ImageImageImageImageImage

With the 13th Pick, the Raptors select Gradey Dick.

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, Morris_Shatford, DG88, HiJiNX, niQ, Reeko, lebron stopper

REJECTEDBYCLARK
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,164

Re: With the 13th Pick, the Raptors select Gradey Dick. 

Post#1661 » by REJECTEDBYCLARK » Sat Jul 1, 2023 3:46 am

Dalek wrote:
PhilBlackson wrote:I don't see much star potential, he's still pretty slow footed for a wing.

I would hope his upside could be something like an even better shooting Hayward but I don't think he's able to create at the same level with the ball in his hands as GH was better able to do when he was with the Jazz.

Really what I think they need to work with him on, is extending his 3pt range even more. Is he a pure enough/good enough shooter to be like Steph, Dame, Trae and bomb away several feet behind the 3pt line?!? Because if he can demand that level of gravity on a defence then I can see some star potential, without out it he seems more like a Huerter level guy which is definitely fun to have but I would've elected to draft a player that I believed we could developed to hopefully become an an all-star (I think Whitmore would've been a very different player if he was developed here vs the Wild West in HOU).

I think differently with Gradey. He has shown mastery of shooting off the catch, pull-ups and can attack hard closeouts. He also has a bit of finishing ability given his athleticism and dexterity but strength and weight hold him back a bit.

This is Toronto, so we typically develop multi-tool guys. Gradey being only 19 and having a frame that will add more weight is going to change his game over time. I am actually thinking we haven't fully even seen if he has a floor game to pass. I'd like to think he is going to keep developing and be a lot more like Manu Ginobli but your Hayward comp could also apply and is probably more reasonable.

My read on Gradey is that in Kansas he was asked to be a role player and he did his thing at a high level. At the NBA level with Darko pushing him he could unlock more guard like ability to drive and pass which we didn't get to see at Kansas that much. Look at what Darko helped with Desmond Bane development last season.

What sold me on Gradey was in one of his recent interviews he talked about goals setting with his Dad. He is a very focused individual with a great work ethic, and he has some creativity with the ball that I think will show in time.

Yeah that's stuff we really didn't see much of at Kansas but that he has in him. It's very encouraging.
bboyskinnylegs
RealGM
And1: 25,589

Post#1662 » by bboyskinnylegs » Sat Jul 1, 2023 1:38 pm

with Fred leaving and so far only Schroder joining us with Yak returning, Gradey's going to have a great shot at minutes in his rookie year, especially with Yak/Scottie.
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,614

Post#1663 » by StopitLeo » Sat Jul 1, 2023 3:42 pm

Dalek wrote:
I think differently with Gradey. He has shown mastery of shooting off the catch, pull-ups and can attack hard closeouts. He also has a bit of finishing ability given his athleticism and dexterity but strength and weight hold him back a bit.

This is Toronto, so we typically develop multi-tool guys. Gradey being only 19 and having a frame that will add more weight is going to change his game over time. I am actually thinking we haven't fully even seen if he has a floor game to pass. I'd like to think he is going to keep developing and be a lot more like Manu Ginobli but your Hayward comp could also apply and is probably more reasonable.

My read on Gradey is that in Kansas he was asked to be a role player and he did his thing at a high level. At the NBA level with Darko pushing him he could unlock more guard like ability to drive and pass which we didn't get to see at Kansas that much. Look at what Darko helped with Desmond Bane development last season.

What sold me on Gradey was in one of his recent interviews he talked about goals setting with his Dad. He is a very focused individual with a great work ethic, and he has some creativity with the ball that I think will show in time.

I agree with your assessment. Gradey has a solid base of fundamentals and skills that should support his development. He’s smart, athletic, and moves fluidly with good footwork and coordination. You know he’s going to work hard too because you don’t become that elite of a shooter without patience, dedication, and attention to detail.

