2022 Summer/Offseason

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 825

Re: 2022 Summer/Offseason 

Post#161 » by Pacersike » Sat May 14, 2022 8:40 am

It's very good that Tyus Jones had such a bad (shooting) performance last night.
It decreases the odds the Pacers add another bench/secondary playmaker/leading a bad team point guard, who will get exposed leading a playoff team.

Collison, Hill, Brogdon, even Haliburton needs a break down the defense type of player next to him.
Brunson seems to fit, but as usual, Pacers discover after player starts to shine and market price is trough all the roofs of owtc.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#162 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat May 14, 2022 6:48 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21&t=PvLtwIwxeau2wYbJZ7Tc_w

Haliburton getting ready for a fast ride with Mario Andretti in the two seater (if the rain allows).
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#163 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat May 14, 2022 6:50 pm

Pacersike wrote:It's very good that Tyus Jones had such a bad (shooting) performance last night.
It decreases the odds the Pacers add another bench/secondary playmaker/leading a bad team point guard, who will get exposed leading a playoff team.

Collison, Hill, Brogdon, even Haliburton needs a break down the defense type of player next to him.
Brunson seems to fit, but as usual, Pacers discover after player starts to shine and market price is trough all the roofs of owtc.

I doubt they’d look to sign someone to either play behind McConnell, or to turn McConnell into an expensive 3rd stringer.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#164 » by Topofthekey » Fri May 20, 2022 12:02 pm

If they plan to re-sign Turner, then they should do it this off-season

I have a feeling that Turner is going to benefit from playing with Haliburton

Worth noting that he's never played with a pass first PG of Haliburton's calibre, and he's been vocal about wanting a bigger role on offense. I think it's fair to expect that he's going to improve his offensive output next season

Coupled with his already elite defense, he's going to be expensive if Pacers have to outbid other teams in an open market
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#165 » by Wizop » Fri May 20, 2022 1:32 pm

Topofthekey wrote:Coupled with his already elite defense, he's going to be expensive if Pacers have to outbid other teams in an open market

but this should be obvious to him too. his advantage in extending is injury protection. if he can play anything like a full season, he's going to be in demand.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 716

Post#166 » by Pacers Forever » Sat May 21, 2022 2:31 am

My stance is we try to extend Turner now. If he declines then I’m looking to deal him before we loose all his value if they feel he’s looking for a payday with no loyalty to the Pacers. I’d like to go forward with him as I think he’s still got potential to become a more aggressive rounded player.

I think after this season of play if Isiah Jackson gets stronger and his body matures he can be our next Turner at cheaper salary for years to come if Turner departs.

I think he’s already shown quick hops to block shots and is good at close in put backs. What he doesn’t have is Turner’s outside shot, obviously experience, and ability to play bigs like Embid and Jokic.

In the meantime if Turner departs it’s Goga’s last year if not traded so we’ll be in the market next year for a 5 unless one comes available from another team.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#167 » by Wizop » Sat May 21, 2022 12:31 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:My stance is we try to extend Turner now. If he declines then I’m looking to deal him before we loose all his value if they feel he’s looking for a payday with no loyalty to the Pacers.

I'd make the offer but it can be done anytime this season. I wouldn't call not taking a discount disloyal.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#168 » by Pacers Forever » Sat May 21, 2022 12:57 pm

Wizop wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:My stance is we try to extend Turner now. If he declines then I’m looking to deal him before we loose all his value if they feel he’s looking for a payday with no loyalty to the Pacers.

I'd make the offer but it can be done anytime this season. I wouldn't call not taking a discount disloyal.

Ok if he can’t be extended yet never mind. Maybe disloyal should be replaced with him not interested in being here and taking decent money elsewhere with a better chance to win.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#169 » by Wizop » Sat May 21, 2022 1:26 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Ok if he can’t be extended yet never mind. Maybe disloyal should be replaced with him not interested in being here and taking decent mo
ney elsewhere with a better chance to win.

I'm not sure when this bargaining starts but it doesn't have to be completed preseason like rookie contract extensions. There is an article on theAthletic discussing extensions versus new contracts.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#170 » by boomershadow » Sat May 21, 2022 4:28 pm

As much as I like Turner and have defended him over the years, I wouldn't mind seeing him on a winning team even if it isn't the Pacers.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#171 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat May 21, 2022 7:30 pm

Wizop wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Ok if he can’t be extended yet never mind. Maybe disloyal should be replaced with him not interested in being here and taking decent mo
ney elsewhere with a better chance to win.

