ImageImageImageImageImage

Clippers SELLERS at trade deadline? Argh!

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Kelphus
Senior
And1: 524

Clippers SELLERS at trade deadline? Argh! 

Post#1 » by Kelphus » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:47 am

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/265421/Clippers-Could-Become-Sellers-At-Trade-Deadline

Hope this gossip is not true. There is no need to tank the season. The youngsters are getting some great experience, PG13 and Kawhi will be back before playoffs. A healthy Clippers team will be very dangerous regardless of their ultimate seeding.
The Clipper fan understands the Book of Exodus better than anyone... what it's like to struggle 40 years in the wilderness... and Genesis.. why Cain went after Abel... So fLakers, look out... we're coming.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 28,806

Re: Clippers SELLERS at trade deadline? Argh! 

Post#2 » by og15 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:03 am

Seems like speculation, not sure what they will be selling to acquire. Team isn't getting a lottery pick or potential lottery pick by trading anyone, at least I don't think so.

Kelphus wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/265421/Clippers-Could-Become-Sellers-At-Trade-Deadline

Hope this gossip is not true. There is no need to tank the season. The youngsters are getting some great experience, PG13 and Kawhi will be back before playoffs. A healthy Clippers team will be very dangerous regardless of their ultimate seeding.

...but the speculation is based on the recent news that PG might be out for the remainder of the season.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,153

Post#3 » by Clemenza » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:09 am

og15 wrote:Seems like speculation, not sure what they will be selling to acquire. Team isn't getting a lottery pick or potential lottery pick by trading anyone, at least I don't think so.

Kelphus wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/265421/Clippers-Could-Become-Sellers-At-Trade-Deadline

...but the speculation is based on the recent news that PG might be out for the remainder of the season.

If Kawhi and PG aren't coming back and a team like Boston, Cleveland, or Philly would give a first round pick for Morris it would be really hard for our front office to turn that down. That's IF Kawhi and PG are shut down for the season
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#4 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:51 pm

Clemenza wrote:
og15 wrote:Seems like speculation, not sure what they will be selling to acquire. Team isn't getting a lottery pick or potential lottery pick by trading anyone, at least I don't think so.

If Kawhi and PG aren't coming back and a team like Boston, Cleveland, or Philly would give a first round pick for Morris it would be really hard for our front office to turn that down. That's IF Kawhi and PG are shut down for the season

This is a good point. I mean if we are sellers right now, its with next season in mind and not 3 seasons from now. We are probably willing to sell high (relatively speaking) for lots of our guys, if we anticipate making subsequent moves in the offseason if needed (packaging picks, etc.) I don't think we are going out of way to dump salaries though.

Morris is not spectacular but has been a good Clipper and one of solid vets. If he's continues to stay healthy and play well, I think he is a good asset for a team that wants to build for a playoff push (that still could be us though...)
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 1,938

Post#5 » by Bobbymcgee » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:43 pm

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2952391-paul-george-injury-could-dictate-la-clippers-direction-at-trade-deadline

If the above article is true then I say finally, some common sense. This is definitely a gap year for the team. Use it to develop the young guys. Clippers should trade Ibaka if they can to save 40 million dollars. Totally make sense to do so. They should trade Marcus Morris and look for cheaper options in the off-season. He has been too inconsistent. The Bledsoe for Dragic deal mentioned sounds highly unlikely but that would be awesome if it came to fruition.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,258

Post#6 » by nickhx2 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:19 pm

damn i wonder what we've been doing this whole time to begin with, putting all the young guys on the backburner so guys like mann, kennard, zubac, coffey, boston, and hartenstein could get tons of burn in the RS.

what a waste of time
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,418

Post#7 » by TrueLAfan » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:03 am

I think some people are looking at this the wrong way. The reason we could be "sellers" is because we have developed players that give us tradable assets. In the past years--nobody was going to trade for Sindarius. We were never going to get much for Oturu or Kab once they had started play and people had seen them in the NBA and G-League. We had nothing of value to trade.

Things are different. Hartenstein has already scored more points than Oturu and Kab had/have in their entire careers. Boston has signposts that say he might be a really good scorer in the NBA. Johnson was hurt to start with, but has shown enough to indicate he has value. Coffey has become a good back of the rotation player; that has value. I know Winslow is like a bad word to some people—but his play in the past month or so, at both PF and C, has been good. That’s just a start, but—yeah. Those guys are all under 25; many 23 or under.

And what that also means is that if, for instance, Winslow seems to be healthy (big if—the team knows more than us) and Hartenstein can keep giving us 15-18 mpg, then Ibaka or Batum or Morris—or two of them!—become tradeable. And combing, say, Batum and Boston could get us something really good. Could it get us Coby White? Because that would instantly make Bledsoe a tradeable asset as well—and his play and contract give him value too.