Like most rookies he will obviously need time to add strength and size but he’s already stronger than some might think. Something I noticed in his highlights is that he knows how to brace himself to take contact when he goes in for a layup in order to allow him to get a decent shot off versus just trying to power his way up and through the defender.
Thaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,188

Post#1664 » by Thaddy » Sat Jul 1, 2023 10:18 pm

He should be a starter next season.

OG and Poeltl are 4th and 5th options if we want to be good. Dick can at least use a screener and hit shots off the dribble. OG's shot looks more like it's suited for catch and shoot type of shots.

Trent shot 29% on corner threes last season and the other options aren't great at shooting. I have a feeling Dick will bring more than just shooting with him.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 45,768

Post#1665 » by WuTang_OG » Sun Jul 2, 2023 7:05 am

nestea
Veteran
And1: 1,830

Post#1666 » by nestea » Sun Jul 2, 2023 7:17 am

WuTang_OG wrote:

Will be a fan favourite
Im an Optomist, not an optometrist!
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#1667 » by WuTang_OG » Sun Jul 2, 2023 7:23 am

will
RealGM
And1: 50,453
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#1668 » by will » Sun Jul 2, 2023 11:55 am

Thaddy wrote:He should be a starter next season.

OG and Poeltl are 4th and 5th options if we want to be good. Dick can at least use a screener and hit shots off the dribble. OG's shot looks more like it's suited for catch and shoot type of shots.

Trent shot 29% on corner threes last season and the other options aren't great at shooting. I have a feeling Dick will bring more than just shooting with him.

We'll see this once Pascal is traded.
manjusaka
Senior
And1: 460

Post#1669 » by manjusaka » Sun Jul 2, 2023 5:20 pm

REJECTEDBYCLARK wrote:
Dalek wrote:
PhilBlackson wrote:I don't see much star potential, he's still pretty slow footed for a wing.

I would hope his upside could be something like an even better shooting Hayward but I don't think he's able to create at the same level with the ball in his hands as GH was better able to do when he was with the Jazz.

Really what I think they need to work with him on, is extending his 3pt range even more. Is he a pure enough/good enough shooter to be like Steph, Dame, Trae and bomb away several feet behind the 3pt line?!? Because if he can demand that level of gravity on a defence then I can see some star potential, without out it he seems more like a Huerter level guy which is definitely fun to have but I would've elected to draft a player that I believed we could developed to hopefully become an an all-star (I think Whitmore would've been a very different player if he was developed here vs the Wild West in HOU).

Yeah that's stuff we really didn't see much of at Kansas but that he has in him. It's very encouraging.

I didn’t thought about the Gordon Hayward comparison until I read this post.

I’m stunned by how similar they are physically based on the combine measurements.

Hayward. Dick
Hand length 8.5. 8.25
Hand width 9.25. 9
Height w/o. 6’6.75. 6’6.25
Reach. 8’75. 8’5
Weight 211. 204
Wingspan 6’7.5. 6’8.75

Lane aglty 11.73. 11.13
3/4 sprint. 3.22. 3.5
Standing V. 30. 29
Max vertical. 34.5. 34
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 23,203

Post#1670 » by ItsDanger » Sun Jul 2, 2023 5:43 pm

Sportsnet has access to someone with a lot of college game experience and connections: Dan Shulman. Can't they get him on to give his opinion on the selection? Maybe he has been on but I never see it.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,934
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#1671 » by Boogie! » Sun Jul 2, 2023 7:34 pm

manjusaka wrote:
REJECTEDBYCLARK wrote:
Dalek wrote:

I didn’t thought about the Gordon Hayward comparison until I read this post.

I’m stunned by how similar they are physically based on the combine measurements.

