ImageImageImage

Season Speculation, Free Agency & Trade Ideas: Our Johnson is finally working

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

AtheJ415
Head Coach
And1: 5,373

Re: Season Speculation, Free Agency & Trade Ideas: Our Johnson is finally working 

Post#1821 » by AtheJ415 » Thu Mar 7, 2019 4:29 am

jcsunsfan wrote:
hollywood6964 wrote:
cberry78 wrote:Bench player might be a stretch, but he does fit next to DB so far, and Johnson at 9 or 10 mil is going to be hell of a lot easier to trade than Johnson at 19 mil. Plus you'd have the benefit of added cap space this year, and control of him for a few more years. Barring stretching his contract over the next 3 years, an extension makes his contract a much easier pill to swallow if he just flames out.

I would put that 10 mil toward a better asset. That's my opinion.

Tyler is owed $21 million for next year, but he also has a player ETO to exercise if he wants. We have to figure out what he is worth to us in the open market. Let's say $8 million per year. We might get him to tear up that final year by offering him something like $48 million for four years.

20 for one year plus, 8 million for 3, plus 2 million to make it worth his while. This is probably lowballing.

But something like this could get us an extra $9 million in cap money.

I'm pretty sure something like this is not possible. We can frontload a deal, but it can only decline at a certain rate. If this was doable teams like us with cap space last offseason would've given a number of middling dudes crazy deals with year 1 at the max and the rest at league minimum. It would happen all the time.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Re: Season Speculation, Free Agency & Trade Ideas: Our Johnson is finally working 

Post#1822 » by jcsunsfan » Thu Mar 7, 2019 6:45 am

Frank Lee wrote:If we need the cap space you redo his deal. If not, so be it.... but he’s a guy I could see being here for 3-4 yrs. solid D, gritty gym rat who plays the right way.

Tyler Johnson is the type of player we want on this team as a backup long term. So I agree.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach

Post#1823 » by jcsunsfan » Thu Mar 7, 2019 6:53 am

AtheJ415 wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:
hollywood6964 wrote:I would put that 10 mil toward a better asset. That's my opinion.

Tyler is owed $21 million for next year, but he also has a player ETO to exercise if he wants. We have to figure out what he is worth to us in the open market. Let's say $8 million per year. We might get him to tear up that final year by offering him something like $48 million for four years.

20 for one year plus, 8 million for 3, plus 2 million to make it worth his while. This is probably lowballing.

I'm pretty sure something like this is not possible. We can frontload a deal, but it can only decline at a certain rate. If this was doable teams like us with cap space last offseason would've given a number of middling dudes crazy deals with year 1 at the max and the rest at league minimum. It would happen all the time.

You misunderstand. It would be a normal four year 48 million dollar deal. But in order to get it, he has to take his early termination offer and opt out of his present deal. I just used the 20 plus 8x3 to show that he gets the same money in the end. Right now TJ is owed $19 million and change for next year. But he can opt out of that contract if he wants. He would be stupid to do that of course unless we make it worth his while. If he is worth $8 million per year on the open market, we could offer him a 4 year 48 million dollar deal, paid out as a normal contract. He gets overpaid for four years for tearing up his $20 million deal this year.

Am I making sense?
RedIndian
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,848

Post#1824 » by RedIndian » Thu Mar 7, 2019 7:05 am

I like Johnson, and what he has brought to the team, but not at the cost of a 12 million cap hit for the next 4 years. I'd rather he picks up his option, and we use that expiring (packaged either with our pick or JJ) in a trade for a player like Jrue, Conley or Aaron Gordon.

If we like him enough to be part of this team long term, we can always sign him on a nice deal in 2020 when he is a UFA.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach

Post#1825 » by jcsunsfan » Thu Mar 7, 2019 7:22 am

RedIndian wrote:I like Johnson, and what he has brought to the team, but not at the cost of a 12 million cap hit for the next 4 years. I'd rather he picks up his option, and we use that expiring (packaged either with our pick or JJ) in a trade for a player like Jrue, Conley or Aaron Gordon.

If we like him enough to be part of this team long term, we can always sign him on a nice deal in 2020 when he is a UFA.

Using expirings like that is so rare.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,078

Post#1826 » by Crives » Thu Mar 7, 2019 7:41 am

jcsunsfan wrote:
AtheJ415 wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:

You misunderstand. It would be a normal four year 48 million dollar deal. But in order to get it, he has to take his early termination offer and opt out of his present deal. I just used the 20 plus 8x3 to show that he gets the same money in the end. Right now TJ is owed $19 million and change for next year. But he can opt out of that contract if he wants. He would be stupid to do that of course unless we make it worth his while. If he is worth $8 million per year on the open market, we could offer him a 4 year 48 million dollar deal, paid out as a normal contract. He gets overpaid for four years for tearing up his $20 million deal this year.

Am I making sense?

I could totally see this happening under the right conditions like
1. TJ needs to play really well to close out the season and we likely need to play close to .5 ball
2. We get Morant in the draft and want him to learn from the bench for 1-2 years
3. We Keep Oubre/Holmes and possibly Bender as backup 4
4. There is a fa pf we really like for starting Lineup but need more cap space (maybe Mirotic)
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,891

Post#1827 » by Qwigglez » Thu Mar 7, 2019 11:04 am

jcsunsfan wrote:
AtheJ415 wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:

Am I making sense?

But why do that? The extra $9 million doesn’t really give us that much more to work with, not enough to get a top tier free agent anyway. Meanwhile we are handcuffed to a backup Pg for another 4 years now. I don’t feel this solves our problems in the short term or long term.
JDJ26
Junior
And1: 506

Post#1828 » by JDJ26 » Thu Mar 7, 2019 1:23 pm

Should the Suns go after Rondo? I can't see him being on the Lakers next season. He can help take the pressure off of Booker being the primary playmaker and scoring option. He could also help Ayton get easy shots.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,984

Post#1829 » by Fo-Real » Thu Mar 7, 2019 1:31 pm

LukasBMW wrote:
Fo-Real wrote:If we somehow did win the Zion sweepstakes with the first pick, would any of you trade it (Zion) for Ben Simmons?

NO! But only because Simmons has Rich Paul as an agent.

Same with AD. Normally I'd trade Zion for AD, but not anymore given AD and Rich Paul are in bed together.

Plus I just remembered that I think Simmons will try to push his way to LA at some point also.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,316

Post#1830 » by King4Day » Thu Mar 7, 2019 1:42 pm

Saberestar wrote:
DarkHawk wrote:
Blonde wrote:People talking sign and trades should know that they are extremely rare, especially for an RFA who a team would like to retain, like Brogdon. A sign and trade is pretty much limited to players forcing their way onto a particular team, not simply to help a recieving team afford a player. Also, there is no financial incentive for the traded player to be moved via sign and trade under the new CBA, so it is even more rare.

I think it'll be possible with Brogdon. They just paid Bledsoe. It would be odd for them to give Brogdon the same contract. I'd think they could use a Warren on a cost controlled contract.

I just fear we'll overpay for Rozier :banghead:

Brogdon is playing SG a lot, no problem at all for them.

On the court maybe. But financially, they just gave Bledsoe $70 mil. They have to pay Middleton probably $100 mil (at least). If they win a title this year, then they may as well run it back and dip into the tax. But if they come up short, or don't reach the finals, it'll be hard to convince ownership of a small market to go through the next few seasons as a tax payer.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,316

Post#1831 » by King4Day » Thu Mar 7, 2019 1:46 pm

JDJ26 wrote:Should the Suns go after Rondo? I can't see him being on the Lakers next season. He can help take the pressure off of Booker being the primary playmaker and scoring option. He could also help Ayton get easy shots.

Assuming we don't land any PG's, I would be OK with it.

I'd rather make an all-in push for Kemba or Brogdon, but I realize that won't be easy.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
Fo-Real
General Manager

Post#1832 » by Fo-Real » Thu Mar 7, 2019 1:46 pm

Gotta send a fruit basket to Danny Ainge for not taking Mc D's offer of a protected 1st for Terry. Now he stayed and **** the bed for most of a season so either you got to distance him from his playoff anomaly and see either he is not even really good, or not worth the money he thought he would command. Boston now will have to keep him and Kyrie is out the door.
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,831

Post#1833 » by BobbieL » Thu Mar 7, 2019 1:58 pm

DarkHawk wrote:
JDJ26 wrote:Should the Suns go after Rondo? I can't see him being on the Lakers next season. He can help take the pressure off of Booker being the primary playmaker and scoring option. He could also help Ayton get easy shots.

Assuming we don't land any PG's, I would be OK with it.

I'd rather make an all-in push for Kemba or Brogdon, but I realize that won't be easy.

Rondo might not be a bad option. Rankin from AZRepublic mentioned him a couple weeks ago. He is getting $9m this year so he wouldn't be more than that. And since I think the Suns need at least three if not four players added, non draft picks: PG, PF, another guy that can shoot threes at minimum -- he will help spread the cap dollars . Still prefer Brogdon Collison or Rubio.

tyler Johnson has been pretty good lately. He would be a very nice bench player. Granted - hard to see him on the roster at 19.4m unless Warren, Jackson and the top pick are moved (well two of those three). But Oubre, Melton, Holmes, Tyler Johnson and a good three point shooting forward might be some decent bench options.
Fo-Real
General Manager

Post#1834 » by Fo-Real » Thu Mar 7, 2019 2:16 pm

Keep an eye on Cheick Diallo as a restricted free-agent, he is starting to flash (bigs take longer) and the Pels are going to have a lot of moving parts with the ins and outs this offseason with all the drama of AD, Holiday, Randle opting out and who comes in and out as far as trades. Dont know what they match as far as his offers. If Holmes falls through or asks for too much, he can play C and maybe even still be developed as a Pf, he has a good mid-range game, moves well enough, and blocks shots. Just an eye out for him. Or Nerlens who will without question laugh at his player option and seek new money.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,686

Post#1835 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Mar 7, 2019 2:18 pm

DarkHawk wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
DarkHawk wrote:
I think it'll be possible with Brogdon. They just paid Bledsoe. It would be odd for them to give Brogdon the same contract. I'd think they could use a Warren on a cost controlled contract.

I just fear we'll overpay for Rozier :banghead:

Brogdon is playing SG a lot, no problem at all for them.

On the court maybe. But financially, they just gave Bledsoe $70 mil. They have to pay Middleton probably $100 mil (at least). If they win a title this year, then they may as well run it back and dip into the tax. But if they come up short, or don't reach the finals, it'll be hard to convince ownership of a small market to go through the next few seasons as a tax payer.
I think it's likely they keep Brogdon unless he gets a contract that's so crazy they just simply think it's a bad long term commitment.

While they are a small market their owners are a group of hedge fund billionaires so they certainly can afford to pay the tax for a year until Snell and illysova come off the books and they get back under so the repeater tax wouldn't be a problem. Plus they just built a new arena and are drawing well. But the biggest reason I don't see letting him walk is they need to do everything they can to show Giannis they are committed to winning so that he signs a new deal when he's extension eligible in a couple years.

Lopez is the player who likely leaves because he signed a 1 year deal so they can only offer him a 125% raise on the 4mil he's making this year. Mirotic is probably next most likely because they already have illysova. Brogdon and Middletown are most likely to return.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 15,044

Post#1836 » by Saberestar » Thu Mar 7, 2019 2:39 pm

Fo-Real wrote:Keep an eye on Cheick Diallo as a restricted free-agent, he is starting to flash (bigs take longer) and the Pels are going to have a lot of moving parts with the ins and outs this offseason with all the drama of AD, Holiday, Randle opting out and who comes in and out as far as trades. Dont know what they match as far as his offers. If Holmes falls through or asks for too much, he can play C and maybe even still be developed as a Pf, he has a good mid-range game, moves well enough, and blocks shots. Just an eye out for him. Or Nerlens who will without question laugh at his player option and seek new money.

I really like Diallo as a first big coming from the bench, but I think that the Pelicans are gonna match any reasonable offer.
Fo-Real
General Manager

Post#1837 » by Fo-Real » Thu Mar 7, 2019 2:43 pm

Saberestar wrote:
Fo-Real wrote:Keep an eye on Cheick Diallo as a restricted free-agent, he is starting to flash (bigs take longer) and the Pels are going to have a lot of moving parts with the ins and outs this offseason with all the drama of AD, Holiday, Randle opting out and who comes in and out as far as trades. Dont know what they match as far as his offers. If Holmes falls through or asks for too much, he can play C and maybe even still be developed as a Pf, he has a good mid-range game, moves well enough, and blocks shots. Just an eye out for him. Or Nerlens who will without question laugh at his player option and seek new money.

I really like Diallo as a first big coming from the bench, but I think that the Pelicans are gonna match any reasonable offer.

I would assume that they should and would but as I mentioned this off season is going to be a **** show for them. No Idea what they are gonna have incoming from AD trade and all of the other decisions they have to make. Just wanna keep an eye on them if they lose sight of him and steal him. Im still looking at an athletic long capable Pf to play next to Ayton. Diallo could be kinda in the mold to be used like a Jaren Jackson next to him.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,686

Post#1838 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Mar 7, 2019 2:51 pm

Read on Twitter

Having more steals than turnovers is a great stat.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,341

Post#1839 » by Frank Lee » Thu Mar 7, 2019 2:59 pm

Fo-Real wrote:Gotta send a fruit basket to Danny Ainge for not taking Mc D's offer of a protected 1st for Terry. Now he stayed and **** the bed for most of a season so either you got to distance him from his playoff anomaly and see either he is not even really good, or not worth the money he thought he would command. Boston now will have to keep him and Kyrie is out the door.

AND it got McDripDick fired.... Well played Danny
What ? Me Worry ?
Waylay13
Rookie
And1: 904

Post#1840 » by Waylay13 » Thu Mar 7, 2019 3:08 pm

Rondo is a pass first point guard who is still a solid player but I really think he doesnt like the Suns. He has crapped on the Suns enough even when we didnt have anything really to deal with him. Some how I dont see him even interested in talking with the Suns.

Just say no to idiots!!

Return to Phoenix Suns