Anyway, I’m glad we’re seen as sellers. Means we have desirable players not named Paul George or Kawhi Leonard. I’m cool with that.
Max Headrom
Sixth Man
And1: 2,157

Post#8 » by Max Headrom » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:24 am

The person that wrote this article is a hack that is never right. He's also a Laker fan that writes for the ESPN of online sports reports, Lakers, I mean Bleacher Report
donemilio21
Veteran
And1: 761

Post#9 » by donemilio21 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:09 pm

If Memphis and Cleveland can sustain .600+ records, so should we even without PG or Kawhi.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,315

Post#10 » by Roscoe Sheed » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:32 am

donemilio21 wrote:If Memphis and Cleveland can sustain .600+ records, so should we even without PG or Kawhi.

that's a tall task, especially considering the fact that more players have been out besides PG and Kawhi- such as Hartenstein, Morris, Kennard, Batum, and Jackson.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,803

Post#11 » by esqtvd » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:05 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
donemilio21 wrote:If Memphis and Cleveland can sustain .600+ records, so should we even without PG or Kawhi.

that's a tall task, especially considering the fact that more players have been out besides PG and Kawhi- such as Hartenstein, Morris, Kennard, Batum, and Jackson.

says it all

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
donemilio21
Veteran
And1: 761

Post#12 » by donemilio21 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:31 pm

We should be buyers if there is a player that we can afford to get. I just wish we had some draft assets.
Levert for Bledsoe + 2nd round pick ?
how about both Sabonis and Levert? are we willing to trade any of our young players?
Whatever we do, it has to be with next season in mind, so going after players who'd fit the Kawhi and PG next year should be the only reason we'd trade away any draft assets or young players, and even then I'd really wouldn't want to trade Boston or Preston, because how cheap their contracts are.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,153

Post#13 » by Clemenza » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:12 pm

donemilio21 wrote:We should be buyers if there is a player that we can afford to get. I just wish we had some draft assets.
Levert for Bledsoe + 2nd round pick ?
how about both Sabonis and Levert? are we willing to trade any of our young players?
Whatever we do, it has to be with next season in mind, so going after players who'd fit the Kawhi and PG next year should be the only reason we'd trade away any draft assets or young players, and even then I'd really wouldn't want to trade Boston or Preston, because how cheap their contracts are.

Levert is hurt all the time and big man wise I think we're good with Zu and Hart. Boston might actually be just as good if not better than Levert by this time next season. Also have to wait to see what Keon and Preston turn into. If anything I'm seeing if I can get a first round pick Morris Sr. and/or move Serge for a solid point guard
Goner
Pro Prospect
And1: 695

Post#14 » by Goner » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:23 pm

esqtvd wrote:says it all

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

We are also number one in games missed due to injury, above Orlando, when you adjust for them holding out players to help their tank (Jonathan Isaac).
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,401

Post#15 » by KL78192020 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:09 am

The clippers will be in that 7-10 range for the playin games. If George and Kawhi come back just for the play in game, Clips should make the playoffs. Maybe a few games earlier just to warm up and practice. Would be an interesting 1 vs 8 match, they could beat the Suns or Warriors at that point if those two guys are healthy.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#16 » by wco81 » Thu Feb 3, 2022 12:16 am

https://hoopshype.com/rumor/serge-ibaka-ivica-zubac-and-nicolas-batum-available/

The Ringer’s Kevin O’Connor reported this week that the Clippers, who’ve stayed afloat in the West despite long-term injuries to Kawhi Leonard and Paul George, are searching for point guard help. League sources indicate the Clips are willing to move a combination of veterans on expiring or potentially expiring contracts for an upgrade at the point; that group includes players like Serge Ibaka, Ivica Zubac (team option for 2022-23) and Nicolas Batum (player option for 2022-23) — a player in whom Washington’s had interest in the past.

Clippers are 6 games above falling out of a play-in slot and 3.5 games below #6 Nuggets to avoid the play-in.

Even if George and Leonard don't come back, they have no incentive to tank since OKC has the Clippers unprotected FRP. They do still own their SRP but no reason to tank just to improve that SRP when OKC would benefit.

So it would be a strange move to be sellers now. Or will they be improved by trading one of the 3 players named for a PG?

If those players are seen as key role players next year, it makes no sense to trade them at all. Have any of the rookies and young players made Ibaka, Zubac or Batum more expendable for next seasons?

