ImageImageImageImageImage

What we do in Trade Deadline? Buyer? Seller?

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

What is our stance?

None - only trading our 27m expiring in Dragic and or Boucher for assets (we can take about 18m next year before tax)
73%
Seller - trading quality players in Siakam, VanVleet, OG, Trent, etc. for picks
8%
Buyer - upgrading a position (replacing minutes), trading Siakam, VanVleet, OG, Trent etc. for a better player at a position
14%
Both -
5%

Total votes: 120

Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,752

Re: What we do in Trade Deadline? Buyer? Seller? 

Post#101 » by Ell Curry » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:38 am

My new guess is something like Hartenstein, Reggie Jackson and Ibaka for Dragic, Flynn, Bonga and a 2nd rounder. Clippers save 9m at PG next year if Flynn can emerge as a backup PG type there, they can’t keep Hartenstein unless they use the MLE anyways (2.7M offer won’t keep him he’s a 6M type now) and they can use that on another position when they like Zubac and smallball anyways and find a minimum Center for 10-15 minutes a night at most.

We get a promising Center we can keep with the MLE if we love him and Reggie Jackson to ease Van Vleets load and stay under the tax next year still.

Maybe with this deal we trade Boucher for a pick and expiring.

Bledsoe and Hartenstein for Dragic and Flynn also works, with the clippers giving us a 2nd to get off of Birch’s deal and we keep Boucher and just cut Bledsoe (3.9M guarantee) and draft a guard and split the MLE between Hartenstein and a guard/wing for one year like Kendrick Nunn got from the Lakers and hell maybe on literally Kendrick Nunn.

Basically some deal where we take on a bit of 2022-23 money to patch up our 2 problem spots without giving up picks and buy some time for the 2022 1st or Banton to be our perimeter bench guy.
Where's the D?
Ell Curry
Head Coach

Post#102 » by Ell Curry » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:44 am

DelAbbot wrote:We are not going into the luxury tax this year, because there is little seat revenue to be made from playoffs, with covid restrictions on and off.

Basically agree.

It’s an 11m bonus for teams under the tax and a year you aren’t adding to the repeater.

The only way we go into the tax is to get a clear starting quality player under 28 imo, like if we move Siakam to get Jaylen Brown or Haliburton or a guy like that and have to, or like 3 unprotected first round picks and 2 swaps and Dragic for Jaylen Brown and that’s just not going to happen.
Where's the D?
pcc
Ballboy
And1: 14

Re: What we do in Trade Deadline? Buy? Seller? 

Post#103 » by pcc » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:42 am

WaltFrazier wrote:Buy, make trades, but don't touch the top 5. Except maybe Trent. Moving Boucher with Dragic might move the needle if we got the right guy(s) back.

GET RID OF CHAMPAGNIES IN OUR TEAM. WE NEED GOOD PLAYERS. OUR BENCH REALLY SUCKS! WE NEED A TRUE CENTER.
pcc
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#104 » by pcc » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:48 am

Backcountry wrote:We are still at least season or two (or more?) away from being contenders again, assuming a logical progression, so I don't see us going too crazy before the deadline. Some upgrades, but no homerun shots yet.

IMO, the only untouchables are OG, FVV, Siakam, Barnes. And I'll add Precious to that list as Masai seems to really want him. I'm not sure where Banton sits so I'll also exclude him. He has that Rexdale factor and the fans love him, even if he hasn't been as good lately.

Players who are playing well and have current "sell-high" status:
GTJ (tough one - he's playing so well but can't put him on the untouchables list yet)
Boucher (recently improved)
Champagnie (love his BBIQ, but he could still be bait)
Yuta (assuming healthy)
Birch (was higher - hopefully gets some of it back)

Players who could be moved just for the sake of moving them:
Svi
Bonga
Flynn
Johnson? (or can he take Flynn's place?)

Players who are already gone and it's just a formality of how the deal gets done:
Dragic

I'd still like to see if DJ Wilson has any potential or if he was just a 2-game flash. Nobody else wanted him before the hardship signings, but he played well and has the "Raptor size". Maybe we'd move someone just to make room for him?

