Magic Exercising 20-21 Option on Fultz

Moderators: cupcakesnake, infinite11285, Dirk, Harry Garris, ken6199, zimpy27, bwgood77, bisme37, KingDavid, Domejandro

Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,799

Re: Magic Exercising 20-21 Option on Fultz 

Post#21 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:10 pm

VanWest82 wrote:I am absolutely stunned. Fultz has proven to be nothing short of a giant headache for everyone involved so far in his NBA career. He has accomplished nothing. Why not at least make him go through camp and show progress against actual NBA competition before picking up the option? What's the downside?

Even if Hammond has been attending private workouts over the summer where Fultz has looked great, it still doesn't make sense. Fultz's agent deserves a raise. He should get to keep half of the 12M.

Beyond the stupidity from the Magic's perspective, I don't see how it helps Fultz's development to once again have something handed to him without having to earn it.

Fultz has proven to be nothing short of a giant headache for everyone involved so far in his NBA career.

For Philly sure, but definitely not to the Orlando Magic

Why not at least make him go through camp and show progress against actual NBA competition before picking up the option?

Why did Ben Simmons get a max contract the second he was eligible? Why didn't the 76ers at least wait until he made an actual NBA 3pt shot before committing so much money?

What's the downside?

Same downside as above if Philly decided to wait until next summer and the same reason why Dallas extended Porzingis after a season ending injury.

Even if Hammond has been attending private workouts over the summer where Fultz has looked great, it still doesn't make sense.

Actually, it makes perfect sense.

I don't see how it helps Fultz's development to once again have something handed to him without having to earn it.

Fultz lacks confidence, if you dont see how this helps his development then I genuinely dont think you truly understand his situation.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
BNM
Analyst
And1: 4,239

Post#22 » by BNM » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:38 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:What if he loses an arm in car accident (extreme example).

It might actually improve his shooting.

Spoiler:
Come on, that was too easy. You knew somebody was going to go there.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,134

Post#23 » by GeorgeMarcus » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:52 pm

VanWest82 wrote:I am absolutely stunned. Fultz has proven to be nothing short of a giant headache for everyone involved so far in his NBA career. He has accomplished nothing. Why not at least make him go through camp and show progress against actual NBA competition before picking up the option? What's the downside?

Even if Hammond has been attending private workouts over the summer where Fultz has looked great, it still doesn't make sense. Fultz's agent deserves a raise. He should get to keep half of the 12M.

Beyond the stupidity from the Magic's perspective, I don't see how it helps Fultz's development to once again have something handed to him without having to earn it.

As a Sixers fan, I don't think it's fair to call Fultz a headache at any point. He did nothing but work hard and keep his head down. The media narratives about the nature of his condition generated the perceived headache.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Saints14
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,718

Post#24 » by Saints14 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:55 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:This should be extremely encouraging for Magic fans with regard to his development. There was no pressure to extend him now, and it's not like his cap hold is insignificant. Right?

The Magic were in a difficult spot. This isn't an extension, this is picking up his option - meaning if they opt against it, and Fultz comes back healthy and blows up, the Magic can only offer him something like 120% of what he is making this year. On the other hand, they've now committed $12M to 20-21 for a guy who might give them nothing. I'm guessing the sunk cost fallacy had some sway here, since they already invested in Fultz it would be a real shame for him to fulfill (even 80% of) his potential and then not be able to retain him.
PlatinumState
Starter
And1: 2,840

Post#25 » by PlatinumState » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:57 pm

Question is: is he even gonna play this upcoming season and if so, when?
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#26 » by TheFinishSniper » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:10 am

Just remember Bulls picked up option on Cameron Payne back in day. Bad front offices do bad decisions.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,768

Post#27 » by HMFFL » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:13 am

He can profit from this and future small deals. If no improvement is made it will be the end within 5yrs or not having any success.
Some guys just aren't made for the NBA spotlight even on a small scale.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by GeorgeMarcus » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:17 am

Saints14 wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:This should be extremely encouraging for Magic fans with regard to his development. There was no pressure to extend him now, and it's not like his cap hold is insignificant. Right?

The Magic were in a difficult spot. This isn't an extension, this is picking up his option - meaning if they opt against it, and Fultz comes back healthy and blows up, the Magic can only offer him something like 120% of what he is making this year. On the other hand, they've now committed $12M to 20-21 for a guy who might give them nothing. I'm guessing the sunk cost fallacy had some sway here, since they already invested in Fultz it would be a real shame for him to fulfill (even 80% of) his potential and then not be able to retain him.

Yeah "extend" wasn't the right word. My point in the OP was that they could have waited to see how he does the next 2 months before making a final decision, but they were confident enough to pull the trigger now. To me that seems telling.

GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by GeorgeMarcus » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:19 am

TheFinishSniper wrote:Just remember Bulls picked up option on Cameron Payne back in day. Bad front offices do bad decisions.

