ImageImageImageImage

Is LeBron James tampering with the 2024 NBA Draft?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,980

Re: Is LeBron James tampering with the 2024 NBA Draft? 

Post#21 » by thelead » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:29 am

I’m not the biggest LeBron fan but him wanting to play his last season with his son is awesome. A dad that wants to spend more time with his son and share an entire season playing for the same team should be commended IMO.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,424

Post#22 » by pepe1991 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:12 am

Lebron's middle name is tampering. Everything he has done since he left Cavs for first time was manipulations, tampering and even having own player's agency. Guy is living Wendy Bryde from Ozark.

NBA can be just bunch of good boys and can't say anything because they allowed single person to be bigger than brand.
Bronny James isn't even that talented, for start he has nothing on Lebron's size & strenght. Guy is 6'3 guard at age of 17 and i highly doubt he will have some epic growth and arive in nba being 6'7 or taller. Teams who draft him will probably be in 5#-14# lottery range just to lure Lebron.
Not to mention that i highly doubt that kids grew up being millionaires will ever put hard work to reach next level. Their inner motivation simply isn't as strong since they have huge safe net to fall on. Much like Jordan sons never became anything. ( similar situation, Jeffrey Jordan is nowhere near as athletic and wery small for basketball player 6'1, Marcus, same story, 6'3 and elected to finish school and forge own career path).

In general, by 2024 Bronny might decides to not play basketball or, since he is Lebron's son, he gets crushed by college hoops because every single kid out there will target him to make a name for himslef.
It's funny that most of famous dads has much shorter sons, even Klay is much shorter than Mychal is, even Dell is taller than Steph. Kind a shows how most super tall people are more of genetic anomaly more than anything else.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
three3d
Junior
And1: 86

Post#23 » by three3d » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:21 pm

I personally feel conflicted because as a dad I think it would be awesome to do that, and despite what LeBron has done to make fans dislike him in the NBA ( The Decision - Super Teams ) he seems to be a good parent that cares and family man. BUT tell me a bottom level team that wouldn't salivate to take a chance with Bronny knowing LeBron is basically included in the package and could also have or should have expectations of Free Agents LeBron could bring with him for his last season. What it comes down to for me is yea I see this helping move his son up in the draft and that is tampering when he included himself with his son. That is wrong no matter how cool the story is.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,159

Post#24 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:01 pm

drsd wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:Have a feeling Lebron will sign a 1 year deal and just be an end of bench vet who rarely plays but will get all the benefits of being involved with his son's 1st year as an NBA player. Some team will take that and likely benefit from it but Orlando would be foolish to do that. It'll be Knicks, Cleveland, Brooklyn or Miami if I had to guess

James has total power here. He signs a contract trough 2023/24. And in the 2024/25 season signs a LLE deal with whatever team drafts his son. That is not tampering.

But let's say his son is a mid-range 2nd rounder. Then the drafting team might really drafting young Bron to get Dad on a super cheap contract.

facts, Lebron has all the power and is making sure his son is lined up for LIFE.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,159

Post#25 » by Def Swami » Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:36 pm

pepe1991 wrote:Lebron's middle name is tampering. Everything he has done since he left Cavs for first time was manipulations, tampering and even having own player's agency. Guy is living Wendy Bryde from Ozark.

NBA can be just bunch of good boys and can't say anything because they allowed single person to be bigger than brand.
Bronny James isn't even that talented, for start he has nothing on Lebron's size & strenght. Guy is 6'3 guard at age of 17 and i highly doubt he will have some epic growth and arive in nba being 6'7 or taller. Teams who draft him will probably be in 5#-14# lottery range just to lure Lebron.
Not to mention that i highly doubt that kids grew up being millionaires will ever put hard work to reach next level. Their inner motivation simply isn't as strong since they have huge safe net to fall on. Much like Jordan sons never became anything. ( similar situation, Jeffrey Jordan is nowhere near as athletic and wery small for basketball player 6'1, Marcus, same story, 6'3 and elected to finish school and forge own career path).