Champagnie is horrible man. Open your eyes...
HomieOmey
Head Coach
And1: 563

Post#105 » by HomieOmey » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:19 pm

So much depends on Flynn, our protected picks, and Boucher. If anyone is actually willing to give up any value for some combination of that platter, we will 100% be buyers. If a team like Chicago is willing to offer up something nice for Boucher, I'd hope we would be sellers. I guess there's a sliver of a chance we actually trade one of Siakam or OG, but I can't see the Raps dealing FVV, Siakam, or OG just yet.
TurboZ
Madhouse
RealGM
And1: 9,876

Post#106 » by Madhouse » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:28 pm

Realistically not much is going to happen.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,288

Post#107 » by WaltFrazier » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:21 pm

pcc wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:Buy, make trades, but don't touch the top 5. Except maybe Trent. Moving Boucher with Dragic might move the needle if we got the right guy(s) back.

GET RID OF CHAMPAGNIES IN OUR TEAM. WE NEED GOOD PLAYERS. OUR BENCH REALLY SUCKS! WE NEED A TRUE CENTER.

Champagnie is a good rebounder for 6'6 and has hit a few threes lately. But it's true he's not a polished offensive player yet. It drives me crazy to see Portland when Dame goes down they have a guy like Simons. GW has Poole. Feels like everyone but us has guys on the bench who can step in and score.

Looking back, Bonga is totally redundant and just not that good. Not saying Dekker would have saved our bench, but we should have kept him as a shooter instead of yet another "athlete" who can't score.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Ell Curry
Head Coach

Post#108 » by Ell Curry » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:57 pm

Listened to the Raptors part of Nate Duncan and Leroux's show. They suggested Malik Beasley for Dragic. That would give the Timberwolves about 26M by my back of the Napkin math to use on Beverley and a free agent, so maybe they would give Beverley an extra year to get him cheaper and still have more than the MLE to use on a forward. If Finch liked him, Boucher would fit as a signing there quite nicely. Could also be in the deal with us getting Prince and 2 of the Timberwolves 3 2nd rounders (43 + 44) though that's a little light for Boucher. Maybe we can even get a 2nd just for taking on Beasley's final year for Dragic, with Layman or Okogie in the deal for tax purposes, with a 3rd team taking on the other for another T-Wolves 2nd (still leaving them with one) so they don't pay the tax, which they're a million in and of course we're 270K under.
Where's the D?
Ell Curry
Head Coach

Post#109 » by Ell Curry » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:08 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
pcc wrote:

Champagnie is a good rebounder for 6'6 and has hit a few threes lately. But it's true he's not a polished offensive player yet. It drives me crazy to see Portland when Dame goes down they have a guy like Simons. GW has Poole. Feels like everyone but us has guys on the bench who can step in and score.

Looking back, Bonga is totally redundant and just not that good. Not saying Dekker would have saved our bench, but we should have kept him as a shooter instead of yet another "athlete" who can't score.

Champagnie is a cheap rookie with a +10 on/off. He's a great use of a roster spot so far.

Yeah, Bonga seems like we wanted a guy who's similar in style to all the forwards we have. I don't think Dekker was the guy, but yeah a shooter would have been useful if he popped into being 9th man quality, like what the Wolves seem to have developed in Jaylen Nowell, or maybe Frank Jackson on the Pistons though he sort of sucks while also getting up a ton of bombs.

Simons and Pool were late first rounders. We drafted Flynn in the same area, one pick over Desmond Bane, who would be a perfect fit here. Even Masai isn't perfect. The Knicks picking Quickley 3 or so spots before us seemed like a reach, but I wonder if he would have developed really nicely here.
Where's the D?
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,274

Post#110 » by DelAbbot » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:22 pm

After ths last month, Boucher is worth a FRP (20's).
Ell Curry wrote:Listened to the Raptors part of Nate Duncan and Leroux's show. They suggested Malik Beasley for Dragic. That would give the Timberwolves about 26M by my back of the Napkin math to use on Beverley and a free agent, so maybe they would give Beverley an extra year to get him cheaper and still have more than the MLE to use on a forward. If Finch liked him, Boucher would fit as a signing there quite nicely. Could also be in the deal with us getting Prince and 2 of the Timberwolves 3 2nd rounders (43 + 44) though that's a little light for Boucher. Maybe we can even get a 2nd just for taking on Beasley's final year for Dragic, with Layman or Okogie in the deal for tax purposes, with a 3rd team taking on the other for another T-Wolves 2nd (still leaving them with one) so they don't pay the tax, which they're a million in and of course we're 270K under.
TorontoRapsFan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,375

Post#111 » by TorontoRapsFan » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:25 pm

Ell Curry wrote:Listened to the Raptors part of Nate Duncan and Leroux's show. They suggested Malik Beasley for Dragic. That would give the Timberwolves about 26M by my back of the Napkin math to use on Beverley and a free agent, so maybe they would give Beverley an extra year to get him cheaper and still have more than the MLE to use on a forward. If Finch liked him, Boucher would fit as a signing there quite nicely. Could also be in the deal with us getting Prince and 2 of the Timberwolves 3 2nd rounders (43 + 44) though that's a little light for Boucher. Maybe we can even get a 2nd just for taking on Beasley's final year for Dragic, with Layman or Okogie in the deal for tax purposes, with a 3rd team taking on the other for another T-Wolves 2nd (still leaving them with one) so they don't pay the tax, which they're a million in and of course we're 270K under.

