Thoughts in General, Rumors, etc 4.0

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

ejftw
General Manager
And1: 4,189

Re: Thoughts in General, Rumors, etc 4.0 

Post#1961 » by ejftw » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:42 pm

NYG wrote:Do the Clippers have any positive value players outside of Kawhi, George and Mann?

Zu, Batum...I'd say Ibaka as well. Then BJ and Keon should also have positive value.

Though, the headline and article is squadoosh.

Resistance wrote:
ejftw wrote:
Resistance wrote:
32. How long must a player be with one team before the Larry Bird exception can be used?

Bird rights accrue for a player signed to a Two-Way contract (see question number 82) the same as for a player signed to a standard NBA contract.

Thanks.

Hoping Clips are able to find a way to keep Coffey wit his birds

I just looked at his stats and he is better than at least one SG that has three years of NBA service and joined the league as a first round pick in the same year that Coffey did as a Two Way.

What is a fair salary for Coffey and do the Clippers love him enough to match an Offer Sheet with a salary in that area of a fair salary?

I, personally, would give Amir a 3/15 deal, maybe 3/18 with the final year being non or partial guarantee. Though, is guess his market value is around the minimum, maybe the BAE, so it bodes well for the Clips if they chose to keep him
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,993

Post#1962 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:56 pm

Im not buying anything major but am a believer in not worrying about sunk costs. It should not matter how good a pick they convey.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Anybody buying this? One the one hand, PG does have a history of upper body issues keeping him out. On the other, it's Fischer, and the article talks about "taking a step back" in a "gap year" without acknowledging that OKC has their unprotected 1st.

Sent from my LGMP450 using RealGM mobile app
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,684

Post#1963 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:05 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Im not buying anything major but am a believer in not worrying about sunk costs. It should not matter how good a pick they convey.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Anybody buying this? One the one hand, PG does have a history of upper body issues keeping him out. On the other, it's Fischer, and the article talks about "taking a step back" in a "gap year" without acknowledging that OKC has their unprotected 1st.

I mean I agree, and obviously that would inure to OKC's benefit, but I don't really see the point in a sell-off if it doesnt yield an asset like a better draft pick. Maybe you do something with Ibaka and Bledsoe, but I would think you'd want to still try to make the playoffs if possible. Why not?
Consequence
Lead Assistant
And1: 262

Post#1964 » by Consequence » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:08 pm

In that article, there's a proposed Bledsoe - Dragic swap. What's the compensation like for that when LAC adds to their tax bill for this year but gets off $4 million for next?
ejftw
General Manager

Post#1965 » by ejftw » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:14 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:Im not buying anything major but am a believer in not worrying about sunk costs. It should not matter how good a pick they convey.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

I mean I agree, and obviously that would inure to OKC's benefit, but I don't really see the point in a sell-off if it doesnt yield an asset like a better draft pick. Maybe you do something with Ibaka and Bledsoe, but I would think you'd want to still try to make the playoffs if possible. Why not?

Which is why it's an absolute attention seeking piece by Fisher. Clippers selling doesn't help the pick situation (they also didn't tank after tearing down Lob City, when they had picks) and they aren't going to be able to clear useable cap space for the summer in any case either.

Just makes absolutely no sense. Trimming the fat and giving Batum a chance to compete, maybe. But selling?

No
loserX
And1: 26,047

Post#1966 » by loserX » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:25 pm

NYG wrote:Do the Clippers have any positive value players outside of Kawhi, George and Mann?

If nobody else wants Batum, Utah will happily take him. He'd be a terrific fit here.

Zubac I would also have as positive, and some of their kids (Johnson, Boston) on the basis of potential, not production.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,981

Post#1967 » by K_chile22 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:28 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Yeah, I'm not buying it either. It would make sense if they had valuable expiring guys for example, refill the asset base and use those assets to make next year's team better, but everyone on the roster that they'd be willing to part with is at best worth a blah second so why not just keep them around for next year?

Maybe the sitting PG and Kawhi part could be true but not the sellers part
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,684

Post#1968 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:32 pm

I'd be interested in taking on Ibaka for a few seconds.

I wonder about something like Bledsoe, Ibaka, Keon for Favors, Kenrich?

They save a ton of money.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,594

Post#1969 » by Colbinii » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:37 pm

K_chile22 wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:

Yeah, I'm not buying it either. It would make sense if they had valuable expiring guys for example, refill the asset base and use those assets to make next year's team better, but everyone on the roster that they'd be willing to part with is at best worth a blah second so why not just keep them around for next year?

I'm quite sure they are willing to reduce the tax bill and I expect them to come trade deadline, assuming they drop even more in the standings.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
ejftw
General Manager

Post#1970 » by ejftw » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:40 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:I'd be interested in taking on Ibaka for a few seconds.

I wonder about something like Bledsoe, Ibaka, Keon for Favors, Kenrich?

They save a ton of money.

Not giving up Keon in a situation like this.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,981

Post#1971 » by K_chile22 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:47 pm

Colbinii wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:

I'm quite sure they are willing to reduce the tax bill and I expect them to come trade deadline, assuming they drop even more in the standings.
Sure, but they'll probably be "selling" players no one wants, like Ibaka, where they're actually paying someone to take him
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,898

Post#1972 » by eminence » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:52 pm

Batum would certainly generate a lot of interest around the league I'm sure, but that doesn't save them much money.

Among their guys who are currently owed real money (not including Kawhi/PG) - Bledsoe/Morris/Kennard/Jackson/Ibaka/Zubac... I don't really see much positive value. Zubac probably the best bet there, but also the guy I think they'd least want to sell.

I dunno, it's an odd one.
I bought a boat.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,701

Post#1973 » by zimpy27 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:29 pm

I think Morris+Bledsoe for Harris is an interesting deal.

Philly save 15m in the offseason which means they can afford to be hard-capped by.
Clippers get a 3rd wing with PG and Kawhi. Harris has some playmaking chops that haven't been used in Philly but would be useful with Clippers.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,711

Post#1974 » by NYG » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:29 pm

What pick(s) could they get for Zubac or Batum?
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,107

Post#1975 » by tidho » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:13 pm

Maybe package Batume with Winslow. That's $7M out, if you bring back a $5.5M expiring, saves you some cash this year and clears cap next.

I'm sure somebody has a TPE they'd be willing to send for Ibaka too.
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,799

Post#1976 » by toooskies » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:33 pm

NYG wrote:What pick(s) could they get for Zubac or Batum?

I'd compare Batum to last year's RoCo deal. Older, but less salary due. Portland probably overpaid, but Batum probably gets a late 1st at a minimum.
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,522

Post#1977 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:46 pm

Simmons for PG13 type of deal? Assuming PG13 can get playoff ready.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,701

Post#1978 » by zimpy27 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:56 pm

kobe_vs_jordan wrote:Simmons for PG13 type of deal? Assuming PG13 can get playoff ready.

This always felt like a perfect trade match. I just can't see PG13 back on a team with coach RIvers and then also with Seth Curry.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,641

Post#1979 » by HornetJail » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:32 pm

toooskies wrote:

I'd compare Batum to last year's RoCo deal. Older, but less salary due. Portland probably overpaid, but Batum probably gets a late 1st at a minimum.

i will eat my own sock if Batum is traded straight up for a 1st round pick
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,800

Post#1980 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:39 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
toooskies wrote:

i will eat my own sock if Batum is traded straight up for a 1st round pick

Yeah, I think he tops out at a good second.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.

Return to Trades and Transactions