Well potentially luxury tax savings but what's the point in having the richest owner in the league if he won't keep the best roster possible tougher for the Max players to return to?
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,258

Post#17 » by nickhx2 » Thu Feb 3, 2022 12:53 am

well, help at the point implies they want to get better. imo the team has a reasonable shot to win it all when fully healthy, but at the same time i believe the team's championship equity goes up with a true facilitator, despite how much i like reggie jackson.

so they wouldn't be sellers. assuming the article is true (which i'm skeptical of anyway). part of why i take it with a grain of salt is because zubac is a relatively key cog with the team and he's on a really cheap deal, so moving him would be a huge step backward, whereas moving serge makes sense so the team could try to retain hartenstein for future seasons. the only way i'd see the sources as being correct is if the clips see hart as the future at C (which isn't an unreasonable take given he's got a lot of potential) and they feel like moving a combination of zubac/serge/batum can free up money and roster space for hartenstein, boston, and johnson.

i'd also add that bledsoe not being mentioned as one of the movable pieces also strikes me as odd, and adds to the skepticism. if the team wants PG help he's like, the perfect piece to move because his contract next season is only partially guaranteed, so he'll help a team save a ton of money, and the team's not gonna wanna have jackson + bledsoe + new PG all on the team at the same time.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,803

Post#18 » by esqtvd » Thu Feb 3, 2022 4:14 am

nickhx2 wrote:well, help at the point implies they want to get better. imo the team has a reasonable shot to win it all when fully healthy, but at the same time i believe the team's championship equity goes up with a true facilitator, despite how much i like reggie jackson.

so they wouldn't be sellers. assuming the article is true (which i'm skeptical of anyway). part of why i take it with a grain of salt is because zubac is a relatively key cog with the team and he's on a really cheap deal, so moving him would be a huge step backward, whereas moving serge makes sense so the team could try to retain hartenstein for future seasons. the only way i'd see the sources as being correct is if the clips see hart as the future at C (which isn't an unreasonable take given he's got a lot of potential) and they feel like moving a combination of zubac/serge/batum can free up money and roster space for hartenstein, boston, and johnson.

i'd also add that bledsoe not being mentioned as one of the movable pieces also strikes me as odd, and adds to the skepticism. if the team wants PG help he's like, the perfect piece to move because his contract next season is only partially guaranteed, so he'll help a team save a ton of money, and the team's not gonna wanna have jackson + bledsoe + new PG all on the team at the same time.

I think Bledsoe is not mentioned because he's fighting for minutes with the Clippers, who are woefully short-handed. If Schroder had a tough time finding a job, I dunno what Bledsoe's future is.

As for Zu, he remains an OK player at an OK salary--in 13 games in January he averaged 9.5/7.5 in 23 minutes. Take out that huge 32 point outburst in the OT loss at Denver [Jokic had 49] and he had only one other game with more than 12 points and only three in double figures at all.

Trading Reggie is an interesting thought but I think he remains our heart and soul now that Bev's gone. His numbers aren't pretty but culture counts and I think Reggie is carrying more than his share of that load.

We're 5 games out of the 6th seed in the loss column and with PG's return uncertain this year it may be time to reboot our expectations. Out of professional courtesy we owe Ibaka a chance to get minutes on a contender if they're out there, and if Batum wants out we should try to accommodate him too although he has another year to run.

Even if PG and Kawhi can make it back in time it's asking a lot to throw a championship team together in only a few weeks---we can get through the play-in fine, but then we'd face the Suns or Dubs immediately after that. The TOP TWO records in the NBA.

We need to start thinking about hitting the ground running in 2022-23 and if we can deal for a REAL PG, we gotta take a look at that.

https://www.slamonline.com/nba/report-the-clippers-make-multiple-players-available-for-point-guard-help/

While Reggie Jackson currently covers the position, the Clippers see him as more of a scorer. What they want by his side is a playmaker. Someone like Fred VanVleet or Kyle Lowry for Leonard in Toronto, or even George Hill was for a young PG-13 in Indiana. L.A. wants a point guard on that level, someone who can manage the game or provide a spark depending on the situation.

So, what kind of point guard can the Clippers reasonably obtain? Over the past few weeks, numerous reports have cited names like Jalen Brunson, Dennis Schröder, Kemba Walker, Goran Dragic, Spencer Dinwiddie, and John Wall as targets.”

The team plans on moving potential expiring contracts such as Serge Ibaka, Ivica Zubac (team option for 2022-23 season), or Nicolas Batum (player option for 2022-23)

Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#19 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Feb 3, 2022 4:14 pm

Dinwiddie seems the most gettable reasonably young guy depending on how much the Wizards want to get rid of him and his contract, and what other teams may be interested.

I don’t think we’re going to consider trading Reggie, our comfort level and perception of his up side is probably much higher than other teams. Even as salary filler in a bigger deal, we have other ways of making that salary.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#20 » by wco81 » Fri Feb 4, 2022 4:47 pm

Prognosis for PG13 and Kawhi returning, either before the playoffs or some time during the playoffs, doesn't sound good.

Team is likely to make the play in at least and #5 or #6 seeds are within reach.

But not if they trade some of these vets being discussed. Ibaka had a good game in the win over the Lakers, Batum played as well.

No point in tanking since OKC owns the Clippers FRP, currently at #15, close to being in the lottery.

But maybe if these vets can net them a FRP, it would be worth it? More playing time for young players but it could mean giving OKC a lottery pick.

Quite a dilemma.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers