ImageImageImage

FIBA World Cup

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Froob, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,112

Re: FIBA World Cup 

Post#1441 » by Parliament10 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:42 pm

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,395

Post#1442 » by Red2 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:31 pm

well that sucked and the article by John Karalis at masslive.com didn't make me feel any better. I want to believe we will be better and more fun to watch next year but this FIBA debacle just poured cold water on that. Maybe if Tatum isn't hurt we get past France and then who knows but I don't see how being a part of the worst US men's team ever is a positive thing. And I worry that the same problems that plagued us last year ( too many wings, too much individual play when things break down) are going to plague us this year. It all seemed great a few weeks ago and now not so much. And naturally Danny drafted another wing in Langford who can't shoot and now is saying he may need to trade for a power forward. Earth to Danny- why didn't you just draft one? Brandon Clark was sitting there for the taking. I know there's another thread on this but Danny's drafting has been a head scratcher at time. and please don't give me terry rozier. the 2015 draft and the 2016 draft were both bad and that's not even mentioning the misses on Giannis,Siakem, Green and others. I like Carsen Edwards but don't get the Langford pick and question whether Grant Williams is big enough. when are we going to get some skilled bigs for crying out loud? How many more non shooting wings and combo guards do we need to draft?
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,918

Post#1443 » by return2glory » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:31 pm

ermocrate wrote:Those losses were set in stone before the start of the World Cup, USA is inferior to France and Serbia.

France isn’t that great. US team had the team to team it all, not be dominant but good enough to win it all. But they needed a better head coach to inspire the players and get get to play to their fullest potentials. Coach Poop hasn’t been that guy for a few years now.

Side note: France just lost to Argentina.
StojkoVrankovic
RealGM
And1: 9,600

Post#1444 » by StojkoVrankovic » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:59 pm

Red2 wrote:well that sucked and the article by John Karalis at masslive.com didn't make me feel any better. I want to believe we will be better and more fun to watch next year but this FIBA debacle just poured cold water on that. Maybe if Tatum isn't hurt we get past France and then who knows but I don't see how being a part of the worst US men's team ever is a positive thing. And I worry that the same problems that plagued us last year ( too many wings, too much individual play when things break down) are going to plague us this year. It all seemed great a few weeks ago and now not so much. And naturally Danny drafted another wing in Langford who can't shoot and now is saying he may need to trade for a power forward. Earth to Danny- why didn't you just draft one? Brandon Clark was sitting there for the taking. I know there's another thread on this but Danny's drafting has been a head scratcher at time. and please don't give me terry rozier. the 2015 draft and the 2016 draft were both bad and that's not even mentioning the misses on Giannis,Siakem, Green and others. I like Carsen Edwards but don't get the Langford pick and question whether Grant Williams is big enough. when are we going to get some skilled bigs for crying out loud? How many more non shooting wings and combo guards do we need to draft?

that was a bull click bait article that has zero correlation with our team.
RIP texas celtic, 12/10/14 - 12/10/14
GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,992

Post#1445 » by GregB » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:29 pm

return2glory wrote:
ermocrate wrote:Those losses were set in stone before the start of the World Cup, USA is inferior to France and Serbia.

France isn’t that great. US team had the team to team it all, not be dominant but good enough to win it all. But they needed a better head coach to inspire the players and get get to play to their fullest potentials. Coach Poop hasn’t been that guy for a few years now.

Side note: France just lost to Argentina.

France was an awful matchup. Rudy Gobert ate our bigs for lunch.
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#1446 » by Slartibartfast » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:43 am

Red2 wrote:well that sucked and the article by John Karalis at masslive.com didn't make me feel any better. I want to believe we will be better and more fun to watch next year but this FIBA debacle just poured cold water on that. Maybe if Tatum isn't hurt we get past France and then who knows but I don't see how being a part of the worst US men's team ever is a positive thing. And I worry that the same problems that plagued us last year ( too many wings, too much individual play when things break down) are going to plague us this year. It all seemed great a few weeks ago and now not so much. And naturally Danny drafted another wing in Langford who can't shoot and now is saying he may need to trade for a power forward. Earth to Danny- why didn't you just draft one? Brandon Clark was sitting there for the taking. I know there's another thread on this but Danny's drafting has been a head scratcher at time. and please don't give me terry rozier. the 2015 draft and the 2016 draft were both bad and that's not even mentioning the misses on Giannis,Siakem, Green and others. I like Carsen Edwards but don't get the Langford pick and question whether Grant Williams is big enough. when are we going to get some skilled bigs for crying out loud? How many more non shooting wings and combo guards do we need to draft?

I agree on too many wings and a lot of the team USA problems mirroring our roster construction.

But I think Romeo has plenty of capacity to pleasantly surprise you.

He's a true SG on a team overloaded with SFs. His shooting needs to improve, obviously, but he can handle, create, run PNR and defend his position.

We just need to move one of our SFs for a proper big.
Taget
Analyst
And1: 2,631

Post#1447 » by Taget » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:15 am

There isn't any reason to feel down about the upcoming season. While yes it is a bit worrisome that a team led by our best players tanked we won't be facing teams nearly as fearsome as France and Australia in the NBA. We will also have a stronger team with players such as Semi Ojeleye rather than scrubs such as Donovan Mitchell.

But in all seriousness FIBA rules aren't NBA rules. I actually kinda wish they were because it seems almost bizarro world to see American players complaining about FIBA being too "physical" when it was not too long ago that "euro ball" and "soft" were synonymous. It just shows how much recent rule changes (as well as some related analytic related changes) have really changed the game for the worse. I am not saying go back to 1990 era bully ball but we have gone so far in the opposite direction that teams are asking whether the position of "power forward" is obsolete.
[quote:545636310b="Darth Celtic"]man, these refs need to stop giving us the benefit of the doubt and start screwing us.[/quote]

ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,808

Post#1448 » by ParticleMan » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:19 am

the C's bigs aren't very good but they are myles better than what team USA had. sorry, i'm not a big turner fan, basically a 7-foot SF, and plumlee can't defend, rebound, or score, so i'm not sure what his actual role is. the days of the USA just showing up and owning the world are gone. i don't think that has anything much to do with the celtics team. meanwhile i'm kinda excited about poirier and kanter, and the wildcard that is time lord.

i don't think we have any chance at being true contenders next year but it will be a fun scrappy team if everyone buys in to brad's system. danny isn't done making moves either.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#1449 » by Parliament10 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:10 am

USA vs Poland
4:00 AM, EST, Sat. 13, 2019 (For 7th/8th Place)
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#1450 » by Parliament10 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:35 am

Smart, Tatum & Walker, all Benched.
Only a 9-Man Rotation.

This is definitely why there needs to be 15-Men on a Roster.

Read on Twitter
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#1451 » by Parliament10 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:46 am

I'm like the only one watching this.

Team USA - 8/13 from Three.
Poland ------ 1/15 from Three.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#1452 » by Parliament10 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:12 am

10-min Quarters suck.
Bring it up to 12.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 12,143

Post#1453 » by Kalela » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:21 am

I wonder who will bring Mateusz Ponitka over to the NBA. He is a good player and should be in this league.
Edit: Extend Mazzulla
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#1454 » by Parliament10 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:22 am

Geezus!!!
Keep the Bigs in the game.

Only 9-Men playing, for the USA.
You take 2 guys out, and it's only a 7-Man!!!
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#1455 » by Parliament10 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:23 am

Kalela wrote:I wonder who will bring Mateusz Ponitka over to the NBA. He is a good player and should be in this league.

Wow. I thought I was the only one watching this.

Adam WACZYNSKI is pretty good too.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 12,143

Post#1456 » by Kalela » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:41 am

Is there a reason Brown is always benched at the end of games. Even Stevens does it. Anyhow this tournament was really good for him. He still has a lot of things to work on but I like what I have seen from him.
Edit: Extend Mazzulla
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#1457 » by Slartibartfast » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:56 pm

ParticleMan wrote:the C's bigs aren't very good but they are myles better than what team USA had. sorry, i'm not a big turner fan, basically a 7-foot SF, and plumlee can't defend, rebound, or score, so i'm not sure what his actual role is. the days of the USA just showing up and owning the world are gone. i don't think that has anything much to do with the celtics team. meanwhile i'm kinda excited about poirier and kanter, and the wildcard that is time lord.

i don't think we have any chance at being true contenders next year but it will be a fun scrappy team if everyone buys in to brad's system. danny isn't done making moves either.

The good news is that the NBA will be kinder to the Team USA pace and space approach than FIBA was. Bigs have to play with less contact, guards have more room to operate.

But this run did raise some red flags for our roster construction. The Kemba + a million small forwards approach has problems on both sides of the court. Offensively they are vulnerable to good point-of-attack defense that cuts off Kemba as the head of the snake and forces the forwards to create. The lack of a top notch set-up guard also leads to offensive disorganization under pressure. The lack of a good high post passing big (Plumlee is good at this but has other limitations that kept him off the floor) takes away another release valve. The lack of size also hurts the quality of screens putting more pressure on the team to go iso.

Defensively, being small at the point of attack and at the 4 creates significant holes for half-court match-ups, team D and rebounding. The good news here is that we have some big, physical guys in Kanter and Poirier who can mitigate this a bit better than team USA bigs (though they will obviously have problems with PNR defense).

I also like the wrinkles that our rookies can bring. USA could have badly used Carsen Edwards. We saw how effective Patty Mills was. Romeo Langford's skillset would have been useful too - a good sized ball-handling release valve (Ingles, Batum, Satoransky all key in FIBA) and physical finisher. And Grant Williams would have been awesome - big screens, the heft to handle big men, high post passing, jump-shooting.
5InOfLouisville
Senior
And1: 818

Post#1458 » by 5InOfLouisville » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:44 pm

I dont think team usa’s **** performance really tells us anything about the celtics upcoming season.
KGboss wrote:Brown doesnt need you to clean his jock strap for him

Captain_Caveman wrote:You are perfectly welcome to never read or respond to my posts ever again. I don't find you particularly knowledgeable or insightful from anything I have read to date.

:cry:
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 12,060

Post#1459 » by FlatearthZorro » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:00 pm

5InOfLouisville wrote:I dont think team usa’s **** performance really tells us anything about the celtics upcoming season.

Feel pretty much the same. NBA is very different game overall.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,918

Post#1460 » by return2glory » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:18 pm

Return to Boston Celtics