I would be supportive of the Magic trading their drafted selection for Davis and a future asset. There's not a lot between the many SG prospects in upside potential. But I do think Mathurin is a better fit.

drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,044

Post#14 » by drsd » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:22 am

JF5 wrote:I see this draft pick as more of a trade piece for a Vet TBH. Since talent isnt so deep and this team already has enough young guys, I can see them going after a guy that would help them be more competitive next year.

Bamba, Okeke, the Magic 2022 FRP, and one of the Bulls/Nuggets for Brown, I am an auto-Yes.

Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 5,075

Post#15 » by Ducklett » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:36 am

I don't understand the obsession with Brown on this sub. The Celtics want rid of him because he is omega-level overrated.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,422

Post#16 » by pepe1991 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:39 am

pick + whatever and sign and trade for SGA.

Last night i tuned in that sad OKC team vs Dallas, and whole game Dallas is playing like crap, SGA is basically playing with bunch of G league bodies and Dallas still beats them.
I don't get what's the deal with Presti and his basketball logic, but every fool can see that OKC is SGA injury or trade away from being worst team in basketball in last 20 years. That includes that sad Bobcats and 76ers tankers. And yet, he still refuses to pay him.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,422

Post#17 » by pepe1991 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:46 am

Ducklett wrote:I don't understand the obsession with Brown on this sub. The Celtics want rid of him because he is omega-level overrated.

24 ppg, 6 rebounds, 3 assist a game. In 2022 year: 27 ppg, 8 rebounds ,4 years. 50-40-82 splits.
Celtics are 6-3 in that period.

How is he overrated? He is clear max contract player. Guy is 25. And he is " overrated" , But guys like Isaac (24), Fultz ( 24) and Bamba ( 23) are "upcomming and can still develop" . What type of shi** logic is that ?

He is execlly what Orlando needs. Two way player who is excellent on offense.
Main reason why board mentions him is because he is odd fit to Tatum. He ( Tatum) is currently on pace to become the 31st player in league history (and 3rd active player) to miss 1000+ shots in a single season. Other two active : Harden 2016-17 season and Westbrook 2018-19 season. :clap:

Tatum is more gifted due better size, more fluidity , being bit more versitale scorer BUT, 3-4-5 years down the road, it's not outside relm of possibiltiy where people will turn back and figure Brown always was better player. Kind a like Westbrook-Harden OKC days and dynamic, where Westbrook was more flashy and therfore looked like "superior" to Harden.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,581

Post#18 » by Bensational » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:02 pm

pepe1991 wrote:pick + whatever and sign and trade for SGA.

I’d definitely consider that if it were on the table. Though I’d be wary of ruining chances for Scoot or Wembanyama in 23.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,906

Post#19 » by Skybox » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:22 pm

pepe1991 wrote:pick + whatever and sign and trade for SGA.

Last night i tuned in that sad OKC team vs Dallas, and whole game Dallas is playing like crap, SGA is basically playing with bunch of G league bodies and Dallas still beats them.
I don't get what's the deal with Presti and his basketball logic, but every fool can see that OKC is SGA injury or trade away from being worst team in basketball in last 20 years. That includes that sad Bobcats and 76ers tankers. And yet, he still refuses to pay him.

Why would OKC trade SGA? I thought he just got a max extension? I could understand SGA (who is ready to win) getting frustrated with Presti's 10 year plan, but the team holds the cards for now and it would seem that SGA is their first brick in the rebuild.

I'd LOVE to get him and would send our 22 along with both DEN and CHI picks in a heartbeat...and any combo of players not including Franz.
davey_wavy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#20 » by davey_wavy » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:27 pm

Something else I think about in regards to my OP. If we do win a title one day, is it just me or is anyone else dredding the amount of fake Magic fans that will magically appear. “Oh I’ve liked them since Penny & Shaq” and “Oh I’ve liked them since Dwight & Jameer”. You’ll see a bunch of fakes wearing hats, jerseys, and yada yada which will be annoying because all the REAL, lifelong, passionate, and by then patient fans will just blend in with the rest of them. See GSW for an example

Return to Orlando Magic