Yeah but Payne was making chump change by comparison. $12.3 mil is what, 3rd highest on the team? Doing this without reason goes beyond incompetence; it would be pure insanity. Rightly or wrongly, I am giving the Magic FO (and Fultz) the benefit of the doubt.

mtron929
Head Coach
And1: 5,270

Post#30 » by mtron929 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:07 am

It's crazy. I suspect that Fultz has the highest salary per minutes played out of anyone in the history of the game. My math might be a bit off but thus far, he is making about 58,000 dollars per minute played in the NBA. Comparatively, Lebron has "only" made around 5000 dollars per minute played. This means that Fultz has made a mind-boggling 3.5 million dollars per hour played in the NBA.
Saints14
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,718

Post#31 » by Saints14 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:31 am

GeorgeMarcus wrote:
Saints14 wrote:

Yeah "extend" wasn't the right word. My point in the OP was that they could have waited to see how he does the next 2 months before making a final decision, but they were confident enough to pull the trigger now. To me that seems telling.

Good point, must mean something that they did it this early in the process
dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,674

Post#32 » by dorkestra » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:00 am

Fultz is going to be just incredible. What a steal by Orlando
folks who quote what I wrote get choked
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,422

Post#33 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:11 am

Not. Did you see how well Evan Fournier played for France? Magic shoulda cut bait on Fultz. His salary is like 10 mil!! That money could be used more effectively and efficiently.
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,791

Post#34 » by VanWest82 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:47 am

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:
Fultz has proven to be nothing short of a giant headache for everyone involved so far in his NBA career.

Why not at least make him go through camp and show progress against actual NBA competition before picking up the option?

Why did Ben Simmons get a max contract the second he was eligible? Why didn't the 76ers at least wait until he made an actual NBA 3pt shot before committing so much money?

What's the downside?

Same downside as above if Philly decided to wait until next summer and the same reason why Dallas extended Porzingis after a season ending injury.

Even if Hammond has been attending private workouts over the summer where Fultz has looked great, it still doesn't make sense.

I don't see how it helps Fultz's development to once again have something handed to him without having to earn it.

Fultz lacks confidence, if you dont see how this helps his development then I genuinely dont think you truly understand his situation.

The difference is Simmons has already proven to be an all star based on his production in games. He would have gotten the max regardless but the Sixers ensured he'd sign for the full five years by doing it early. Fultz has proven nothing and wouldn't necessarily get any contract past this season let alone 12M. If his confidence is so shattered to the point that he can't handle training camp with the uncertainty of his option hanging in the balance then that pretty much says everything about his future in the NBA.
TheRealKaboom
Sixth Man
And1: 1,716

Post#35 » by TheRealKaboom » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:56 am

GeorgeMarcus wrote:

As a Sixers fan, I don't think it's fair to call Fultz a headache at any point. He did nothing but work hard and keep his head down. The media narratives about the nature of his condition generated the perceived headache.
What condition?

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 11,989

Post#36 » by basketballRob » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:06 am

Even if Hammond has been attending private workouts over the summer where Fultz has looked great, it still doesn't make sense. Fultz's agent deserves a raise. He should get to keep half of the 12M. ,

It wasn't private workouts that the Magic attended. He's been in Orlando working out at the Magic's facility all summer with the Magic's coaching staff.

It's not a huge gamble when you consider his size, handle, and athleticism. He's 21 now and hopefully healthy and mature enough to endure a full season.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
BoogieTime
General Manager
And1: 2,856

Post#37 » by BoogieTime » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:11 am

GeorgeMarcus wrote:
Magic_Johnny12 wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
It's breathing life into those comments Caron Butler made

And Gordon/Isaac comments.

We fans dont expect much and wont get too excited until we see him actually on the court, but this easily could be one of the biggest steals of the decade if all pans out.

Yeah we were in a bad position but that trade was garbage. Easily Brand’s worst as GM.

You’d have to pick with Brand. He hasn’t done a good job, and it’s reminiscent of early Vlade.

But I don’t think it’s a huge deal to pick up Fultz’ option given the terrible FA landscape this coming year and Orlando’s position in it. They don’t have much else to spend it on
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 11,989

Post#38 » by basketballRob » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:16 am

IAMZOOTED2 wrote:

Not. Did you see how well Evan Fournier played for France? Magic shoulda cut bait on Fultz. His salary is like 10 mil!! That money could be used more effectively and efficiently.
They will be over the cap either way. So if they didn't sign him, we wouldn't be able to sign another player.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 51,783

Post#39 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:18 am

By the time Fultz actually learns how to play/shoot and makes any difference he's going to be an RFA and have to be paid accordingly. and that's thinking optimistically that he will.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,242

Post#40 » by Sixerscan » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:24 am

VanWest82 wrote:
Magic_Johnny12 wrote:

What's the downside?

The difference is Simmons has already proven to be an all star based on his production in games. He would have gotten the max regardless but the Sixers ensured he'd sign for the full five years by doing it early. Fultz has proven nothing and wouldn't necessarily get any contract past this season let alone 12M. If his confidence is so shattered to the point that he can't handle training camp with the uncertainty of his option hanging in the balance then that pretty much says everything about his future in the NBA.

Yeah I mean the fact that Simmons coming off an all star appearance signed a full 5 year deal while Porzingis coming off a lost season got 4 years and a player option is a pretty clear example of the advantages of locking certain guys up early.

As far as Fultz goes... if they wanted to pick up his option I can see the argument there really wasn't any point in waiting. Even if he shows progress in training camp he can always regress like he did last year. At a certain point you just have to decide whether you're committing to him or not.

Return to The General Board