In general, by 2024 Bronny might decides to not play basketball or, since he is Lebron's son, he gets crushed by college hoops because every single kid out there will target him to make a name for himslef.
It's funny that most of famous dads has much shorter sons, even Klay is much shorter than Mychal is, even Dell is taller than Steph. Kind a shows how most super tall people are more of genetic anomaly more than anything else.

Steph and Klay kind of go against your theory of "kids growing up millionaires will work less hard?" I feel like it's murkier than that. I think a lot of offspring of former pro athletes also have an advantage of knowing what it takes to make it at the next level and how to be a professional. It's something I think can be an advantage (ie. Donovan Mitchell, Jaren Jackson, etc.).
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,159

Post#26 » by Def Swami » Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:40 pm

What father wouldn't want to play with their son? Sounds like a dream for him. There's probably no greater reward for Lebron.
LDNMagic90
Bench Warmer
And1: 859

Post#27 » by LDNMagic90 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:40 pm

I think it's cool for a father to want to play with his son in professional sports, infact I'd be curious to know how many sports players have had that kind of experience at a professional level?

In regards to what Pepe said I think it depends on how a kid has been brought up, remember a lot of NBA players didn't come from middle class to upper class backgrounds they were in environments that were generally poor. So with that said most of the players that have come from poor backgrounds do not want to go back to being poor, so by the time their in the league and have kids etc Some of them would drum it in their kids heads that they need to not take things for granted and everything can get taken away from them, also they would probably make them earn things from them. That approach would help a lot of kids that are born into wealth, obviously some have the 'silver spoon' attitude toward life so it wouldn't matter so much but i do think a reason for that is their upbringing from parents.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,991

Post#28 » by Xatticus » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:14 pm

LDNMagic90 wrote:I think it's cool for a father to want to play with his son in professional sports, infact I'd be curious to know how many sports players have had that kind of experience at a professional level?

In regards to what Pepe said I think it depends on how a kid has been brought up, remember a lot of NBA players didn't come from middle class to upper class backgrounds they were in environments that were generally poor. So with that said most of the players that have come from poor backgrounds do not want to go back to being poor, so by the time their in the league and have kids etc Some of them would drum it in their kids heads that they need to not take things for granted and everything can get taken away from them, also they would probably make them earn things from them. That approach would help a lot of kids that are born into wealth, obviously some have the 'silver spoon' attitude toward life so it wouldn't matter so much but i do think a reason for that is their upbringing from parents.

There is no silver spoon syndrome. Poor kids play team sports. That's how it has always been.

There is a difference between middle class and working class in this country. Nevermind that middle class was a contrived designation to distract from Marxist notions, research has established that the lower end of the middle class in this country parents their children differently than does the upper end of the middle class.

If you want to incentivize hard work, then you reward it. We do not incentivize hard work, because it's just cheaper to pay for unskilled labor, especially in lesser developed countries where federal labor laws don't apply.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#29 » by pepe1991 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:35 pm

Def Swami wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:Lebron's middle name is tampering. Everything he has done since he left Cavs for first time was manipulations, tampering and even having own player's agency. Guy is living Wendy Bryde from Ozark.

Steph and Klay kind of go against your theory of "kids growing up millionaires will work less hard?" I feel like it's murkier than that. I think a lot of offspring of former pro athletes also have an advantage of knowing what it takes to make it at the next level and how to be a professional. It's something I think can be an advantage (ie. Donovan Mitchell, Jaren Jackson, etc.).

At college i was huge fan of espn radio & Mychal Thompson and on multiple occasions he said that money he made in nba wasn't enough for him & his family to make living like today's players can. And if you look at it, he only made $2,4M in his career, and that's from salary, now keep in mind players don't keep all the salary and taxes & agent take like 45% of that. So yea, Klay probably could affort himself brand new Jordans in 1990s but let's not act he was kid growing up in $8M penthouse or had empire like Mychal's teammates Magic & Kareem could afford to their kids.

With Dell is bit different, he made more ,bit below $20M, so Steph was "millionaire", but keep in mind Dell stopped playing 31 years ago and Steph also has brother ( Seth) and sister and Dell is just 57 years old ( and just got divorced :lol: ) so it's not like Steph would get all his money if he didn't play. Also his net worth nowdays is $8M, in past it was far less. Very nice living, but again, given his age and fact Steph is not only child , it would take some time for Curry to "enjoy" father's money. And agian, not situation like it's Jordan kids who's grand- grand grand kids will still won't need to work anything
LDNMagic90
Bench Warmer

Post#30 » by LDNMagic90 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:38 pm

Xatticus wrote:
LDNMagic90 wrote:I think it's cool for a father to want to play with his son in professional sports, infact I'd be curious to know how many sports players have had that kind of experience at a professional level?

There is no silver spoon syndrome. Poor kids play team sports. That's how it has always been.

There is a difference between middle class and working class in this country. Nevermind that middle class was a contrived designation to distract from Marxist notions, research has established that the lower end of the middle class in this country parents their children differently than does the upper end of the middle class.

If you want to incentivize hard work, then you reward it. We do not incentivize hard work, because it's just cheaper to pay for unskilled labor, especially in lesser developed countries where federal labor laws don't apply.

Cool video! I'm not much of a baseball fan, I've never tried to get into it to be fair one day I shall.

About the bolded part, you are generally right... A lot of the sports we watch are deemed as 'working class' sports. I didn't go to a private school or anything, but when I do ask my colleagues that have about their experiences playing sport, their experiences are not the same. I grew up playing soccer, basketball and a bit of track. Most of these guys if they did play a sport were playing cricket, rugby and tennis. I loved tennis growing up but my family weren't able to support training me to take it serious so i went with football instead.

I completely hate the class system everywhere, not sure if you are from the UK but over here it's really bad especially in London. A lot of people are shocked when they travel over and they see how bad homelessness is and how many families are heavily reliant on food banks etc. A lot of people that are higher class think that it's fine and thats where the problem starts, but thats a topic for another day that'll love to get into.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,991

Post#31 » by Xatticus » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:23 pm

LDNMagic90 wrote:
Xatticus wrote:

Cool video! I'm not much of a baseball fan, I've never tried to get into it to be fair one day I shall.

About the bolded part, you are generally right... A lot of the sports we watch are deemed as 'working class' sports. I didn't go to a private school or anything, but when I do ask my colleagues that have about their experiences playing sport, their experiences are not the same. I grew up playing soccer, basketball and a bit of track. Most of these guys if they did play a sport were playing cricket, rugby and tennis. I loved tennis growing up but my family weren't able to support training me to take it serious so i went with football instead.

I completely hate the class system everywhere, not sure if you are from the UK but over here it's really bad especially in London. A lot of people are shocked when they travel over and they see how bad homelessness is and how many families are heavily reliant on food banks etc. A lot of people that are higher class think that it's fine and thats where the problem starts, but thats a topic for another day that'll love to get into.

I'm from the States, though I spent a few years of my early childhood there, which is why I'm an Ipswich Town fan. I'm glad you expounded though, as I was wondering. I've assumed that was the case for a long time though.

I harbored a certain perception of people from the UK, probably based on Brit TV shows and movies that have been exported to the US, that was completely shattered when I actually met British football fans. They were a collection of some of the most crass individuals I've ever met in my life, which is a far cry from what you generally see in some Sherlock Holmes flick or reporting for the BBC. I'm not trying to denigrate people from the UK. It was a bit of culture shock and I've since assumed that there were many commonalities between the lower classes of both of our countries.

I grew up in the south and in a working class family, so I played team sports. The racial compositions just aren't the same from sport to sport. Wealthy kids don't generally play football or basketball growing up. White kids are more likely to play baseball or soccer. The exceptions tend to be when there is a familial lineage involved with a particular sport.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
LDNMagic90
Bench Warmer

Post#32 » by LDNMagic90 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:45 pm

Xatticus wrote:
LDNMagic90 wrote:
Xatticus wrote:

I'm from the States, though I spent a few years of my early childhood there, which is why I'm an Ipswich Town fan. I'm glad you expounded though, as I was wondering. I've assumed that was the case for a long time though.

