2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #1 Boston Celtics vs #4 Cleveland Cavaliers (BOS WINS 4-1)

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Who wins and goes to the ECFs?

Celtics in 4
24%
Celtics in 5
47%
Celtics in 6
15%
Celtics in 7
2%
Cavaliers in 4
1%
Cavaliers in 5
2%
Cavaliers in 6
5%
Cavaliers in 7
4%

Total votes: 258

Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 14,165

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #1 Boston Celtics vs #4 Cleveland Cavaliers (BOS leads 1-0) 

Post#1041 » by Chuck Everett » Fri May 10, 2024 1:57 am

picc wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:This game is a good reason why Tatum is not a tier 1 player. He’s not built to carry the load

Is it possible he's as close as you can get to being a superstar without actually being one?

I don't know what to make of Tatum. He has 3 level scoring, he can pass, but it never seems to come together fluidly according to whats happening in the moment. He doesn't seem to be able to randomly adapt his plan.

He doesn't really control games and manipulates defenses. And his handle is good, but not good enough to just navigate the court freely and at will. Watching Mitchell do that makes it obvious how lacking Tatum is in the skill.

I don't consider Mitchell a superstar either, and I'm still undecided on which of them is better. But its undeniable Mitchell is a more dynamic player on the offensive end.

The damning part for Tatum was that while Mitchell was cooking and the Cavs were pulling away, I had zero expectation of Tatum bringing them back. Or even attempting to.

Maybe thats because of how egalitarian the Celtics have become with their talent, but maybe its because I just don't believe in him. I don't know.

I'm really curious what Celtics fans make of Tatum though.

My only conclusion is he's kind of soft. Like he's not uber competitive, which is kind of surprising considering how much he idolizes Kobe.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
RB34
RealGM
And1: 16,022

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #1 Boston Celtics vs #4 Cleveland Cavaliers (Series tied 1-1) 

Post#1042 » by RB34 » Fri May 10, 2024 1:58 am

Gotta love the Celtics game threads after a loss. Fans of the non playoffs teams come out and beat their chests. Not here when the Celtics win though.
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,710

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #1 Boston Celtics vs #4 Cleveland Cavaliers (Series tied 1-1) 

Post#1043 » by itrsteve » Fri May 10, 2024 1:58 am

Bird4Three wrote:I think we’re looking at a Knicks v Timberwolves Finals

Which wouldn't be the worst thing for the NBA as a product
[quote=“dkb964”]156-1 Celtics are frauds when pressure is put on them. They would have been toast if Luka was not stupid enough to foul himself out. Enjoy this ONE finals win. There will never be another with the Js and the Celtics cant afford stacked team.[/quote]
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man
And1: 1,253

Post#1044 » by FarBeyondDriven » Fri May 10, 2024 1:58 am

Tatum lacks either the killer mentality or talent (whether physical, athletic, or skill) to be HIM. You never question that about guys like Kobe, Steph, Giannis, Jokic, Edwards, Luka, Mitchell, Lebron, KD or healthy Kawhi. There's very few of these guys so it's not really a knock. It is what it is. He's still a top 5-10 player but that special something that the truly greats have and that result in championships seems to be missing.
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,675

Post#1045 » by baldur » Fri May 10, 2024 1:59 am

Seems like they will accelerate the return of porzingis for maybe game 5 or game 6.
picc
RealGM
And1: 18,449

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #1 Boston Celtics vs #4 Cleveland Cavaliers (BOS leads 1-0) 

Post#1046 » by picc » Fri May 10, 2024 1:59 am

azcatz11 wrote:
picc wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:This game is a good reason why Tatum is not a tier 1 player. He’s not built to carry the load

Is it possible he's as close as you can get to being a superstar without actually being one?

I don't know what to make of Tatum. He has 3 level scoring, he can pass, but it never seems to come together fluidly according to whats happening in the moment. He doesn't seem to be able to randomly adapt his plan.

He doesn't really control games and manipulates defenses. And his handle is good, but not good enough to just navigate the court freely and at will. Watching Mitchell do that makes it obvious how lacking Tatum is in the skill.

I don't consider Mitchell a superstar either, and I'm still undecided on which of them is better. But its undeniable Mitchell is a more dynamic player on the offensive end.

The damning part for Tatum was that while Mitchell was cooking and the Cavs were pulling away, I had zero expectation of Tatum bringing them back. Or even attempting to.

Maybe thats because of how egalitarian the Celtics have become with their talent, but maybe its because I just don't believe in him. I don't know.

Biggest issue with him is he’s not fast twitch. If he was - he’d be literally unstoppable but it prevents him from getting easy buckets.

Good eye. Mitchell changes directions on a dime. Tatum has a swing move and euro step but it only works in a certain set of circumstances.
picc
RealGM

Post#1047 » by picc » Fri May 10, 2024 2:00 am

cgf wrote:
picc wrote:

Tatum reminds me of Tmac. He's not the same kind of playmaker and a better shooter, but both just seem content being as talented as anyone in the NBA without having that hunger to dominate that guys like Butler or Ant have.

His only similarity to Tmac is their height and lankiness. Tmac was so much smoother.
CoP
Head Coach
And1: 9,913

Post#1048 » by CoP » Fri May 10, 2024 2:00 am

We have ourselves a series! Mitchell is unstoppable at the moment.
audiosway wrote:White vs Jones Jr would be a tossup I think. But, Jrue is not better than Ky and KP wouldn't be able to start for Dallas with the current lineup.
picc
RealGM

Post#1049 » by picc » Fri May 10, 2024 2:01 am

Chuck Everett wrote:
picc wrote:

My only conclusion is he's kind of soft. Like he's not uber competitive, which is kind of surprising considering how much he idolizes Kobe.

