Could Team Balkan beat Team USA?

Harper4Ferry?
Starter
And1: 78

Re: Could Team Balkan beat Team USA? 

Post#21 » by Harper4Ferry? » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:10 pm

Capela is Swiss I thought.

Also the team Balkans was never an entity, but team Yugoslavia actually was. I think that still gives you everyone in the first post except Giannis.
MarcusBrody
Starter
And1: 3,824

Post#22 » by MarcusBrody » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:11 pm

The US perception of the Balkans is heavily influenced by the conflicts in the 90s associated with the breakup of Yugoslavia. There aren't too many people who think about the earlier period of "Balkanization" with the breakup of the Ottoman and Austro-Hungarian empires, where Greece absolutely was part of the Balkan League with Serbia and Bulgaria against the Ottomans.

I think the Balkan team stands a legitimate chance. Giannis is not easy to guard by anyone and Jokic is actually a really tough cover for AD. With solid shooters around them and Luka bringing the ball up, I think that's a very complementary team. Their big challenge is of course wing defense.
TheHartBreakKid
General Manager
And1: 4,341

Post#23 » by TheHartBreakKid » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:14 pm

the olympics version of team USA sure, but make it the best team that the USA can offer and they don't really have much of a chance in a 7 game series, even if you make the opponent team Europe or even team Rest of the World.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,815

Post#24 » by SelfishPlayer » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:23 pm

If Trae Young and LaMelo Ball are allowed on the team, there is no iteration of an international team that can beat Team USA.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,785

Post#25 » by Bergmaniac » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:24 pm

GusT15 wrote:I just realized,reading some posts in this thread,that even though for most of the world and for Greeks included,Greece is definitely considered a Balkan country,for citizens of the other countries in the Balkan Peninsula,Greece is apparently NOT a Balkan country...

I am a citizen of another Balkan Peninsula country and I certainly consider Greece to be a Balkan country.
walk with me
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,373

Post#26 » by walk with me » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:38 pm

Steph/Dame/CP
Harden/beal/Mitchell
Lebron/Kawhi/butler
Draymond/Randle/Bam
AD/sabonis (US born)/wood
Henry Turner
Starter
And1: 99

Post#27 » by Henry Turner » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:12 pm

Team usa would be clear favorites, but dont buy that the euro team would have no shot. Luka, giannis and jokic might end up being the 3 best players in nba this year. Add 2 shooters and they can keep it close. Just yday jokic raped the wc finalists in phoenix and a luka-giannis combo is as sick as it can be.
"I can promise to be sincere, but not to be impartial" Goethe
Hogesy
Sophomore
And1: 145

Post#28 » by Hogesy » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:28 am

Nigeria beat Team USA didn't they? Its sport of course any team can win, so yes.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,788

Post#29 » by Pachinko_ » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:09 am

Harry Garris wrote:
GusT15 wrote:I just realized,reading some posts in this thread,that even though for most of the world and for Greeks included,Greece is definitely considered a Balkan country,for citizens of the other countries in the Balkan Peninsula,Greece is apparently NOT a Balkan country...

Anyways,as for the thread question,that is a team with huge defensive issues for the Balkans-no matter how great their offense would be...

Geographically Greece is most definitely a Balkan nation. But perhaps due to the geopolitical attitudes in the region, the rest of the Balkans don't feel like Greece belongs in their club.

Really? I didn't know that, at school in Greece we were definitely taught that Balkans is a peninsula that includes Greece.
And it's more than geography, there's historical and cultural ties as well, the main one being that we are mostly Christian and not Ottoman.
And there's basketball reasons as well, you will struggle to find a country that has more former Yugo players and coaches than Greece.

Maybe in other Balkan countries they exclude Greece because it was never part of the communist block, that's the only reason I can think of.
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,575

Post#30 » by gavran » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:24 am

Anyways,as for the thread question,that is a team with huge defensive issues for the Balkans-no matter how great their offense would be...

LOL, what a terrible map. Geographical borders do not follow current country borders. Also Jokic is from the Carpathian basin, not the Balkans.
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,143

Post#31 » by DroseReturnChi » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:26 am

yes jokic+ doncic= world domination.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
-Luke-
Starter
And1: 4,173

Post#32 » by -Luke- » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:06 am

Let's just call it former Yugoslavian countries and that's still a very good team. Not sure about beating USA but it's possible.
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,743

Post#33 » by lars_rosenberg » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:10 am

If you say Balkans, Greece is included. Technically Greece islands are not, just the mainland.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balkans

Starting 5:

Doncic
Bogdanovic
Bogdanovic
Giannis
Jokic
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,838

Post#34 » by AussieBuck » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:49 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
SkyBill40 wrote:
draftnightsuit wrote:
Team USA won gold with Durant and the C-list team.

The difference here is that the level of talent they'd be facing per the OP, it wouldn't be the cake walk you present it to be. There's a real chance the US doesn't come out on top.
Kawhi on Luka
Steph on Bogdanavic
KD on Giannis
LBJ on Mirotic
AD on Jokic

Yeah, I'm easily taking Team USA by a wide margin.

KD guarding Giannis gets taken into the post and dunked on.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,478

Post#35 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:06 am

AussieBuck wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
SkyBill40 wrote:
The difference here is that the level of talent they'd be facing per the OP, it wouldn't be the cake walk you present it to be. There's a real chance the US doesn't come out on top.
Kawhi on Luka
Steph on Bogdanavic
KD on Giannis
LBJ on Mirotic
AD on Jokic

I disagree but for the sake of argument, Klaw can go on him then.
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#36 » by AussieBuck » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:08 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Kawhi on Luka
Steph on Bogdanavic
KD on Giannis
LBJ on Mirotic
AD on Jokic

lol same thing happens. Kawhi guarding Giannis is myth without Gasol waiting behind him.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,478

Post#37 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:16 am

AussieBuck wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:KD guarding Giannis gets taken into the post and dunked on.

lol same thing happens. Kawhi guarding Giannis is myth without Gasol waiting behind him.
Strongly disagree. I'm not sure there is video evidence to corroborate either of your claims.

But even in your hypothetical, where Giannis dunks on every top current USA players head with ease, I'm taking Team USA over OP's line-up.
Sakkreth
Starter
And1: 3,414

Post#38 » by Sakkreth » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:46 am

Fiba rules team Balkan wins, don't even need Giannis.
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#39 » by AussieBuck » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:49 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:I disagree but for the sake of argument, Klaw can go on him then.

Strongly disagree. I'm not sure there is video evidence to corroborate either of your claims.

But even in your hypothetical, where Giannis dunks on every top current USA players head with ease, I'm taking Team USA over OP's line-up.

Small forwards are all too small
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
picko
Starter
And1: 3,469

Post#40 » by picko » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:04 am

The best US team would win more often than not - due to greater depth in top end talent - but that Balkans squad would clearly be able to win. It's delusional to suggest otherwise.

Return to The General Board