I harbored a certain perception of people from the UK, probably based on Brit TV shows and movies that have been exported to the US, that was completely shattered when I actually met British football fans. They were a collection of some of the most crass individuals I've ever met in my life, which is a far cry from what you generally see in some Sherlock Holmes flick or reporting for the BBC. I'm not trying to denigrate people from the UK. It was a bit of culture shock and I've since assumed that there were many commonalities between the lower classes of both of our countries.

I grew up in the south and in a working class family, so I played team sports. The racial compositions just aren't the same from sport to sport. Wealthy kids don't generally play football or basketball growing up. White kids are more likely to play baseball or soccer. The exceptions tend to be when there is a familial lineage involved with a particular sport.

Oh wow that’s cool! That’s really interesting that you support Ipswich town I hope one day they can return to the premier league!

Yeah a lot of football (soccer) fans here are just straight hooligans, it’s such a shame because it puts people off the sport. Majority of the fans that are 'yobbish' are your typical ignorant racist Brits(don’t worry not all us Brits are like that lol). It’s put me off sometimes going to watch games because it’s not an environment I want to be in. Ironically, this type of Brits I’m talking about seem to be the same as some Americans are it’s similar views. It’s funny you mentioned TV as well because a lot of Americans I’ve met have said something similar but I can’t fault anyone because TV gives you a stereotype of things that are quite far removed from the truth.

And it’s really interesting because a lot of kids growing up here would play football and that’s deemed as a poor sport to a lot of wealthy people, people like me(I’m of Afro-Caribbean heritage) would generally only play football because that’s all we had in our neighbourhoods.

It’s always good to find out a bit about some of our Magic posters! :D Sorry for hijacking the thread guys lol
Magic#1
General Manager
And1: 1,115

Post#33 » by Magic#1 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:59 pm

It probably is, but LeBron will get away with it. Bronny does appear to be a legit prospect so he could move up as there's a lot of time for him to do so. But if he stays in the early-mid second rounder, I would be dumbfounded if a team at the end of the first doesn't take him. Even maybe in the mid-late first. Those are all playoff teams. You're already a good team and then you get one year of LeBron for taking a player who is still a decent prospect? That could give you a championship for one year. You're already trying to win, and LeBron for one year might put you over the top just to draft a player 10-15 spots higher than he has value.
But I don't think this puts Bronny in the lottery, at least not in the top 10. Teams aren't going to pass on far better prospects for one year of LeBron. Maybe I'll be wrong and a greedy owner forces the hand of the GM/coach, but teams are in the lottery because they need better long-term talent.
Kent
Veteran
And1: 1,190

Post#34 » by Kent » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:56 pm

I'd welcome both of them here, personally.
Ryan Anderson = Pat Garrity 10.0
-LBPTarHeel27
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#35 » by pepe1991 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:23 am

Bronny will be overdrafted and probably won't do well in nba.
Guy,for what i saw, in highschool, is 10 ppg player.

Guy is 6'2 guard. He is nothing like his father, and he is turning 18 this year.

This is size of Bronny today.

This is 17 years old Lebron

So yea... Bronny wont' be your Lebron 2, more like what Luke Walton is to Bill and what G. Payton II is to G. Payton I.

:dontknow:

As for Lebron, he has one more year with Laker, he is turning 38 on start of this year.
So you are getting 39 years old Lebron for one year. Other than PR stunt, not sure what will addition of him do for a team. Probably nothing, just like Wizards didn't have much from Jordan.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,260

Post#36 » by cedric76 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:38 am

pepe1991 wrote:Bronny will be overdrafted and probably won't do well in nba.
Guy,for what i saw, in highschool, is 10 ppg player.

Guy is 6'2 guard. He is nothing like his father, and he is turning 18 this year.

This is size of Bronny today.

This is 17 years old Lebron

So yea... Bronny wont' be your Lebron 2, more like what Luke Walton is to Bill and what G. Payton II is to G. Payton I.

:dontknow:

As for Lebron, he has one more year with Laker, he is turning 38 on start of this year.
So you are getting 39 years old Lebron for one year. Other than PR stunt, not sure what will addition of him do for a team. Probably nothing, just like Wizards didn't have much from Jordan.

If his dad wasn't Ledouche, bronny wouldn't be drafted, plain and simple
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)