Post#181 » by OxAndFox » Mon Jan 8, 2024 11:14 pm

Double Post.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,476

Re: 2023-2024 Trade Thread 

Post#182 » by KF10 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 11:32 pm

OxAndFox wrote:Ok. So does it sound like the Siakam deal was Barnes/Huerter/Pick(s) for Siakam and Toronto wanted to swap in Monk instead of Huerter and Monte wouldn't do it as they don't want to max Siakam?

Apparently, Siakam won't sign with Sacramento.

Making him effectively a 4 month rental.
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,433

Post#183 » by OxAndFox » Mon Jan 8, 2024 11:43 pm

KF10 wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:Ok. So does it sound like the Siakam deal was Barnes/Huerter/Pick(s) for Siakam and Toronto wanted to swap in Monk instead of Huerter and Monte wouldn't do it as they don't want to max Siakam?

Oh ok. The only thing that I had seen was Monte didn't want to sign him to a max contract. Makes sense though.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,476

Post#184 » by KF10 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 11:52 pm

OxAndFox wrote:
KF10 wrote:

Oh ok. The only thing that I had seen was Monte didn't want to sign him to a max contract. Makes sense though.

Read on Twitter
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#185 » by OxAndFox » Tue Jan 9, 2024 3:33 am

Ok Monte. Now go and get Marcus Smart. Shooting be damned at least he will play D and let people know when they're not doing their job.
BoogieTime
General Manager
And1: 2,856

Post#186 » by BoogieTime » Tue Jan 9, 2024 4:10 am

Need some confirmation on whether the Kings can re-sign Monk with cap space beyond his early bird

If they can, I would think it would be a prime reason why they are targeting Siakam, if they dont think they can keep Malik with just early bird. Bunch of money will be going out to acquire him and they can re-sign him after Monk is taken care of
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,639

Post#187 » by codydaze » Tue Jan 9, 2024 5:31 am

BoogieTime wrote:Need some confirmation on whether the Kings can re-sign Monk with cap space beyond his early bird

If they can, I would think it would be a prime reason why they are targeting Siakam, if they dont think they can keep Malik with just early bird. Bunch of money will be going out to acquire him and they can re-sign him after Monk is taken care of

I looked it up and was wrong about being able to sign Monk for more than his early bird extension if we had available cap space. The early bird extension limit only comes into play when extending him if we don't have cap so if we were to trade for Siakam then theoretically we could sign Monk for more and then extend Siakam as well.

That could certainly be a factor in negotiating from Toronto's side as well if they have their eyes on Monk as FA target. I could definitely see them wanting more if getting Siakam means we can outbid them on Monk too.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#188 » by OxAndFox » Tue Jan 9, 2024 6:34 am

codydaze wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:Need some confirmation on whether the Kings can re-sign Monk with cap space beyond his early bird

I looked it up and was wrong about being able to sign Monk for more than his early bird extension if we had available cap space. The early bird extension limit only comes into play when extending him if we don't have cap so if we were to trade for Siakam then theoretically we could sign Monk for more and then extend Siakam as well.

That could certainly be a factor in negotiating from Toronto's side as well if they have their eyes on Monk as FA target. I could definitely see them wanting more if getting Siakam means we can outbid them on Monk too.

I'm not sure the Kings could do both. Siakam's cap hold would be $56m and Monk's is just under $13m.
Think it might be what Boogie is hinting at and the Kings getting far enough under the cap to sign Monk to whatever is required?
Seems Monte might be trying to get far enough under the cap next season to sign Monk while staying as competitive as possible this season.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,120

Post#189 » by OGSactownballer » Tue Jan 9, 2024 7:49 pm

From the way this past summer went I can completely see this.

It also is one of the standard type of operating modes for Monte’s mentor Darryl Morey.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,120

Post#190 » by OGSactownballer » Tue Jan 9, 2024 7:51 pm

Monk can also be signed to a one year (if he is willing) with a silent promise of being taken care of at true value with full bird rights the following season.
BoogieTime
General Manager

Post#191 » by BoogieTime » Tue Jan 9, 2024 7:54 pm

OGSactownballer wrote:Monk can also be signed to a one year (if he is willing) with a silent promise of being taken care of at true value with full bird rights the following season.

Thats a bit tricky... Its tricky for the paying team if something happens to him physically or his play (Harden in Philly lol), and its tricky for Monk who hasn't amassed too much in salary yet. But hopefully it works out if we aren't able to get below the cap
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,947

Post#192 » by LightTheBeam » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:04 pm

So little round up. OG has been traded, Siakam doesn't want Sac, Jazz are winning and unlikely to move Lauri, Wiggins is risky. I think our options for making a big splash are pretty much gone. I posted this on the T&T board and I really love the idea for Sac. Assume Sac would have to add at least 1 1st here.

