ImageImageImage

Ime Udoka Thread – (CotM, February & March/April, 2022)

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Mr_Mojo_Risin
Analyst
And1: 7,262

Re: Ime Can Stay for a While Longer 

Post#21 » by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:46 pm

djFan71 wrote:
hickfromfrenchlick wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

I just didn't want to bump that other thread lol.

A lot of posters here should keep their day jobs, too

Pfff.... now you tell me. I already fired myself after a poor first month on the job.

I didn’t know I could fire myself, severance here I come!!!
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,453

Post#22 » by djFan71 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:15 pm

Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:
djFan71 wrote:
hickfromfrenchlick wrote:
A lot of posters here should keep their day jobs, too

Pfff.... now you tell me. I already fired myself after a poor first month on the job.

I didn’t know I could fire myself, severance here I come!!!

Pffft... now you tell me. I should gotten severance!
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 94,358

Post#23 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:44 pm

Read on Twitter
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,743

Post#24 » by reload141 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:58 am

I accept all kinds of tributes from everyone who was wrong.

Mainly the snow type of tribute.

Actually, that is the only form of tribute.

Comedian, how far can I take this thread?....
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,469

Post#25 » by Feed Your Head » Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:04 am

reload141 wrote:Image

Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 9,315

Post#26 » by Bad-Thoma » Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:46 am

reload141 wrote:Image

zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#27 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:41 am

Read on Twitter

Yeah, get everyone involved, get everyone touches and they'll be more motivated to play the other end of the court. It's human nature. Ball movement and team play on offense have unquantifiable benefits.

Just wasn't the case past few years and early this season. Props to the Jays for maturing and buying in.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#28 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:52 am

Read on Twitter

zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#29 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:26 pm

Read on Twitter

Ime now owns the best record among newly-hired coaches this season. None of the other rookie coaches will have a record above .500.
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#30 » by greenroom31 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:54 pm

It is absolutely insane that posters were calling for Ime to be fired less than 10 games into this season. I still remember the "worst ever (0-3) home start" campaigners... terrible.
London2Boston
General Manager
And1: 12,413

Post#31 » by London2Boston » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:33 pm

I thought he was a clown earlier in the season. He’s making me eat humble pie and I love it. Long may it continue.
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,743

Post#32 » by reload141 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:57 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Ime now owns the best record among newly-hired coaches this season. None of the other rookie coaches will have a record above .500.

zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#33 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:36 pm

Read on Twitter
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#34 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:10 pm

Read on Twitter

Someone we know was part of that 2016 Spurs team.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,469

Post#35 » by Feed Your Head » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:21 pm

The Celtics are one of the three or so most prepared teams in the league. No matter how different an opponents gameplan is, we find ways to slow it down.

The Nuggets run a million back door cuts when Jokic has the ball, I can think of one or two times the entire game where someone got beat on a back door cut.

The Jazz take all of their shots either at the rim or from three, almost never take any mid range shots. The Celtics were up in that ass on picks, to not allow clean looks from three, and when the Jazz tries to take them off the dribble, the defenders funneled them right into Rob or Al at the rim. So the Jazz ended up taking a bunch of mid range shots, which is completely out of their comfort zone.

This has been going on for months, taking the other teams preferred style of play, away from them. The only time I’ve been annoyed with coaching decisions recently was when they kept trapping Luka and then not recovering fast enough. But that’s just as much on poor execution by the players.

Otherwise? This coaching staff has been OUTSTANDING.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,437

Post#36 » by Hal14 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:17 pm

The Comedian wrote:The Celtics are one of the three or so most prepared teams in the league. No matter how different an opponents gameplan is, we find ways to slow it down.

The Nuggets run a million back door cuts when Jokic has the ball, I can think of one or two times the entire game where someone got beat on a back door cut.

The Jazz take all of their shots either at the rim or from three, almost never take any mid range shots. The Celtics were up in that ass on picks, to not allow clean looks from three, and when the Jazz tries to take them off the dribble, the defenders funneled them right into Rob or Al at the rim. So the Jazz ended up taking a bunch of mid range shots, which is completely out of their comfort zone.

This has been going on for months, taking the other teams preferred style of play, away from them. The only time I’ve been annoyed with coaching decisions recently was when they kept trapping Luka and then not recovering fast enough. But that’s just as much on poor execution by the players.

Otherwise? This coaching staff has been OUTSTANDING.

All of that is true. but i'm not sure it's been that way all season. There was even one game earlier in the season (can't remember which one off the top of my head) where he was even quoted post game saying that he should have done a better job preparing the team for that game. and i remember all the haters were so quick to reply to that tweet by saying "that's the coach's job! fire Ime!"

Then there was all the big leads we blew earlier in the season. the knicks game on opening night where we struck gold by switching rob onto randle and only switching 1-4, but we didn't do that adjustment until way late in the game - by then it was too late, if we made the adjustment earlier, we would've won.

I'm simply saying that:

a) Udoka and his staff have been awesome these last 2-3 months
b) there was some rough patches with the coaching earlier in the season
c) the rough patches earlier in the season with coaching can probably just be chalked up to the fact that it was such a new coaching staff. Udoka is a 1st time head coach. Other than him and Hardy being assistants together in SA, none of these guys have worked together before. Some of them don't even really have much assistant coaching experience at the NBA level. So some rough patches early was to be expected. A learning curve was to be expected. These guys had to get used to working with each other, figure out who was going to do what and when, get used to the players and they needed time to get the players used to the system, get the players fully bought in to the system, etc. Now that the training wheels are off for this coaching staff, we are seeing something really special.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,514

Post#37 » by chrisab123 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:29 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Pop almost got fired by the Spurs in his first year and ended up as the winningest coach in NBA history. He lucky RealGM didn't exist yet in 1996.

He might have also never went back to San Antonio if Tarkanian kept his job past 20 games and Red McCombs still owned the club. Lots of interesting dominos with the Spurs
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#38 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:06 pm

sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 9,147

Post#39 » by sam_I_am » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:51 am

When Ime Udoka took the job he made headlines for calling out Brad and the team for having one of the lowest team assist average in the NBA and vowed to do better:

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2021/06/ime-udoka-wants-celtics-to-play-more-team-basketball-next-season-after-team-finished-27th-in-assists.html

Here we are now with #1 rated offense over last month or so and the ball is popping. It is beautiful basketball and Udoka deserves the lion share of the credit for teaching these guys and bringing his vision into fruition. Kudos to Brad for having the humility to step aside and giving the players what they knew they needed.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#40 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:59 am

Yeah, fans (especially me) were just impatient, thinking it all had to happen within the first month of his rookie stint. Assist% last season was 27th up to 14th this season. It's basically the same core so I think getting the buyin from the Jays and Smart was key to the change in playstyle. Passing is contagious. When the top guys show willingness to share that ball regardless of short-term results, it trickles down to the rest of the team. Addition of White and infusion of PP just supercharged that selfless, team-first mentality.

Return to Boston Celtics