I can't front, showing off the text to dead Kobe or whatever when they made the finals bugged me. Kobe would have clowned him for that ****.
CoP
Head Coach
And1: 9,913

Post#1050 » by CoP » Fri May 10, 2024 2:01 am

RB34 wrote:Gotta love the Celtics game threads after a loss. Fans of the non playoffs teams come out and beat their chests. Not here when the Celtics win though.

The Tatum obsession is hilarious. They can't stop talking about him.

They hate him so much more than Celtics fans love him, that's for sure.
audiosway wrote:White vs Jones Jr would be a tossup I think. But, Jrue is not better than Ky and KP wouldn't be able to start for Dallas with the current lineup.
cavs4872
Senior
And1: 259

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #1 Boston Celtics vs #4 Cleveland Cavaliers 

Post#1051 » by cavs4872 » Fri May 10, 2024 2:02 am

fallguy wrote:
cavs4872 wrote:Celtics scare me much less than Orlando. Cavs potentially get back Allen and Wade; meanwhile Celtics lose Porzingis, and people don't even mention that.

People really hate the Cavs. For the last three season we've been a pretty ugly team when Allen doesn't play, but still.

How you feeling? You have a chance to win one game. But even that seems unlikely.

I had a response to this typed prior to tonight but figured might as well let things speak for themselves.

Even regarding Game 1, Cavs were within 10-point striking distance for 3/4ths of the game, meanwhile Orlando beat us by 38 in the first game in their building.

After games 1 and 2 people were wondering how Orlando ever got the 5 seed, and then they nearly won the series.
The KnicksFix
Starter
And1: 1,824

Post#1052 » by The KnicksFix » Fri May 10, 2024 2:08 am

How nervous would Boston fans be if they lost game 3?
JJ_PR
Analyst
And1: 2,934

Post#1053 » by JJ_PR » Fri May 10, 2024 2:09 am

Tatum is the best player on the Celtics. Him being the number one option and the leader of that team is a detriment to them.

He looks passive and has a poor body language. It's always been like that with him every time I see them play. It rubs off his teammates as well, they all looked passive this game.
KGDirkTD_Fan
Senior
And1: 640

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #1 Boston Celtics vs #4 Cleveland Cavaliers 

Post#1054 » by KGDirkTD_Fan » Fri May 10, 2024 2:10 am

cavs4872 wrote:
fallguy wrote:
cavs4872 wrote:Celtics scare me much less than Orlando. Cavs potentially get back Allen and Wade; meanwhile Celtics lose Porzingis, and people don't even mention that.

People really hate the Cavs. For the last three season we've been a pretty ugly team when Allen doesn't play, but still.

How you feeling? You have a chance to win one game. But even that seems unlikely.

I had a response to this typed prior to tonight but figured might as well let things speak for themselves.

Even regarding Game 1, Cavs were within 10-point striking distance for 3/4ths of the game, meanwhile Orlando beat us by 38 in the first game in their building.

After games 1 and 2 people were wondering how Orlando ever got the 5 seed, and then they nearly won the series.

I'm not sure why its to crazy to say that the Cavs can match up well against the Celtics. Yes they are deeper and more talented, there's ways they can play against the Celtics where as just telling Mobley to stop getting bodied by the Magic/Knicks felt impossible. We will see what happens, they're title favorites for a reason, so they will respond in game 3, Cavs need to be ready for it.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,997

Post#1055 » by thelead » Fri May 10, 2024 2:10 am

So much for the ‘winner of Cavs vs Magic are just going to get swept by the Celtics anyway’ talk…
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,505

Post#1056 » by Stone » Fri May 10, 2024 2:14 am

Shades of Christian laettner on Holgrams catch and shoot
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
JimmyFromNz
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,030

Post#1057 » by JimmyFromNz » Fri May 10, 2024 2:14 am

picc wrote:

I think this is it in bold. He's trying to walk that tight rope of deference when his shot isn't falling and taking complete control of a string of plays when its necessary. The balance is awkward with multiple options, but I do think he can pick his spots better.

A large part of that issue I would put on the Celtics coaching staff, there's little to no intervention at the crunch points in the game where its absolutely needed.

Side note, not remotely worried about this series. Today is just bread crumbs for those itching for a feed.
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 16,501

Post#1058 » by KnixtapeH20 » Fri May 10, 2024 2:15 am

CelticSooner wrote:Can you win a championship if your offense is based so much around making threes? The defense tonight was disheartening. That should not be happening.

Steph Curry & the Warriors have entered the chat.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,194

Post#1059 » by Wingy » Fri May 10, 2024 2:16 am

Buckeye-NBAFan wrote:I didn't understand the Jrue Holiday trade given how bad Holiday has been in the playoffs

The good news is Holiday is giving the Celtics exactly what he gave the Bucks, just with lower usage since the Celtics don't need him to shoot as much, so they have no one to blame but themselves

Side note: Team USA’s perimeter defense is leaning heavily on this guy after a theoretically long playoff run.
ryan in Maine
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,155

Post#1060 » by ryan in Maine » Fri May 10, 2024 2:17 am

More time for Porzingis to rest!

Return to The General Board