Sac out: Huerter, Mitchell, Barnes
Sac in: DFS, O'Neale, Dinwiddie

Chicago out: Lavine
Chicago in: Huerter, Barnes

Nets out: Dinwiddie, DFS, O'Neale
Nets in: LaVine, Mitchell

It moves Monk to the starting lineup, but realistically right now we don't have a legit 3rd guard who makes sense. Dinwiddie having a horrible year like Huerter, but could definitely use a change. With Monk, Fox, Dinwiddie we have 3 legit guards who can run an offense, and will have 2 ball handlers on the court at all times. We've seen Fox wear down a bit from having to do so much dribble penetration and now hes tired and deferring to the 3pt shot and Monk. Dinwiddie gives us another guy who has that ability.

DFS/O'Neale give us two long defenders who shoot 3s. Dinwiddie/O'Neale both expire so I believe we could either resign them to fair market values or become a cap space team again pretty easily.

I'm of the opinion this team doesn't need to rush a trade for a star. Keegan is in year 2 and shown plenty of flashes that stardom is coming. I anticipate a huge year 3 leap. But what we need to do is find role players who can do the thing we need. Shoot, Dribble, Defend.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#193 » by City of Trees » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:02 pm

Three more days until Kuzma is eligible for trade
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#194 » by City of Trees » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:14 pm

Lowe says the Kings don't want to add a big contract in any trade. Kyle Kuzma YOU are a Sacramento King
BoogieTime
General Manager

Post#195 » by BoogieTime » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:59 pm

City of Trees wrote:Lowe says the Kings don't want to add a big contract in any trade. Kyle Kuzma YOU are a Sacramento King

I think one of the reasons if because they want to get under the cap for Monk, who IMO will supersede a early bird

Thats why they were targeting a EXPIRING Siakam IMO, over a more fitting Grant IMO (Siakam's value could be so low it could rival the cost it would take to give Barnes/Huerter/Mitchell to some team for expirings)
FarBeyondDriven
Starter
And1: 1,497

Post#196 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:42 am

BoogieTime wrote:
City of Trees wrote:Lowe says the Kings don't want to add a big contract in any trade. Kyle Kuzma YOU are a Sacramento King

I think one of the reasons if because they want to get under the cap for Monk, who IMO will supersede a early bird

Thats why they were targeting a EXPIRING Siakam IMO, over a more fitting Grant IMO (Siakam's value could be so low it could rival the cost it would take to give Barnes/Huerter/Mitchell to some team for expirings)

madness. So we're desperate to just run it back? If we aren't real competitors with Monk on the cheap, how do we get better after paying him big money? Make it make sense? Are they seriously banking on some type of major step up from Murray? It's not going to happen. Huge upside was never on the cards for him as a prospect. At best we were always looking for him to be Middleton or Mikal light. Neither of which inspire much confidence as a #3. But it's damn perfect to remain pretenders and keep the seats filled and owners making money :nonono:
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,947

Post#197 » by LightTheBeam » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:52 pm

Don't love the guy but he's definitely an upgrade. Love to sneak Tyus into the deal to be our 3rd guard.
BoogieTime
General Manager

Post#198 » by BoogieTime » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:42 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

madness. So we're desperate to just run it back? If we aren't real competitors with Monk on the cheap, how do we get better after paying him big money? Make it make sense? Are they seriously banking on some type of major step up from Murray? It's not going to happen. Huge upside was never on the cards for him as a prospect. At best we were always looking for him to be Middleton or Mikal light. Neither of which inspire much confidence as a #3. But it's damn perfect to remain pretenders and keep the seats filled and owners making money :nonono:

I'm not a fan of Ham but at least he is talking about Monk's pending FA

https://www.si.com/nba/kings/news/kings-malik-monk-chase-money-free-agency

I wasn't a fan of Malik, but he is the team's emotional leader at this point. He has also replaced his inconsistency last year with consistency and an evolving game. If the Kings don't see some type of sweetheart of a deal, the only moves we should see are clearing out salary to keep him.

The moves to get better will have to happen in subsequent years if at all

All rumors of interest in other players adding salary and not expirings like Siakam came before Malik solidly superseding early bird territory IMO. Monte can't just say no one will offer him a contract or "he loves Sacramento" like fans can, he's impactful and will do what's best for him and needs to be planned for IMO
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#199 » by City of Trees » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:54 pm

With Monk leaving a legit possibility is there any chance we see Monte tear it down to the axle and frame (Ox & Fox)? Trade Barnes, Huerter, Davion for an expiring

Re-mold the supporting cast around Fox, Sabonis, Murray?

Fox / ? / Ellis

? / Duarte / Colby Jones

Murray / ?

? / Lyles / Sasha

Sabonis / ?

This feels like a steep hill to climb in one off-season and no 1st round pick.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#200 » by City of Trees » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:22 pm

Ignoring how unlikely this scenario sounds- If the Kings trade Monk now would that allow them to offer a larger contract in the off-season?

Return to Sacramento Kings