Hayward. Dick
Hand length 8.5. 8.25
Hand width 9.25. 9
Height w/o. 6’6.75. 6’6.25
Reach. 8’75. 8’5
Weight 211. 204
Wingspan 6’7.5. 6’8.75

Lane aglty 11.73. 11.13
3/4 sprint. 3.22. 3.5
Standing V. 30. 29
Max vertical. 34.5. 34

I'm not sure why people want dick to be another ball dominant wing. His skillset is the type this team has needed for a while. Someone that doesn't need to handle the ball and is good at moving without it, cutting, catching and shooting. This is the type of basketball the warriors built their dynasty on. If prefer he be more klay thompskn than Gordon Hayward.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
GP2
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,998

Post#1672 » by GP2 » Sun Jul 2, 2023 7:37 pm

Boogie! wrote:I'm not sure why people want dick to be another ball dominant wing. His skillset is the type this team has needed for a while. Someone that doesn't need to handle the ball and is good at moving without it, cutting, catching and shooting. This is the type of basketball the warriors built their dynasty on. If prefer he be more klay thompskn than Gordon Hayward.

I think the idea is to make him as well-rounded as possible so that we have options. It's probably not realistic though, so I would agree in terms of archetype, I'd rather have Klay than Hayward, especially if we're factoring in defence.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#1673 » by WuTang_OG » Sun Jul 2, 2023 8:49 pm

Everyone please officially welcome Mr. Dick

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=0YpMScWXY2zRUqR8fH-usg
REJECTEDBYCLARK
Lead Assistant

Post#1674 » by REJECTEDBYCLARK » Sun Jul 2, 2023 8:53 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:Everyone please officially welcome Mr. Dick

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=0YpMScWXY2zRUqR8fH-usg

REJECTEDBYCLARK
Lead Assistant

Post#1675 » by REJECTEDBYCLARK » Sun Jul 2, 2023 9:20 pm

Can MLSE please use that as Gradey Dick's official anthem, thanks.
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,579

Post#1676 » by HumbleRen » Mon Jul 3, 2023 3:25 am

Will be fun to see how he performs at summer league
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 21,586

Post#1677 » by mtcan » Mon Jul 3, 2023 3:31 am

REJECTEDBYCLARK wrote:Can MLSE please use that as Gradey Dick's official anthem, thanks.

dTox
RealGM
And1: 16,120

Post#1678 » by dTox » Mon Jul 3, 2023 4:06 am

I've been so infatuated with all the rumor threads that I almost forgot we had this stud on the team, looking forward to watching some summer league action

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
TBZ for the win
manjusaka
Senior
And1: 460

Post#1679 » by manjusaka » Mon Jul 3, 2023 4:49 am

GP2 wrote:
Boogie! wrote:I'm not sure why people want dick to be another ball dominant wing. His skillset is the type this team has needed for a while. Someone that doesn't need to handle the ball and is good at moving without it, cutting, catching and shooting. This is the type of basketball the warriors built their dynasty on. If prefer he be more klay thompskn than Gordon Hayward.

I think the idea is to make him as well-rounded as possible so that we have options. It's probably not realistic though, so I would agree in terms of archetype, I'd rather have Klay than Hayward, especially if we're factoring in defence.

I am totally fine if Dick become Klay or Middleton type of scorer. But I am greedy. And I see him having a good instinct on passing and attacking the basket. Basically a triple threat talent and three level scorer. Scottie may never be a go to guy scorer, so we better develop one. We don’t need him to be really ball dominant, as long as he can be a secondary ball handler is good enough. Put him in Jamel Murray’s role and we can have Dick+Trent Jr. backcourt.
Thaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,188

Post#1680 » by Thaddy » Mon Jul 3, 2023 5:48 am

I want to see him dominate the ball at summer league and take the lion's share of shots. It would be nice to see him develop some chemistry with Koloko in the pick and roll. If he can hit him for some lobs on the roll that would give us another combo off the bench. I hate the Boucher/Achiuwa combo and we should look to break it up as soon as we can.

I'm not ready to give up on Achiuwa but replacing him with a great combo guard is exactly what we need. I think Gradey will be more of a guard than a forward too so finding the right fit next to him isn't a bad idea.

Achiuwa for White is the most realistic target we could probably have now.

Return to Toronto Raptors