I'm not sure when this bargaining starts but it doesn't have to be completed preseason like rookie contract extensions. There is an article on theAthletic discussing extensions versus new contracts.

Nothing until July 1st. Technically, Pritchard can’t talk extension until then with Turner and his agent, but if they have any sort of relationship, they’ll understand before the draft.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#172 » by Wizop » Sun May 22, 2022 2:24 am

Ran into Chris Duarte at lunch today at a Caribbean restaurant at 71st and Michigan Road. Said hi and shook hands but I didn't bother him further.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#173 » by Pacers Forever » Sun May 22, 2022 10:43 am

Wizop wrote:Ran into Chris Duarte at lunch today at a Caribbean restaurant at 71st and Michigan Road. Said hi and shook hands but I didn't bother him further.

So cool! Is this a restaurant you have ate at or were you in and out ? If you ate how’s their food and recommended fare ?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#174 » by Wizop » Sun May 22, 2022 2:35 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:
Wizop wrote:Ran into Chris Duarte at lunch today at a Caribbean restaurant at 71st and Michigan Road. Said hi and shook hands but I didn't bother him further.

So cool! Is this a restaurant you have ate at or were you in and out ? If you ate how’s their food and recommended fare ?

I bought a carry out lunch. It's a hole in the wall with only 3 or 4 tables. I was the only non Spanish speaker there and Chris's presence confirmed the authenticity for me. I'm a regular at 3 in 1 at 86th and Ditch. The menu at Tu Casa is not the same. I'll be back to both for carry out.

If you are looking for a high quality Mexican sit down place that isn't just TexMex, I highly recommend el Peurto de San Blas on 38th west of Georgetown. Also Sunshine a little further west is a good Mexican breakfast restaurant.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#175 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jun 4, 2022 11:40 pm

Yeah, Even limited, Myles was pretty good this year.

Read on Twitter
?s=21&t=qEs-QxobGNAZ1lmg0rS2DQ
Wizop
RealGM

Post#176 » by Wizop » Sun Jun 5, 2022 3:00 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:Yeah, Even limited, Myles was pretty good this year.

By now you know I like coaches who change the scheme to fit the players. I think Carlisle picked the center who fits his scheme when he chose to keep Turner. If it works, we could have a bounce back year. But I'm always overoptimistic in the Summer.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#177 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jun 5, 2022 3:10 am

Wizop wrote:

By now you know I like coaches who change the scheme to fit the players. I think Carlisle picked the center who fits his scheme when he chose to keep Turner. If it works, we could have a bounce back year. But I'm always overoptimistic in the Summer.

I don't know that we can even say that Carlisle "chose to keep Turner". The team had decided to move on from the twin towers approach of two centers. Turner was rumored in tons of deals, and then he was injured. I think the injury to Turner, and Haliburton's availability for Sabonis is what made the choice. Who's to say that Carlisle will want to keep Turner, or that he'll get to make the choice?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#178 » by Wizop » Sun Jun 5, 2022 3:31 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:I don't know that we can even say that Carlisle "chose to keep Turner". The team had decided to move on from the twin towers approach of two centers. Turner was rumored in tons of deals, and then he was injured.

Rumors also said Carlisle didn't want to play through a point center. I discount the Turner trade rumors as I think they say more about other teams wanting to be buyers than about the Pacers wanting to be a seller. A bad start could change that though.

Also, Murphy's Law suggests though that we'll limp into the playoffs and drop the Cavs into the lottery.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#179 » by Topofthekey » Mon Jun 6, 2022 5:01 am

The ultimate demonstration of Murphy's Law would be a lower seeded Pacers beating a higher seeded Cavs in the play ins, making the playoffs while sending Cavs to the lottery

Honestly if it happened I wouldn't even be that mad, I'd be more preoccupied marveling at how the universe works
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#180 » by 8305 » Mon Jun 6, 2022 10:07 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:

I don't know that we can even say that Carlisle "chose to keep Turner". The team had decided to move on from the twin towers approach of two centers. Turner was rumored in tons of deals, and then he was injured. I think the injury to Turner, and Haliburton's availability for Sabonis is what made the choice. Who's to say that Carlisle will want to keep Turner, or that he'll get to make the choice?

When we drafted Goga he was sold as a better all around player than either Domas or Myles. Can the argument still be made that our assets are still weighed too heavily toward centers? I think the consensus around the league is that you can’t have too many multi skilled guys with length. Do we have anyone who fits that mold? I’m torn on Myles because he has a diverse skill set. I think he can defend in space. Long term can a successful team pay a guy like Myles?

Return to Indiana Pacers