Beasley for Dragic is exactly the kind of trade Raptors are hoping for. Although I really doubt it happens. If they are pushing for playoff spot, giving up Beasley for Dragic is a loss in production. If they aren't, then it still doesn't make sense unless there is a FA they really want. Beasley's contract is very tradeable even if he wasn't averaging 12 pts.
Sandman88
Head Coach
And1: 6,527

Post#112 » by Sandman88 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:28 pm

Sell high on Siakam before the eventual collapse
NotMyKawhi
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,067

Post#113 » by NotMyKawhi » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:31 pm

Sandman88 wrote:Sell high on Siakam before the eventual collapse

i think getting a package the sixers are looking for simmons is the way

pascal>simmons
dante9988
Rookie
And1: 1,110

Post#114 » by dante9988 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:42 pm

Is Gary Harris worth going after. Haven't paid attention to him on the magic but he was decent in his nugget years.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,096

Post#115 » by Indeed » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:12 pm

NotMyKawhi wrote:
Sandman88 wrote:Sell high on Siakam before the eventual collapse

i think getting a package the sixers are looking for simmons is the way

pascal>simmons

And no way we want to help the sixers get out of a bad contract.
Wish they tank for another year.
G_Misconduct
Senior
And1: 955

Post#116 » by G_Misconduct » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:54 pm

I just want us to totally revamp the bench. Or at least start that process

Flynn and Boucher can maybe be packaged for an upgrade

Literally anything for Dragic would be nice

Svi and Yuta aren't really assets at this point so just let them expire I guess

I don't see a ton of benefit in adding a Turner or someone of that ilk, that would be a great move a year or two from now
Ell Curry
Head Coach

Post#117 » by Ell Curry » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:02 pm

TorontoRapsFan wrote:

Beasley for Dragic is exactly the kind of trade Raptors are hoping for. Although I really doubt it happens. If they are pushing for playoff spot, giving up Beasley for Dragic is a loss in production. If they aren't, then it still doesn't make sense unless there is a FA they really want. Beasley's contract is very tradeable even if he wasn't averaging 12 pts.

I think people might be underrating a team or two wanting to open up cap space.

For example, Minnesota can go get a much better fit for them in Otto Porter, Covington, Portis or Boucher with the cap space they'll have if they move Beasley and Nowell is outplaying him anyways as their backup 2 this season. Vanderbilt and McDaniels are gonna get ignored in the play-in or first round and they'll be looking for a forward who can stick a 3 and defend. Can they get that guy for Beasley or the MLE? Probably not. But Portis is only 26 and could sign a 3 year deal there for 48M instead of the Bucks 36/3 offer or whatever and recoup the money he's lost from turning down that Bulls extension.
Where's the D?
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,739

Post#118 » by Psubs » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:03 pm

That's a good idea.

Beasley, Bolmaro and 2nd pick for Dragic and David Johnson
Ell Curry
Head Coach

Post#119 » by Ell Curry » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:11 pm

dante9988 wrote:Is Gary Harris worth going after. Haven't paid attention to him on the magic but he was decent in his nugget years.

He had a really good December but otherwise nah. He's shooting it okay, so much better than his last few years in Denver. He was essential in that one series guarding Mitchell. I'm not sure he's worth an unprotected 2nd.

I could see Cleveland doing something like Rubio, #22 for Gary Harris, #31 since they'd get bird rights on him and Garland can't seriously be expected to guard Kyrie or Jrue Holiday in a playoff series and not get toasted.
Where's the D?
Ell Curry
Head Coach

Post#120 » by Ell Curry » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:19 pm

DelAbbot wrote:After ths last month, Boucher is worth a FRP (20's).

I don't think there's much evidence for this. I think guys like Boucher, which is to say very good 6th men, seem to go for lesser assets like an okay young prospect and a 2nd rounder, or maybe we can get a very highly protected 1st that becomes two 2nds if we take on some bad 2022 money.
Where's the D?

Return to Toronto Raptors